• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
also, with Quadruple witching on Friday, there will be a lot of weird moves probably in the next two days at the open and close. Probably had something to do with the close today. Wonder if Wall Street will want to pay out all the Put holders on Friday or where there be some shenanigans I bet.

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
What's the lowest you're expecting Dow to go? Just for fun, make your predictions.

I feel like we are, as bad as it sounds, pretty far away from the absolute bottom. I'm expecting 12k at the very bottom.

'bout you guys?

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this is stupid or not but TSLA hit my Limit Order I set up last week at $355, so that was a good chunk of my spending money I had to sit on (on top of my reoccurring contributions). Just waiting on Disney and Microsoft to hit my other orders and then I'm sitting.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the lowest you're expecting Dow to go? Just for fun, make your predictions.

I feel like we are, as bad as it sounds, pretty far away from bottom. I'm expecting 12k at the very bottom.

And you guys?
100% guess I think we might see 11k. But I'll start doing big buys at 15k. I'm doing a bit of buying for every thousand, but it's not adding up to much.
I don't know if this is stupid or not but TSLA hit my Limit Order I set up last week at $355, so that was a good chunk of my spending money I had to sit on (on top of my reoccurring contributions). Just waiting on Disney and Microsoft to hit my other orders and then I'm sitting.
Tesla will easily be going below 250 in the coming months. I don't usually say numbers with that much certainty, but....

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like we are, as bad as it sounds, pretty far away from the absolute bottom. I'm expecting 12k at the very bottom.

'bout you guys?
14k maybe. Really hard to say though. A month ago I never would have made that guess.

I'm doing a bit of buying for every thousand, but it's not adding up to much.
Same but I think I need to give it a rest at least til April. Every deal I've grabbed has turned out to not be a deal. I find comfort in being only 30 and having no need to cash out.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still guessing 15k is the bottom, but it maybe it'll dance and bounce below and above that line? 15k average seems like a safe bet.. ... for the next few years hahaha... :(

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
100% guess I think we might see 11k. But I'll start doing big buys at 15k. I'm doing a bit of buying for every thousand, but it's not adding up to much.

Tesla will easily be going below 250 in the coming months. I don't usually say numbers with that much certainty, but....
Oh you are probably right, I can either dump it if it goes up much or hold on long term. I'm not super picky. At least I'm not buying at 900+ :/

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I also see Tesla tanking in the short term. Their recent rally was fueled by memes and an inflated bull market. Now that we're coming back down to reality I don't see how anyone can justify that share price. Musk was smart to raise another $2 billion at the top last month.

...once it does drop, though, I'll probably buy some. Long term I still see huge potential.

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
Relief and green on signing and pushing relief bill. How long it'll last? Maybe a week, who knows.
Ironically probably around the same time that the new testing numbers are going to be showing up.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The 2008 financial crisis didn't bottom out in a couple of months. It was well over a year, closer to a year and half before it hit rock bottom. This crash could still be a long way away from the bottom.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Looks like floor trading will be halted starting Monday and the NYSE will transition to fully-electronic trading for the foreseeable future due to positive COVID tests on the floor.

www.cnbc.com

NYSE to temporarily close floor, move to electronic trading after positive coronavirus tests

The closure was in part as a result of positive coronavirus tests of two people, Stacey Cunningham, President of the NYSE, told CNBC.
So we can expect even more jank and wild swinging. lovely.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like floor trading will be halted starting Monday and the NYSE will transition to fully-electronic trading for the foreseeable future due to positive COVID tests on the floor.

www.cnbc.com

NYSE to temporarily close floor, move to electronic trading after positive coronavirus tests

The closure was in part as a result of positive coronavirus tests of two people, Stacey Cunningham, President of the NYSE, told CNBC.

Sounds like they didn't make it to the floor, though. Did I read that part right?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
So Fidelity has a big banner after you logon about "navigating a volatile market". Small bit of comfort for someone who has lost possibly hundreds of thousands at this point. Still glad I moved everything to a fixed savings. Haven't lost a dime since then (obviously, I mean how could I).

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Fidelity has a big banner after you logon about "navigating a volatile market". Small bit of comfort for someone who has lost possibly hundreds of thousands at this point. Still glad I moved everything to a fixed savings. Haven't lost a dime since then (obviously, I mean how could I).
just focus on how incredibly lucky you are to have that much money to lose in the first place.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

'bout you guys?

I'm not a market expert or anything but it all depends how long this damn virus lasts. As of right now, unlike 2008, nobody appears to be sitting on a bunch of toxic assets - yet.

I work in commercial banking so it seems to me like it's a matter of how long cash reserves will be keeping "AAA" credits afloat so they can pay their workers and keep making their debt payments.

Once shit starts defaulting across the board who knows where the bottom will be if banks start failing too?

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
Yeah I gotta say, didn't expect volatility to jump ANOTHER 40% overnight.

Didn't know about UVXY. Great less expensive if you don't think TVIX is risky enough!
You figured out the exact reason I went for it. This is my first time so I decided to take a risk with some money I was willing to part with.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
For someone who deals exclusively in diversified mutual funds, is there really a better strategy now than continuing to invest on a regular basis (previously set up with automatic transactions), along with buying index funds manually every so often as the market drops lower?

I'm buy-and-hold, although I've got enough to play around with if I had the inclination. But for conflict of interest and financial disclosure reasons, I don't want to hold individual companies.

What are the appeals of TIVX and UVXY? (Like, I'm literally VTSAX/VTIAX basically, plus some USAA funds.)

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017

www.cnbc.com

They should have suspended floor trading on Monday, along with everything else in the country

Haz

You have seen.
Oct 25, 2017
For someone who deals exclusively in diversified mutual funds, is there really a better strategy now than continuing to invest on a regular basis (previously set up with automatic transactions), along with buying index funds manually every so often as the market drops lower?

I'm buy-and-hold, although I've got enough to play around with if I had the inclination. But for conflict of interest and financial disclosure reasons, I don't want to hold individual companies.

What are the appeals of TIVX and UVXY? (Like, I'm literally VTSAX/VTIAX basically, plus some USAA funds.)
Gambling on volatility basically. There have been plays on it, but it's crazy ballooned right now, I wouldn't touch it. There's too much 'easy' money to take instead of trading that imo.

Could purchase Oil and Silver ETFs if you were inclined, or ETFs like SPY if that's not in conflict of interest.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Gambling on volatility basically. There have been plays on it, but it's crazy ballooned right now, I wouldn't touch it. There's too much 'easy' money to take instead of trading that imo.

Could purchase Oil and Silver ETFs if you were inclined, or ETFs like SPY if that's not in conflict of interest.
Thanks for the reply! Any particular benefit to SPY vs. VTSAX since the latter also contains mid- and small-cap holdings? I've never dealt with ETFs before. My investing strategy is mostly just Bogle-based, but fueled by laziness.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The 2008 financial crisis didn't bottom out in a couple of months. It was well over a year, closer to a year and half before it hit rock bottom. This crash could still be a long way away from the bottom.
I do think we're a long way from the bottom, however the speed of the drop right now probably has something to do with the advancement of automated, and algorithmic trading. Things just happen faster in the stock market now.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
How do mutual fund managers handle this stuff?

Are they swapping out anything and changing stock/bond ratios right now? Or is it just stick to the plan?

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see polling about his approval ratings a few weeks from now when shit gets worse, unless people were already polled

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
Good evening y'all. Time to plan out my moves for the end of the week, it's gonna be open season so here's some advice:

So I'm sure you all already know about SPY, right? For those who don't, it's basically an ETF that tracks the S&P 500. The corona virus crisis plus the weak American economy has caused it to drop steadily, and those who know how to trade options have been making a killing off of buying puts.

But Thursday and Friday will be different. Why? Because this Friday, over 6 million options on SPY are set to expire. Because SPY has been dropping so hard the past week, that means many of those SPY put options are set to expire in-the-money (ITM). For anyone who knows about options, when an option is about to expire ITM, the broker of the person holding the option will exercise it for them automatically, which means they buy the shares on the market and then sell them to the option seller for the strike price, collecting the profit. That means for all those put options, there's going to be a massive wave of buy orders coming in because brokers are automatically exercising contracts. This will drive up the price of SPY because there will be more buyers than sellers.

But wait, there's more. There will be a big number of options sellers buying SPY for delta hedging purposes (lots of math, not gonna explain), as well as day traders who are too chicken to hold their positions through the weekend. All these things together will result one hell of a short squeeze, and SPY will rally hard on Friday.

More on short squeezes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_squeeze

So here's the play:

I think this short squeeze is gonna happen and pump the price of SPY extremely hard. So what I'm gonna do is buy SPY calls at 270-275 expiring 3/27, that far out primarily to avoid theta decay. The goal is to see what happens with futures and how the market opens tomorrow morning. If it opens green, buy right away. If it opens red, let it dip and then buy to pay less premium.

Then when the witching hour happens (expected about 30 minutes before close), ride the wave up, then quickly sell those calls, and quickly buy SPY puts at 220, expiring 4/17. You'll get them for ultra cheap due to the short squeeze. If corona gets worse (which it probably will), then we'll have more red days to come, and I make money both ways, essentially taking advantage of the market movements and the ongoing crises for massive dollars.

So I could be a genius, I could be totally wrong, but I'll certainly try.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Good evening y'all. Time to plan out my moves for the end of the week, it's gonna be open season so here's some advice:

So I'm sure you all already know about SPY, right? For those who don't, it's basically an ETF that tracks the S&P 500. The corona virus crisis plus the weak American economy has caused it to drop steadily, and those who know how to trade options have been making a killing off of buying puts.

But Thursday and Friday will be different. Why? Because this Friday, over 6 million options on SPY are set to expire. Because SPY has been dropping so hard the past week, that means many of those SPY put options are set to expire in-the-money (ITM). For anyone who knows about options, when an option is about to expire ITM, the broker of the person holding the option will exercise it for them automatically, which means they buy the shares on the market and then sell them to the option seller for the strike price, collecting the profit. That means for all those put options, there's going to be a massive wave of buy orders coming in because brokers are automatically exercising contracts. This will drive up the price of SPY because there will be more buyers than sellers.

But wait, there's more. There will be a big number of options sellers buying SPY for delta hedging purposes (lots of math, not gonna explain), as well as day traders who are too chicken to hold their positions through the weekend. All these things together will result one hell of a short squeeze, and SPY will rally hard on Friday.

So here's the play:

I think this short squeeze is gonna happen and pump the price of SPY extremely hard. So what I'm gonna do is buy SPY calls at 270-275 expiring 3/27, that far out primarily to avoid theta decay. The goal is to see what happens with futures and how the market opens tomorrow morning. If it opens green, buy right away. If it opens red, let it dip and then buy to pay less premium.

Then when the witching hour happens (expected about 30 minutes before close), ride the wave up, then quickly sell those calls, and quickly buy SPY puts at 220, expiring 4/17. You'll get them for ultra cheap due to the short squeeze. If corona gets worse (which it probably will), then we'll have more red days to come, and I make money both ways, essentially taking advantage of the market movements and the ongoing crises for massive dollars.

Yeah I've been talking about quadruple witching on Friday and how there will be some weird price actions probably tomorrow and friday. Probably first thing in the open and then 5 minutes to close each day with Friday probably going to be bonkers with stocks going up or down 5-10% depending on things. Apple usually goes down because they buy back so much stock they have to rebalance the SPY index and Apple is a net seller but who knows now with everything being destroyed what will happen. I may or may not participate but I'll definitely have my popcorn to watch the Friday close.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
How do mutual fund managers handle this stuff?

Are they swapping out anything and changing stock/bond ratios right now? Or is it just stick to the plan?
Depends on the fund rules. I know some mutual funds were required to to have stop losses applied, so they would have went to cash after a certain amount of loss. I imagine most didn't have such rules. Some can only have a certain percentage of cash or bonds as well, so probably most stuck to the plan and are waiting it out.
Mutual fund managers are probably shitting bricks now and getting all sorts of nervous phone calls.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017

So here's the play:

How do you know how many expiring options there are? How do you know that the buying flurry is enough to move the needle overall?

Legit questions btw, I know very little about option trading.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
So we're all becoming Japan now? What does this mean for our new normal in the future?

(ie. governments buying massive equities)

Status
Not open for further replies.