• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Nobody should be caring about their personal wealth and stocks right now. (In the sense of growing their pots of money.)

EVERY HUMAN ON THE PLANET is going to lose, and lose badly, financially or personally, in the next 6-12 months. This week is the tip of the iceberg.

We need to be focusing our energies on lobbying governments to reform social and welfare policy to carry the unprecedented amounts of people who are going to experience abject collapse due to the crisis.
Agreed. The sheer number of people swooping into these stock market threads over the past few days, suddenly disposed to invest and asking for a crash course on how, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this carona virus situation at least gives people a better appreciation of retail. The way these stores are restocking for people to get stuff as soon as possible and minimum wage workers battling on the front line in the midst of this virus.

Everyone wondered if retail stores would die out for Amazon. If anything the events right now show the failing of relying on Amazon alone.

Mar 29, 2018
My guess? Not much.

You might see people start taking the flu a bit more seriously, and a subsequent small dip in mortality rates, but this would be ephemeral. The most impact we're going to see is from media.
No.

Look at Italy. They're only days ahead of the rest of the world in terms of infection, and what's happening? Loved ones are being lost every day. Hospitals are overflowing. Jobs, even very "secure" ones, are disappearing into thin air, as if they were never there. Many middle class people's incomes are going from a few thousand a month to 0 a month, effective immediately. Daily purchasing, factories, leisure, all this spending is going down the drain. The holiday, catering and travel markets are collapsing. If you fall ill and have to go to the hospital, you're fucked, because every hospital bed will be filled with COVID victims, even if you have substantial insurance.

The 2008 crash was nothing. The entire system is about to go down and displacement on a personal level is going to be severe.

This is not "mostly media" impact. Human culture will never be the same. If anyone gets out of this unscathed, it'll be the 0.1%. the elite of the elite. Everyone below that is going to feel severe ramifications.

NB: I'm not trying to catastrophise here - a LOT of things will get better because of this... Especially if it leads to the necessary systemic reform. More equality, lower environmental impact (already happening), a better understanding of the global/widespread ramifications of our actions, a realisation that the current economic system is totally unfit for purpose, etc

smh what's that $2 trillion now??? Could that have gone to the UBI for everyone instead of basically wasted?
It's money made within the federal financial system, sent into other financial services like banks. It's not public cash money that can be transferred to any one.

Last edited:

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this carona virus situation at least gives people a better appreciation of retail. The way these stores are restocking for people to get stuff as soon as possible and minimum wage workers battling on the front line in the midst of this virus.

Everyone wondered if retail stores would die out for Amazon. If anything the events right now show the failing of relying on Amazon alone.

People don't rely only on Amazon though. If Amazon didn't exist the lines at stores now would be double.

Not to discount the rest of your post as I agree.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
I checked my 401k again to see if the profit sharing from my employer had hit the account yet. My balance appeared to be at about the same level as it was at the last check, so I initially assumed it hadn't yet.

In actuality, my 401k had lost so much value that it just made it look like my balance hadn't changed despite a five figure amount being added.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
What I want: universal basic income, paid sick leave (for people who don't already have it)

nah, what we need is comprehensive social safety nets. UBI will be used to tear down social safety nets as it'll be a cheaper option and then GOP can complain that we're already giving you money to FURTHER erode things like food stamps, affordable housing, healthcare, social security, etc.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
If we can't bounce back for a day after a 3k point loss, we're far from bottom.

Dollar cost averagers are out of money to average down further, and the speculative deal buyers have bought in.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
if we go back to market lead growth after this then between viral and environmental crisis crashes will only become more frequent and severe

the idea that for a 30 yo things will be just peachy in 30 years and they will make out with long term gains is far from a guarantee

it's entirely possible that the post-recession glory days that America has pushed so hard for are not coming back for a third act

Min

Oct 25, 2017
NB: I'm not trying to catastrophise here - a LOT of things will get better because of this... Especially if it leads to the necessary systemic reform. More equality, lower environmental impact (already happening), a better understanding of the global/widespread ramifications of our actions, a realisation that the current economic system is totally unfit for purpose, etc

But that's not what's going to happen. We'll see legislation like The Patriot Act and that didn't exactly improve society. We don't have a government in place to make the necessary systemic changes to improve the quality of life for citizens in the United States.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
No.

Look at Italy. They're only days ahead of the rest of the world in terms of infection, and what's happening? Loved ones are being lost every day. Hospitals are overflowing. Jobs, even very "secure" ones, are disappearing into thin air, as if they were never there. Many middle class people's incomes are going from a few thousand a month to 0 a month, effective immediately. Daily purchasing, factories, leisure, all this spending is going down the drain. The holiday, catering and travel markets are collapsing. If you fall ill and have to go to the hospital, you're fucked, because every hospital bed will be filled with COVID victims, even if you have substantial insurance.

The 2008 crash was nothing. The entire system is about to go down and displacement on a personal level is going to be severe.

This is not "mostly media" impact. Human culture will never be the same. If anyone gets out of this unscathed, it'll be the 0.1%. the elite of the elite. Everyone below that is going to feel severe ramifications.

You misunderstand me, I am not claiming that people won't be personally affected, I am claiming that the systemic issues that have become evident from this emergency won't be affected.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Friday is quadruple witching day? I forgot this was coming. Will be interesting to see what happens.

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
Friday is quadruple witching day? I forgot this was coming. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Yeah shits going to be wild with the prices 30% off where they were on February, I imagine there going to be some weird / funky price action at the close.

edit - volume is going to be insane too.

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe stupid question but I've been seeing multiple answers: Should I stop putting as much as I am in my 401(k), Roth IRA, and general Index fund right now? Should I divert some of that just into savings at my credit union? Honestly not sure what to do? Luckily, my work shouldn't stop and I'll be able to work from home.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
So what are they gonna do when the jails are full and they don't have anywhere to put people who choose not to pay for things (like bills or even commodities)? More importantly what happens when there's no longer any police or government buildings running? Can the market survive that? This thing is crazy.
If it comes to this then the value of the market is going to be the least of anyone's worries.

NB: I'm not trying to catastrophise here
Really?

Min

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe stupid question but I've been seeing multiple answers: Should I stop putting as much as I am in my 401(k), Roth IRA, and general Index fund right now? Should I divert some of that just into savings at my credit union? Honestly not sure what to do? Luckily, my work shouldn't stop and I'll be able to work from home.

idk... I'd say decide if your saving account can float you for months if you're let go. At the moment I'd be trying to shore up an emergency fund while I have the chance.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How many months can you survive off your Savings/Checking if you are let go? I'd aim for at least 3 months of Savings, but 6 months would be really good.

I am myself keeping myself at 3 months (6 months aiming for though by end of year) and putting more in my investing accounts (both Roth & individual) at the moment cause I know I have a stable income.

Mar 29, 2018
But that's not what's going to happen. We'll see legislation like The Patriot Act and that didn't exactly improve society. We don't have a government in place to make the necessary systemic changes to improve the quality of life for citizens in the United States.
You misunderstand me, I am not claiming that people won't be personally affected, I am claiming that the systemic issues that have become evident from this emergency won't be affected.
I don't disagree with that, but this is a global catastrophe - it needs global solutions. I'm banking on global collaboration to try and fix things, because this is going to be unprecedented. Honestly, even Trump and cronies will not get out unscathed. That's how high and far this is going to go. Big, safe piles of money are going to disappear rapidly.

Also note that any government currently in power will never survive if they don't improve EVERYONE'S lot, immediately, in the next 3 months. If they sit back Trump-style and let the whole population/system collapse, they will never be re-elected or trusted again.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
What does this mean?

Never mind. Google tells me this is when certain indexes expire? Even that I'm confused about.
Yeah it is options and futures expiraton related. Investopedia has a great article on this topic.

www.investopedia.com

Quadruple (Quad) Witching: Definition and How It Impacts Stocks

Quadruple witching refers to a date on which stock index futures, stock index options, stock options, and single stock futures expire simultaneously.

Mar 29, 2018
If it comes to this then the value of the market is going to be the least of anyone's worries.

Really?
A) the first part of my post is stating the facts of what's happening in Italy and affected countries. So no, not "catastrophising" but stating the literal facts of the catastrophe which is happening right now already and will catch up to less-affected areas rapidly

B) in saying human culture will never be the same again, I don't mean it'll be a hellish dystopian apocalypse in 4 months - I mean this will mark a massive paradigm shift in human behaviour and culture - and IMO, mostly for the better. From empathy and perspective to governments and institutions having to step up and reform.

Status
Not open for further replies.