• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't look too much today, the worst is yet to come unfortunately regarding covid

but it looks like we have a minor rally?

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any reason to believe the market will even hit a bottom sooner than later?
I mean, the full effects of the virus aren't known yet in terms of financials and earnings, I find it hard to believe that everything is "priced in" like many people like to say.

My point is, I've seen people say in many places expect a bottom around 17k but what's preventing the virus from continually fucking up the economy beyond that 17k point?
The whole world is fighting at the moment just to contain the virus. Treating it (or even finding a cure/vaccination) and getting the economy back on track is a thing that could take months. A vaccine could even take more than a year, who knows?
no one knows. That's what makes this so exciting*.

*= if people's lives weren't on the line....

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I made a couple purchases yesterday. Would have been even better to purchase today but in the long run it will still be pretty decent. Wish I had some non emergency fund money available to buy up some more of my ETFs

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
disney has basically been moving in line with the Dow Jones.
It will still likely fall more, but if you are worried about missing out you could buy some now. in 2-3 years it will likely be back up in the $130s or so.
I think it's highly dependent on how long movie theaters and their parks remain closed. If they cannot re-open this year, that's going to start scarring investors imo, and be super expensive (in terms of not bringing in all that revenue).

Disney vacations went from costing like 500-1k/night on average, to probably fire sale levels if this goes on past the summer.
it could change yes, but even when disney announced closing its parks it still went up around the same amount as the Dow did.

Thanks, I only have ETFs otherwise, but this seems like a good opportunity to expand a little. And I don't plan on selling in a month or so anyway but wanna keep them for up to 5 years, depending on the market.

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's no dead cat because there's no economy in the world right now tbh. As long as there is liquidity, money will leave the system until the world-freeze going on stops.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
018a5d19-ac74-3d76-bb90-f10c079221ff

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
dow's still up 80 points from the day trump took office. that's pretty nice. 80 is a good big number.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's no dead cat because there's no economy in the world right now tbh. As long as there is liquidity, money will leave the system until the world-freeze going on stops.
This.

Until we get some government injection and assurances and we unfreeze the jobs in this market, we're basically gonna keep going down.

I'm a stock market guy, I'm all for investing, but I will say I have bigger concerns right now. Like the health of my wife as she is in the medical field.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Since we're not close to seeing the full extent of the pandemic the markets will fall a lot more before they turn around.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
At this point there's nowhere to go but down. People are locked down with no cash, businesses are closed and the virus is far from contained.

All your trillions can't save an economy which is crashing hard. I hate to be a "doomer" but honestly I can't see how the market will rebound short-term. In fact what's needed is a vaccine.

Everything is closed until the end of the month here. Ramifications of COVID-19 will be felt for MONTHS, maybe even longer. Everything is delayed (movies, sports, etc.) or cancelled. Small business owners are going broke fast. Even with bailouts it won't be enough because rent/taxes/loss of income won't be paid for.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you look at the markets they're not that bad today. Don't get sucked into how poorly balanced the DOW is.

The S&P500 is (barely) up right now
The DOW is down, but it's composition is mostly up (Only Boeing and McDonalds are really shitting the bed)

The weights in the DOW30 are bad and that's what you guys are looking at.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
So what are they gonna do when the jails are full and they don't have anywhere to put people who choose not to pay for things (like bills or even commodities)? More importantly what happens when there's no longer any police or government buildings running? Can the market survive that? This thing is crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.