• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's hilarious to see the morning gains plummet on my apple stock app while the below headlines tout "MASSIVE COMEBACK" and "Investors say market will recover quickly, buy now!".
Headlines are fucking infuriating. One such is "Stocks surge after worst day since 1987 market crash..."

Mother fuckers, nothing has surged. We've fallen so far from our peak just a few weeks ago that a thousand point swing that is in a constant state of flux as we speak is not surging.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
marketsbypresidentl2jxh.png

Hadn't looked at this chart in a while.
Doing a George W speed run

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We should run a poll that asks what we think will be the bottom once this is all over. For the Dow, specifically, I'll say 16,000 is the bottom.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait until next Friday. It's my last day at my current job, which means I won't require approval for my investment purchases anymore. I want to go all in on VTI but can't at the moment. Meh.

I suppose the bright side is that a week from today, VTI may be even lower.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Quick help if anyone can provide.

Say you're invested in a company since February 2019 and today your investment is down $1,700 overall and honestly you've lost faith in this company and want to just dip out. What happens?

I know I can write off losses up to a specific amount apparently. How does that all work when I do taxes in 2021 and any effect on my remaining funds after I move it into something else?

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Doing a George W speed run

You got me with that one. Laughed pretty hard here in my office.

Wow. What index is that chart tracking?
Looks like cumulative DOW.
% difference from inauguration day of Dow it looks like.

The y-axis shows the total percentage increase or decrease in the DJIA and the x-axis shows the term length in months.

It's basically 100% confirmation that the market is just a run from the recovery under Obama....till the last couple weeks.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This market makes ZERO sense
So. Let's be clear. When there are crashes, the market usually doesn't go STRAIGHT down. In fact, this market has been more downward facing (Probably a result of computer trading making everything faster) than previous crashes. There are usually a lot of bounces in between further drops. 2008 wasn't all drops in a row. It's why it's hard to find bottoms. If you just wait to see when it bounces to invest you're likely just buying a dead cat.

So, this bounce actually makes more sense than another 2k drop immediately.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Profit sharing hits next week. Wondering if I should be investing any of my savings. I don't have a Roth or anything, and I'm perpetually confused about what a Roth even is. I wish I had time to research this stuff in earnest :/

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the speech is tailored towards trying to bump the market (because lol fuck actually helping the American People), so a rise is also possible if he's promising more bailouts or something similar.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the speech is tailored towards trying to bump the market (because lol fuck actually helping the American People), so a rise is also possible if he's promising more bailouts or something similar.
On the one hand, yeah. On the other hand, every single one of his speeches so far have been attempts to goose the market. That hasn't worked out.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Trump is going to try and stop the 3pm est sell off today because his speeches have gone so well lately.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for:
DIS at 80
MSFT at 135
SEDG at 80
SBUX at 55
NKE at 65 (maybe even 60?)

Come on shitty Trump speech

2pac_71

Oct 25, 2017
8.00 a share? So if I bought 20 contracts that would be 16,000?
Yes but I didn't check your option on when it expires. But if you bought a $88 strike for 2.35 for 4,700. And then Disney dropped to $80 at expiry it'll be worth $8 x 20 contracts so 16,000. If Disney deopped to $80 immediately the option might be worth loke $10 depending on how much time till expiry and other factors.

So yeah returns in options are good and why I do it but yeah it's good your doing paper trading to learn first.

If Disney closes above $88 at expiry you lose the 4,700. And if it goes to 85.65 you would break even.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like cumulative DOW.

It's Dow growth since taking office, expressed as a percentage.

The problem has always been the president sees the stock index numbers as indicators of doing well, and they were never really going to keep going up forever, so every time he used something to push the numbers higher, it just baked in that he would have one less tool to use in the event of an emergency.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
We are getting a rollercoaster mix of people selling off and others buying low.
That makes sense. There isn't a whole lot of other investment opportunities with interest rates so low. People want to put their money somewhere. The stock market is not going to be abandoned because it's still the best opportunity.

Tom Penny

Oct 26, 2017
My Valero gas stock was up 70% now it's down 34%. I wonder if I should just take that L because of the sector

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone posted in that thread about Trump speaking at 3pm that it's rumored he will declare a state of emergency. With that said, how does a state of emergency affect the market? Is it seen as a reason to panic or an opportunity to remain hopeful? Historically, how has the market reacted?

Status
Not open for further replies.