• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, as someone with no knowledge whatsoever regarding what this means can someone tell me like I'm a high schooler?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
I love how this thread is being kept open for commentary, but yeah Trump screwed up the markets again today.

The markets actually were rising off of Powell's commentary this morning and then Trump went on his tweet storm to bring it down. And now with the escalation in tariffs there will be more downside to come.

Trump is going to crush US business and consumer with these tariffs, and is doing technical damage to the stock market again. The irony of today is stock market ETFs were getting close to making technical reversals and now Trump made this recovery a lot harder. Embrace the volatility because the market will continue to be 100 percent headline driven and I expect some more wild swings up and down over the next couple months, if not longer. Bear markets have rallies too, sometimes heavy ones.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Traders in my company are coming in on SUNDAY because of Trump's announcement being after the close.

This is going to be a shit show.

Superblatt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I wonder if he is doing this on purpose to manipulate the market, driving down company valuation so his crony friends can make investments before the eventual bounce back. Sounds crazy, but weirder things have occurred.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if he is doing this on purpose to manipulate the market, driving down company valuation so his crony friends can make investments before the eventual bounce back. Sounds crazy, but weirder things have occurred.

That might be an end result that the Republican Party and investors are hoping for, but the man himself isn't that bright.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
If company valuations go down too far, there won't be any bounce back when they go bankrupt.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, as someone with no knowledge whatsoever regarding what this means can someone tell me like I'm a high schooler?

Imagine Sony wants to sell a PS5 for $599 US dollars. With a 10% tariff, the US will charge Sony $60 for every PS5 they import. With a 15% tariff, the US will charge Sony $90 for every PS5 they import. Sony can either eat the cost, or pass it to the consumer (raise prices), or do some combination of the two.

(Sony is a Japanese company but the PS5s will presumably be built and imported from China)

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Sony wants to sell a PS5 for $599 US dollars. With a 10% tariff, the US will charge Sony $60 for every PS5 they import. With a 15% tariff, the US will charge Sony $90 for every PS5 they import. Sony can either eat the cost, or pass it to the consumer (raise prices), or do some combination of the two.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. That's a big yikes...

OP
OP

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
So mostly recovered from all these big down days, but still about 500 points off the all time high.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
So mostly recovered from all these big down days, but still about 500 points off the all time high.
DJNM7zQ.gif

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of when bitcoin was hot, and the tweets from richard branson was affecting the coin market.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Ive noticed since 2017, the DOW gets quite high, then Trump says something dumb on twitter, then it drops, for real someone just take his fucking phone away.

Last edited:

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Might be a historically bad day point wise, depending on where the market finishes. Not too much of a blip percentage wise though as markets arent too far off alltime highs. There was a decent sell-off late last week so we shall see if we run into a similar situation (which looked very scary at the time) to last December and May 2018 as well. This is mostly on China trade news.
and the dow has grown exponentially more where in the past 600 points would represent a larger shift

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Yup, we're bumping this thread again.

Dow is down about 500 points this morning, lost 350 points yesterday following bad news for U.S. manufacturing.
The Dow fell nearly 350 points Tuesday, as stocks finished sharply lower after a key economic report showed that American factory activity fell for a second month in a row in September.

The ISM manufacturing index dropped to 47.8 in September, compared with the Refinitiv consensus forecast of 50.1. A level above 50 marks growth. That was the lowest reading since June 2009, the last month of the recession, according to the Institute of Supply Management, which puts out the report.

The manufacturing sector shrank for the first time in three years in August, according to the ISM index, which measures month-over-month activity, as the effects of the trade war and slowing global demand set in.

Manufacturers cited the US-China trade war as weighing on demand and making materials more expensive, according to the ISM.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
There is no other way to look at it.

Trump's tariffs on foreign materials has wrecked the last vestiges of US manufacturing.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
The very thing he vowed to bring back, he's singlehandedly destroying.

Good fucking job, Trump voters.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada
What are people expecting when your president is tweeting out threats of a coup d'état and a civil war. Of course there is no faith in the US financial system.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
But but
He built buildings in New York right before the housing boom
That makes him a business genius
Don't mind his failures, let's just focus on Trump branded attire at J.C. Penney and how he had a tv show

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
s&p 500 is getting really close to testing 283. However it has the fact that it is really really over sold up to 4 hour timeframe. I'm expecting a bounce today, maybe into tomorrow. With a possible drop again tomorrow due to the economic data coming out.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Losing points in the stock market to own the libs.

Trump will never accept the blame for anything ever. I didn't cause this, you cause this.

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Pretty impressive the net loss is tiny for the last year tho. But I guess no overall increase is generally bad.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I expected this, as I just put a lot of money into my Vanguard ETF's yesterday. Of course, LOL.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Markets have been net flat for a long, long while now. I expect October-December this year being as bad or worse than last year's. Especially if those cell phone tariffs get ratcheted in.

Status
Not open for further replies.