• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Starting to approach the dividend paying quarters yield is nice right now will re-invest the dividends. Keeping plenty of cash aside as expecting the markets to continue falling.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This is no 2008...

This is overblown. Fear and correction.

2008 was an implosion of the financial system.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yep definitely picking up bourbon on way home. Hoping bulls rally later, but not a good start.

My portfolio is down 15% since last Friday!

less

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft enjoying a tiny bump but how long that will last is up in the air.

Apple, ouch. Finally checked the numbers for that it is bad. Of course no surprise given just how much China's issues are going to impact them.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if we bleed out another 10% over the next bit..

I'll be a buyer soon.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Bombs away again, -700 points atm smh 😕. Oh well, still have 30 years till retirement so should be fine, but def sucks for those retiring now/very soon.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
This is no 2008...

I agree with this, there were firms actually going under in dramatic fashion in 2008, with multiple news reports of people walking out of offices with boxes, not just stock market drops.

However, I have to wonder if this entire thing is both industry and markets coming to the realization that an absolute push to lowest cost manufacturing that results in a bottom-price supply chain that lives in one country is not a sustainable path forward. Everyone having to better diversify outside China would be a drag on top-level profits.

less

Oct 25, 2017
However, I have to wonder if this entire thing is both industry and markets coming to the realization that an absolute push to lowest cost manufacturing that results in bottom-price supply changes that live in one country is not a sustainable path forward. Everyone having to better diversify outside China would be a drag on top-level profits.

Ehh. Kinda doubt that anything notable will come of this. Seeking the lowest cost manufacturing is always going to be a priority.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
This is no 2008...

Eh, whilst I'd argue that it won't cause as much lasting damage, if the coronavirus does end up killing hundreds of thousands of people like swine flu did, then the economy could similarly stop functioning properly for a while.

It also doesn't help that some of the big tech stocks (i.e. Tesla) have glaring weaknesses to their business that become really obvious now that the hype's gone.

Edit: I'm kicking myself for not investing in a VIX ETF - it should have been obvious once people starting pulling out of conferences and trade shows.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if everyone was getting margin called because they were leveraged up to the tits and that's what's driving the long slide.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, whilst I'd argue that it won't cause as much lasting damage, if the coronavirus does end up killing hundreds of thousands of people like swine flu did, then the economy could similarly stop functioning properly for a while.

It also doesn't help that some of the big tech stocks (i.e. Tesla) have glaring weaknesses to their business that become really obvious now that the hype's gone.

the economy didn't stop functioning with swine flu though. The normal flu kills hundreds of thousands a year and the economy keeps trucking along.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to throw $500 into VOO but Vanguard's site seems to he getting hammered.

Yeah, Vanguard's site was having issues yesterday too. I kept trying to log in just to look at my investments but the site was periodically locked up.

Thankfully I'm not touching any of my accounts. I like where I have my money and its going to ride for the very long term. Even my TSLA is still way up from where I bought it, though in hindsight I wish I had sold at 900 and was buying back in now. BUT, hindsight is always 20-20, TSLA is going way up over the next few years so I'm not mad.

PhoenixDawn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dow Jones dropping like a fucking rock the past few minutes...

Doesn't seem like it has it in it to break past 25,000 though. I'm guessing it's a bit mental barrier? (talking out my ass here)

edit: nvm, as I say that it exploded below

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thread title should probably be updated to something like Dow Jones sinking amid Coranavirus concerns or something.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
What a great oportunity this week to buy more stocks.

People said that 2 days ago, nearly 10% ago. The thing about market timing is that you dont know what bottom is. Is it a good time to increase 401k contributions? Sure, but with individual stocks your guess is good as any others and we are still 10-15% overvalued.

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe some of Trump's disastrous trade policies are finally being felt? I know he bailed out big farming but thought manufacturing got hit hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.