• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
California
Oct 28, 2017
California
IMO anyone selling you a book on how to invest is intending to profit off of the book so view their advice with skepticism. Ditto Youtubers. If you must read something, read books written by dead people, you don't need to worry about the profit motive if they're dead.

ib1LoGE.png

Thank you!

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Man, last week was a great time to start buying in. Of course my portfolio is, at its limited size, AMD heavy. *nervous laughter*

Well, decent enough of a chance to buy into precious metals/clean energy ETFs and some mutual funds a little.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Only a few points from the 2nd largest DOW single day drop in 3 years.

Guess we'll see where things close.

Guys. I sold everything after the dip and put all of my money into food and ammo for my bunker I'm going to build. How long do you think I'll need to live underground before I can come back up and the world be a normal utopia with no risk?

I'd wait at least 20 years. World War 3 is in 2025, then wait about 15 years after that for the nuclear fallout and civilization to slightly recover.

Edit** Missed the "no risk" part. Just stay underground permanently 👍

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Guys. I sold everything after the dip and put all of my money into food and ammo for my bunker I'm going to build. How long do you think I'll need to live underground before I can come back up and the world be a normal utopia with no risk?

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Worst part about working with a finance firm is the requirement for approval before purchasing stocks. I can only invest in mutual funds without permission. If I ever wanted to take advantage of an option or stock dip on a whim, I have to wait days to even submit the transaction because that's how long it takes them to approve my request. And then by the time Vanguard processes it. Meh

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Key lesson for people not sure about investing: Don't buy a stock today that you wouldn't want to hold a decade from now. If you can't see the company doing well in 10 years, don't buy.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Only a few points from the 2nd largest DOW single day drop in 3 years.

Guess we'll see where things close.

I'd wait at least 20 years. World War 3 is in 2025, then wait about 15 years after that for the nuclear fallout and civilization to slightly recover.
Please don't post stupid shit like this in here.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC

True, just talking straight numbers.

Please don't post stupid shit like this in here.

Uh, the top part is true points wise. (not percentage)

It's straight from the stock market updates on CNBC...which I was looking at. No reason to make a big deal about it, I was just quoting what they put up.

The second part is a joke, just like the person I was quoting was joking. ☺

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Keep in mind, 80-90% of active traders fail to beat the market, the profit in this industry actually comes from selling advice and books and seminars, not from active investment (unless you manage a hedge fund).

www.cnbc.com

Bad times for active managers: Almost none have beaten the market over the past 15 years

Mark 2016 as the latest 'Year of the Stock Picker' that wasn't.

This was an influential book on the topic from a few decades ago:

hHbhh8M.png

The irony of shilling a book about how investment books are a grift is not lost on me.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
My only problem is that I can't get my money from my bank to my Vanguard account to invest it fast enough. Hope it stays down until tomorrow!

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Guess today is a sale day? I'm thinking of buying some, but the virus has yet to hit hard on Germany or France which seems like just a matter of time.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are so many bad posts in this thread whenever it pops back up. 🤦‍♂️

Seriously.

The year is 2010. You give me $100 and I come back and say, "This year was really bad and your $100 dropped 20 RestEra points. Because of that, your money is only worth $15"

The year is 2020. You give me $100 and I come back and say, "This year was really bad and your $100 dropped 8,000 ResetEra points. Because of that your money is only worth $50."

Who had it worse?

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
i think its a dip, dont panic sell guys. Stay strong, buy average down on SPY if you got the cash.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think its a dip, dont panic sell guys. Stay strong, buy average down on SPY if you got the cash.
Just buy total index whenever the money you invest becomes available. Don't wait for these dips at all. And don't invest your emergency fund just because there's a dip.

Basically, if you have money waiting, you probably made a mistake.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I use a roboadvisor to stem my tendency to touch things and also to autoinvest 25% of every paycheque I receive because I am too lazy to do that stuff manually on a regular basis.

My manual account that I did want to try out is all over the place in comparison; I have even made mistakes with buying the wrong thing for the wrong account lol. Human error is so real.

Hopefully the roboadvisor it sees me through a potential downturn well.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I remember reading a report by Schwab that showed 3 or 4 hypothetical investors over a 20 year period given a certain $ amount investment per year.

Person 1 times the market perfectly and bought and sold at the exact right times.
Person 2 invested their yearly allotment immediately at the start of the year.
Person 3 split their annual amount by month.
Person 4 held cash.

The results were that Person 1 obviously had the highest returns, but this is pretty much impossible to attain.

Person 2 was actually not that far behind 1, and the investment strategy was pretty simple. Just invest your money as soon as possible.

Person 3 was next on the list, followed by 4 way down.

TLDR; don't try and time the market.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I use a roboadvisor to stem my tendency to touch things and also to autoinvest 25% of every paycheque I receive because I am too lazy to do that stuff manually on a regular basis.

My manual account that I did want to try out is all over the place in comparison; I have even made mistakes with buying the wrong thing for the wrong account lol. Human error is so real.

Hopefully the roboadvisor it sees me through a potential downturn well.

Interesting, have a link to read up more on your roboadvisor?

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I like Ben Felix a lot. He doesn't have a huge following of people who he is pumping to buy stocks like I think the guy who runs the "financial education" YouTube page does. There are a couple other YouTube creators I follow but they both rely on technical analysis and don't use emotion at all. In fact they laugh at days like today because they think of it as Kabuki theater to use headlines as an excuse to buy and sell stocks.

Also big money is always trying to find a way to steal money from retail traders. Retail traders can out maneuver big money managers but you need to pay attention to the market every day, thus why buy and hold succeeds instead over a long period of time. You don't need to play their game, just need time on your side.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Not on issues of budget or taxation. The Constitution is pretty clear about that
How do you figure he can bypass a GOP controlled Senate? Especially when many Dems won't even go for much of what he wants.
He actually has failed on a number of efforts because of Congress. Killing the ACA for example. And that was with a majority house and senate. Do you really think Bernie is going to come in with a flipped senate and house even if he does win?

EAs won't be able to accomplish what he aspires to do.

The biggest examples off the top of my head is the appropriation of funds from defense to his border wall or how so many of his appointees just languish as 'acting' staff members without ever getting congressional approval. Yes, having a complicit supreme court and Congress helps a lot though.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, have a link to read up more on your roboadvisor?
All the Canadian ones are similarish. Wealthsimple, Nestwealth, Wealthbar, etc.

The Best Robo-advisors in Canada for 2024

Money.ca's picks for the top robo-advisors in Canada. We break them each down giving you the opportunity to compare, select your favourite, and start investing today.

The US has cheaper robos, even if Wealthsimple is trying to expand there (and the UK?) too. In general, Betterment or Wealthfront seem like top choices for autoinvesting in the US.
www.nerdwallet.com

12 Best Robo-Advisors of April 2023 - NerdWallet

The best robo-advisors charge low portfolio management fees and offer a range of services, including tax optimization.

You pay a bit more for the convenience of setting and forgetting (automatic bank payments and investing) and autorebalancing and reinvestment of dividends. If I were less distracted and less error-prone and loved math more, I'd do it myself, but as my self-directed experiment showed me... no, I am not better than robos haha.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Your portfolio grew 102% last year? 0_0

Not a typo. Just a balanced portfolio with some high-beta stocks over-performing. For reference, I could've just bought TQQQ instead and made about the same returns... and that just highlights the insanity that was last year.

I was up over 300% last year. But I actively monitor on a day by day basis. I was also down 40% the year before though so yeah.

Yeah, 2018 was a chaotic year because of the Trump tweets and QT hitting at the same time. It was either late 2017 or early 2018 when I got hit by XIV closing. On paper, I lost maybe $15-20k but my gains were substantially higher than that and I lost them overnight.

Also RE: all the posts about AMD, this is par for the course because AMD is a high-beta stock. It moves fast with the fluctuations and gains/losses of the market. It'll stop moving so hard once the company gets its debt to a better position and has more institutional buyers moving in.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I have never won with Stocks, lost thousands upon thousands of my own money so I don't play anymore.

I bought Amazon 2 years ago, it immediately died (first time ever basically) then it recovered, I sat on it for a while and ended up selling for 1k profit. As soon as I sold a couple months ago, its been climbing steady now at its ATH. Up 25%. So I'll never win and don't play.

Status
Not open for further replies.