• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
theres a part of me inside that wants retro to cancel metroid prime 4 to release a new DK just to make those same people that got angry about tropical freeze upset

its definitely time for a new entry to the series though

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
The ideal scenario is that Retro has already finished a new 2D DK, and that Nintendo is just waiting for the right time to release it. After E3 I'm not so confident in this.

Hopefully we get a Tropical Freeze sequel sooner rather than later.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
What makes DKCRTF so good? Genuine question. I love platformers and have never played it. I own a Switch but it looked "okay" to me. I used to LOVE DKC as a kid.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
What makes DKCRTF so good? Genuine question. I love platformers and have never played it. I own a Switch but it looked "okay" to me. I used to LOVE DKC as a kid.

Pretty much everything. The level design and themes are sublime. Controls are very tight. Graphically beautiful and some of the best music in gaming history. Even the underwater levels are great.

There were complaints about the difficulty on Wii U, but Switch pretty much fixed that allowing ways to play at different skill levels.

Someone made a pretty good comparison of DKTF and NSMBU Deluxe on Switch and the takeaway was that DKTF far outclasses.

(I think its one of the greatest platformers ever made and I'm not alone. Seems like you should be rushing to get it - especially because I think its on sale some places right now.)

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
What makes Donkey Kong Country Returns so good is that you can run by leaf and it's disturbed by the air pressure of Donkey Kong running past.

Either that or it doesn't happen and I just imagined it happening.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Jun 23, 2018
Canada
What if they give Donkey Kong to the Ubisoft Studio that made the modern Rayman games? Those were pretty good installments which in fact were quite reminiscent of DKCR in some aspects. In addition, Ubisoft has proved with the DK DLC for Mario Rabbids that they have a good understanding of the universe and a lot of ambition towards it. They are also occidental and have good relations with Rare staff like Kirkhope, so Dave Wise should be a shoe in then.

I'd rather see them try an approach to Donkey Kong Country than giving it to another Nintendo studio that is not Retro, to be honest. I like Goodfeel games but I'm not sure they would understand modern DKC pacing and gameplay.

Ubisoft: As long as they use Diddy and Dixie this time, and they don't give DK a giant head again I'd be happy with this. Goodfeel can stay the heck away though, really don't want an easy game with bad music.

Really hope they bring back Wise, that's all I can say. I love Kirkhope but nobody can match Wise when it comes to DKC. He gives it ambience but also the booming sense of drama the soundtrack needs to stand out. Hopefully he uses more bass in his next entry though.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
One-hundred percent agreed. I would love to have a third Retro-made DKC that culminates in the return of K. Rool and the Kremlings as the villains while bringing back a bunch of animal buddies besides Rambi. I want to see Expresso, Rattly, Ellie, Squawks (as a stage/gameplay mechanic), and the rest of them make their grand return!

Jan 15, 2019
One-hundred percent agreed. I would love to have a third Retro-made DKC that culminates in the return of K. Rool and the Kremlings as the villains while bringing back a bunch of animal buddies besides Rambi. I want to see Expresso, Rattly, Ellie, Squawks (as a stage/gameplay mechanic), and the rest of them make their grand return!
Besides Rambi?! Fight me.

Edit- Oh wait, I may be misinterpretting you. But I need clarification to set this grudge aside.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
Prepare for K. Rool's grand return to the series.... as a partner character

D9lt44oX4AAE2WJ

They'll need to make bigger barrels to squeeze him into.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Besides Rambi?! Fight me.

Edit- Oh wait, I may be misinterpretting you. But I need clarification to set this grudge aside.

Haha, I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to but I did NOT mean "add in the other animal buddies but take out Rambi." I meant add them in alongside Rambi! I mean, come on -- you can't have DKC animal buddies without Rambi!

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Add an easy mode where there isn't this draconian 2 hits and die epic battles. I'm too old for that SNES shit

Apr 9, 2019
I really don't get this. If anything, Tropical Freeze was the definition of thematic focus and cohesion. Each level and island tell a story, and it's really well done cause it ties to the platforming and level design.

Nocturnowl described it better/more detailed:

I would also recommend watching Jonneh's video of NSMBU vs TF. It's really well done and explains thoroughly why TF is so good and cohesive.

I can see why people love Tropical Freeze so much - I watched all kinds of analysing videos about it's merits before it released on Switch. Autumn Heights especially is a lovely little pocket universe. But I just didn't feel it as much as DKCR.

I've finished it two times (first in normal mode, but couldn't get past the ending to Levitation Station, so started over in Funky Mode and cheesed my way through it with green balloons =P ) but it didn't click the same way for me. I just like the shorter, simpler levels, leaner visual design and unified island of DKCR more.

On-topic: I'm in for a third instalment, if only to know what's been going on at Retro!

Boss-

Apr 20, 2018
I too would love to live in a world where Retro releases 1 game per year, despite not having released one in 5+.

Lets hope at least we get some of this...
DKC 3 had bears (the North) ... Banjo is a bear and assumed he is in the same world.
Nintendo and Microsoft working together --- it can happen!

I want to believe

Jan 11, 2018
I can see why people love Tropical Freeze so much - I watched all kinds of analysing videos about it's merits before it released on Switch. Autumn Heights especially is a lovely little pocket universe. But I just didn't feel it as much as DKCR.

I've finished it two times (first in normal mode, but couldn't get past the ending to Levitation Station, so started over in Funky Mode and cheesed my way through it with green balloons =P ) but it didn't click the same way for me. I just like the shorter, simpler levels, leaner visual design and unified island of DKCR more.

On-topic: I'm in for a third instalment, if only to know what's been going on at Retro!

There is absolutely no shame in preferring Returns to TF. Its a masterpiece. And especially incredible considering Retro had never done a 2d platformer before

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I've been waiting for a new 3d DK for 19 years...
Or any good 3d platformer that isn't Mario.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
Fresh antagonists are fine when you're still grounding the series with its main antagonist in most installments. Otherwise it's just a revolving door of unmemorable nobodies

Look how big Bowser and Ganondorf have gotten, K. Rool deserves the same respect