• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's time the IP goes with a different developer, who maybe takes their own spin on DKC.

Retro's great, but we would be long past the 10th anniversary of Tropical Freeze before they could even get a sequel out.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
I never cared for the look of Retro's DKC games. They look generic to me, like the New Super Mario Bros. series. The enemies are very bland as well. There's no distinct visual style.

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, we get it. You don't like DKC. You don't have to come into every Retro or DKC related thread to make a snide dismissive comment about it like "Retro failed and was put on DK duty" or say it's not "needed". If you don't enjoy the games then just go comment elsewhere!
don'ttellmewhattodo.gif

But you might want to read that again, Prime 4 just started, that'll take at least 3 years. Don't think they have enough staff left over for DKCR3 so it won't happen this gen unless another studio takes over.
Originally envisioned Monster Games taking over for DK, but they're on mediocre nascar game duty.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
don'ttellmewhattodo.gif

But you might want to read that again, Prime 4 just started, that'll take at least 3 years. Don't think they have enough staff left over for DKCR3 so it won't happen this gen unless another studio takes over.
Originally envisioned Monster Games taking over for DK, but they're on mediocre nascar game duty.
What if they did a DKC game in these past 5 years?

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
don'ttellmewhattodo.gif

Then don't always be taking snide digs at the series! The needless negativity on this site is exhausting. Especially telling us we don't need a new game when it's half a decade between titles. Yes, we absolutely do need frequent new games if we ever want people to stop being dismissive like it's an unimportant franchise. How would you like it if people were making comments like that about your favorite games. It adds nothing to the discussion and just creates bad vibes

The next game probably isn't even going to be by Retro or Monster, which would honestly be for the best, it needs something different.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
They need k krol back and the option to play with any monkey during the 1st playthrough. I always prefered diddy kong over anynother monkey. That's why i always loved the snes games. Choose any monkey u prefer

Oct 25, 2017
Then don't always be taking snide digs at the series! The needless negativity on this site is exhausting. Especially telling us we don't need a new game when it's half a decade between titles. Yes, we absolutely do need frequent new games if we ever want people to stop being dismissive like it's an unimportant franchise. How would you like it if people were making comments like that about your favorite games. It adds nothing to the discussion and just creates bad vibes

The next game probably isn't even going to be by Retro or Monster, which would honestly be for the best, it needs something different.
So yeah, I'm open to a DK reboot.
Just think the idea that a DKCR trilogy is a must is a bit weird. Feels like it just comes from "retro did a metroid trilogy, should get a DK trilogy" but that's a continued story in a certain canon of the franchise.
DK will probably get a new game eventually be it from retro in like 5 years or a different studio entirely

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
So yeah, I'm open to a DK reboot.
Just think the idea that a DKCR trilogy is a must is a bit weird. Feels like it just comes from "retro did a metroid trilogy, should get a DK trilogy" but that's a continued story in a certain canon of the franchise.
DK will probably get a new game eventually be it from retro in like 5 years or a different studio entirely

Fair enough. I don't really want a trilogy either, simply because there's no topping Tropical Freeze in this formula, and whatever the sequel is will probably suffer the same way DKC3 did by following 2. But if it has the Kremlings maybe it'll avoid that fate. Or if they were switching up the Kongs or something, maybe. But yeah, I can't see anywhere significant they could go with the Returns series.

I do think a new GAME is a must, but I honestly hope it's not Retro styled. I've had my fill of the formula, and it's too difficult for casual players to enjoy, especially when they don't teach the significance of the roll jump.

I would rather a 3D game, or a different 2D platformer, or a spinoff, or even a remake. I just don't think they're going to waste all the momentum of the brand currently and let it wait until Retro isn't busy. Next year is prime time for another game.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
I enjoyed the new donkey kong country games, but... they just never hit the same notes as the original games.

And I hate that.

They were just too simple, the enemies were terrible, the bonus stuff poor... sure it was a fantastic few games but it just wasn't the same...

For me, I wanted Kremlings, with banana coins, DK coins, bonus challenge areas, and levels/gameplay more akin to the old ones.

But oh well... I still have the old ones :) they are still some of the tightest and amazing games ever made, with 2 being one of my all time fave top 3.

Oct 25, 2017
DK mega-fan chiming in.

I'm conflicted here to say the least.

Say a 'third one' eventuates, people won't jump on it the way they say they would. Difficulty being the main reason. The collectables being another.

I think a stab at 3D is next, and logical. The Mario Rabbids DLC was a successful experiment, iterate on that.

DK64 was ok, but I think that game won't be used as a template again.

DK Isle is like Hyrule or Peach's Castle in that it's never adhered to a clearly defined shape or layout, but I'd like to see a return to the Kremling's base of operations.

I'm not quite sure a luscious jungle DKC-style is achievable just yet, plus, fully three-dimensionally realised variants of places we've already seen in previous games should only be done sparingly (the amusement park, the haunted bayou etc).

The Kongs are a family, and the stuff from the intro movie of Tropical Freeze (the graphics were of course stellar) is something that might seem dumb and silly to most but I loved it.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I would welcome it. I was expecting the Switch would get ONE new DK, Mario Kart, 3D Mario, 2D Mario, 3D Zelda. We only got one of those. And considering the quality of DK Tropical Freeze, I thought a new game would be a given.,

Idontwantit

Alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2019
I'd love a DKC game in the art style of the renders from the SNES game manuals.

I mean look at it! https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clvs/manuals/common/pdf/CLV-P-SAALE.pdf#page=21

minecart2.jpg

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It does, but as wonderful as the series is - in both it's Retro and Rare incarnations - wouldn't it be better to do another 3D exploration platformer first and then return later on with a third sidescrolling game? There's so few quality 3D platformers around, we really could use another.

And in the meantime we can enjoy and celebrate the new Yooka-Laylee :)

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
What if they give Donkey Kong to the Ubisoft Studio that made the modern Rayman games? Those were pretty good installments which in fact were quite reminiscent of DKCR in some aspects. In addition, Ubisoft has proved with the DK DLC for Mario Rabbids that they have a good understanding of the universe and a lot of ambition towards it. They are also occidental and have good relations with Rare staff like Kirkhope, so Dave Wise should be a shoe in then.

I'd rather see them try an approach to Donkey Kong Country than giving it to another Nintendo studio that is not Retro, to be honest. I like Goodfeel games but I'm not sure they would understand modern DKC pacing and gameplay.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
First give us the definitive Returns HD with the 3DS difficulty balance adjustments and the 60 fps. Then the 3rd game with return of K. Rool.

PS: K. Rool should be playable.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure but first they need to complete Prime 4 and that other game that they have been working on for the past five years and hopefully haven't cancelled.

Untill then Nintendo should port DKCR HD on Switch.

The Best DKC Game.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's wild to me that we got people out here openly admitting to liking K. Rool and the Kremlings. Society truly has come a long way for even the weakest in our society to feel safe.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
They can just hire the dude who made Undertale. Look at what Sega did with Sonic Mania. Take a chance with an indie dev known for retro inspired greatness and end up with the best in the series.

I don't know who could tackle Wave Race or 1080, but Team Cherry could make a great Wario Land game.
The Mother series is a very authorial series basically it's a Dragon Quest clone wrapped around Shigesato Itoi writings and humor.
You can't simply substitute Itoi and make it a sequel (well you can if Nintendo lacked integrity and somehow needed a new Mother game at all cost but this isn't the case).
A spiritual successor would be the proper way.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Only if the game is truly amazing (justify its existence of course)

and/or

they bring back the Kremlings (along with similar voices from the original games).

Ps. David Wise is a must.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

This is shaping up to be a good (maybe even very good) game, but please don't imply that the enemy design in here has anything on the Kremlins and King K. Rool. That's one of the weak point in YL so far.

At this point, I'd love for this to happen though. A DKC Returns 3 with the Return of the Kremlins would be an insane thing to happen!
If the impossible lair turns out great, let these devs try it even - the get the concept, have a great turnaround time and have history with the franchise.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
If 3D Mario is going back to free-roaming for the foreseeable future then DKC needs to pick up the linear 3D mantle.

I want Donkey Kong 3D Country, not DK642.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
They can just hire the dude who made Undertale. Look at what Sega did with Sonic Mania. Take a chance with an indie dev known for retro inspired greatness and end up with the best in the series.

I don't know who could tackle Wave Race or 1080, but Team Cherry could make a great Wario Land game.

Why would these particular indie Devs even consider that though? Undertale is a bigger success than any of the mother games were, probably bigger than them all combined. Toby fox is rightfully spending time in making a sequel to that, and not some small time franchise Nintendo abandoned.

Apr 9, 2019
I love the original trilogy and think that DKC2 is the best 2D platformer ever. Although I wasn't a big fan at first of the more cartoonish approach to the Return series, DKCR was a wonderful game and it really surprised me.

However, while I enjoyed Tropical Freeze, that is just.. something missing there. Technically, it is a great game, and even an improvement over DKRC. But other than that it felt more bland to me than the previous entry. I think DKCR managed to capture a bit the sense of adventure from the original trilogy, with a cohesive journey against the Tikis while you climbed the volcano using every means at your disposal. I really can't say the same for TF, and I found the Snowmads to be a major downgrade when compared to the Tikis and the Kremlings.

Certainly DKCR3 would sell very well on the Switch. I just hope Retro (?) is able to recapture some of the spirit of DKC 1-3, which was somewhat the case of DKCR.
I feel the same way. DKCR felt very deliberately and cohesively designed. Tropical Freeze to me feels a little bloated and unfocused in comparison.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really wished more people would ask for 3D DK! It's time to move on to 3D DK. I really want Retro to make a great 3D DK game because we don't have one. Rare tried and it was a good attempt, but not good enough. Also, TF was basically the best you could get. Yeah, there's some small things they could make better, but I'd prefer them challenge themselves to a 3D DK.

1526751159653-screenshot_20180519-132930_samsung-internet.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
It doesn't need it but yeah, I always kind of hoped Retro would get to make a third game, especially after TF was so good. If they nail it with Metroid Prime 4 however no third Retro DKC will be an acceptable sacrifice

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm still blown away by the initial reaction for the TF reveal. A consistent dev releasing a sequel to one of the greatest games of it's gen and people were mad? Baffling.

But yeah a sequel to TF would make me get a switch

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
This is the only reasonable request that Nintendo should obey to apart from making the next Pikmin.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, we need a new DK game. The first two games were absolutely 2D perfections. I am so hoping Retro is doing a new one. I would even put DK as a priority instead of MP4.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's wild to me that we got people out here openly admitting to liking K. Rool and the Kremlings. Society truly has come a long way for even the weakest in our society to feel safe.

People have always liked the Kremlings, a few contrarians on internet message boards don't change that. The weak ones are the people still thinking they'll go away after K. Rool got into Smash.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
I feel the same way. DKCR felt very deliberately and cohesively designed. Tropical Freeze to me feels a little bloated and unfocused in comparison.
I really don't get this. If anything, Tropical Freeze was the definition of thematic focus and cohesion. Each level and island tell a story, and it's really well done cause it ties to the platforming and level design.

Nocturnowl described it better/more detailed:
Straight up, I don't think Earthbound is ever getting handed off to anyone, it's Itoi's franchise and he's wrapped it up

Ehhhh, I'm not so sure about that.
The overarching theme is that DK has been flung far away from his island by invaders and he's gotta get back to boot them out, on the way he has to travel through the Snowmad's previously conquered islands and take out their higher ups.
This isn't really anything more or less than the previous setups, except without all taking place on one central location.
And even then I'd argue they more than make up for adding mini world progression arcs to most worlds on the way
- Autumn Heights runs a simple day to night progression across its stages as you ascend a mountain.
- Bright Savannah does something similar with more steps, you start at dawn with the grassland groove stage, midday for Baobab Bonanza, a dust storm rolls in following this for Frantic Fields which then leads to a bushfire stage afterwards in Scorch n' Torch. The Twilight stage branches off to three other stages that all take place the following day.
- Juicy Jungle is the obvious one with how well it brings the progression into the actual level design, overarching factory theme starting with the harvesting of fruits, the transfer of fruit and juice to the factory itself where it's pulped, then stages where the fruit is made into jelly and frozen popsicles that culminates with the boss polar bear getting his frozen treat
- And DK Island in itself is a mirror to the world progression of DKCR's DK island with each stage representing a world going in the same order up the island to the volcano peak, every stage is full of callbacks to DKCR, Homecoming Hijinx even runs parallel to Jungle Hijinx in the background.

Honestly I think this blows past most of the genre in tying platforming stages together, not that I'm expecting you to change your mind but darn it, I'm getting this out there!

DKCR has a fun quirk as well where the beginning of a new world has a small bridging aspect from the previous, mostly very brief and not too obvious like exciting the back of the factory at the start of the volcano, one really obvious one coming out the caves and blasting up a hollow tree trunk to the tree tops of world 5.

I would also recommend watching Jonneh's video of NSMBU vs TF. It's really well done and explains thoroughly why TF is so good and cohesive.

Jan 15, 2019
It should come back with...

•K Rool and the Kremlings as villains
•in 3D this time
•Made by the team that made Super Mario Odyssey

please.

Boss-

Apr 20, 2018
MP4 2020

then...

Banjo Kazooie Treeie (by Retro) 2021

then ...