• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The first one was a masterpiece imo, good balance of difficulty and adequate length.

Tropical Freeze had a clever design of levels with a careful and progressive introduction of mechanics. But for me, it was a really short game.

Retro, after finishing Metroid Prime 4, has to show the world they can create the best 2D Donkey Kong platformer. Take the design principles of the second game and expand it on more worlds and levels maybe with various atmospheres never seen in the saga.

What do you bois and gurls think? Will DKCR3 sell well?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I like a good trilogy, so I'm all for it.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Tropical Freeze was such a big improvement on Country Returns, we really need more of those expertly crafted levels.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
More Animal Buddies and Kiddy Kong as a villain with K Rool being the ultimate bad guy. That's all it's gotta be.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Man I'll take any Donkey Kong game. I hope we aren't waiting another decade for one.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I definitely want to see it, Retro or not. I'm not even sure if I really want Retro to do it since their quality of work is apparently pretty shaky at best these days.

I'd love to see Nintendo EPD take the reigns to finish the trilogy.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I honestly doubt they brought K. Rool to Smash just for the memes, the fat motherfucker got a Pit like revival because Donkey Kong Country Return of the Kremlings is totally a thing. I refuse to believe otherwise

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
There's a part of me that still has hope that whatever Retro's pre-MP4 project was didn't get shitcanned

Maybe it's coming early 2020 guys!!!1 Nintendo really likes releasing 2D platfomrers in Q1!!

:(

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
It'll probably be a while before we see another DK game now that Retro's doing MP4, but at least the new Yooka-Laylee will be filling in the DKC-shaped hole soon.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I hope someone other than Retro does it. They've stripped away the soul of the series. They lost me when they had the witty and sharp tongued Cranky Kong leave a note saying "love Cranky". Seriously wtf?
Not to mention the weird physics when rolling off edges, filling the game with too many collectibles (I loved collecting DK coins and bonus coins in the Rare trilogy. In this I couldn't be bothered with the puzzle pieces) , a difficulty level that makes the game not fun at times, superfluous partners (I never found any reason to use anyone apart from Dixie), lack of atmosphere in the world design (with a few exceptions) and worst of all stripping away all the charm and charisma from the characters (this is pretty evident when a lot of the replies here are asking for K. Rool).
Honestly the way this series is looked upon as one of the best platformers ever on this site when the Rare trilogy is better in every way is truly baffling to me.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be a long wait. If we assumed prime 4 is like 2022 maybe, dkcr3 wouldnt be at least until 2025 most likely.

Oct 25, 2017
Co-signed. Returns is my least favorite of the entire series (unless we're counting DK 64), but Tropical Freeze is an absolute masterpiece. And even the DKC haters would probably take Retro's third entry over whatever seemingly cancelled game they blew the past five years on.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love a third game, but I actually believe TF wrapped up Retro's take on the series quite nicely.

I'm actually more interested in a Switch remaster of Returns at this point.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I hope someone other than Retro does it. They've stripped away the soul of the series. They lost me when they had the witty and sharp tongued Cranky Kong leave a note saying "love Cranky". Seriously wtf?
Not to mention the weird physics when rolling off edges, filling the game with too many collectibles (I loved collecting DK coins and bonus coins in the Rare trilogy. In this I couldn't be bothered with the puzzle pieces) , a difficulty level that makes the game not fun at times, superfluous partners (I never found any reason to use anyone apart from Dixie), lack of atmosphere in the world design (with a few exceptions) and worst of all stripping away all the charm and charisma from the characters (this is pretty evident when a lot of the replies here are asking for K. Rool).
Honestly the way this series is looked upon as one of the best platformers ever on this site when the Rare trilogy is better in every way is truly baffling to me.

The diffuculty is what makes this games better than most of the other nintendo platformers tbh, I finished both and they were NEVER frustrating.
And I agree about dixie, the thing is dixie is the one that makes the game easier, so I LOVE having the option to use the other 2 characters, I always did my best to avoid using dixie and I only used her when you needed to get a puzzle.

And I also agree about hte colletibles, I collected all of the puzzles, but having they should remove the coins and other things since they break the flow of the game.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Tropical Freeze had a clever design of levels with a careful and progressive introduction of mechanics. But for me, it was a really short game.

Is it really shorter? Doesn't feel like it. The game has much longer levels. Anyway Returns was good but Tropical Freeze is one of the very best platformers ever.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
I love the original trilogy and think that DKC2 is the best 2D platformer ever. Although I wasn't a big fan at first of the more cartoonish approach to the Return series, DKCR was a wonderful game and it really surprised me.

However, while I enjoyed Tropical Freeze, that is just.. something missing there. Technically, it is a great game, and even an improvement over DKRC. But other than that it felt more bland to me than the previous entry. I think DKCR managed to capture a bit the sense of adventure from the original trilogy, with a cohesive journey against the Tikis while you climbed the volcano using every means at your disposal. I really can't say the same for TF, and I found the Snowmads to be a major downgrade when compared to the Tikis and the Kremlings.

Certainly DKCR3 would sell very well on the Switch. I just hope Retro (?) is able to recapture some of the spirit of DKC 1-3, which was somewhat the case of DKCR.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
The diffuculty is what makes this games better than most of the other nintendo platformers tbh, I finished both and they were NEVER frustrating.
And I agree about dixie, the thing is dixie is the one that makes the game easier, so I LOVE having the option to use the other 2 characters, I always did my best to avoid using dixie and I only used her when you needed to get a puzzle.

And I also agree about hte colletibles, I collected all of the puzzles, but having they should remove the coins and other things since they break the flow of the game.

I've finished Sekiro recently and I loved it so I'm not averse to difficult games. The issue is when they're difficult and no longer fun because of it and I believe the Retro DKC games are guilty of that. I like to do a roll just before every jump in these games to extend the length of it and I lost count of how many times I ended up rolling off the edge due to the crappy physics. The Rare controls were so much more tight and the weird physics in the retro games really made the more ambitious level design more of a hindrance than an asset for me.
Again, I'm baffled that having you're seeing having useless partners as a positive. I much preferred it in the Rare games where you could switch between characters and each character was useful in different contexts.
I really loved how the collectibles in the Rare trilogy tied into the Lore and gave you a sense of progression so that you could eventually unlock the "true ending". It felt like you were actually working towards something and being rewarded for it with meaningful content. The collectibles in the retro trilogy are just padding and because of the shonky physics they're not even fun to collect and there are way too many of them.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
3D? Yes. We need more 3D platformers and the genre is still classified as "critically endangered". Plus I want to see how DK64 gameplay could transfer to HD age.

2D? NO. Nonononono. No. There are just too much ongoing 2D platforming series, both first party and indie alike and I'm forced to hate-play all of them despite the fact I despise them (being a handheld only gamer). Mario, Kirby and Yoshi are more than enough, at least let DK usher into extra dimensional universe.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
We need the game that finally explains who has been building all of those mines.

Xtortion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've finished Sekiro recently and I loved it so I'm not averse to difficult games. The issue is when they're difficult and no longer fun because of it and I believe the Retro DKC games are guilty of that. I like to do a roll just before every jump in these games to extend the length of it and I lost count of how many times I ended up rolling off the edge due to the crappy physics.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but you can 100% cancel a roll into a jump in mid air just like in the Rare games.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it sure does. tropical freeze is a stone cold masterpiece. i hope we see a third game one day, maybe on switch 2?

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying, Diddy's Kong Quest Returns: DKC Returns 3

Diddy as the playable character, faster movement, different feeling platforming and level design. more animal buddies or really just Squitter, cool world themes, boom, proper sequel. make better bonus levels for the collectibles too. goat.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yep especially with k Rool back, he needs to be the main villain, and playable maybe Paper Mario bowser style? An unlockable side story throughout the main story where on each area of the game you play as him gaining control over the area and explaining his return to power

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but you can 100% cancel a roll into a jump in mid air just like in the Rare games.

The Retro games have this weird idiosyncrasy where if you're a fraction of a second late Donkey Kong speeds up in his roll and you lose the opportunity to extend the jump and he'll roll off the edge. It's very frustrating.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
When's the last time you played the original games? DKC1&2 are incredibly difficult and filled to the brim with what a lot of people would call "cheap deaths".