• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Now known simply as 'The Chicks'

The platinum-selling country trio, which in 2003 became pariahs in Nashville for criticizing President George W. Bush on the eve of the American-led invasion of Iraq, has changed its name, apparently in tacit acknowledgment of criticism over its use of the word "Dixie," a nostalgic nickname for the Civil War-era South.
It is perhaps the highest-profile example of a musical act rechristening itself over questions of historical and social resonance. This month, the country group Lady Antebellum — which has won five Grammy Awards — announced it would become Lady A, saying, "Our hearts have been stirred with conviction, our eyes opened wide to the injustices, inequality and biases black women and men have always faced and continue to face everyday."
www.nytimes.com

The Dixie Chicks Change Their Name, Dropping the ‘Dixie’ (Published 2020)

The platinum-selling country trio will be known as the Chicks, the latest example of sweeping cultural changes brought on by nationwide protests spotlighting racial inequality.

They have also released a new song 'March March' that features a number of famous protests over the years.

Being honest, it'll be hard for me to think of them as anything other than the Dixie Chicks in my head, but it's a good gesture from them and they've always shown themselves to be far more left leaning than you're average country band. It can't be an easy decision to drop the name and brand they've been using for over 30 years.

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't like the sound of it when the Dixie Dregs became the Dregs and I don't like it now. Why not a different name?

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lady Antebellum have also changed their name....to Lady A....which stands for Antebellum

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Ok, fair enough, but the new name is just plain bad. It's not as bad as The Killers, but it's bad.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Just makes me think of
1be8cc943a3c83d9d7a534b14f75d0f7.png

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
That's just an awful name.

Woke country is pretty entertaining. Toby Keith is probably far more problematic (Beer For My Horses is just wild given everything) from some of his songs, but doubt he's at risk of being cancelled. Not sure if these preemptive moves are really changing anything.

Oct 28, 2017
Surely there's something better?

The D Chicks? No...

Dix Chicks? Ain't no label gonna carry a band with that name.

The DC? Maybe too reductive.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Woke country is pretty entertaining. Toby Keith is probably far more problematic (Beer For My Horses is just wild given everything) from some of his songs, but doubt he's at risk of being cancelled. Not sure if these preemptive moves are really changing anything.
fucking cannot stand Toby Keith. He's all my dad would listen to for the entire Bush presidency. Him and that "I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free" song.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Its a bit awkward but it's not like the name matters all the much. The new song is great, love it.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
What's wrong with Killers?
I think a certain responsibility comes with a name like that. The Killers should either be a band so fucking hardcore that you're convinced its members are actual fucking murderers, or alternatively a band whose name is so obviously ironic that it almost comes full circle and you start wondering if there's not a possibility that those hipster nerds have killed someone after all. But instead, it's just the name of slickly produced mainstream rock band, and it's just so incredibly dull.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Ever since the Bush incident, and how they handled it, I've always had the utmost respect for them. This is a fine change, and the new song and video are awesome.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a certain responsibility comes with a name like that. The Killers should either be a band so fucking hardcore that you're convinced its members are actual fucking murderers, or alternatively a band whose name is so obviously ironic that it almost comes full circle and you start wondering if there's not a possibility that those hipster nerds have killed someone after all. But instead, it's just the name of slickly produced mainstream rock band, and it's just so incredibly dull.

It's New Order's fault for coming up with it, technically.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
The Chicks either sounds like a sleazy Sunset Strip hair band(think along the lines of Lita Ford or even Cycle Sluts From Hell) or a hardcore punk/riot grrl group. Either way the name carries the implication of "edge" that this group doesn't have.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
I think they should drop "The".
Just be "Chicks" from now on. Sounds less edgy.

Or go the opposite direction and brand themselves "The Yankee Chicks".

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Shrug. I don't have a problem with the old name given the origin.

Never forget
Natalie-T-Shirt.jpg

fucking cannot stand Toby Keith. He's all my dad would listen to for the entire Bush presidency. Him and that "I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free" song.
I had to play that fucking song for band class in elementary school. Hated it then, hate it now

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Toby Keith is a weird dude and I like a lot of his music, but songs like "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" are horrid and have aged so terribly. It still gets radio airplay and it baffles me every time I hear it.

thankfully haven't heard that shitty Alan Jackson "Where Were You When the Towers Fell" song in quite a long time.

Oct 27, 2017
Toby Keith is a weird dude and I like a lot of his music, but songs like "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" are horrid and have aged so terribly. It still gets radio airplay and it baffles me every time I hear it.

thankfully haven't heard that shitty Alan Jackson "Where Were You When the Towers Fell" song in quite a long time.

Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue is actually a tremendous propaganda song. The message of the song is horrifying and even moreso after 20 years of context, but when I hear it it still gets me hyped up subconsciously.

Deleted member 1086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue is actually a tremendous propaganda song. The message of the song is horrifying and even moreso after 20 years of context, but when I hear it it still gets me hyped up subconsciously.
It makes me roll my eyes something hard. If I want to have some ultra patriotic song to pump me up I'll just put on Kid Rock's "American Badass".

I think it's because the song goes on about how we are gonna rain hell down on those assholes and get them back and... it took nearly ten years to even get Bin Laden. It's just so stupid in retrospect.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

He actually played Beer For My Horses in Trump's Inaguration...that was...something, holy shit.

Deleted member 11421

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On paper, perhaps. Doesn't make the band any less ill-fitted to have the name.

I'm not gonna drag it out further since this thread really was about something more important, but the "story" of the first album was also an intricate tale about a murder.

What they are now doesn't fit the name, I'll agree, but a fledgling indie band pulling from Joy Division/New Order? Different story back then.