• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Below Xenoverse 2 and F76 holy moly

This must be a huge drop off from the first game. It's well made, mechanically speaking, but it's just so god damn dull and devoid of personality.

Ubi has to take a page from Warframe's book. Cut out the mandatory dull open world, get players to the "fun" faster.
Exactly this. One of the games i regret buying

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
The main game can be fun solo. Especially if you take it very seriously. Instead on mindlessly running around gunning any enemy in sight as I enjoy doing. The game has matchmaking for most activities. If you want to play with others.
I don't take video games seriously. My job is serious. I come home to relax. I don't mean to sound mean or anything. I love games and you sound like a swell guy, as do most of the users here.

But I'm texting or on twitter or era like 50% of the time I'm on Xbox or PS4

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Realistically these charts don't give us an actual number of users anyway. Just because it's that low doesn't mean thousands of players are not playing it daily either.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I never bought it. Seems like a game where you'd need friends to play with for it to be fun. I never had any friends who were interested. Just decided to keep playing The Golf Club and Apex Legends and MK11.
Nah it's an okay game to do solo. Matchmaking is straight forward and you can always get a couple of people to run the missions, gun down everyone and leave the group.

Don't need to do that almost mandatory LFG bullshit like Destiny 2, which I do play completely solo.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I enjoyed the original game but for whatever reason, the beta for Division 2 didn't grab me at all.

I think the new setting was a large part of that. It seemed so bland and boring compared to the original.

MrDaravon

Oct 25, 2017
The core gameplay loop is *fantastic* IMO, the problem is endgame loot is an enormous deadend currently, there's a million layers of RNG you have to fight through to get an item that's the brand, slots, talents, and rolls that you want which is near impossible even with the (limited) calibration currently in place. I've got about 250 hours in the game and I've gotten maybe 3-4 minor upgrades in the last.....100 hours? Literally nothing in my loadout is ideal and I'm basically completely ignoring skills as that requires an even further layer of RNG in needing to slot skill stats/mods. It's completely insane. I forget my exact stat but last time I looked I've looted something like 15k items, and 99.9999% of them were trash. For example, one of the most important stats is damage to elites which only rolls on masks; it can roll up to 50%, in my entire time playing I've never seen higher than 36%, and maybe only 6-8 total above 30%.

The game is a blast to actually play and I still hop on here and there and put on some music and just chill and go around doing stuff and killing people and it feels great; but the endgame loot situation is so bad that if you want to really raid or build any sort of endgame setup it's impossible unless you're incredibly lucky or you're just hardcore nonstop grinding. At the same time it's a weird problem because outside of the Raid and maybe some Heroic difficulties (which don't seem worth the additional hassle) you can destroy anything in the game, so you also kind of don't need anything approaching optimal to clear content other than the Raid?

So yeah, I really like the game, but there's really not much to do at the endgame currently unless you want to fight one of the worst layers of RNGesus I've ever seen for small gains and/or to do the Raid. It's probably going to be near the top of my favorite game and also most disappointing game of the year lol. I'm not remotely surprised that it's fallen off hard, and looking at reddit and other places people are definitely not thrilled with the current endgame situation. I have no idea how this was playtested (?) and this wasn't identified as sort of an immediate glaring issue. I don't know that they turn things around in time for any kind of big resurgence. On PS4 I have no problems getting matchmaking for the daily missions and weekly invasion stuff, but everything else is very hit or miss or takes a while.

Edit: This is a good post today on Reddit from someone who's got 630 hours in the game that puts it fairly well:

Last edited:

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's a combination of:

1. Mundane loot (like in these types of games the loot you get needs to be priority 1, this is the MAIN thing that drives people to play these games. If you have boring and tiresome loot people will not stick around for it).
2. Boring world - The actual design of the world is fine in terms of layout/mechanics, but it is just not a very pleasing or unique environment to explore. The world of the first game was, from a visual standpoint, more unique and things with it's wintery landscape and design. The world in The Division 2 just feels fairly mundane and a lot of similar looking areas. They need more variety, heck I'd love to have seen weather/season changes which would have helped this out a lot.
3. Repetitive mission design. A ton of the missions boil down to, "go to x place, wait for enemies to attack, fight off wave after wave, hit new checkpoint, rinse and repeat" to the end.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am shocked Roblox isn't higher on that list considering it's all my little brothers and their friends do

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Was my favorite game that I played this year but I stopped playing when the Raid came out. I just do not play games that are structured like that. It is actually a testament to the game itself I played it as long as I did. It helped I had a good friend who it is all he played so I would always team up with him, but the whole keep playing just for better gear and nothing else really is a turn off. But I EASILY got my money's worth out of the game. I basically paid about a dollar an hour to play. That is a fucking bargain to me. And the first 40 hours or so were really enjoyable. Then it started to feel like nothing but a grind.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i wonder what the PC playerbase is vs aggregate console. not trying to go platform warrior here but i'd personally loathe to play this on console, though i guess ps4 naturally has the majority on lock

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I don't think they should have reeled in the graphics/physics tech. They should have instead blown us away by topping the fidelity of the first one.

I don't know if that would have kept people around but it would have at least sold more so you'd probably get more people sticking around overall.

The game honestly just looks like a downgrade.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
I will never understand the dislike for D.C as a setting. Far as I'm concerned, its far more compelling than NYC.

I'm convinced some people like NYC better only for the bloody snow. I wonder how they'll feel that despite we return to NYC in Episode 3 DLC, its gonna be during summertime

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
My brother and I picked it up as our weekly multiplayer game, but after hitting 20ish hours of playtime over a few weeks and still only being like 2/3 of the way through the campaign, we kind of got bored and dropped it. I know that's kind of how the MMO experience goes, and while the game felt "fine", it just wasn't keeping my interest/attention. Well-made technically, but kind of dull is how I would describe it, I guess?

OP
OP
Maneil99

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
it was kind of the same last generation. games like call of duty did a lot worse on ps3 than on 360
But this game is losing compared to other MP games. And CoD was still Ps3s biggest MP game despite not selling the same as 360.

Not to mention games that do show player counts have Cbox one hitting above its weight in MP games (Destiny 2 Trials of Osiris playercoubt, Battlefield player trackers) all had Xbox closer to PS4 then world wide sales totals would indicate.

Oct 25, 2017
Boring setting, boring weapons, boring skills, boring cover based shooting mechanics. Compare the stale shit in The Division 2 with Destiny or Borderlands. Which games look more fun?

jamesandy

Jul 17, 2019
Ultimately loot shooters will go out of fashion. I cant keep up with the majority upgrading their gear. Personally Iam waiting for the survival mode to come . Loved that in the first game.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I sold the game a month after launch despite buying a Y1 pass. I just got bored, frankly.
Below Xenoverse 2 and F76 holy moly

This must be a huge drop off from the first game. It's well made, mechanically speaking, but it's just so god damn dull and devoid of personality.

Ubi has to take a page from Warframe's book. Cut out the mandatory dull open world, get players to the "fun" faster.
F76 has made an insane comeback. It's pretty shocking, actually.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Enjoyed the hell out of my time with the game up until hitting the real endgame. Between the team demonstrating with their attitude that they didn't care about the differences between PC and console and how that negatively impacted the raid experience for console players, and that I was spending half my time playing doing inventory/build management, I dropped off the game and am unlikely to return as a consistent player. They really need to streamline their loot/gear so I don't have to micromanage stats and inventory constantly.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I'm interested to see how much of an impact the far smaller platform size the Xbox One enjoys has on third-party online games. Perhaps that will push the conversation on cross-play to the limelight? Maybe that's why Phil Spencer vouched so strongly for the measure in the first place?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
those are good points

but there are lots of indications the division 2 is doing well overall, including sales numbers. how come it seems to be doing poorly on xbox specifically?

Because it's an Xbox specific list. We don't have these 'most hours played this week' lists for PlayStation or PC.

The game can have sold really well (and it has, apparently) and still not be played as much as other games. This list is a list of hours played, not sales. I would presume it'd be a similar list on other platforms if they had them.

We can compare Top Selling charts (because other platforms has those) and The Division 2 isn't in the Top 35 selling games currently on the PlayStation store. It caps out at 35. It's number 85 on the Xbox Store. So it seems like the sales have dropped off massively. It's no surprise that the number of hours played this week have too, as evidenced by the list in OP.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maneil99

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
those are good points

but there are lots of indications the division 2 is doing well overall, including sales numbers. how come it seems to be doing poorly on xbox specifically?
There are no indications it's doing well population wise. This is likely the same on PS4. Ubisoft boasted sales numbers but wouldn't mention anything regarding active users. Something all publishers love these days

OP
OP
Maneil99

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm interested to see how much of an impact the far smaller platform size the Xbox One enjoys has on third-party online games. Perhaps that will push the conversation on cross-play to the limelight? Maybe that's why Phil Spencer vouched so strongly for the measure in the first place?

Even BF1 which is almost last on the list for too 50 has 6-8k players. Higher daily then PS4 on BF1stats.com

Xbox does well for MP multiplats. It's obviously typically less the. pS4 but much closer then the sales split would have you expect. Destiny 2 had 30-45% more players back when we had playercounts despite over double the install base

JustInsane

Oct 27, 2017
Me and my friend group hard dropped it once we did the end game stuff - this was before the raid. We decided we'd go back to it in 1-2 years when there's a lot more to do, like we did with Div1.

Oct 30, 2017
Massive have tried to make fixes but build variety just isn't there and it doesn't help that the raid was poorly received on both XB1 and PS4. I've put 120+ hours into it and have maxed out my enjoyment for the game.

If they fix the loot system maybe I'll come back. It's just repetitive at this point.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I liked it better than D1 which I LOVED but there are so many other games out that hold my interest far more or require my immediate attention.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. The first one also had player retention troubles, but everyone wrote the reason off as being the lack of endgame content. I guess this disapproves that idea.

Also you can have a best selling game and still suffer from player retention problems. Look at Black ops 4 and Apex on that list. Massively successful games that are both being topped by R6 Siege. Xbox players love their siege for some reason.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Battlefield 1 has/had concurrent users at about 6700 today on Xbox. It is also not on the top 50 chart posted by the OP.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It sounds dumb to say but none of the cosmetics made me feel cool. I don't know why but it was my issue with D1. I look like a soccer dad or a Socom reject at best
Yeah, this has been a major issue for me since the first game, and they still couldn't come up with something to remedy it. They can show off some rare outfit in the store menu, but I couldn't care less about getting any of them. Especially since they'll be hidden under the bulky armor parts that you can't hide anyway.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It's a combination of:

1. Mundane loot (like in these types of games the loot you get needs to be priority 1, this is the MAIN thing that drives people to play these games. If you have boring and tiresome loot people will not stick around for it).
2. Boring world - The actual design of the world is fine in terms of layout/mechanics, but it is just not a very pleasing or unique environment to explore. The world of the first game was, from a visual standpoint, more unique and things with it's wintery landscape and design. The world in The Division 2 just feels fairly mundane and a lot of similar looking areas. They need more variety, heck I'd love to have seen weather/season changes which would have helped this out a lot.
3. Repetitive mission design. A ton of the missions boil down to, "go to x place, wait for enemies to attack, fight off wave after wave, hit new checkpoint, rinse and repeat" to the end.

If this combo was core reason then Destiny 2 also would have gone down the shitter long time ago.

I think BFV being lower than F76 is the real story here, jesus that's bad

Real story? Not really if you have played V over past few months. Nothing story and surprising about game having really bad retention and active playerbase issue.

OP
OP
Maneil99

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If this combo was core reason then Destiny 2 also would have gone down the shitter long time ago.

Real story? Not really if you have played V over past few months. Nothing story and surprising about game having really bad retention and active playerbase issue.
Eh Destiny exotics and armour is visually appealing, as are the locations. I really liked DC though so that wasn't an issue, More so the cosmetics and guns