• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

An early look at The Division 2's private beta, as shown at a recent Paris event. Developer Massive puts its Snowdrop engine to use on a major sequel, with improvements to AI, grass rendering and much more. Tom covers the bases on what to expect once this beta rolls out later this week on Xbox One X and PC.

For the source file to this analysis check out our Patreon at: https://www.digitalfoundry.net/2019-0...

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

Key Points:

- Private beta footage from XBX and PC
- Snowdrop Engine returns
- Snow dynamic, volumetric lights, global destruction are key highlights
- On XBX pop-in is minimal on long stretches
- Vegetation is upgraded over the first game
- Water reflections use lower res cube maps rather than SSR
- Different weather states present
- Every faction has a different AI logic
- PC: Terrain quality is higher than XBX
- Parallax Occlusion Mapping included on both
- Draw distance and effects very close and match console on high
- Bokeh DoF is more aggressive on X
- PC has higher grade AA
- XBX renders natively at 4K before downsampling for the 1080p footage
- XBX shows stair stepping on some edges because of lower grade AA compared to PC
- A little confusing here, Tom says that super sampling makes pixel counting trickier after the earlier point about native 4K
- They didn't comment much on X performance because it's obviously WIP, some frame drops and bugs were encountered
- PC beta had various settings available to test.

Last edited:

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad there's a change of season in this game. Snow was cool but it would look way too samey if it was snowy winter all over again.

I think the game looks great and I can't wait to sink my teeth into the beta!

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised there's no mention of tearing. Recent IGN footage showed that. Good to see that's not a problem after all then.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Ready to check this out. Just got my code and got the preload going.

The first game was a ton of fun and the game is looking really good on the X.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
This build runs a bit rougher on base hardware.
And if you're playing pc and your mike doesn't work correctly, select the settings that do not have the "default" tag and it should work fine.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Snowdrop is such a magical engine. The game(s) runs at 4K on consoles while:

- it's open world
- it's multiplayer
- has various graphical effects
- has patrolling NPCs
- has various factions with different AI logic

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I signed up for a beta back in June and just received a code to the beta. I completely forgot about it. I'm glad they are pushing this enginge forward.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Damn I'm heavily leaning on getting this over Anthem for some reason. Only really have time for one of the on top of Game Pass.

Looks to have improved on everything the original did by magnitudes.

CozMick

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No comment on performance because its a WIP yet they destroy Anthem in another analysis?

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
What i saw from the beta builds on youtube, the game drops and tears frames all over the place on xbox one x...

nevercomehome

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone in US get their Amazon pre order beta codes yet? I'm thinking I might cancel and get pre order through best buy.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Wow already analysed? DF are the best. I bet they gonna analyse the DMC5 demo so quickly tomorrow too.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Really wish this was cross-play between X and PC, would love to get this for the X1X. But most of my friends are either PS4/PC...*sigh*

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
I love how Ubisoft always takes advantage of the X. I might get the game but still don't know since I'm planning to play Anthem

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Division 2 has been quiet up until this past month, then Ubi has been bombarding us with information, and each new video makes the game look better and better. I'm now at peak hype for it, they really seem to be saying everything right.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Game really doesn't look any better then the first technically. And I think artistically looks worse

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Sucks all my friends are on PS4. I know the Pro won't look nearly as good :(

We need damn universal cross play so I don't have to buy shittier versions of games.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I really hope they fix the frame rate for launch. The videos of the beta so far give me a headache.