• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the new patch/Warlords of New York expansion made the Platinum unobtainable and prevents Dark Zone: Safe House from being unlocked. Great job there Ubisoft/Massive. Hopefully they'll patch the list after realizing the blunder.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Did Challenging Roosevelt last night with armor,map and special ammo directive on in a group of 3.
Me as healer/support, Kadzork as tank with his shield and our third friend as DPS/firespreader.

Worked out like a damn charm. I healed like 180million hp lol, Kadzork tanked I don't even know how many. Our friend did twice as much damage as Kadzork and I combined. All worked out, my heals basically made us invulnerable, Kadzork took all the attention.
Was super fun.
Also booster hive gives like 10% or 15% bonus damage to everyone now, which is great too.

Last edited:

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Aside from the nonsensical group scaling, the expansion ticks every box for me. Excited for the season to start tomorrow.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I just have to buy expansion, my progress is being frozen and held as a hostage by Ubisoft.

I am not buying the expansion for NY missions, I just have to make the choice either I want to continue being part of the community, or the "visitor" who cannot progress further. I hate supporting this business practice, but I don't see a way out of this...

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think I just have to buy expansion, my progress is being frozen and held as a hostage by Ubisoft.

I am not buying the expansion for NY missions, I just have to make the choice either I want to continue being part of the community, or the "visitor" who cannot progress further. I hate supporting this business practice, but I don't see a way out of this...
I don't get it.
The point of the expansion is the new content and the new items.
All the lvl 30 GS 515 content is still there and for you to play. What exactly forces you into the expansion? You even get to play the second raid when it comes out too.

I also don't get why it's such a thing for you to decide to pick up the expansion with more content for a game you seemingly want to play.
One would think new content coming out for a game one enjoys would be a good thing but apparently this is terrible to you?

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Do you feel the same about DLC in single player games?

ALL new content can't be free... the buy in for the base game already got you a lot of content...

There is nothing unfair about charging for a proper expansion like this.

Oct 27, 2017
Do you feel the same about DLC in single player games?

ALL new content can't be free... the buy in for the base game already got you a lot of content...

There is nothing unfair about charging for a proper expansion like this.

Single-player expansion gives you the story and more levels. That is the NY portion of Warlords. No problem with charging money for bonus missions.

It is the loot that is the problem. Specifically level 30 items are redundant whenever you activate Warlords. So if I decided to stall buying Warlords for the month, that entire month's progress/loot will go straight to the salvage... It is a looter-shooter, all about loot/progress as opposed to story.

Only the sweet $3 buy-in kind of smooth things out on the bottom line.

And this line "ALL new content cant be free", this is Division 2's monetization so far:
$60 Game + $50 First Year Pass + $30 Expansion + New Seasons 2/3/4 Premium Passes + Cosmetic microtransactions

I know there are examples of Expansions being kind of mandatory, but i never ran into that (Warframe, PoE, GW2, COH2, any competitive game, any card game). It is a shock to me, and it is a huge obstacle on whether or not my party uninstalls D2 or purchases an expansion.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Single-player expansion gives you the story and more levels. That is the NY portion of Warlords. No problem with charging money for bonus missions.

It is the loot that is the problem. Specifically level 30 items are redundant whenever you activate Warlords. So if I decided to stall buying Warlords for the month, that entire month's progress/loot will go straight to the salvage... It is a looter-shooter, all about loot/progress as opposed to story.

And this line "ALL new content cant be free", this is Division 2's monetization so far:
$60 Game + $50 First Year Pass + $30 Expansion + New Seasons 2/3/4 Premium Passes + Cosmetic microtransactions

I know there are examples of Expansions being kind of mandatory, but i never ran into that (Warframe, PoE, GW2, COH2, any competitive game). It is a shock to me, and it is a huge obstacle on whether or not my party uninstalls D2 or purchases an expansion.
The choice to stall knowing this is entirely on you. The game cannot give you infinite content for your level, it cannot sustain end game for players who refuse to move on.

This is the nature of all MMO type games, you knew this when you started. This isn't unfair, the way Massive have handled it is better than most by far too.

EDIT: the loot situation here is a bit different, too, as everyone's lot was broken by the overhaul with Loot 2.0. If you buy the base game now, you get to lwvel with those changes and have tonnes of content. If you are an older player who wants to keep playing without buying the expac then I do get it could be frustrating... but then you have also had a lot of content for your money already.

They could have allowed players in the latter position to reach level 40 in anticipation of the new expac, perhaps they could have added some kind of infusion system like Destiny that allowed players in that position to not lose progress if they buy in later... their solution wasn't perfect, but I do think it was fair overall.

You can't just list the buy in price in a row like you did and say "look how much it's cost over time!" as this is a live service game that either needs a subscription model like WoW and FF14, or incremental payments to keep the game running.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
This is the nature of all MMO type games, you knew this when you started. This isn't unfair, the way Massive have handled it is better than most by far too.

Is it? Is there another Ubisoft MMO/MMO-lite doing this?

All the previous Ubisoft games led me to believe that this (paid expansions blocking progress) was the thing of the past. The E3 announcement of the Year Pass content being available for all was the step in the right direction (evidenced by Ubisoft's proud proclamation and the applause), but then Warlords swing two steps back into "mandatory" paid expansion territory.

• GW2 (Full MMO) handled their expansions better. The best sword you could get on the base-game was the best sword after all expansions (my knowledge end with Fire).
• Warframe, PoE and many others handle looter-shooters/dungeon crawlers without paywalls

Do you think this is the best business model for the looter-shooter? Do you have fears that community might shrink because a sizable portion wouldn't pay?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
You can unlock the "Extreme Manhunt" achievement/trophy early (it's meant to require a whole season I think) by just replaying the final mission when you set your world to "challenging"

You can even set the mission itself to "Story" - which is pretty easy to do up until the final fight itself then you kind of have to hope it works out in your favor (unless there's some cheat mode strat I don't know about)

Saved me a season at least : )

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is it? Is there another Ubisoft MMO/MMO-lite doing this?

All the previous Ubisoft games led me to believe that this (paid expansions blocking progress) was the thing of the past. The E3 announcement of the Year Pass content being available for all was the step in the right direction (evidenced by Ubisoft's proud proclamation and the applause), but then Warlords swing two steps back into "mandatory" paid expansion territory.

• GW2 (Full MMO) handled their expansions better. The best sword you could get on the base-game was the best sword after all expansions (my knowledge end with Fire).
• Warframe, PoE and many others handle looter-shooters/dungeon crawlers without paywalls

Do you think this is the best business model for the looter-shooter? Do you have fears that community might shrink because a sizable portion wouldn't pay?
Those two games are not the same...

For instance: Warframe floats itself completely on micro transactions. You not only need to grind for materials but you need to spend actual time building them. It has mobile style energy mechanics that you can negate for a fee. The time investment you need to put in if you do not pay can be substantial. It's a completely different style of progression and can't be directly compared.

I think, as I said above, even if you paid the full price each thing: base game, passes, etc.. you have had more than enough content for your money. Could they have allowed players who don't buy the expac to reach 40 so they could buy in later Without a penalty? Sure, they could, but I also don't think it is unfair of them not to.

They just overhauled the loot system entirely. They delivered a very fair amount of new content for £25. If you're a new player, you still get to play the entire base game and content for a very low price before you get to the issue you're experiencing. If you're an older player who has has hit the cap and doesn't want to progress only to lose out if they upgrade later... you can stop playing or upgrade.

These games do not have infinite content anyway, at some point you will run out of things to do. If you want to keep going, the buy in to do so is more than fair... or, you can just ignore that and keep playing all the old content that is still active. If you want to keep up in almost all of these games, you need to pay in some way... be that in money or in a lot of time grinding out with mobile style systems.

The system is not perfect, sure, but ALL of these games have issues in their design somewhere. Every single one. I personally do not think this issue is a particularly unfair one.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Those two games are not the same...

For instance: Warframe floats itself completely on micro transactions. You not only need to grind for materials but you need to spend actual time building them. It has mobile style energy mechanics that you can negate for a fee. The time investment you need to put in if you do not pay can be substantial. It's a completely different style of progression and can't be directly compared.

I think, as I said above, even if you paid the full price each thing: base game, passes, etc.. you have had more than enough content for your money. Could they have allowed players who don't buy the expac to reach 40 so they could buy in later Without a penalty? Sure, they could, but I also don't think it is unfair of them not to.

They just overhauled the loot system entirely. They delivered a very fair amount of new content for £25. If you're a new player, you still get to play the entire base game and content for a very low price before you get to the issue you're experiencing. If you're an older player who has has hit the cap and doesn't want to progress only to lose out if they upgrade later... you and stop playing or upgrade.

These games do not have infinite content anyway, at some point you will run out of things to do. If you want to keep going, the buy in to do so is more than fair... or, you can just ignore that and keep playing all the old content that is still active.

The system is not perfect, sure, but ALL of these games have issues in their design somewhere. Every single one. I personally do not think this issue is a particularly unfair one.

Which games do you come from?

I cannot remember the game which forced the paid-expansions upon me. Ever. Runescape kind of pressured into eternal monetization with $5/month bill, couldn't return to F2P after being a member. Path of Exile is perfect, perfect as it literally free, regular updates and doesn't do any of the more F2P tricks like Warframe.

I think I need some kind of back-up clan because it is likely that I will get Warlords, and unlikely that my party will :(

I think Ubisoft should have not put the level-cap behind Expansion. Everybody can level-up to 40, but only Expansion owners get NY + Bonus loot table + First Event Pass. I would pay money for the added content (I had Division 1 Pass which had no exclusive loot or any of this progression-gating), but the people who cannot or don't want to would still be part of the community.

I hope Division 2 will not have paid level-cap increases in the future.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Which games do you come from?

I cannot remember the game which forced the paid-expansions upon me. Ever. Runescape kind of pressured into eternal monetization with $5/month bill, couldn't return to F2P after being a member. Path of Exile is perfect, perfect as it literally free, regular updates and doesn't do any of the more F2P tricks like Warframe.

I think I need some kind of back-up clan because it is likely that I will get Warlords, and unlikely that my party will :(

I think Ubisoft should have not put the level-cap behind Expansion. Everybody can level-up to 40, but only Expansion owners get NY + Bonus loot table + First Event Pass. I would pay money for the added content (I had Division 1 Pass which had no exclusive loot or any of this progression-gating), but the people who cannot or don't want to would still be part of the community.

I hope Division 2 will not have paid level-cap increases in the future.
Warframe, WoW, Guild Wars 1-2. FF14, Destiny 2... many.

ALL of these games force you to pay to keep up in their own way.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
This claims zombies are coming to the Divison 2, is it fake?

twitter.com

⭕️ Division Academy ⭕️ on Twitter

“Reanimated! Zombies defo coming! @TheDivisionGame @obiadekanobi @OllieNorris @rxlyaT @CommendationMr @jgerighty @yannickbch @ClancyElites @TheDivisionTDT”

No, this is a real screen in the game.

It doesn't say specifically Zombies except the word "Reanimated" so we won't know until the event is live

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017

I know there are examples of Expansions being kind of mandatory, but i never ran into that (Warframe, PoE, GW2, COH2, any competitive game, any card game). It is a shock to me, and it is a huge obstacle on whether or not my party uninstalls D2 or purchases an expansion.

What

I don't get the complaint about the loot related to the expansion? There's two recal benches.

As far as D2 monetization, I'm pretty sure it was stated that the season pass just unlocked content EARLIER than if you didn't have it. The only you missed out on is the classified assignments which are nothing burgers.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Having to pay money to get the new level cap is standard procedure. If you don't want to purchase it you can play at the old level cap and take advantage of the new itemisation for free. Warframe and PoE don't have level caps in the same way Div2 does. They also both "force" you to spend money about as much as TD2 does.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Has anyone else noticed a drop in framerate since the warlords update?
Could be just me but I really feel I had better performance before it....

Edit: playing on PC

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
I'm almost level 40 and want to make a support/heal build. What are the 2 recommended skills to use?

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else noticed a drop in framerate since the warlords update?
Could be just me but I really feel I had better performance before it....

Edit: playing on PC

Actually, TBH I feel my performance increased to where I was able to turn some settings up. "Almost" maxed and still no dips below 60. Better than was previously.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Show us the pics of your Shieldnbuild, my man :D

Ok - here it is at the moment. I could still stand to get a few more god rolls in there but this is pretty solid as is. I just got Liberty so looking forward to using that in a group situation.

anhvPTM.jpg

Z1gGfi4.png

YE5l2at.png

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
AR/Rifle is such an amazing combo. As much as I like Lady Death, it's unusable in high level difficulties because it's an SMG which already requires getting close and its whole shtick is movement. Can't do that without getting melted in Challenging, Heroic, and Legendary.

Ok - here it is at the moment. I could still stand to get a few more god rolls in there but this is pretty solid as is. I just got Liberty so looking forward to using that in a group situation.

anhvPTM.jpg

Z1gGfi4.png

YE5l2at.png

Those are some pretty eh stats on that Liberty. Sucks you can't recal exotics.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Indeed - here's hoping to get another in the future with better stuff or they allow recalibrating exotics with exotic components.

I hope they do because nothing sucks more than farming for an exotic for hours and finally getting it but with bad rolls. The stats on my Lady Death aren't bad but they're not amazing either and I spent all day on Saturday farming it.

dI8Ol98.png

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
So I got the game the other week and just hit 30 and entered World Tier 1. Is there any point in staying in DC, or should I just go to NYC and level to 40 then work on the tiers?

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've played this game for 50+ hours but just did some co-op for my first time over the weekend.

What should I expect to see for level scaling? My two friends are at World Tier 5 (no expansion yet) and I'm at World Tier 1. We were doing Kenley College and when I joined their game, I couldn't do anything and enemies took me out in seconds. When they joined my game it was the opposite for them.

I thought our levels were supposed to mostly balance out in co-op?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I've played this game for 50+ hours but just did some co-op for my first time over the weekend.

What should I expect to see for level scaling? My two friends are at World Tier 5 (no expansion yet) and I'm at World Tier 1. We were doing Kenley College and when I joined their game, I couldn't do anything and enemies took me out in seconds. When they joined my game it was the opposite for them.

I thought our levels were supposed to mostly balance out in co-op?
Normally the lowest player gets scaled up to the highest player. It will say something like "group scaling activated" as well.

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
BTW, here's reference chart of Brand Set bonuses from the subreddit for those who need it:

44thtu1r1ml41.png

Keep in mind that all brands save for 5.11 tactical have all gear slots

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
So I got the game the other week and just hit 30 and entered World Tier 1. Is there any point in staying in DC, or should I just go to NYC and level to 40 then work on the tiers?

Does the game even allow you to go to New York? Once you hit world tiers you have to start working through gear score so you're only like half way to the endgame of the original game.The World Tiers are a lot of fun honestly, or at least I enjoyed them. They're basically rerunning the old mission setpieces but the format of the missions and the enemies are completely different. You'll also get a new stronghold at the end of it and you still have the first year's DLC's to run.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't touched this game since launch and am thinking about getting back in for this expansion. Did Ubisoft add anything like Survival mode from the first game? I can't seem to find anything one way or another.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I was today years old when I found out there was a SHD laptop in the campus to do Downtown west liberation

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
Does the game even allow you to go to New York? Once you hit world tiers you have to start working through gear score so you're only like half way to the endgame of the original game.The World Tiers are a lot of fun honestly, or at least I enjoyed them. They're basically rerunning the old mission setpieces but the format of the missions and the enemies are completely different. You'll also get a new stronghold at the end of it and you still have the first year's DLC's to run.

I'm not sure if it even lets you. If it does let you, it seems to make no sense to go through all those missions/tiers and grind all the loot if it will just be worthless once going to NYC

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Any stats that just flat out suck?

Like I said, it all depends. DPS builds? Focus on weapon damage, crit damage, crit chance, and headshot damage. The increase is very minor anyway and the categories rotate in regards to which ones you can spend your points on. First level up allows you to increase one of the 4 stats in the offensive category. Second level up lets you do the same in the defensive category. Third for the utility category. Fourth for the handling category. Fifth for the scavenging category.

bossmonkey

Avenger
Nov 9, 2017
I'm not sure if it even lets you. If it does let you, it seems to make no sense to go through all those missions/tiers and grind all the loot if it will just be worthless once going to NYC

You're not really grinding. They're basically brand new missions in a familiar setting. You should be able to max your gear score at each tier by playing the provided missions.

Olengie

Oct 25, 2017
been putting stats in Skill, Damage, Armor, Accuracy, and Critical Hit Chance. I want to max out CHC so I can use weapons mods for other stuff.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
So i got the expansion and never really played D2 that much when it came out so my character was only level 4 or 5. So I did the boost to start the expansion and it feels like I am cheating. I have all these awesome items and guns and if feels like I cheated to get to 30 to play the expansion. I almost feel like playing through the base game as a lot of stuff is foreign to me and the special ability that I have I have no clue how to use properly or stuff like that. But damn is New York (On Xbox One X) is so great looking....feels like the engine was reworked as it looks so much better than the base game.

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Should I just rush to do the main missions in each area if I want to get to lvl 40 quick to experience the expansion? I'm guessing I could do the side missions and SHD tech later? I'm only asking because I read the season pass is end game only.