• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is good for the customers. Gamers don't understand Epic is trying to bring a healthy competition to PC Gaming. You guys are all wrong about Epic; they will end the shackles of the monopoly Steam has, and not only developers will be benefitted by this, but also you, too, will be benefitted by Epic Game Store. Also, fuck Valve and Gabe Newell.
You forgot your /s.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah you're right I forgot it's not on Steam anymore. MOBAs aren't really my thing.

That is an interesting article. I still think publishers are going to want to switch to platforms like Epic once they determine how much sales are affected by this switch.

If sales dip but not enough to offset the increase in profit from storefronts like Epic over Steam, you'd have to be crazy to think these big corporations aren't going to want to ditch Steam.
Like... never? Unless Epic gives them a big fat check, they wouldn't place their games exclusively on that store.

And sales must be really low, considering none of the companies that have signed these deals with Epic have posted if the sales were good or bad. Not even that.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1*_NbeheU7zOWV63JH2sIJUA.png

Men lie, Women lie but numbers don't

I mean, if someone comes to Steam to play DOTA and buys 12 other games over time, that seems like a win for Steam? I guess that graph doesn't say if those other games are also free to play, but still.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I mean. Free is free. But only as long as I can jailbreak it and launch it without their launcher running, like I can Subnautica. As long as it brings them no profit, it's all great with me.

No snark and I agree with your overall sentiment.

BUT there is a lot value for companies to have you and others as a number to tout to other companies/investors/press as 'monthly active users'. Doesn't matter if you spend $1,000 or a dime. There is value with you just being there.

I am not suggesting you stop anything at all. But this is the catch-22 with certain services.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Yeah you're right I forgot it's not on Steam anymore. MOBAs aren't really my thing.

That is an interesting article. I still think publishers are going to want to switch to platforms like Epic once they determine how much sales are affected by this switch.

If sales dip but not enough to offset the increase in profit from storefronts like Epic over Steam, you'd have to be crazy to think these big corporations aren't going to want to ditch Steam.

So my original question remains. What are the PC gamers on this website, who are most likely in the vocal minority like most of us that post on gaming forums, going to do when Epic, or stores like it, become the new normal for gaming?

Because I somehow doubt all of you would actually stop playing PC games.

There's very real probability that the fracturing of the PC launcher space will lead to higher piracy rates.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018

BUT there is a lot value for companies to have you and others as a number to tout to other companies/investors/press as 'monthly active users'. Doesn't matter if you spend $1,000 or a dime. There is value with you just being there.

I am not suggesting you stop anything at all. But this is the catch-22 with certain services.
Yeah, the "not being there" is precisely the reason why the jailbreaking is the important part. :P
I've only gotten Subnautica so far, so hopefully I've avoided inflating the MAU number for them.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if someone comes to Steam to play DOTA and buys 12 other games over time, that seems like a win for Steam? I guess that graph doesn't say if those other games are also free to play, but still.

Yes but now imagine the store has thousands of games and you're a developer. Gotta be pretty lucky to be one of those 12. Plus, are you gonna hedge your bets on the F2P player base or the base that is known to use the client to buy stuff other than battle passes?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

So my original question remains. What are the PC gamers on this website, who are most likely in the vocal minority like most of us that post on gaming forums, going to do when Epic, or stores like it, become the new normal for gaming?

so you think Epic is going to keep paying for games to be off steam for the rest of its existence as a Store?

Because so far that is what it is taking to do so.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Dude this whole epic thing is working out GREAT.

We've done this enough times, where you are starting to show your ass when you are cheerleading for this. it's transparent in a lot of cases that this is for no other reason then your fantasies about steam being dismantled one way or another.

Hear me now, believe me later. Steam is perceived as posing threats, real or imagined, in many directions. This explains and predicts the character of epic store support here.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
They have said they will discourage deep sales in their store, because they dont want that "sales" culture (also reason why they wont have wish list that tell you about when the game gets discounted).

Jesus, even Apple is falling from the pedestal of never discounts. Nintendo is doing deals on their titles lately. What are these people high on? This is a bunch of code that takes no effort to reproduce and there are so many games available most people don't have time to play the ones they want to play. You don't give me a discount on one shlooter, I got others to play. Same for FPSs, MoBAs, just about any kind of game.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, even Apple is falling from the pedestal of never discounts. Nintendo is doing deals on their titles lately. What are these people high on? This is a bunch of code that takes no effort to reproduce and there are so many games available most people don't have time to play the ones they want to play. You don't give me a discount on one shlooter, I got others to play. Same for FPSs, MoBAs, just about any kind of game.

They dont want discounts because their cut literally cannot handle it. They are already passing anything and everything they can onto the consumers, are they sustainable if company's start discoutning their games, and even further reduce their revenue?

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so you think Epic is going to keep paying for games to be off steam for the rest of its existence as a Store?

Because so far that is what it is taking to do so.

I absolutely do not think they will keep doing that.

I think if they can do that long enough to get people used to buying games on Epic, they eventually won't have to.

It's a gamble, but honestly if you can convince the publishers this is worth their time as a way to increase profit, it will work.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

I think if they can do that long enough to get people used to buying games on Epic, they eventually won't have to.

It's a gamble, but honestly if you can convince the publishers this is worth their time as a way to increase profit, it will work.
Big publishers wont go to EGS, they will use their own store where they get 100%.

Ubisoft accepted the payment from Epic because it was a nice way of knowing what they would lose in their GAAS games (the ones where most of the money comes from MTX) from going to Steam to uPlay while not losing any possible money due to the financial help from EPic.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer

First of all: If. Not when. Nothing's a guarantee, especially in this industry. Second: even if such a scenario occurred, I have enough games on Steam to last me the rest of my life. My backlog there is nearing quadruple digits thanks to bundles and whatnot. I can comfortably stick to my guns on this one.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

You mean like ubisoft, who just at the same time TD2 was being released and given exclusivity., released another game on Steam? But i thought the EGS was the best way to increase profit?

clamj00ce

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Fuck epic fuck Ubisoft and most importantly fuck everyone who buys this on the PC. It's sad people can't not buy a game if the people who make it treat you like trash.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
It will be interesting to see how UBI handles titles going forward, because it seems like Anno 1800 is still coming out on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/916440/Anno_1800/

Didn't realize Trials Fusion is on Steam too.

Arcade55 it's a little early to throw out future hypotheticals that don't exist yet. Games For Windows Live tried to bully it's way into the market and failed spectacularly. My gut feeling though is Epic is going to have to win over customers organically than trying to force them to their platform.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18400

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What like how basically every game has been sold on steam for the past 10 years?

This is kind of my point. Even if Epic Store or some other platform pushed it's way in I don't think it will have the devastating effect on PC Gaming that a lot of people in this thread think it will.

They will behave as if it will. I'm just not convinced they are right and not just the old guy yelling at the kid to get off their freshly mowed yard.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I cancelled my PC Pre-order today. Not because of this but because I got my hands full with games for the next weeks. Guess I won't get it then.

I have no problem with the epic store, I just don't like to pay full price for games. If they take away the key reseller prices... Well I'm not going to buy it.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't WANT anything to happen, I barely game on PC anymore these days.
And yet you cant wait for it?
I can't wait to see the PC community response when basically all games are only sold on Epic.
I just remember the PC gaming reaction to Steam and digital only games back in the day, and I am genuinely interested in the response to the Epic store (And other store fronts) getting more and more exclusives.

I remember when Steam and digital started getting big everyone said they would never switch to digital only games, and spouted doom about everything being pirated and the end of PC gaming. Now I'm seriously curious what the reaction from that same community will be with this new industry change.
That was 16 years ago when internet wasn't good enough anywhere with caps all over. It's a different time now (except for US mostly) and with PC being backwards compatible, who wants 1000 cds lying around? I wouldn't go digital on consoles because you still need to buy a remastered version for the next console if you wanna play it there.
It's not shit posting, and I honestly don't have a lot at stake in it.
I have both the Epic Store and Steam installed on my laptop and don't mind buying from either of them personally.
Well, thats good I guess.

That I like Spider-Man? That conclusion would be true.

If you are trying to imply I'm a sony fanboy, I own 114 Playstation 4 games.

I also own 37 Xbox Games, and 31 Switch Games.

Oh, and almost 300 PC games.

So yea, total fanboy.
Not necessarily a Sony fan, but more of a console player. While I got no problems with that, your first post kinda makes you look like someone who is trying to rile people up, while not even playing on PC.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
With its new Universal Windows Platform (UWP) initiative, Microsoft has built a closed platform-within-a-platform into Windows 10, as the first apparent step towards locking down the consumer PC ecosystem and monopolising app distribution and commerce.

In my view, this is the most aggressive move Microsoft has ever made. While the company has been convicted of violating antitrust law in the past, its wrongful actions were limited to fights with specific competitors and contracts with certain PC manufacturers.

This isn't like that. Here, Microsoft is moving against the entire PC industry – including consumers (and gamers in particular), software developers such as Epic Games, publishers like EA and Activision, and distributors like Valve and Good Old Games.

Microsoft has launched new PC Windows features exclusively in UWP, and is effectively telling developers you can use these Windows features only if you submit to the control of our locked-down UWP ecosystem. They're curtailing users' freedom to install full-featured PC software, and subverting the rights of developers and publishers to maintain a direct relationship with their customers.

I'm not questioning the idea of a Windows Store. I believe Microsoft has every right to operate a PC app store, and to curate it how they choose. This contrasts with the position the government took in its anti-trust prosecution, that Microsoft's free bundling of Internet Explorer with Windows was anti-competitive.

My view is that bundling is a valuable practice that benefits users, and my criticism is limited to Microsoft structuring its operating system to advantage its own store while unfairly disadvantaging competing app stores, as well as developers and publishers who distribute games directly to their customers.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war

Tim Sweeney 3 years ago ladies and gentlemen.

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of my point. Even if Epic Store or some other platform pushed it's way in I don't think it will have the devastating effect on PC Gaming that a lot of people in this thread think it will.

They will behave as if it will. I'm just not convinced they are right and not just the old guy yelling at the kid to get off their freshly mowed yard.

I love how people who say it themselves "I don't play on PC anymore BUT" and then proceed to claim a lot of bs.

Overture

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Any game sold on Steam could be sold anywhere else, it might have needed the Steam client, but you could get it from numerous different stores which then competed with each other by having sales and different prices. That doesn't happen with Epic exclusives. Does this really need explaining?

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
lol, why does a deal like this even make sense? They were originally only selling the game on Uplay, where they get 100% of the money, and third-party websites that they gave keys to.

So Epic handed them a bunch of money to essentially take a pay cut on sales of the game on their store?

It's one thing to pull a dev off Steam who was gonna lose 30%. But a dev who already has their own Steam competitor that's significantly better than the Epic Launcher?

All this news makes me want to do is buy a cheap Uplay key while I still can.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Microsoft was sued by the federal government for shit like this just FYI... they lost too.

That was a waaaaaay different situation. Much greater scale and importance. More insidious, too. I guess you could say it was more Microsoft. What epic is doing here is just a little Microsoft.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017

Hmmm, this makes me wonder if Epic will use giving away free games as a way to skew their statistics to investors/publishers/the press. After a year, they can claim they have X million users with an average games "purchased" of Y+12 (ie.the free games.) It can make the store look a lot more successful than it actually is.

To be fair though, I feel the free games are among the few things Epic is doing "properly" to drive people to the store -- alongside regional pricing, better dev cut, "first party" exclusives, lower prices on a few games etc.. If they only did stuff like that, I'd actually be cheering them on!

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who only has a vague idea of how these deals works, what's the benefit for Ubisoft here? I'd guess it's just the optics of not wanting prices to be lower on some random third party site while also driving sales to the platforms where they get the biggest cut right?

Business-wise, I get the decision in terms of potential to make more from each sale. As a consumer, I would rightfully be annoyed about having less purchase options though.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who only has a vague idea of how these deals works, what's the benefit for Ubisoft here? I'd guess it's just the optics of not wanting prices to be lower on some random third party site while also driving sales to the platforms where they get the biggest cut right?

Business-wise, I get the decision in terms of potential to make more from each sale. As a consumer, I would rightfully be annoyed about having less purchase options though.

Probably that devalue an issue, and maybe a little wad of cash from epic. And the fact that the game being pulled from steam and smaller stores will divert people to ubis launcher just as much as epics launcher.

Oct 26, 2017

The positives for Ubi are:

1) Cutting out sellers that both undercut their pricing and give a smaller cut.

2) Driving users from third parties and Steam directly to Epic, theoretically, who gives a larger cut. However, since EGS has very few notable features whatsoever, there's almost no point in buying there -- unlike Steam. So people will "cut out the middle man" and go Uplay.

3) Allowing them to dip their toes into Uplay exclusivity without technically doing so. It gives them a kind of plausible deniability.

4) Getting a fat cheque from Epic for doing it, on top of the above.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Microsoft was sued by the federal government for shit like this just FYI... they lost too.

Wasn't that because they were doing something fancy with IE/Office and not providing proper switching options?

People will parade on the streets when the Epic Launcher gets irrelevant, and it will be a damn good parade.

That's gonna be one small ass parade and everybody is gonna be dressed as Sailor Moon

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Sweeney a couple weeks ago:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/25/...olens-2-open-principles-tim-sweeney-interview

"I feel like it really marks a new era for Microsoft under Satya Nadella, Alex Kipman, Phil Spencer, and a number of other people who are really committed to the platform being a healthy ecosystem for everybody and not just an extracted business like you see on the Facebook or Google side," explains Sweeney.

"I welcome Microsoft having a store on Windows, what I've always resisted was a push to close down Windows to competing stores. There are various limited versions of Windows, such as Windows RT… which are no longer in the marketplace now which is a wonderful step forward for Microsoft. We're back at the point where Windows is a completely open platform for everyone, and we can trust and invest in it."

While Microsoft revealed its open principles at a HoloLens event, they apply to the Windows operating system that powers the headset. It's a significant change to see Microsoft embracing rival app stores, and keeping the APIs and driver models for future devices like the HoloLens open. "Everybody in the industry can now invest in HoloLens knowing it's a sound investment, that the platform maker won't come in a few years and change the rules and confiscate our investments for themselves as we saw happen as Facebook changed its rules over time," says Sweeney.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When they fail to convince publishers that it's worth it to hand exclusivity over to the epic's store. I will be interested to see the fallout than.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling and drive-by posting, previous infractions
Wow this is just so amazing. I have no stake in this, so I am going to enjoy the salt.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

... If you are a big corporation, why the fuck would you go Epic instead of making your own client?

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
does this mean i can't buy a key from CDkeys???????

because if so FUCK EPIC. i ain't paying £50 for this game.