• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Ooh, yeah! Another great big step for competition!

if y'all even try and spin this in a good way, you're wrong. You're absolutely 100% completely wrong. Epic has/is in the processes of creating the monopoly that y'all are so fuckin' against.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, "fuck Epic" until they wave another free shiny game on your wishlist in your face, and then you'll lap it up like a grateful starved street dog.
eh what? lol.

Dunno about other people but I sure as shit haven't played a single one of their free games. So as has been said, fuck Epic.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So Epic is paying Ubisoft big bucks for exclusivity but everyone will buy it on Uplay because why would anyone want to buy it on Epic over Uplay, especially when you can use those Uplay coins for a 20% discount? Seems like a no brainer for Ubisoft to get easy money from Epic while The Division 2 still works to push their own launcher.

Also yes, I can sure see how this has benefited us consumers Supergiant and Epic.....

Anyways, makes it extra easy to wait to play the game for a year, especially as shlooters always start rough.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand how in the world Ubisoft thinks that they will benefit from Epic exclusivity. All of their games require Uplay anyway. Even if you buy the game on Steam, it is still added to your Uplay library and you have to launch Uplay. Uplay also lets you get a 20% discount at launch with 100 Uplay points, something that Steam cannot do, so the logical solution for like 90% of people is to just skip any third-party sites and just buy directly on Uplay - cheaper and more convenient. The only thing they are doing is making sure that people who like to have all of their games on Steam will probably not buy TD2.
I feel like Ubisoft is using Epic as a scapegoat so they can leave Steam while minimalizing the backlash.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
How come the 12% cut version is more expensive than the 30% cut version, I was told lower cuts will make games cheaper
I don't think there have been any disclosures of what cut third party stores are offered for uPlay keys. We know Steam charge 30% for games sold on Steam, but I don't think we have data with which to make the comparison you are making. Unless there is data I have not seen.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous.

Loving all this "competition" that means I have to pay like £10+ more for my games.

Deleted member 10852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
soo i checked nuuvem, epic and uplay
im from chile
41.66 usd = 28000 clp in nuuvem
52.35 usd = 35163 clp in epic
51.89 usd = 34900 clp in uplay

COMPETITION

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So Epic is paying Ubisoft big bucks for exclusivity but everyone will buy it on Uplay because why would anyone want to buy it on Epic over Uplay, especially when you can use those Uplay coins for a 20% discount? Seems like a no brainer for Ubisoft to get easy money from Epic while The Division 2 still works to push their own launcher.

Doubly so because pressing play on the Epic client will probably just launch Uplay anyway, like all of Ubi's games on Steam.

Nov 8, 2017
The last thing Ubisoft publicly said was that overall preorders were up compared to the first game, and uPlay preorders in particular were up by 5x compared to The Division 1. In light of both pieces of information, it seems likely that future major ubisoft titles will eventually go uPlay exclusive now that customers have demonstrated that they are willing to buy directly from Ubisoft. Epic's move here has shown them not that Epic is great for them, but that they actually don't need anyone else on PC at all.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Please, some store offer this for cheaper so I can grab it before this nonsense happens.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I still don't understand how in the world Ubisoft thinks that they will benefit from Epic exclusivity. All of their games require Uplay anyway. Even if you buy the game on Steam, it is still added to your Uplay library and you have to launch Uplay. Uplay also lets you get a 20% discount at launch with 100 Uplay points, something that Steam cannot do, so the logical solution for like 90% of people is to just skip any third-party sites and just buy directly on Uplay - cheaper and more convenient. The only thing they are doing is making sure that people who like to have all of their games on Steam will probably not buy TD2.

I don't know I think it's a savvy move. They have enough content to test the waters without making huge waves. They get a nice big up front check from Epic and because it's a service game so deeply tied to Uplay where core Ubi fans can cash in coins for a discount that means they push more sales thru their direct store keeping the full 30% they would owe Valve

And if people buy on the Epic store they get more of a cut there as well than they were getting with Steam.

I think it's a masterful move if it works to drive more players thru their storefront because they are upset or don't trust Epic.

Remember by them getting 100% and potential new users in their ecosystem, they can sell fewer copies and still take home more money than before.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The last thing Ubisoft publicly said was that overall preorders were up compared to the first game, and uPlay preorders in particularbwere up by 5x compared to The Division 1. In light of both pieces of information, it seems likely that future major ubisoft titles will eventually go uPlay exclusive now that customers have demonstrated that they are willing to buy directly from Ubisoft. Epic's move here has shown them not that Epic is great for them, but that they actually don't need anyone else on PC at all.

But if pre-orders are up on uPlay and Epic are still happy to give them free money anyway, UbiSoft will probably take it.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
soo i checked nuuvem, epic and uplay
im from chile
41.66 usd = 28000 clp in nuuvem
52.35 usd = 35163 clp in epic
51.89 usd = 34900 clp in uplay

COMPETITION
In my case:
$37 Nuuvem
Between $45 to $50 in other stores.
$60 Uplay and Epic Game Store.

HURRAY FOR COMPETITION!!!

The last thing Ubisoft publicly said was that overall preorders were up compared to the first game, and uPlay preorders in particular were up by 5x compared to The Division 1. In light of both pieces of information, it seems likely that future major ubisoft titles will eventually go uPlay exclusive now that customers have demonstrated that they are willing to buy directly from Ubisoft. Epic's move here has shown them not that Epic is great for them, but that they actually don't need anyone else on PC at all.
Personally I wouldn't mind if they go this route, as long as they let other storefronts sell keys.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
I don't think there have been any disclosures of what cut third party stores are offered for uPlay keys. We know Steam charge 30% for games sold on Steam, but I don't think we have data with which to make the comparison you are making. Unless there is data I have not seen.

Greenmangaming charges 30% for steam and uplay keys https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/...ll-or-publish-your-game-with-Green-Man-Gaming

But admittedly I can't tell you if it differs across other stores like the one you posted a screenshot from

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Well, I for one will never buy a game from the Epic store, but nothing i nthe OP indicates that its epic blocking the uplay keys. If anything, it may be ubisoft trying their luck.

I think they mean "why not fuck both". As in "Fuck Ubisoft, and also fuck Epic." :) (they're not wrong, it takes two to tango).

I've defended some of the Epic store stuff in the past but this is really shitty. They deserve all the heat they get.

There's an outlet called Gamersgate?

How unfortunate

Highly unfortunate. They've been around since way before GamerGate became a thing. Can't have been fun working there in the past few years.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But it's just another launcher, toxic Steam userbase...

*writes thinkpiece about the benefits of EGS, doesn't actually play PC games*

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Greenmangaming charges 30% for steam and uplay keys https://greenmangaming.zendesk.com/...ll-or-publish-your-game-with-Green-Man-Gaming

But admittedly I can't tell you if it differs across other stores like the one you posted a screenshot from

Interesting! I'd not seen that, although I'd also be curious if they might negotiate a different deal with a publisher the size of Ubisoft.

But yeah like you say, different retailers might be taking different cuts on this game.

There's an outlet called Gamersgate?

How unfortunate
https://www.polygon.com/2014/10/23/7045179/ceo-gamersgate-com-is-not-gamergate

They predate the hate movement by quite some time.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Welp. Was gonna get this down the line when GMG or similar had a big sale on it, it looks like this is a permanent pass now

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have they? It's actually gone down since I last looked. It was like £39 yesterday I swear.

it's not much, but last I saw it was £34.99.

I'm pretty sure they've previously said they have an algorithm for small price increases anyway depending on demand, so probably unrelated. Just thought it was funny.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is brilliant news. PC gaming is now one step closer to being the utopia that is console gaming.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty fucking low ubi. May pass on this game altogether and get destiny 2 xpac instead for my loot grind needs. This is a scummy fucking practice. This is how you get me to stay away from your store epic.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
in five years when all their pc sales are down and they say they're focusing more on consoles or wah piracy im just gonna scream

these idiots paint themselves into the dumbest corners

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting! I'd not seen that, although I'd also be curious if they might negotiate a different deal with a publisher the size of Ubisoft.

But yeah like you say, different retailers might be taking different cuts on this game.

https://www.polygon.com/2014/10/23/7045179/ceo-gamersgate-com-is-not-gamergate

They predate the hate movement by quite some time.
Problem is if they change the cut, they won't be able to offer some of those pre-order discounts.

Nov 8, 2017
But if pre-orders are up on uPlay and Epic are still happy to give them free money anyway, UbiSoft will probably take it.

It will depend on whether or not they believe that dropping the Epic versions will actually reduce sales or simply drive the same number of customers to buy the uPlay version. The amount Epic pays them will be weighed against the expected profits of going fully exclusive.

I can only speculate but they will want to go full exclusive eventually even if they still release a few more games on Steam or Epic for this yer and next.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I look forward to more high school- economics-tier crowing about how this is great competition.

What a wonderful consumer experience this has been.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
In a recent interview with Edge Magazine (reproduced via (Awful version of ERA)), Sweeney doubled down on the argument that UWP is part of a long-term plan to lock gamers into Microsoft's distribution net.

Tim Sweeney: The risk here is that, if Microsoft convinces everyone to use UWP, then they phase out Win32 apps. If they can succeed in doing that then it's a small leap to forcing all apps and games to be distributed through the Windows store. Once we reach that point, the PC has become a closed platform. It won't be that one day they flip a switch that will break your Steam library – what they're trying to do is a series of sneaky maneuvers. They make it more and more inconvenient to use the old apps, and, simultaneously, they try to become the only source for the new ones.

Hmmmm. :thinking:

Shawcroft

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, a new low indeed.

Hope sales on the Epic Store amount to shit all and Ubisoft won't engage in any further shenanigans like this but I'm expecting the worst.

Some suit will probably see that hey, technically Uplay sales are up so that's a plus! Steam was holding us back!