• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How well do you think The Division 2 will review?

• Amazingly well

Votes: 198 11.2%
  • Solidly

Votes: 1,259 71.2%
  • Middle-of-the-road

Votes: 291 16.4%
  • Badly

Votes: 21 1.2%

• Total voters

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
This game deserves a 9 out of 10 in my opinion or at least an 8. They did a fantastic job with it.

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
I usually don't really care what MC any particular game gets (although Anthem was something to see). But with this game, it really bugs me it's not getting a better metacritic score. The game is, pardon my language, fucking awesome. It deserves more credit.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
looks like ubisoft fixed most of the complaints from the original in 2.

that said, i wished it is on a different 'settings'. Military-esque settings in washington DC? I don't know how things can be even more generic from a personal point of view.

Great for those into this type of games and settings though.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
This game deserves a 9 out of 10 in my opinion or at least an 8. They did a fantastic job with it.
This.

The game is a bit overwhelming IMO in terms of game mechanics but not so overwhelming that it's impossible to get a grasp of.

I am still learning how to use my time effeciently between missions and answering agents calls for help, best loadout and gear to use. When to scrap and when to save weapons etc. etc. There really is alot to consider when playing and i kind of like it. Discussions like the Division 2 OT is fun because everyone is giving their input.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, some technical issues notwithstanding, it really is fantastic. Very satisfying to play. Everyone who's into these types of games seems to be really enjoying it from what I've seen.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Game is also seriously becoming of one the best looking games ever for me. Not only because of its graphics per se, but because of the huge scale of the world map and how every single object from a soda can to a fucking mars rover is modeled in painstakingly detail. It makes the whole thing much more cohesive and believable.

That's on PC with all maxed at 3440x1440 and 60 FPS locked though, not sure if I can say the same for the console versions.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
Game is also seriously becoming of one the best looking games ever for me. Not only because of its graphics per se, but because of the huge scale of the world map and how every single object from a soda can to a fucking mars rover is modeled in painstakingly detail. It makes the whole thing much more cohesive and believable.

That's on PC with all maxed at 3440x1440 and 60 FPS locked though, not sure if I can say the same for the console versions.
What blew my mind was when walking around your character foot will hit objects scattered on the ground and i hear the sounds so clearly in my Sony 7.1 channel headset. Turned a corner too quickly and hit a couple of glass bottles on a table. The building interiors with debris everywhere and ambient light from smouldering fires and or lamps is just jaw dropping. Then you still have to factor in the rain storms, mist and fog and the sunsets, WOW.

It must have taken the devs ages to craft this world but one that you have to appreciate the amount of effort they put into it. Crazy detail everywhere. i can imaging this in 4k on PC with everything turned up to max must have one reaching for a tub of vaseline and tissue.

Wish this game had a flashlight you could use in dark alleys but man the games atmosphere and graphics is top tier.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's awesome to see so many positive impressions from critics, but most of all people on ERA. It's a tough wait for me - I'm saving it for the Easter long weekend near the end of April. Suuuuuper looking forward to it. That plus Game of the Thrones in the same weekend. OMG.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
After playing the demo for a bit, i get what the game is trying to do and i really want to get the game but i do think it has to be a little bit balanced towards solo play.
I have an Ubi promo code ready and waiting for this.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
People need to stop spreading the horseshit that Ubisoft games are soulless when they consistently produce titles with ridiculously good art and world design. What they've managed to do with a relatively generic setting like DC is nothing short of incredible. They did it with San Francisco in Watch Dogs 2. Of course there will be people who never plan to play the game who feel the need to pipe up with the soulless or generic remarks.

Fully agree. Ubi has really turned things around this gen with WD2, AC Odyssey, Far Cry 5, and now Division 2. They've easily become one of my favourite publishers.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This one can definitely be enjoyed solo.
I guess my question would be less "can solo enjoyment somehow be squeezed from this game" and more "does this game compete with the premier solo player experiences competing for my time"

I know that's not the game's goal, so it would just be an unexpected happy occurrence

Last edited:

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I guess my question would be less "can solo enjoyment somehow be squeezed from this game" and more "does this game compete with the premier solo player experiences competing for my time"

I know that's not the game's goal, so it would just be an unexpected happy occurrence
It's designed around co-op play of course, but it's more than capable of delivering a very, very good, enjoyable, and meaty campaign even for solo players (if you're not expecting a knockout story, that is). Missions, combat encounters, enemy variety, AI design, build variety, open world- all of this is stuff that shines in solo play pretty much just as much as it does when played with friends (or through matchmaking).

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
People need to stop spreading the horseshit that Ubisoft games are soulless when they consistently produce titles with ridiculously good art and world design. What they've managed to do with a relatively generic setting like DC is nothing short of incredible. They did it with San Francisco in Watch Dogs 2. Of course there will be people who never plan to play the game who feel the need to pipe up with the soulless or generic remarks.
I think the Division and Far Cry games are a little different with how the developers talk about them publicly. I don't blame anyone for calling them soulless when the marketing materials designed to sell the games have more to say than the professionally written stories contained in the games themselves. Especially when we have the developer on the record saying they are intentionally making their games this way to avoid hurting anyone's feelings.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

It's dotted with reaction-baiting nods to hot topics – there's mention of "walls" and "swamps" – but it's reluctant to engage with these parallels in depth. There's a strong sense that the game is ducking such conversations because it is, in fact, a celebration of weaponised inequality. For some, the US is already a place where harsh social divisions are maintained by violence, where straying into the wrong region as a member of the wrong demographic can get you killed. The Division 2 takes place after the country's collapse, but it operates on much the same landscape of systematic discrimination, and it has nothing of worth to say about it

That review also didn't mention a single thing about endgame.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
*looks at review scores*
tenor.gif

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What's a good summary for the pros and cons?

81 meta, what are the main problems reviewers had.

Thinking of picking this up tomorrow. Skipped the original

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
So these late reviews.. do they still serve any purpose? It's a game where you have to level up fast or walk behind and get one shotted all the time.
Maybe deliver review copies a little sooner Ubi...

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
lol at the comparison to Skyrim in one of the views. I really enjoyed the original and they ironed out a lot of the flaws of the first one from what I played in the beta. I still can't get the hang of the complicated inventory and clunky skills upgrade process (go back to base to upgrade your skills, really?) but the gameplay loop was very good, and that's really what matters.

I hope people are satisfied with this game, also on its own merits and not just because other similar games were lacklustre.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's a good summary for the pros and cons?

81 meta, what are the main problems reviewers had.

Thinking of picking this up tomorrow. Skipped the original

Here's a summary:
Pros: Very good game, a standout in the looter-shooter genre, great even for solo players, Ubi is also on top when it comes to support, bugfixing and communication with the playerbase, loads of content, beautiful presentation, great gameplay diversity.
Cons: It has no political commentary, which it obviously should have because it takes place in Washington.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Here's a summary:
Pros: Very good game, a standout in the looter-shooter genre, great even for solo players, Ubi is also on top when it comes to support, bugfixing and communication with the playerbase, loads of content, beautiful presentation, great gameplay diversity.
Cons: It has no political commentary, which it obviously should have because it takes place in Washington.
Sounds good to be honest. Especially being good for solo players.

Will Def pick up.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
When was the last time CCC was relevant for anything? Shit reminds me of American Idol or something. Always gotta have the Simon Cowell of the group :/

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Vehemently disagree, just because it takes place in D.C. does not mean it absolutely must have forced political agendas/current events smattered all about, I play games to escape the current radical political climate, not to get a distasteful regurgitated newsfeed with slanted jabs at either side of the table.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017

Hmmm...

I have not yet played the division 2, so I don't really have a dog in this fight, but I love looter shooters, hence me checking out this thread to see what the critical opinion is.

This review.... is something else... First of all, the only real gameplay complaint i can find is that the loot gets in the way (huh?). Has this reviewer played any other games in this genre? Has he heard of diablo, which is literally all loot? All the other complaints seem to be about not having enough social commentary.

I guess the good one can take away from this is that games / gaming has come a long way if this is the discourse around them now.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vehemently disagree, just because it takes place in D.C. does not mean it absolutely must have forced political agendas/current events smattered all about, I play games to escape the current radical political climate, not to get a distasteful regurgitated newsfeed with slanted jabs at either side of the table.

That's exactly my take as well, I was mocking the "journalists" who believe that the political message of a video game is an important thing that should be considered when scoring the game.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The last place I'd look for meaningful political commentary is a game about increasing the crit chance on my superhero cop assassin.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly my take as well, I was mocking the "journalists" who believe that the political message of a video game is an important thing that should be considered when scoring the game.

When a game is so clearly political and yet does it as bad as this one it needs to be commented on.
That having been said ducking it so many points for that alone seems very harsh.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
As a previous staunch anthem defender anything less than an 8/10 for Div 2 is utter madness.

It's absolutely staggering the amount of enjoyment / gametime I have gotten out of the game since early release and as we all know with these types of games it's only the beginning. It's by far the best launch for one of these games to date.

I still wish they had taken more risks with the gameplay but other than that I adore it.

Tratorn

Oct 25, 2017

Yep, you can totally see that the reviewer knows what he is talking about and is not biased by that "generic/politics" nonsense. He knows (looter) shooters and is reviewing the game based on that, nothing more.
And if you do that, you can't come to the conclusion that this is a mediocre or even bad game.

It has some technical issues/bugs, but the game itself is doing a lot of things right and is just a lot of fun if you like genre.
It's even really good as a single player experience and has enough content without doing things like the raid or visiting the Dark Zone / PvP modes.

Drey1082

Oct 27, 2017
When a game is so clearly political and yet does it as bad as this one it needs to be commented on.
That having been said ducking it so many points for that alone seems very harsh.

This is fair. You can address the political missteps if that's your opinion as a reviewer. That's completely understandable. It's the specific lack of opinions on gameplay and seeming lack of insight on looter shooters (i.e. is it a good one of these?) that rubs me the wrong way reading it.