• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How well do you think The Division 2 will review?

• Amazingly well

Votes: 198 11.2%
  • Solidly

Votes: 1,259 71.2%
  • Middle-of-the-road

Votes: 291 16.4%
  • Badly

Votes: 21 1.2%

• Total voters

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Diesel%2Fblog%2Fubisoft-to-release-tom-clancy-s-the-division-2-on-epic-games-store%2FEGS_BANNER_TheDivision2-1900x600-4faf5583c78f574c9d87e6b60cf7c3f720708dea.jpg

82 on OpenCritic
81 on Metacritic

Metro GameCentral: 7/10
This is a competent, slightly repetitive, but content rich sequel; it's a difficult game to get excited about but if not for the storytelling a hard one to hate. Whether the apolitical standing bothers you is an entirely personal matter, but it's especially frustrating when it often seems the most interesting thing about the game.

GameSpot: 9/10
"Encouraging" is generally how I feel about The Division 2 at this point in time. It's got a fantastic sense of place and progression, and the combat scenarios and skills continue to be interesting. There's a lot of love, especially among the minor improvements--the small design decisions that make the act of finding and equipping loot so snappy and convenient, or the smart integration of per-mission multiplayer matchmaking that even lets you call upon other players in the middle of a mission. I haven't personally hit any server issues or major bugs, just some humorous oddities, like a floating iPad entertaining two excited children.

Destructoid: 8.5/10
Despite my misgivings with the narrative, The Division 2 is a polished shooter and that counts for a hell of a lot. Mission variety is on point, there seems to be a decent amount of progression available, and there's a lot to do.

IGN: 8.5/10
The Division 2 has already succeeded in many areas where the original faltered, and as a result my impressions so far are largely positive. Gunplay is punchier, enemies are more mechanically diverse, loot is generous and interesting, and its wonderfully realized recreation of Washington DC is sufficiently populated with fun activities and hidden goodies. Based on what I played of the private and open beta tests, I'm still concerned that the combat may revert to its spongy state in the endgame, but for now, The Division 2 feels very good.

Forbes: 9/10
Simply put, there is a massive amount of content here, the game is not (as of yet) broken so you can easily play through it, and at its base, it's very fun. No, I don't prefer gameplay to other titles in the genre, but releasing a full, coherent, working game goes a long way in this day and age, and it appears The Division 2 has done just that.

GameReactor: 9/10
The Division 2 has improved upon absolutely everything from the original, and the game is breathtaking both visually and in terms of gameplay. Washington D.C. is beautiful and diverse, while at the same time filled with different things to do, all of which reward you in one way or another, from the prologue through to the hours upon hours you'll spend in the endgame after the credits roll. Massive's online-RPG comes with a very forgettable story, some technical hiccups, and gameplay that still feels a bit repetitive despite offering more variation than most other similarly-styled titles, but these faults don't detract from the fact that The Division 2 is one of, if not the, best looter-shooters in years.

PC Gamer: 82/100
I've not even had the chance to dive into The Dark Zone yet, or the Conflict PvP content. This is a big game, with a potentially long tail, driven by a year of free updates to come. My sense so far is that this is a very complete-feeling follow-up to The Division, from a team that clearly learned a lot about its audience after a series of successful, high-value updates. Those players probably know they want this already—for anyone else who's curious about The Division 2, this may end up being the right looter shooter at the right time.

Telegraph: N/A
Maybe it is just the disappointment at Bioware's sci-fi scramble of incessant loading screens, connection issues and disparate adventuring talking, but I half expected to go into Ubisoft's game facing a clutch of the same issues. But that hasn't happened; I fired up The Division 2, crafted my macho bearded soldier man and sent him into the post-apocalyptic capital to shoot bad guys and find sweet new kneepads. And several hours later, I'm still enjoying a compelling, mechanically satisfying --if aesthetically uninspiring-- shooter. And that's with very few technical hiccups, aside from the odd floating corpse and texture pop-in.

TheSixthAxis: N/A
After half a dozen hours, The Division 2 doesn't yet feel like a remarkable, revolutionary sequel, but more of a logical, considered follow up that builds on all the hard work that went into improving the original. The downside is that it's maybe not that exciting, and the early story beats don't really help that, but then we're marching through to the end game where most of the time with The Division 2 will be spent.

CheatCodeCentral: 2.8/5
The Division 2 is a loot shooter with too much junk loot, a non-political story fueled by bargain bin politics, and a lovingly rendered Washington D.C. that mostly makes you crouch behind piles of garbage inside dark buildings. It's hard to tell what this game's intended identity is, or if it's just a conveyor belt designed to drag players along a set of gradually increasing numbers. I never once thought I was experiencing something exciting, unique, or creative when I played this game, yet hours of my life seem to have vanished. Loot shooters are an increasingly crowded space, and The Division 2 is fighting a losing battle for my attention.

GamingInstincts: 9/10
This is a world that demands your attention. This is a captivating, ocean-deep experience that harks back to the Skyrim-days of open-world games. The Division 2 improves vastly on its predecessor, and the games that make up its competition. Those games should be shaking in their boots, because The Division 2 is coming, and it isn't going to stop until it sits atop the throne.

Gamersky: 9.1/10
With a decent end-game experience, The Division 2 becomes much better than its prequel, and I believe it's even better than Destiny 2 and far superior to Anthem. However, the PS4 version has suffered a serious Bug which repeatedly crashes the game since its initial release day.

Eurogamer Italy: 9/10
Ubisoft has succeeded in making The Division 2 contents so long and deep to keep us entertained for the whole length of the main campaign, and even after that. The end game is what you could expect: shoot, loot, rinse and repeat, but at least there are many ways to approach it.

Game Informer: 9/10
Story failings and technical hiccups aside, Ubisoft has a winner on its hands with The Division 2. The strong combat, interesting missions, and compelling loot loop kept me invested through the endgame, and I don't plan to stop playing anytime soon. For a live-service game just getting out of the gate, that's quite an achievement.

GamingBolt: 9/10
The Division 2 is off to an amazing start already. It's by far the easiest recommendation at launch this genre has had in many, many years- now to see whether or not Ubisoft and Massive continue to capitalize on this foundation in the coming months and years. Right now, The Division 2 is very well positioned to become the definitive looter shooter experience out there, so here's hoping its post-launch support does justice to the extremely impressive foundation the game itself has laid down.

Variety: Negative
It's remorseless violence, repetitious and ingrained after only a few hours. The Division 2 becomes a passive activity, blind to basic narrative technique and crass in form. No characters stand out, no personalities prove memorable, while the ultimate purpose seems to only instill an eventual tyranny.

Last edited:

sambills

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
sounds promising, looking forward to this

probably will pick it up when it goes on sale

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
so the score is N/A out of 100 till now? ;) hopefully soon they ll start giving the scores but it seems positive till now

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Early impressions are really positive on Twitter, I think Ubi have a hit on their hands here.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
Impressions seem good, especially in the OT. I'm really on the fence about pre-ordering this game ready for Friday or not.

Edit: Yeah, I caved. Ordered!

Last edited:

WoahW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the first one day one but this one seems like a wait for a sale for me which is totally against my normal habits. With so many games out I don't think I can justify this at full price. Especially after the flop known as Anthem that all my buddies bought and none of us play

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's fucking great, improves on the first in pretty much every way. I'll be pretty shocked if it doesn't get 9/10s in the majority of cases, honestly.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Game is really fun, will definitely put it in the mid 80s for an average. Really cohesive package (so far) in an era of loot-n-shoots. Like, I've spent a majority of my 5 played hours doing side missions and random events and control points. Gameplay loop is engaging enough to not feel repatitive.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
It's fucking great, improves on the first in pretty much every way. I'll be pretty shocked if it doesn't get 9/10s in the majority of cases, honestly.
Been playing it myself and I'm really enjoying it. Forbes described it as the first comprehensive, competent loot shooter launch in ages and I'd absolutely agree with that.

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
D2 definitely improves upon a lot of the things that made D1 good. I'm excited to see where they go with it after seeing the lengths they took the first game. I'm in that honeymoon period for sure, but I'm hoping to see it well reviewed and not just as a comparison against what else is out there.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
85-88 meta. Can see people being super positive after Anthem's flaws have and continue to be so glaring

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a lot of positive buzz from the people playing it early (admittedly it might be biased since they spent so much).

I'm expecting a 91.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Everything I've heard thus far makes it sound like they've finally broken the curse of the looter shooter launch so I'll go 85+. And I really hope they have broken it and shown it can be done.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Considering the positive air around this, I can see this making 86 OC.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
Probably solidly although it should be tanked for having an ingame shop and lootboxes imho.
It should be tanked for having microtransactions at all, there is a version of it that costs 1000 NOK on PSN compared to 5-600 for normal games.
80-85.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Probably 80-81 MC, better than Division 1 but not enough of a change to warrant a vastly higher score.

Oct 30, 2017
Sub-90 for sure. 85-87 is where I see it landing. Regardless, these impressions are making me more interested. I've been replaying Div 1 and remembered why I spent so much time with it. The game, at its core, is just a lot of fun to play bullet sponges or no. End-game weapons feel powerful while world tiers and difficulty levels still keep engagements interesting and challenging. If Div 2 improves on this then I'm sold.

I'd be hyped as hell if they had dynamic seasons a la FH4.

Broadbandit

Oct 29, 2017
Probably solidly although it should be tanked for having an ingame shop and lootboxes imho.
It should be tanked for having microtransactions at all, there is a version of it that costs 1000 NOK on PSN compared to 5-600 for normal games.
80-85.

considering the first year of DLC (and possibly more after that) is free for EVERYONE, I don't mind the in game shops/MTs

spacer

Oct 30, 2017
I'm predicting high 80s. I think reviewers will look favorable on it, not only because it is launching in a great state and there is plenty to do, but also because it's night and day quality in compassion to Anthem, which is still fresh in everyone's mind.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Sub-90 for sure. 85-87 is where I see it landing. Regardless, these impressions are making me more interested. I've been replaying Div 1 and remembered why I spent so much time with it. The game, at its core, is just a lot of fun to play bullet sponges or no. End-game weapons feel powerful while world tiers and difficulty levels still keep engagements interesting and challenging. If Div 2 improves on this then I'm sold.

If the bullet sponges were a mark against the game for you (and I totally understand the complain), the TTK for enemies has been drastically reduced in Div 2.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I expecting it to be in the mid to high 80s. It's everything other recent releases were not—at least for now.

Should be a monster sales hit regardless.

May 17, 2018
but releasing a full, coherent, working game goes a long way in this day and age, and it appears The Division 2 has done just that.

Good lord, what an indictment of the industry.

I'm excited for this game, but, it absolutely sucks that "functions as intended for a full priced game" is considered a bulletpoint now a days.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

There are added mechanics to significantly reduce or otherwise vary the combat v. a bullet sponge type enemy. It's really, really neat IMO.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
, but releasing a full, coherent, working game goes a long way in this day and age, and it appears The Division 2 has done just that.
The fact this is the glowing thing that we have to say about a multiplayer title in 2019 fucking sucks.