• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you have to wait. If you start on March 3rd you'll already play with the new gear system but honestly gear and builds are basically pointless during the leveling process cause you change out every for higher level/gearscore anyway.
And if you play through the missions and such till March 3rd you can immediately (if you want to) jump into the expansion and level to 40 and THEN start properly gearing yourself with the new system and loot

Thanks.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
At first, I was all ready to jump back in, but then I ran down the feature list for WONY again, and I'll likely wait for a sale. It's what I wanted from an expansion, but the price is a bit steep. My favorite things in the game are exploring and the (main) missions, and it doesn't seem like a great value proposition in those regards. The map size part in particular, assuming the four zones are of comparable size to DC's. Ultimately, 30 is not all that much, but I got the base game for not a lot more than that when it came out, so that's also kinda coloring my perception.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
At first, I was all ready to jump back in, but then I ran down the feature list for WONY again, and I'll likely wait for a sale. It's what I wanted from an expansion, but the price is a bit steep. My favorite things in the game are exploring and the (main) missions, and it doesn't seem like a great value proposition in those regards. The map size part in particular, assuming the four zones are of comparable size to DC's. Ultimately, 30 is not all that much, but I got the base game for not a lot more than that when it came out, so that's also kinda coloring my perception.
if you want to get it cheaper day 1 you can use the 20% off 100 uplay point coupon on it

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I booted the game up again but when it loaded I looked at my inventory full of gear and started trying to figure out what was good or not. Then I simply shut the game down again. Definitely waiting for gear 2.0.

Gonna hold fire on the expansion to see how that shakes out based on base game launch. Also this 'battle pass' has really rubbed me the wrong way so I might wait for discount.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Is it worth going through the base campaign now or should I wait till the new Gear system? I don't own the expansion nor plan on getting it for a few months at least.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is it worth going through the base campaign now or should I wait till the new Gear system? I don't own the expansion nor plan on getting it for a few months at least.
if you just play through the campaign then the new gear system isn't really going to change much for you cause you are just switching to higher level items the whole time anyway.
i#d say get it cheap now, play it and then jump back in whenever which will give you more content and patches to your experience again

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
if you just play through the campaign then the new gear system isn't really going to change much for you cause you are just switching to higher level items the whole time anyway.
i#d say get it cheap now, play it and then jump back in whenever which will give you more content and patches to your experience again
Cool, thanks!

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I played a while back up to when the first raid came out and have some gear sets and the like. Since I'm already at max level is it worth playing until the expansion comes out? I imagine all the new stuff will make the old stuff redundant?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I played a while back up to when the first raid came out and have some gear sets and the like. Since I'm already at max level is it worth playing until the expansion comes out? I imagine all the new stuff will make the old stuff redundant?
There are new missions you haven't done yet that you can play through but gear wise it doesn't matter

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019

Doubt it. Targeted Loot is still gonna have some use in D.C, especially for grinding specific brands and weapons with gear 2.0 at Warlords release.

As for your question, in case you do have the year 1 pass, it's not a bad idea to max out the three post-launch specializations that were releasd (Gunner, Technician, and Firewall) before the expac releases

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
It's true that Level 40 gear will all be better than Level 30 gear.

The reasons to play now:
1 - Get all of the blueprints (the crafting bench will allow upgrading of them to level 40) - a good amount of blueprints are locked behind doing weekly runs of the normal mode raid
2 - Get all of the exotics (these are being re-tooled, so it's impossible to say which will be really strong going forward, but the devs have said on Twitter they are looking to make them upgradeable to level 40, so they will likely still be relevant going forward)
3 - Get all of the weapon mods (a lot is changing, so this meta might shake up)
4 - Get some high attribute rolls to save for re-calibration (while it looks like many of the attribute ranges will get boosted with the new update (Armor/Health) and some are being wiped completely (Skill Power), what they've shown so far is that a lot of TU7 god rolls may still be god rolls in TU8 - weapon damage, crit chance, armor %, health % etc. While it's not a sure thing, not a bad idea to farm Alps/Airaldi so that when March 3rd comes around you can deconstruct a bunch of items to store high stats for re-calibration later. Update: Just heard from Thylander - while some god rolls in TU7 are still god rolls in TU8, apparently the stat library is broken up between level 30 and level 40, so anything you have god rolled now can't be applied to Level 40. So a 15% weapon damage roll now will still be the max in TU8, but you won't be able to apply it to a level 40 weapon. So yeah, I guess it's all just trash!
5 - Get credits/resources for re-calibration (the devs have said re-calibration will be more expensive than previously, since it's far stronger - not a bad idea to have a lot of credits when it drops)
6- Upgrade your specializations so that you are ready for TU8.

Last edited:

GazzaGSi

Oct 28, 2017
Derby, UK
Discussion with thylander here, basically everything in our current stash (if we plan on going to level 40) will be trash. Green and blues as we progress 30-40 with be better rolled than our current high ends at level 30.

twitter.com

MadMax on Twitter

“hello sir. sorry for asking this question, i don't know if someone else asked or not. first lets say level 30 and level 40 gear score is 515. question is, is there any difference between level 30 items and level 40 items !? @Thylander”

And the level 30 and level 40 recal banks are separate so as soon as you step on the road to 31 you won't be able to access the level 30 items at the recal station anymore.

Last edited:

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Is the raid less punishing/strict on having an extremely optimized build now? When it launched it sounded absolutely terrible and something I should not do because I didn't spend hours trying to minmax my build for a specific role that the game did not care about at all until then. I also didn't really want to be on voice comms with strangers, though I'd be willing to do it with Era clan people (if I'm even still in one, lol).

Normally I wouldn't care but the post above about most blueprints being locked behind the raid had me concerned.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Hmm. Is the raid less punishing/strict on having an extremely optimized build now? When it launched it sounded absolutely terrible and something I should not do because I didn't spend hours trying to minmax my build for a specific role that the game did not care about at all until then. I also didn't really want to be on voice comms with strangers, though I'd be willing to do it with Era clan people (if I'm even still in one, lol).

Normally I wouldn't care but the post above about most blueprints being locked behind the raid had me concerned.
Honestly, it's not bad. People have it figured out at this point. You can either do it slowly with 8 people with pretty good DPS, or you can do it really quickly if 4-6 have builds designed for the raid and they switch it up boss to boss. Basically:
1 - First boss is easy to take down with just decent DPS. It can be beat in like 30 seconds if you have people with Aces and Eights proc'd and timed sniper shots, though. But yeah, not hard.
2 - Second boss (gas room) is easy with decent DPS too. There's a way to time sniper shots to make the whole thing beatable really quickly without having to deal with the gas, but even without that, not particularly bad.
3 - Third boss (the two dogs) if you have two groups that actually look at the health bars, it's easy to just slowly and safely kill them. That said, if everyone switches to an SVD with good stability/Lucky Shot and Opportunistic, you can down them both before they ever leave the middle.
4 - Razorback is the hardest one. But honestly, all you need is:
4 players that focus on the random yellow enemies.
4 players that focus on generators.
It's helpful if a few proc Aces & Eights or have opportunistic going, but in general, just 2-4 players with the sniper specialization can down the weak points really quickly. Like the other bosses, there are ways to do it really quickly if you time the shots just right.

But yeah, honestly, the LFG groups tend to be built these days on 6 players who know the raid like the back of their hand, and they are just looking for two players. I used to just go into these saying that I had high DPS and could focus on Ads or Generators for Razorback, just tell me what you want, and crush the raid in 15 minutes. Now I have builds for each section so I can fill the gaps missing...but yeah, it's really not bad at all.

Oct 25, 2017
So i just got back into the game. starting from scratch, what are some tips and tricks to gearing up and getting into the flow of the game?

the last time i played was like 10 minutes into the game on release, is there a list of major changes i should seek out? like patch notes and the like?

im a total noob here.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I mean we are also getting a level increase for gear from 30-40 so i am pretty sure the current god rolls will be bad once you are lvl 40
Thylander just updated me on Twitter.

Apparently I was right that the % based attributes will still be god rolls. BUT, they are separating the stat library for re-calibration between Level 30 and Level 40. Which means that, while we may be in possession of god rolls right now, we won't be able to apply them to level 40 gear. So yeah, sadly you're right that it looks like most gear (anything that can't be upgraded like exotics) will be trash.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
So i just got back into the game. starting from scratch, what are some tips and tricks to gearing up and getting into the flow of the game?

the last time i played was like 10 minutes into the game on release, is there a list of major changes i should seek out? like patch notes and the like?

im a total noob here.
From Level 1-30, honestly, just focus on equipping gear that drops with a higher level (and try to find guns you most like). Once you hit World Tier 5, you can focus on trying to unlock all of your talents/actually getting a build together, but honestly, don't even bother. March 3rd's update will change everything, so your best bet is to just play through the game now without worrying and see how things shake out later.

For solo PVE, the Revive Hive is great, as is the chem burst heal or the drone that heals or deflects. Basically anything to keep you alive. The assault turret is good for taking aggro early. The rest of the skills start getting more useful when you can really exploit their damage once you have a more optimized build.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Thylander just updated me on Twitter.

Apparently I was right that the % based attributes will still be god rolls. BUT, they are separating the stat library for re-calibration between Level 30 and Level 40. Which means that, while we may be in possession of god rolls right now, we won't be able to apply them to level 40 gear. So yeah, sadly you're right that it looks like most gear (anything that can't be upgraded like exotics) will be trash.

So my takeaway is that if I haven't played since, say, last April, and I'm getting the expansion, I could probably just toss 90% of my inventory right now and not really lose out on anything?

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, so I'm wanting to buy this on PC as it's ridiculously cheap and I had fun with the first one, but I have a question, is cheating an issue at all on PC? Any issues I should be aware of?

i had a blast with the first game on xbox and played this at a friends and it just clicked again.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So my takeaway is that if I haven't played since, say, last April, and I'm getting the expansion, I could probably just toss 90% of my inventory right now and not really lose out on anything?
absolutely. it's what I did. I literally deleted everything except my current gear and have been dismantling every single item i am getting so i can get resources.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Here I am complaining the game is too easy, and this fucking Pentagon mission decides to slap me around continously. That damned drone thing at the end stun locks me every damned time and I cant do a thing about it.

Any tips? I've tried aiming at the rotors and its camera, but it doesnt seem to make a massive difference.

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a season pass for this year 1?

I saw it mentioned elsewhere the year 1 pass is on sale, but I thought all DLC aside from the new one coming out was free for this game, a little confused.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, over the past bunch of patches, there have been numerous changes, from overall weapon balance to enemy time to kill that have made nearly all of it very much solo-friendly. It used to be that there were only a couple of viable guns. Now, most are viable, with certain guns in each class able to eke out just a bit more DPS for the hardest content.

With even a non-optimized build, you should be able to complete all content outside of the Normal mode Raid and Heroic missions solo. Any control points, activities or missions up to Challenging are fairly steamroll-able as long as you have okay DPS or survivability. We're talking a build where the talents are unlocked and there's a direction to it, even if not with max attributes. Honestly, the only thing to watch out for is the suicide bombers and drones - they've upped explosive damage, so those guys can, no matter how tanky, still do damage to you.

That said, if you optimize a Seeker mine build or a couple of others you can search on Youtube, even Heroic missions can be solo'd.

So yeah, basically anything but the Raid is solo-friendly.

This is great news, although I would have preferred the alternative answer that I just got really good at the game.

I'm back in, looking forward to the gear changes and the new expeditions.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
Also looks like they've gone all out with the weather effects since i last picked it up. Sandstorms and rainstorms where you cant see shit.

Wolfe

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
Apologies if this has already been covered but I missed it, but I was wondering about that referral thing. Getting that hunter outfit would be cool (has a similar designed mask to the one I wore in D1 all the time) but I'm not even sure where to go to find info on it? Seen people posting referral links but I am having trouble finding anything about it on their website. I'm rank 30 so I would have to give my link to someone else but as I said I am having trouble figuring this out even if it's obvious stuff.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
So this game doesn't have any skill trees or skill customization or anything like that?

Where does build variety come into play? Just the weapons you use and gear stats?

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I played a ton of this when it came out but never really got into the endgame. Is it worth playing much endgame stuff now considering all the gear 2.0 and skill changes coming in a couple weeks?

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of smart changes that should've been in the base endgame tbh since they're pulled straight from TD1 (Global events, global directives from Underground -- why wasn't this here already?). Not sure I like Battle Pass-type progression dropping in both Siege and Division but, ideally, it means we keep getting map expansions and content without having to pay for a Y2 pass.

Downside is that I worry that them dropping the entire map in the initial expansion without a Y2 pass means that this is the last major content drop for a long time -- potentially the entire lifecycle of the game. Guess we'll have to see how it ends.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of smart changes that should've been in the base endgame tbh since they're pulled straight from TD1 (Global events, global directives from Underground -- why wasn't this here already?). Not sure I like Battle Pass-type progression dropping in both Siege and Division but, ideally, it means we keep getting map expansions and content without having to pay for a Y2 pass.

Downside is that I worry that them dropping the entire map in the initial expansion without a Y2 pass means that this is the last major content drop for a long time -- potentially the entire lifecycle of the game. Guess we'll have to see how it ends.

everytime i think of seasons and battle passes for an evolving RPG i get PTSD to how shit Destiny 2 has become.

Djredline

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Wondered why my mission completion was at 95% then noticed a side mission at the bottom.

Went to it and it opened the pentagon. No idea why I didn't see the little blue icon before.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
So this game doesn't have any skill trees or skill customization or anything like that?

Where does build variety come into play? Just the weapons you use and gear stats?

It does have skills in form of specific gadgets/tools and every one of these items have sub-categories. Additional, gear usually is divided into tank, support and dps categories. You can mix that stuff, but a set of items from the same category also comes with set bonuses.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
I'm still missing some of the new exotics that were introduced in the last episodes of the game. Should I wait until the expansion so they drop at a higher score, or will we be able to upgrade the score of current exotic drops?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm still missing some of the new exotics that were introduced in the last episodes of the game. Should I wait until the expansion so they drop at a higher score, or will we be able to upgrade the score of current exotic drops?
They only said they are "thinking about" being able to upgrade exotics at a later time after the expansion. You will have to regrind them.

Oct 27, 2017
Am I understanding this correctly?

People who don't buy the Expansion will be capped to level 30, while the people with Expansion will level up to 40, and there will be loot for those levels?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Am I understanding this correctly?

People who don't buy the Expansion will be capped to level 30, while the people with Expansion will level up to 40, and there will be loot for those levels?
Yes.
without the expansion you get a gearscore increase to 515 so people have something new to farm but all items and the characters are still at lvl 30.

With the expansion there is no more gearscore, instead you and the items you find go from lvl 30-40. So an endgame item will just be "lvl 40" and not "gearscore X".

tarantullama

Oct 27, 2017
Are there guns in this game with elemental effects like electricity? Asking because I picked up shock bullets last night and thought they were kind of a cool effect. It made me curious if the top tier of guns have effects like that.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes.
without the expansion you get a gearscore increase to 515 so people have something new to farm but all items and the characters are still at lvl 30.

With the expansion there is no more gearscore, instead you and the items you find go from lvl 30-40. So an endgame item will just be "lvl 40" and not "gearscore X".

That is fucking base-game owners and telling them that yUo dOnT nEeD tO bUy tHe eXpanSiOn

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
You cannot get the best items in the game without the expansion?

You will forever be at the disadvantage being either handicapped or unable to run events on the highest difficulty. Also, what about the Dark Zone, will you be able to carry level 40 items into it?
Every single piece of content that you have access to without the expansion has a lvl 30 version. Even the new raid that is coming out has a lvl 30 and a lvl 40 version. DZs are also split by levels which they always have been.

You will of course not have access to expansion exclusive loot, that would be silly.
However you can absolutely have lvl 30 GS 515 "god roll" equipment which will mean you are at the pinnacle of lvl 30 players.
You never have to interact with expansion owning players ever.

Oct 27, 2017
it's the same as it is right now: the only way to get into lower level content is to join a group with a lower level player.

So what would happen to the level 40 gear in the scenario where the group has 30 40 40 40 party, joining the level 30 activity?

This entire Expansion, level cap increase, exclusive loot is bullshit. At no point we had this in Division, all of the paid DLC was the side-activities without increasing any power levels. Everyone was a happy level 30 schmuck trying to collect classified gear and roll the best version of their guns. Everything was fair, consistent and logical.

The only reason to increase the levels is to have the fake-value in the Expansion. Why cannot it just be missions in new Zones... Perhaps the loot table is expanded with higher % to drop in Expansion missions, but at no point it should be exclusive to paid DLC.

Last edited: