• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Reading the announcement again from Ubisoft, I found their wording pretty interesting:
The Division was sold through Steam, and the sequel was previously listed on Valve's store as recently as this morning. Ubisoft says that "any pre-orders previously placed elsewhere will still be honored."

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/9/18174004/the-division-2-ubisoft-epic-game-store-launch

It seems that, after the pre-order period, the game might be sold only on Epic's Store and Uplay.

Sounds pretty shitty if it's the case because as of right now:
https://isthereanydeal.com/game/tomclancysdivisionii/info/

The game is sold for cheaper on 3rd party stores applying a 30% store cut.

Edit: If mods are reading, is it possible to change the thread title and add "The Division 2 on PC" and "after launch" ?

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
It does not only sound shitty but in reality it is absolutely shitty. Probably the most scummy behavior i've seen since... idk GFWL? I think this is the first time when we've seen a company aggressively trying to remove games from being sold on other stores under the illusion of 'partnerships' and 'competition'. Its pretty disgusting, bizarre and ridiculous to be honest.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That kind of sucks. Guess I better make sure to pick it up from GMG when I can.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The language is similar to that used by indie devs who've addressed their respective situations, so I don't think we're supposed to infer "elsewhere" refers to services beyond Steam and Origin given they just sell Uplay keys.

Last edited:

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
sweenyrqesj.jpg

OP
OP
GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The language is similar to that used by indie devs who've addressed their respective situations, so I don't think we're supposed to infer "elsewhere" refers to services beyond Steam and Origin given they just sell Uplay keys.

None of Steam and Origin offered preorders though.
From the wording it definitely sounds like after the preorder period, the game wont be available for purchase on GMG/Humble.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
None of Steam and Origin offered preorders though.
From the wording it definitely sounds like after the preorder period, the game wont be available for purchase on GMG/Humble.

Yeah, I know, but it'd be rather strange for Ubi to accept a deal where it can sell the game on Uplay but not Uplay keys. The rep the author of the article contacted for comment may not have been aware pre-orders weren't live outside of Uplay and authorised distributors of Uplay keys.

In any case, "previously" is the key word here as it implies the steps necessary to remove the game from relevant services have been taken, so we'll have our answer soon enough (if the various third-party listings survive the coming work week, then we can safely assume they're outside the purview of the deal with Epic).

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Bit odd since GMG was advertising the game like two days ago too

I think it's just gonna be uPlay keys like normal, Ubi has no reason to handicap themselves like that from their 100% juice

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This doesn't seem right. I'd be very surprised if Ubisoft signed a deal with epic that wouldn't allow them to sell cdkeys for their own game on their own service.

If that is the case, this would be the biggest problem I've had with Epic/The Epic Store by far.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see Green man gaming are saying it will be removed from green man gaming. It's so weird. This has to be epic doing right?

sheepysheep

Nov 19, 2018
It's so bad. I can't see why Ubisoft would do this? Do you think it's epic?

It's presumably both. It's favorable for Ubi since they will get better economics via Uplay or Epic, and Epic likely wants to drive as much traffic as possible with whatever they paid/offered to Ubisoft. Ubisoft is obviously more than happy to see this happen and are probably happy to see the anger directed towards Epic, even though they benefit just as much (arguably much more) than Epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.