• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
...or did I just miss the boat?

I picked D2 up on a whim on Friday and have dumped more than 18 hours into it already, which I havent done with a game in a very long time. IMO a lot of looter shooters get by on "meh" gameplay because of the draw of the loot and there being something to always be shooting for, but this game has it all. Everything about this is just so good:

-The graphics look fantastic and have some of the best atmospheric and lighting effects of any game this gen. The way lights bloom in the murky fog or the sun shining down between buildings at sunrise all look amazing. Every environment looks and feels drastically different depending on what time of day or what weather pattern is passing through when you visit.

-The sound....oh my the sound. Gunfire sounds like gunfire, which is something a lot of games get wrong; storms are a total treat for a surround sound system and I dont know how many times that Ive been saved from being able to hear a shotgun soldier rushing me from my flank.

-Gameplay is just fun as hell. They fixed the biggest problem Ive had with looter shooters: spongy enemies. Nothing makes your gunplay feel weaker then when guys just dont react at all to gunfire and take forever to put down. This game almost totally resolves that. Headshots drop guys fast and the enemies that you can qualify as being "spongy" are due to having tons of armor, which you can destroy and then drop them like almost any normal grunt. Enemies react to gunfire as well, they stumble, limp, retreat, etc. There is always a carrot to chase as well that gives you noticeable gains in the world and with your character. The game is always rewarding you with loot and base improvements that feel substantial.

-Level design team deserves recognition as well. Every environment looks like a reasonably realistic place that tells a story but also functions as amazing combat arenas. There is always a path to flank or reposition to get the drop on the enemy. The cover system works great and it feels very cinematic when you are in a squad and laying down suppressive fire while your team mates dart from cover to cover to flank. Division 2 does a better job at being a tactical shooter than a lot of other "tactial shooters" on the market today, its better than Wildlands by a country mile IMO.

If I had any gripes, it seems that the game could probably stand to throw more diverse combat situations at you or maybe have situations where there is some light puzzle solving just to break up the pace. But you could also make the argument that the stuck to what they knew was good, which is the combat and exploration.

Now, I go back to sitting at work and waiting to go home and play some more.

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game but the endgame is kind of whatever right now in terms of build diversity. High Ends are kind all over the place and Gear Sets/Exotic aren't that great now.

I do believe that Massive will have the all in order soon though and they are listening so that's good.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
I'm still lvl 25 and enjoying it so far, I play solo mostly and story missions with randoms.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I unlocked all the items in the recent event and quit. Endgame just isn't in a good place. But I'm looking forward to the raid and other Title Update 3 changes.

Last edited:

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting for the raid to arrive. I think I've only played maybe a few hours since a week ago because of the delay in the raid. PLus I don't have time to play 6 hours just to get that right piece of gear.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
People are scarred by Destiny and Anthem. The level of disappointment delivered by other games like Division has scared away potential buyers

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
New games are always coming out. It's incredibly rare for any game, no matter how big, to dominate these boards for more than a couple weeks post launch. Go to the OT, you'll find a lot of fans

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Division 2 (and Division 1) are good fun when you're just enjoying the story, doing missions, etc.

Like most games of this type, it falls flat when you reach "the end game"

Division 2 does help extend the game by introducing world tiers, and the Black Tusk after "beating the game"

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
It's problems are ones other games of its type wish they had. Its far better than part 1 at this stage of its release. It isnt perfect but it's a damn fine game and i can't wait for more content.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Anecdotally I think it's the cover system in general that turns people off as well.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
KingGothalion the streamer, was playing it for a good while and only plays looter shooters generally. He said the endgame wasn't there and that the game was not in a good place. He is a super positive streamer too like he gets made fun of for being so sunny lol. I don't know the specifics of anything though because I don't play it.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
Skills being broken at launch really hurt the game as somebody trying to play solo for the main story. Wasn't crazy about the endgame either. It's a pretty decent game, just didn't work out well for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's pretty fun but I'm having trouble getting into it the same way I got into the first game or the Destiny games. It doesn't help that matchmaking on PC seems to be dead whenever I play.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I think the base game is meaty enough that people aren't upset about reaching a poor endgame too quickly. My buddy and I are around 25 hours and haven't even finished the story or touched the Dark Zone. Compare that to the campaigns of Destiny and Anthem and you feel like you got your money's worth. That and it is actually a lot of fun to play through.

There's nothing overwhelmingly negative about it so there aren't front page news stories, but the game is just good enough that people will play it and move on and be satisfied.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me and my friends didn't think the first one was anything special so none of us got the second one.

KymTheSpud

Oct 28, 2017
Cumbria, UK
I'm about 170hours in and still loving the game, hit GS501 but am still compelled to play nearly every single day.

The shooting/cover mechanics are spot on, i might even go so far as to say they are better that Gears of War. The enemy AI is top notch for the most part ( maybe a few too many rusher enemies ) and yeah the sound design is incredible.

These mechanics plus the population of the open world keeps pulling me back, every session seems to offer something slightly different but I always seem to be rewarded for playing.

Best looter shooter in my opinion, yes skills and gear sets need some work but when everything clicks it delivers in spades.

Oct 25, 2017
The game's setting does not look visually appealing to me. I liked the first one's setting more. Which is just all kinds of funny, since this game seems to be fixing a lot of the issues I had with the first one which led me to skip that one as well.

Oh well, maybe they'll nail both aspects for me with Division 3.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I enjoyed myself when leveling up but after hitting the end game I quickly burnt out. Still I feel like I got my moneys worth.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm closing in on 100 hours and I'm having a hard time putting it down. The gameplay loop is immensely satisfying and Massive have truly hit the sweet spot in terms of difficulty. I'm playing through missions on Challenging as a build toward a 500 GS. I plan on tackling Heroic soon after.

Skills do need work considering everyone I play with is using Hive + chem launcher or Hive + turret since all the other skills are incredibly ineffective. Gear sets are sort of meh as well. Most lean into skill buffs but downgrade health and armor which are far more important than a higher skill score. Right now there is no incentive to create any other builds other than a tanky DPSer.

Still my GOTY though.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
I burned myself out after picking up the event cosmetic items and completing the new black tusk stuff. Haven't really played anything other than Rocket League lately, just not feeling games at the moment.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I just stopped giving a damn about these kind of " shlooter" games tbh

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I loved it until I hit max level and had to do the item level thing to increase world level or whatever. Haven't touched it in a few weeks because of that. It's a good game though.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I think about getting it, I remember all the collectibles and icons on the map and my mind goes numb. TD1 was fun when I was playing it, but I can't get excited about the sequel. The betas kind of confirmed my suspicions. I'll probably rent it from Gamefly over the summer.

The Destiny 2 Annual Pass content keeps pulling me back, so two GaaS games is exhausting.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I'm just waiting for the raid to arrive. I think I've only played maybe a few hours since a week ago because of the delay in the raid. PLus I don't have time to play 6 hours just to get that right piece of gear.
Me too. Waiting on the raid. I'm WT5 and kind of done with the content right now.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Because we're too busy playing it ;)

It's pretty great. wish I had more time to play it, still slumming it out in WT1

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I got to the end of the game (before Tidal Basin) and was completely worn out of the gameplay, world and managing inventory. I haven't put the disc back in since that point and I don't think I ever will. I did put 40 hours in and felt like I got my money's worth out of that portion of the game though. It just wasn't for me in the long run, I hate that feeling of constantly chasing something with no end in sight.

Hawk SE

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Colorado
Aside from reviewing it, I too was burned by Division 1 and didn't feel that it could be as good as they said would be. But they absolutely held up to their promises, and learned a lot of lessons with that first game to make Division 2 as solid as it is.

Right now I'm not playing it due to long load times, performance issues, and crashes. Once they button that up and do the next title update, I'll be back in.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying it's not spongey, but I disagree. I've never played the original so maybe it improves on that, but weapons still feel like they have no impact. Only my sniper takes out red enemies in a single headshot, and only if I'm playing alone. I like the flanking enemies and dynamic gameplay, but man the guns just don't feel good at all to me.

Destiny 2 nailed this aspect a lot better.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
You did kind of miss the boat, in a way. Immediately after release, people came over to The Division 2 in droves from Anthem, and the difference was night and day. It's over a month later, and you've just hit the first post-launch lull. People are heavily into the endgame now and finding it somewhat lackluster compared to their experiences in Division 1. Even for people new to the franchise, like me, there's not a ton to keep you going; playing Invaded versions of missions over and over gets dull after a bit. Right now I'm mostly just chasing parts for the exotic Nemesis sniper, and maybe after that doing the hunters, but I'm in no particular rush and the Nemesis is time-gated anyways.

When the raid comes out next month, I expect some people to come back.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I got to WT4 and got bored. The gameplay just isn't interesting enough to carry a game that wants that much time from you.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
It seems like a well put together game but I HATE cover based shooters. It's just the most inane boring thing to me. I love Borderlands it's fast and kinetic and loot is flashy colorful and fun. Shrug that's just me but really it's the cover based focus I despise

irishonion

Oct 25, 2017
Believe it or not, there is such a thing as too much loot.

RNG on top of RNG, sprinkled in with even more rng is not fun.

edit( I love the game waiting on raid, got over 100 hours already. just need to wait out a few patches)

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm still enjoying it. I've put it down until the raid comes out though. I'll probably keep it around and poke my head in when the year 1 updates start landing.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're kinda late. We went through the honeymoon phase awhile back and are now complaining that the endgame isn't good and it isn't. Gear sets are useless, multiple updates are coming to change our stats so builds are gonna change again. Harder difficulties are not worth the time and effort because the rewards suck too. Enemies are really bullet spongey on the harder difficulties, like really spongey, while you take a ton more damage and there are no viable tank builds. Skills are kind of a mess too.

The game got a TON of love at launch and it was deserved.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
It has been on my backburner since Apex Legends and then Sekiro came out. I am back on it, just hit level 27 and really enjoying it.

Hoping to be able to easily find groups for the mid high level strongholds and dark zones soon.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Was playing quite a bit, but after I realized that damage rolls on exotics are not all the same, it kill my enthusiasm. Felt pretty shitty to grind out the parts for the exotic sniper, and then mine craft with 20% lower DPS than my friend's Nemesis.

WTF is up random damage rolls? Random perks are cool, but random damage rolls with no way to max your DPS roll like in original, sucks.