• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how quickly people forget that when it started out Steam was utter garbage, and remained that way for a long time.
Competitors like Origin and uPlay improved a hell of a lot faster than Steam did.
Lol this argument never fails to make me laugh."Hey guys remember when Steam use to be utter trash more than a decade ago?" I dont expect new launchers to have all the features that Steam has, but releasing bare bones crap in this day and age isn't gonna cut it either.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Another title to skip then, I'll never support this shit practice on PC.

That's a ridiculous comparison, Epic has a billions of dollars and years of experience and they had a literal Steamspy and all they could come up with is a bare bones launcher? Do I expect a new car company to release a copy of a Ford model T to compete with a BMW X5, because they're new and learning?
Not going to bother with yet you got users posting troubleshooting threads about Ashen on it's Steam page, because Epic doesn't want forums......

Moneyhatted exclusives and walled gardens are a shit practice, it's normal for closed ecosystems like consoles, but don't belong on PC, an open source platform, a practice ironically Epic's Tim Sweeney was attacking a couple of years ago when he blasted Microsoft for their UWP approach to replace Win32, and they he just comes off hypocritical.

In any case, if more Ubisoft titles follow, I'll be skipping, guess Odeyssey was my last Ubisoft purchase.
And yet, Steam itself exists because of this practice.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
One major data leak since Steam's release in 2003 is a pretty good track record imo.

I'm well aware, I've been playing The Division 1 since day one.

My point is over 2 million people bought the game from Steam and the very friendly regional pricing of Steam played a huge part in this. Also, all of the other points in this thread like refunds, etc appeal greatly to customers.

Fortunately, Uplay game keys can be bought (for a cheaper price) on GMG but I'm not sure if GMG has regional/international pricing.
Regional pricing is fantastic and helps a LOT. But in Ubi's case I doubt it played a huge part because outside of a few versions (Chinese, Russian, Argentinian and maybe 1-2 more) Ubi games are actually cheaper for people from other regions on 3rd party resellers and Uplay than they are on steam. The rest of the world that usually benefits from regional pricing that do not have the same benefit of steam version being priced lower atleast when it comes to Ubi games because Ubi doesn't do massively cheaper prices like most other publishers (with a few exceptions that I mentioned above).

For example, the Indian store which is one of the cheapest stores out there and on an average the 2nd cheapest store (though not the 2nd cheapest for ubi games, more like 5th cheapest) sells $60 uplay games for $42-48 that's around the same ballpark that you pay if you get it on 3rd party resellers or uplay discount, and for other stores more expensive than the Indian store (which makes up for the majority of regional stores) the steam store ends up being the more expensive option. And just on an additional note The Division 2 is $42 on Indian Epic store which is how much AC Odyssey cost at launch on steam. Granted the situation is reverse in Argentina where now they have to pay more than $60 but that could be a mistake.

Last edited:

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
One major data leak since Steam's release in 2003 is a pretty good track record imo.

I'm well aware, I've been playing The Division 1 since day one.

My point is over 2 million people bought the game from Steam and the very friendly regional pricing of Steam played a huge part in this. Also, all of the other points in this thread like refunds, etc appeal greatly to customers.

Fortunately, Uplay game keys can be bought (for a cheaper price) on GMG but I'm not sure if GMG has regional/international pricing.

GMG has no regional pricing.
For emerging markets, their discounted price is very often much more expensive still.

It's amazing how quickly people forget that when it started out Steam was utter garbage, and remained that way for a long time.
Competitors like Origin and uPlay improved a hell of a lot faster than Steam did.

I don't know about uPlay, but Origin definitely hasn't improved near as much as Steam has.
It's a shitty launcher with very few features. The only reason to have that is for free games once in a while and to play EA games.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And yet, Steam itself exists because of this practice.
I don't think people gave Epic too hard a time for having a launcher for Fortnite. It was when it started buying platform exclusivity for high profile third party games that it raised eyebrows. Valve got a hard time for even attaching their own titles to their platform. valve came out the other side of it and has earned the respect and appreciation it has. Let EGS claw its way to that same respect from its audience. It deserves no respect from its own customers for simply attempting to upset the apple cart. Its free games program, particularly with Subnautica, is a great first step. It'll be interesting to see where it goes from there.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to bother with yet you got users posting troubleshooting threads about Ashen on it's Steam page, because Epic doesn't want forums......

Moneyhatted exclusives and walled gardens are a shit practice, it's normal for closed ecosystems like consoles, but don't belong on PC, an open source platform, a practice ironically Epic's Tim Sweeney was attacking a couple of years ago when he blasted Microsoft for their UWP approach to replace Win32, and they he just comes off hypocritical.

In any case, if more Ubisoft titles follow, I'll be skipping, guess Odeyssey was my last Ubisoft purchase.

That's the most ridiculous hot take I've ever read on this topic by far. Steam not only allows devs to generate their own Steam keys, they allow them to sell Steam keys on their own website with zero revenue to Steam and allow full non DRM releases.

But to debunk your ridiculous claim even further, nowhere has Steam ever bought a games release rights, any game on Steam can be released on Origin or Uplay.
Steam literally exists because of them forcing it upon users kicking and screaming, against virtually the exact same arguments you now make. They don't 'moneyhat' third parties because they don't have to - they forced their way into a near monopoly on the market, why would they moneyhat? Eventually though as the big publishers move away, they will start doing it as well. Or start developing games again, take your pick.

You can always buy a Ubisoft game on their own platform, same as you can with Valve's. They're under no obligation to use a storefront just because you 'like' that one. The defense force that you represent acts like you're trying to keep PC gaming open, but you're not, you're trying to keep it closed through effective monopoly.
I don't think people gave Epic too hard a time for having a launcher for Fortnite. It was when it started buying platform exclusivity for high profile third party games that it raised eyebrows. Valve got a hard time for even attaching their own titles to their platform. valve came out the other side of it and has earned the respect and appreciation it has. Let EGS claw its way to that same respect from its audience. It deserves no respect from its own customers for simply attempting to upset the apple cart. Its free games program, particularly with Subnautica, is a great first step. It'll be interesting to see where it goes from there.
It's a storefront, neither of them deserve 'respect' from anything lol
And you say 'let them claw their way up' - ok? They are. That's waht this is. Steam isn't going anywhere any time soon. If you want Steam to remain competitive, let valve know "hey, can you compete so I don't have to use other storefronts? thanks"

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017
Something tells me Valve has already flinched. First it was the change to Valves cut for games that sell in the millions. And just the other day there was a thread talking about a bunch of former Valve devs returning. Perhaps Valve should have flinched years ago when EA bailed?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/va...velopers-to-earn-bigger-percentage-cut.84334/

https://www.resetera.com/threads/er...-co-wrote-hl2-eps-1-2-is-back-at-valve.91228/

I mean of course they knew, so they got in ahead of their competition. People talk. It's actually a credit to game journalists who know about all of this stuff and don't release information.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Just link all your launchers guys. From Steam to Epic Game Store to Uplay. What a wonderful world we live in, so many options!

In all seriousness, this situation is crappy but what are the chances that this puts the Epic Game Store in a position (later in the future) where it can actually be a competitive storefront? Is it worth the sacrifices of crappy game exclusivity for later in life compeptiveness?

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Regional pricing is fantastic and helps a LOT. But in Ubi's case I doubt it played a huge part because outside of a few versions (Chinese, Russian, Argentinian and maybe 1-2 more) Ubi games are actually cheaper for people from other regions on 3rd party resellers and Uplay than they are on steam. The rest of the world that usually benefits from regional pricing that do not have the same benefit of steam version being priced lower atleast when it comes to Ubi games because Ubi doesn't do massively cheaper prices like most other publishers (with a few exceptions that I mentioned above).

For example, the Indian store which is one of the cheapest stores out there and on an average the 2nd cheapest store (though not the 2nd cheapest for ubi games, more like 5th cheapest) sells $60 uplay games for $42-48 that's around the same ballpark that you pay if you get it on 3rd party resellers or uplay discount, and for other stores more expensive than the Indian store (which makes up for the majority of regional stores) the steam store ends up being the more expensive option. And just on an additional note The Division 2 is $42 on Indian Epic store which is how much AC Odyssey cost at launch on steam. Granted the situation is reverse in Argentina where now they have to pay more than $60 but that could be a mistake.
My point is Ubisoft (very likely through initial monetary incentive from Tencent and sales projections) is gambling that the loss of the millions of potential sales on Steam by making the Epic Store the only alternative is worth the risk.

I'm super interested to see how the sales hold up.

Before this news, I predicted TD2 selling slightly less than TD1 but now I think it will sell a few million less.

Only time will tell.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
When are we expecting The Division 2 trailers?

The game releases shortly after Anthem, and they haven't shown anything.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Steam literally exists because of them forcing it upon users kicking and screaming, against virtually the exact same arguments you now make. They don't 'moneyhat' third parties because they don't have to - they forced their way into a near monopoly on the market, why would they moneyhat? Eventually though as the big publishers move away, they will start doing it as well. Or start developing games again, take your pick.

You can always buy a Ubisoft game on their own platform, same as you can with Valve's. They're under no obligation to use a storefront just because you 'like' that one. The defense force that you represent acts like you're trying to keep PC gaming open, but you're not, you're trying to keep it closed through effective monopoly.

It's a storefront, neither of them deserve 'respect' from anything lol
And you say 'let them claw their way up' - ok? They are. That's waht this is. Steam isn't going anywhere any time soon. If you want Steam to remain competitive, let valve know "hey, can you compete so I don't have to use other storefronts? thanks"

You seem to have no idea what you're talking about.

I feel like this arguments always needs to be repeated in every Steam/Epic thread :/
Steam is forcing nobody to buy anything from their store and has never paid money so a publisher don't release their games on competing storefront.
And they definitely didn't force anyone to give them monopoly.
The reason Steam becomes so big is because:
1. They are the only one who didn't abandon PC market due to piracy
2. They've worked hard to establish a platform that users like and where developer could thrive amidst piracy
The monopoly argument is also silly, because there are dozens of launcher in PC.
People choose to buy from Steam because they offer better features, affordable pricing to emerging markets and actually good customer service.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

No they did not, I don't moan against Fortnite being exclusive to Epic launcher that's their own game on their own launcher, same with Half Life to Valve and Steam, but nowhere has Valve since the introduction of Steam has ever forced a single third party game to be exclusive to Steam, not ever.

Valve didn't force itself, they played their cards right and succeeded to dominate a market by offering services that appealed to a lot of users back then, services that even managed to curb PC piracy, forcing themselves is what Epic is doing by instead of years of growth and success as Steam did, they're simply buying up games and developers.

And I see you're part of Valve makes no games cliche group, ugh......

I'm under no obligation to buy games on Uplay either, Steam is my preferred store, if they want to appeal to Steam customers bring it here, no? Then though.

And that last line is outrageous, considering I don't mind the game being available everyhwere, Epic, Uplay, Origin and Steam. You're the one advocating restricting a game release. It's like people expect Valve to be ashamed of their success and donate some of their userbase.....

The ValVe MaKes No GaMes group is ridiculous.

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL

I feel like this arguments always needs to be repeated in every Steam/Epic thread :/
Steam is forcing nobody to buy anything from their store and has never paid money so a publisher don't release their games on competing storefront.
2. They've worked hard to establish a platform that users like and where developer could thrive amidst piracy
The monopoly argument is also silly, because there are dozens of launcher in PC.
People choose to buy from Steam because they offer better features, affordable pricing to emerging markets and actually good customer service.

Ugh. Steam was required for a bunch of retail games back then. It was not optional. It's not hard to find thread of people complaining about having to install steam to play physical copies of games from just a few years back. You guys are making me feel really old, seriously.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
My point is Ubisoft (very likely through initial monetary incentive from Tencent and sales projections) is gambling that the loss of the millions of potential sales on Steam by making the Epic Store the only alternative is worth the risk.

I'm super interested to see how the sales hold up.

Before this news, I predicted TD2 selling slightly less than TD1 but now I think it will sell a few million less.

Only time will tell.
I have a theory (which I pulled out of my ass ofc but bear with me for a sec). Ubi has said they are doing this only for "select titles" not all as New Dawn is still available on Steam. The Division is a GaaS game which is promised to have big free content drops (basically top level Ubi support that we expect) supported via mtx. Now I'm pretty sure steam makes the same cut on mtx and if you buy an Ubi game on steam the payment HAS to be processed through steam as the ingame uplay store redirects to steam payments, the publisher has no option to process the mtx through uplay even if they or the consumer wants to if the game is a steam copy. On the other hand if you have the uplay version of the game the payment is processed on uplay itself with you being given the option to process it through one of the 5-6 payment methods (cc bill/mastercard etc). Buying mtx through uplay basically removes one step and one middleman from the payment process.

Now Epic is taking a lower cut and it's expected that this will hold for mtx as well leading to higher margins in those mtx. But what IF Epic actually allows Ubi to process ingame payments for the EGS purchased version via uplay itself? (as a return of "goodwill" for being the 3rd party exclusive platform for one of 2019's biggest game) Then Ubi will get 100% of the cut for a game that relies on mtx revenue to support itself. If that is somehow the case then it could mean that the "select titles" Ubi referred to may be all their future GaaS titles with long term support planned for free. This way even if they lose sales they make a lot more revenue due to far higher margins on the bulk of their revenue stream for these games i.e. mtx.

Wild theory I know but I find it interesting because it's such an unknown factor, we know for sure steam doesn't allow Ubi to process payment on anything else other than steam, but we don't know if Epic can allow that because no other publisher has been in this situation before due to Ubi's position in that they have their own platform which is mandatory and integrated in all of their games.

Last edited:

gspec

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Steam was required for a bunch of retail games back then. It was not optional. It's not hard to find thread of people complaining about having to install steam to play physical copies of games from just a few years back. You guys are making me feel really old, seriously.
That was the publishers\developers who required it not valve.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Steamworks was optional.
Again using SteamWorks made Steam mandatory and devs used SteamWorks to integrate Steam's features into their games. You may see it as optional (no one had to use it) but it did speed up development of those games.

Steamworks games used to be very very common back in 2008-2012 (I don't see as many of them now, mostly from Japanese publishers)

Nov 8, 2017
Era: Monopoly is bad!
Also Era: We don't buy games that are not on Steam!

Seriously, monopoly IS bad. I'm not saying that other platforms are better than steam (they're not.), but boycotting a game due to the platform it is released on has no benefit to gamers. Support a game if it is a good game, it should be as simple as that.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Again using SteamWorks made Steam mandatory and devs used SteamWorks to integrate Steam's features into their games. You may see it as optional (no one had to use it) but it did speed up development of those games.

Steamworks games used to be very very common back in 2008-2012 (I don't see as many of them now, mostly from Japanese publishers)

Not really. Ubisoft used parts of Steamworks for AC: Origins, Odyssey and The Crew 2 for instance, and the only place where you can buy those games on Steam is Steam itself. So no, games that use Steamworks aren't forced to be on Steam, since they can work differently on other launchers. I believe there are some games that use Steamworks features on Steam and are also on GOG too.

Jimrpg

Oct 26, 2017

Isn't it as simple as publishers not wanting to pay the 30% cut to Steam?

While the publisher can make steam keys at no cost provided the RRP is maintained is missing the point. Steam did that to increase the userbase meaning more people buy from their store since people have to use it to launch their game. People always the mention first without mentioning the second. Why would Ubisoft and other publishers want to drive traffic to Steam and reduce your own site's launcher? If you weren't able to make a launcher, or get visibility for your launcher and need Steam's help to generate sales sure, but most publishers are starting to feel like there's many ways to market the game, and it doesn't have to be on Steam itself. It wouldn't make any sense from a publishers perspective.

I just see all of this as a big middle finger to Steam to get them to lower their cut.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Ubisoft used parts of Steamworks for AC: Origins, Odyssey and The Crew 2 for instance, and the only place where you can buy those games on Steam is Steam itself. So no, games that use Steamworks aren't forced to be on Steam, since they can work differently on other launchers. I believe there are some games that use Steamworks features on Steam and are also on GOG too.
Yes, those features are removed. Just like the Games for Windows vs Steam versions of games way back then.

Since then and since Ubisoft has had its own launcher it has built its games with Steam and others in mind. That still doesn't change what I said, a SteamWorks game forces steam on the enduser, even boxed copies (like Skyrim or Modern Warfare 3 back in 2011 when I purchased them).

Kappakerby

Nov 5, 2017
That's just never gonna happen. They don't want to undercut retail or other platforms and will keep the profits by continuing to price their games at 60.

Keeping games at 60 IS keeping prices down. I think a lot of industry insiders are surprised that the industry hasn't upped the price yet.

It is part of the reason loot boxes have taken the place of increasing base game prices.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I'm glad I can just buy this (and any other game) on the Xbox store and not have to think about launchers anymore.

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never understand the problem with just clicking on another launcher. Good get for Epic

Kappakerby

Nov 5, 2017
Looking at the storefronts where the publishers get 100% of the sale, that "long run" is nothing more than wishful thinking.

AAA publishers aren't doing this so they can get less money. They are doing this because they want more if not all of the money. Trickle down economics is never gonna be a thing in any industry in the world.

If you look at Ubi's store they have deeper sales than other outlets and they have sales more often. I've seen Seige and Division content on sale constantly there at huge markdowns. These sales are more often then the games go on sale on Steam plus the cuts are usually deeper.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
That still doesn't change what I said, a SteamWorks game forces steam on the enduser, even boxed copies (like Skyrim or Modern Warfare 3 back in 2011 when I purchased them).
I think the point that was trying to be made is that it's the publishers/developers that are choosing to use those features rather than it being forced on them (and in turn, you) by Valve specifically, and that any complaints should be directed to said publishers/developers rather than Valve.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Only Steam Works require Steam installation and that depends on the publisher, not Valve

Name other storefront that exist from back then?
PC gaming prior to Steam was extremely fragmented with a lot of publishers selling at their own website or sell through retail.

Isn't it as simple as publishers not wanting to pay the 30% cut to Steam?

While the publisher can make steam keys at no cost provided the RRP is maintained is missing the point. Steam did that to increase the userbase meaning more people buy from their store since people have to use it to launch their game. People always the mention first without mentioning the second. Why would Ubisoft and other publishers want to drive traffic to Steam and reduce your own site's launcher? If you weren't able to make a launcher, or get visibility for your launcher and need Steam's help to generate sales sure, but most publishers are starting to feel like there's many ways to market the game, and it doesn't have to be on Steam itself. It wouldn't make any sense from a publishers perspective.

I just see all of this as a big middle finger to Steam to get them to lower their cut.

I don't fault publisher for going with Epic since they offer better cut.
What I'm having issue is this bullshit monopoly argument.
For start, people need to read what monopoly is before spewing nonsense.

Whether it's the "right decision" in the long term we can only wait and see.
As a customer, I value what Valve offers, especially the regional pricing, refund policy and the controller support.
Without that, I doubt I would've bought as many games as I have.
Steam community and forum also give assurance that even if the game is released broken, there will always be community to fix, even if the publisher doesn't want to allocate budget to it.

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned - Inflammatory Driveby
A lot of parents need to pick up their baby's from this thread, it's getting late.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never understand the problem with just clicking on another launcher. Good get for Epic
Steam has soooooo many features other launchers are lacking. Want a refund? Epic says no. Mod support? No. Community hub? No. Marketplace? No. Trading cards? No. Regional pricing? No. Console mode/ big picture? No. Controller support? No....
Do you see the problem now?

Pabz

Oct 25, 2017
Steam has soooooo many features other launchers are lacking. Want a refund? Epic says no. Mod support? No. Community hub? No. Marketplace? No. Trading cards? No. Regional pricing? No. Console mode/ big picture? No. Controller support? No....
Do you see the problem now?
Mod support for an always online game? Community Hub and Trading cards, seriously?

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It won't make any difference. We all know the game will need to launch through Uplay anyway, so what difference is it where you pre-pre-launch it through Steam or Epic? This is why I've bought their recent games directly through Uplay instead of wasting CPU cycles on another launcher that the games won't even use.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I think the point that was trying to be made is that it's the publishers/developers that are choosing to use those features rather than it being forced on them (and in turn, you) by Valve specifically, and that any complaints should be directed to said publishers/developers rather than Valve.
As a consumer I couldn't care less. Valve used its toolset to bring people to its plateforme and I find it kind of amusingf that Epic is villified for having exclusives while at the same time praising Steam (and Valve) for its past and current behaviors (because I really doubt major pubs started using Steamworks without any kind of incentives)

Name other storefront that exist from back then?

You moved the goalposts. PC gaming was alive and kicking before, during Steam's formative years and After Steam established a defacto monopoly

The most played PC games aren't even on Steam and have been around for almost as as Steam itself for some of them.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it'd be really neat if Valve offered the 50 million revenue split to all developers

I don't really see myself using the EGS in the near future for games I can get at the same price on Steam.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I have a theory (which I pulled out of my ass ofc but bear with me for a sec). Ubi has said they are doing this only for "select titles" not all as New Dawn is still available on Steam. The Division is a GaaS game which is promised to have big free content drops (basically top level Ubi support that we expect) supported via mtx. Now I'm pretty sure steam makes the same cut on mtx and if you buy an Ubi game on steam the payment HAS to be processed through steam as the ingame uplay store redirects to steam payments, the publisher has no option to process the mtx through uplay even if they or the consumer wants to if the game is a steam copy. On the other hand if you have the uplay version of the game the payment is processed on uplay itself with you being given the option to process it through one of the 5-6 payment methods (cc bill/mastercard etc). Buying mtx through uplay basically removes one step and one middleman from the payment process.

Now Epic is taking a lower cut and it's expected that this will hold for mtx as well leading to higher margins in those mtx. But what IF Epic actually allows Ubi to process ingame payments for the EGS purchased version via uplay itself? (as a return of "goodwill" for being the 3rd party exclusive platform for one of 2019's biggest game) Then Ubi will get 100% of the cut for a game that relies on mtx revenue to support itself. If that is somehow the case then it could mean that the "select titles" Ubi referred to may be all there future GaaS titles with long term support planned for free. This way even if they lose sales they make a lot more revenue due to far higher margins on the bulk of their revenue stream for these games i.e. mtx.

Wild theory I know but I find it interesting because it's such an unknown factor, we know for sure steam doesn't allow Ubi to process payment on anything else other than steam, but we don't know if Epic can allow that because no other publisher has been in this situation before due to Ubi's position in that they have their own platform which is mandatory and integrated in all of their games.
Interesting theory.

Regardless, we'll see if this is worth ignoring the Steam userbase.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting theory.

Regardless, we'll see if this is worth ignoring the Steam userbase.
Worked just fine for Activision (BO4) and EA (Origin). Ubisoft has already established UPlay among people playing its games. Buying the game on Uplay instead of Steam won'T make a difference for people invested in Ubisoft's gaming philosophy

I wouldn'T be surprised if most of the people coming in and saying "Welp no buy then" had no intention of buying the game *anyway*

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is self-fulfilling prophecy for Ubisoft as fragmentation and abandoning your fanbase on it's largest platform will lead to an uptick in piracy.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Wasn't going to get the game regardless. But I refuse to buy any game from the Epic store because it just gives them more money, which in turns supports them in pulling more of this shit.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't going to get the game regardless. But I refuse to buy any game from the Epic store because it just gives them more money, which in turns supports them in pulling more of this shit.
Nothing prevents you from buying it on the Uplay store.

This is self-fulfilling prophecy for Ubisoft as fragmentation and abandoning your fanbase on it's largest platform will lead to an uptick in piracy.
Piracy of.. GaaS games?

Wat?