• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
They don't subsidize and pay to market the hardware to get them in consumer homes.

...and when it becomes easy for 3rd party devs to push launchers onto other home devices, you'll see the save thing happen to consoles.
I see you moving goal posts and running away from your argument.

First it was valves fault for the cut.

Now consoles have the excuse of hardware.

What's your next goalpost?

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm totally down for Steam to lose some Steam, competition is good and I feel Valve was getting pretty complacent. Perhaps Valve needs some EXCLUSIVE titles of their own... to better... their... platform...?

I'd rather they actually make their platform better.. rather than invest in things that don't make their platform better - like exclusives.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
The punchline of all this is that Ubisoft has required Epic Store purchases to launch the game through Uplay, which means fundamentally the only real difference this announcement makes is that game won't be available on Steam because Fuck You.

Does beg the question as to why Ubisoft is selling codes for the game on stores that we know take substantially more than 12% (e.g. Humble Store, which takes 25%).

Hell, Ubisoft has their own store. If they were concerned about their own cut, why are they giving Epic 12% when they can make it exclusive to Uplay and collect all of the money. This claim that Ubisoft wants a lower cut doesn't make sense, considering they could quite easily pay no cut.
I've covered this already in another post; Ubisoft is savvy enough to understand the importance of reaching a wider market than what their current platform supports. The question for them is which external platform is suitable to their needs. Overall they clearly expect Epic's to deliver, moneyhat or no. My semi-educated guess here is that Epic has shown that they have a very profitable userbase, meaning their users are more valuable in dollars than your average Steam user.

Also, I don't know what the DLC dealio is for uPlay games on Steam, but if Steam is taking a cut of all DLC sales too, then that gives Ubisoft an even stronger case for moving to Epic, as it'll increase the LTV for their titles significantly. If true, this would also detract from the idea that it's the moneyhat that'll make up for lost sales, because this won't cover the overall hit in LTV from DLC/MTX in the long term.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
perspectivesv6e5w.png

At least match the most basic features Steam introduced literally a decade ago when you launch your platform.
People act like this is some impossible challenge, which is frankly laughable when we are talking about a company like Epic. It's ridiculous.

I don't really care but the Steam defenders need to admit to the shovelware problem on Steam is large issue for smaller developers who want their games to not be hidden with all the trash.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
So... what makes you believe that those features won't be part of the launcher(s) at some point in time? Steam was the biggest piece of CRAP back in 2004, as HL2 released. And it was still CRAP years later. They came very far with their software now, but they also took their time.
If this was 2003, I could accept it. But we are in 2019, and Epic is receiving billions of dollars from Fortnite and UE4 royalties. No excuse to release a barebone product now.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
Perhaps Valve needs some EXCLUSIVE titles of their own... to better... their... platform...?
But exclusive titles don't make a platform better, except for list wars in platform warrior arguments.
How do I get a better experience because someone paid to keep the game I'm playing off other platforms?
Customer-facing features actually do make my gaming experience on a platform better. Maybe the so-called competitors should invest in some.

Wait, maybe you are joking. I hope you are but it's hard to tell in these threads.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally down for Steam to lose some Steam, competition is good and I feel Valve was getting pretty complacent. Perhaps Valve needs some EXCLUSIVE titles of their own... to better... their... platform...?

Why would be as PC consumers, want to enter on a exclusivity war between storefronts?

Exclusivities don't end on better products for the consumer, just ends on more segmentation and more exclusivities. Which is proved that Epic is not even trying to match the feature set of Steam at this point and is just throwing moneyhats to the table.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
So... what makes you believe that those features won't be part of the launcher(s) at some point in time? Steam was the biggest piece of CRAP back in 2004, as HL2 released. And it was still CRAP years later. They came very far with their software now, but they also took their time.

Apart from the historical precedent of other launchers, i have no reason to give them the benefit of a doubt that they might improve some day.

They are selling games now and as such also have to offer the same service now.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't going to buy it. But if ubisoft wants to remove their games from my main platform it means I am very much much much more unlikely to buy their titles in the future unless it's a game I have been highly anticipating.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care but the Steam defenders need to admit to the shovelware problem on Steam is large issue for smaller developers who want their games to not be hidden with all the trash.

Do you have data that proves that ?
I'll tell you what: If your game is lost beyond "trash", maybe that's because it's part of it ?
The thing is, good games are hidden behind better games.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Official Staff Communication
This topic is getting a bit too heated - let's try to dial things back a bit. Attacking another poster because of their preferences or opinions regarding storefronts is unacceptable. Discuss the topic or don't - but stop accusing each other of being shills or fanboys or anything of the sort.

But Bronson, how else are we to discuss things? By being civil? On the internet? In 2019? Pff. (/s)

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Really curious to see how the Epic store looks a year from now. Will they start adding other features as their playerbase grows? (probably)

Competition is always exciting.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how this benefits Ubi at all. Even with the larger cut, it's not like they're gonna sell nearly as many copies

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

So which games don't deserve to be on Steam.

And which devs will get tossed off?
9/10 the same devs complaining about the 'trash' will be the first devs throughly off for having 'trash' games.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that we can get this many pages of people mad about it, when it requires you to launch Uplay either way and buying ubi games on Steam has always been the inferior experience.

Oct 25, 2017
It would be pretty awesome if Epic forced Valve to clean up their forums by coming up with a better alternative but....they didn't.
People like to talk about how great competition is, and it is in theory, but the only thing Valve can do to "counter" Epic is to moneyhat games themselves.
Cause that is all Epic has over Valve, really. There is literally no thing they do better. And I fail to see how another dumb console war only now on PC would benefit anybody.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I've covered this already in another post; Ubisoft is savvy enough to understand the importance of reaching a wider market than what their current platform supports. The question for them is which external platform is suitable to their needs. Overall they clearly expect Epic's to deliver, moneyhat or no. My semi-educated guess here is that Epic has shown that they have a very profitable userbase, meaning their users are more valuable in dollars than your average Steam user.

Also, I don't know what the DLC dealio is for uPlay games on Steam, but if Steam is taking a cut of all DLC sales too, then that gives Ubisoft an even stronger case for moving to Epic, as it'll increase the LTV for their titles significantly. If true, this would also detract from the idea that it's the moneyhat that'll make up for lost sales, because this won't cover the overall hit in LTV from DLC/MTX in the long term.
Yea I'm pretty sure steam takes a cut on DLC and mtx sales because if you try to get something ingame for an Ubi game it will ONLY process the payment through steam. You cannot pay for those directly via visa, mastercard, ccbill etc (which you can if the game is uplay only) without steam processing it first.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

Nah need receipts for those claims when such "shovelware" is a tiny percentage of the total games on the service, plus if you're genuinely selling less than some of them (and it does happen!) then the fault lies more with the devs at hand.
Devs aren't losing out to "trash", they're struggling amongst the sheer amount of games on the service.

Valve can absolutely improve it's algorithims for recommendations, but it's curation strategy? Nope, valve has already proved in the past why it works as it allowed hits to come about that would have been ignored such as Stardew Valley or the VN genre.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The problem of Steam right now is not shovelware, it's the growth of the market is much slower than the amount of offer. Steam gives it's consumers enough tools to avoid shovelware and to filter the games they are being shown.

So is not a problem with steam but inherent to the platform, by going to the Epic Store you are basically ignoring the problem, not fixing it.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A huge get for the Epic store but I wonder what effect it will have on Sales.

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
For all these "no steam, no buy" people, have you ever bought an Ubi game on Steam? All your Steam copy does is launch Uplay so you can then launch the game.

If you're going to buy The Division 2, might as well buy it on Uplay.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some of you seem to think that Ubisoft wasn't paid by Epic.

Let me just say that even if they aren't given cash directly, the profit off of this deal. That's why they are doing it.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly thing Valve might do absolutely nothing, and over the next few years Steam will atrophy away...I mean all the key people at Valve are squillionaires, so what does it matter in the end?

I can see it also, they have failed to innovate with the times, they plowed all that money in to STEAM machines for it to fade into nothing

Years from now it could be like the Ancient Aztec Empire, where we find old relics and ruins of a once mighty STEAM that have wasted away over the years due to Valves' stubbornness