• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Let's not get too hasty here jeez.
Well I care about the price and I just hope the Epic Store doesn't go overboard with the cost of the game.

Also, for a second there I thought Ubi wouldn't use Uplay so I went "whaaat?" and realized I can get the game there, Ubisoft doesn't fuck up with the prices in my region. Yet.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol, do you actually believe the bolded? Ubisoft are more business-savvy than EA. They understand the benefits of reaching a market outside their own ecosystem. Epic offers a more bespoke selection that allows their offerings to stand out among the crowd. Ubi clearly understands the benefits and downsides to making the switch, and has determined that it's going to be a worthwhile risk. Reducing this down to a moneyhat is ignoring that Ubisoft is the most forward-looking of all the AAA's and likely has a grasp of the situation.
I don't think it's ignoring anything. They are losing a big portion of the revenue from steam and if it wasn't an incentaive thing they would be releasing it on both steam and epic game store but they are not. So to me the only conclusion to make is epic is moneyhatting them which they have done a bunch lately.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
If it's moneyhatting...

Then is it just for this one game? Moneyhatting isn't a sustainable business model...especially with the margins Epic gets in return. It would make more sense to buy the publisher.

The store fronts have customers to consider outside of just the people who buy games. Publishers and developers are their customers too. If one store is giving better deals to their customers than another store, that customer has a right to switch stores.

I don't understand what's immoral about this. No I don't think Steam is a monopoly. Yes I understand why consumers prefer their launcher over others. Yes I understand the risk developers and publishers are taking by trading the install base for better margins.

I just think some of the reactions are out there. Steam can match these deals to the developers and publishers. They have 125 million+ instal base. They have the upper hand. They are holding to their margins and some are calling their bluff. It's business.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Games not coming to Steam means Valve may finally take a hard look at their revenue sharing with developers.

That's why we're saying competition is good.

And that picture show you exactly why that kind of competition is shitty for customers.
If that revenue share drops significantly, it means the closure of all these 3rd party stores such as Humble or GreenManGaming.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
So much for Epic's funding to be there to "help the devs that need it" lmao. This shit sucks.
I mean, that was always a blatant lie.
The indies they moneyhatted are very successful, not actually ones who really need a visibility boost.

It's almost as blatant as "this store allows us to communicate with our customers better because it has no communication features". Which some media actually reprinted.

It will take time but will ultimately move back toward consumer friendliness once the war for storefront revenue share is settled.
By what mechanism? This will only happen if customers actually vote with their wallet. A race to the bottom generally doesn't result in a larger feature set.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
soo, whats the difference between buying anything from steam and any other store? Just that you prefer steam, and therefore wont buy the game from other store? ...

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
soo, whats the difference between buying anything from steam and any other store? Just that you prefer steam, and therefore wont buy the game from other store? ...
Regional pricing
Refunds

Those are the big two, there's countless other reasons but im on my phone and cba

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Refund policies
share features
cloud saves
mod workshop
customizable gamepad support
regional pricing
community hubs
linux support
tradable microtransactions

etc.

nemorrhoids

Oct 22, 2018
People seem hellbent on burying the Epic Store from the outset. I understand it's nowhere near as feature-complete as Steam but I do believe Epic will make some moves to become a better competitor; I also understand it's irritating to deal with the many different launchers publishers are trying to get us to use. I prefer Steam, as most do, but I still think that the Epic Store could end up as a good thing in the long-run. Just seems like an overreaction to me.

whistleklik

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
This sucks for people who still buy ubi games on steam. I have been buying their games from gmg for years now. It's cheaper than uplay and steam.

Gassy_N0va

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO this is fantastic news. Regardless would've gotten it on UPlay if i was getting it on PC. Maybe EPIC will eventually get as robust as Steam in order to really compete. Steam isn't what it used to be and it's time that someone wakes Valve up.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Who is ready for Ubisoft to blame piracy again because of the Division 2 low sales?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
People seem hellbent on burying the Epic Store from the outset. I understand it's nowhere near as feature-complete as Steam but I do believe Epic will make some moves to become a better competitor; I also understand it's irritating to deal with the many different launchers publishers are trying to get us to use. I prefer Steam, as most do, but I still think that the Epic Store could end up as a good thing in the long-run. Just seems like an overreaction to me.

"Wait until 2025 to get what you used to get in 2019"
There's not even a fuckin search fonction.

LMAO this is fantastic news. Regardless would've gotten it on UPlay if i was getting it on PC. Maybe EPIC will eventually get as robust as Steam in order to really compete. Steam isn't what it used to be and it's time that someone wakes Valve up.

"Fantastic news to get less choice"
"It's amazing ! Maybe Epic will get as good as Steam because Steam is shit".
When console warring doesn't even makes sense.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Can't you add the games through steam and launch them that way or does that get weird on big picture? Also yeah more launchers should do that. At least Uplay has controller support.

Can't speak for the user you are quoting but for me I like to buy games on steam so it can be part of my overall game clock and achievements

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Good that Epic helps out those Indie developers from going bankrupt. Would be a shame if Ubisoft close down because they don't have visibility on Steam :(

/S

glebanych

Dec 8, 2017
Kyiv, Ukraine
No regional pricing btw
Not true

HS89T8v.jpg

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feel free to provide me with a source explicitly proving that Epic is moneyhatting publishers and developers into releasing games exclusively on their store.
You'd have to be a complete moron to think that getting 8% more of the cut is worth losing the massive Chinese Steam userbase. They're being moneyhatted . You have to have a extremely poor understanding of simple math to think otherwise

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Can't you add the games through steam and launch them that way or does that get weird on big picture? Also yeah more launchers should do that. At least Uplay has controller support.

There can be issues with that, but those aside I'd be using a mouse/keyboard to add games to Steam and at that point I might as well use the other launchers. I like the console experience, not having to use mouse and keyboard. Steam big picture gives me that or at least close enough.

What if AMD / Nvidia took it on themselves to do what Playnite does and offered a "big picture mode" option for living room gaming as a software option that combined all your games on every launcher into a sleak console-like interface (of course it'd work well for m+kb too).

As long as I can boot into it and use keyboard/mouse as little as possible, I'll be happy. Wouldn't mind buying from Epic or others if they offered that.

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression it would be a Uplay exclusive.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure of Ubi's intent here - I admittedly don't have the breakdown of Steam vs Uplay sales for Division 1, but forgoing steam entirely seems like a really shortsighted move unless Epic was willing to throw a LOT of Fortnite money at them.

I guess we'll see, in any event.

Tezu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why some of y'all are so in favor of a Steam monopoly over PC gaming. It's really simple to just launch another application to access your purchase. This is good competition and hopefully it continues to so Valve will be forced to improve the Steam experience.

It has nothing to do with being in favor of a Steam monopoly. It is about bullshit exclusivity and most important no regional pricing.

I paid R$180,00 for The Division 1, that also costs $60,00 at the time. If I were to buy The Division 2 on Epic Store today, I'd be paying around R$260,00. That's a 30% increase.

So no, that's not good competition.

I was going to buy The Division 2, I'm not anymore.

xrnzaaas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dayum, this year should be "interesting" for PC gaming. Not sure if I'd be happy with the changes if I was primarily or exclusively a PC gamer.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Oh I agree I was just asking about the Big Picture mode quirks.

Not sure how other platforms are like when it comes to that

I don't really per say use big picture but I am sssuming it's because of the settings I have input that I can literally play every game plug and play with my DS4

Haven't tried my DS4 on Origin or GOG games yet

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
WOW!!!! holy shit ubisoft. HOLY SHIT. No buy for me. WOW...i am speechless. i was fucking hyped for this, was gonna buy day 1. Nice way to kill your PC fanbase. Next you will blame the pc market for the lack of sales. I hope this shit bombs now. No way i will ever buy shit from the epic store.

Tranqueris

Oct 26, 2017
You're gonna need Uplay anyway to play it so just buy it there. I really don't see the issue here

Same. Also I've started to buy my Ubisoft games only on Uplay since Steam and Uplay have some fucked up issues when it comes to DLC. Such as DLC you buy through Uplay might be recognized on your Steam version of the game but it sure as hell won't let you use it.

SpoonSpatula

Oct 27, 2017
This has a pretty big negative impact on Developing/Third World countries when it comes to regional pricing.

Because it's only priced in $, € or £, this effectively means I will be paying between 10% and 20% more as a South African (If it's a title only listed on Epic Store or Uplay. GMG, Fanatical, Humble Bundle, etc also taken into account). Only Steam and Origin currently offer regional pricing over here.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And that picture show you exactly why that kind of competition is shitty for customers.
If that revenue share drops significantly, it means the closure of all these 3rd party stores such as Humble or GreenManGaming.
Humble's discounts come from them working with developers/publishers, not from them cutting into their revenue share. Would be a bit hard for them to do that since the cut Humble Store gets from each sale is already 15%. Specifically their revenue split is 75% for developers, 10% for charity, 15% for Humble Store.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
wow, and they are working to integrate uplay into the epic launcher............thats big. Didn't steam require you to still use the uplay launcher/app even buying it through steam............