• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And? You original comment was about exclusivity.
Not being on steam doesn't make it exclusive to Epic store, that''s like saying Ubi games were exclusive to steam until now.
It does when they are taking it off steam for the epic store. If they weren't being given something than it would still be on steam but it's not.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
No. They signed that deal because they'll keep more of the profits. There's a big difference in the splits. I can see moneyhatting a few desperate Indies but the price tag to a AAA dev expecting to sell millions just to get people to try your launcher doesn't make any financial sense. It makes less sense than moneyhatting on consoles because you aren't getting someone to buy your closed ecosystem. Even if they try your launcher, if they don't like it, they won't use your launcher again unless forced to. On the other hand, buying a console for a 3rd party exclusive means other purchases will likely be made through that ecosystem.

Moneyhatting big devs isn't a sustainable business model for launchers. It'll never pay itself back. Whatever Epic could afford to pay would be peanuts compared to overall sales profits. It's the margins that matter. Likely Ubisoft is making a play to get Steam to offer more competitive margins.

Ffs you have Satisfactory's dev telling us that Epic paid, and you're still telling us there's no moneyhatting ?

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
so? steam didn't make it popular

What's that even supposed to mean and why does it matter? The game gets regularly featured on the frontpage during sales and events and many people bought it there despite it being available on Uplay. It being available on Steam certainly helped. And the more general point is that Ubi's games sell extremely well on Steam and retain players there.

Ffs you have Satisfactory's dev telling us that Epic paid, and you're still telling us there's no moneyhatting ?

You still replying to that dude? Shame on you.

Kissenkopf

Nov 1, 2017
Mein Land!
If Ubi's brave move will be successful then we will see more publishers doing this thing.
But in the end Steam will always be the big boy in this competition.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of your posts in this thread make you come off as a bit of a loon mate. You've not posted anything to convince me that Ubisoft are being paid by Epic to put The Division 2 on the Epic Store. Until news comes out that such a thing happened, maybe cool it with the conspiracy theories yeah? A subsidiary of THQ Nordic is not the same as one of the largest publishers in the industry.
Sorry fam, you're definitely the one coming off as clueless and antagonistic laughing at people with genuine issues with this. Regional pricing is a big fucking deal for people as is the ability to get refunds.

Oct 25, 2017
No. They signed that deal because they'll keep more of the profits. There's a big difference in the splits. I can see moneyhatting a few desperate Indies but the price tag to a AAA dev expecting to sell millions just to get people to try your launcher doesn't make any financial sense. It makes less sense than moneyhatting on consoles because you aren't getting someone to buy your closed ecosystem. Even if they try your launcher, if they don't like it, they won't use your launcher again unless forced to. On the other hand, buying a console for a 3rd party exclusive means other purchases will likely be made through that ecosystem.

Moneyhatting big devs isn't a sustainable business model for launchers. It'll never pay itself back. Whatever Epic could afford to pay would be peanuts compared to overall sales profits. It's the margins that matter. Likely Ubisoft is making a play to get Steam to offer more competitive margins.

Coffe Stain isn't exactly small or desperate and they moneyhatted them. Pls stop moving goalposts.

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After what I assume were Tencent spyware IP addresses that I saw going to China after installing that store, I'm done with Epic on PC.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
there's no 30% cut for big publishers, but nice try

Shitty regional pricing makes.it.more expensive
Shitty 2 refunds a year policy.
No Linux
No offline mode

Fuck that shit.

Isn't it 2 refunds and then one each year (non-stacking) after you've used those?

Still better than uplays 0 refunds tho.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Meh get it on the Uplay store. This is a stupid move but unless Uplay completely goes away I will just purchase Ubi games from them direcectly. I really dislike this move as the Epic store gives zeron incentive for me to purchase games from them as a store front outside of free games they have done nothing for the end user experience.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
At the end of the day you'll still be using Uplay so why all the complaining?
The no Steam no buy BS has to end guys once and for all.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft games have been released on Uplay, Steam and even Origin. Now it's seemingly just coming to Uplay and the Epic Games Store.

Man do I love this competition.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Well.. I mean.. it's Uplay so it's.. like the same thing. Like just get it on Uplay.

LuckyLocke

Avenger
Nov 27, 2017
I don't care about which storefront it's on, I'm not skipping on that game. Hopefully the Epic store is solid by the time the game launches.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad that the little indie dev Ubisoft, will finally get some spotlight on their small games, like The Division 2.

No, it doesn't. The entire point of the openess of PC gaming is choice, this decision is a direct opposite to that.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
All them Fortnite money in use!

Will be interesting to see how these Epic Store exclusive games are doing this year.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Ubisoft games perform very inconsistently on my PC. So Steam Refunds make purchasing them less risky for me. Uplay has no refunds and Epic's refund system is crap. Makes it a lot harder for me.

Ubisoft's PC ports are full of problems and im not the only one having performance issues with a lot of their titles.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is a brilliant move to make the Uplay store/client seem like the more attractive option.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland

Yea, it has to end.

We should be more accurate and say
"No refunds, no big picture mode, no workshop, no linux support, no forums and no community hub - no buy"

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah. The new rules were specifically designed to prevent this exact circumstance.

I can at least understand indies selling out to Epic. But this is stupid and senseless.
Yeah, it makes no sense on Ubi's part. The cut via UPlay for them is zero, which is better than the cut Epic takes. Also, seems like they are going out of their way to advertise this being on Epic's launcher rather than their own.

If you are a company that has your own launcher, it makes zero sense to do this. Also, some of these companies will find out the hard way that the primary reason people have the Epic launcher is to play a free game. People aren't going there to buy $60 games on day one.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Again, caring about those features is fine. Preferring the game to come to the client of your preference is fine.
Saying you won't buy it if it doesn't come to that client implies the features matter more than the game.

It's like owning an XBox One and a PS4 and refusing to buy Spiderman despite really wanting to play it because you have most achievements on XBox One and you prefer the dashboard there.

That's just about preference though. I mean actual features like supporting tons of controller options. Epic is objectively worse for controller use (at least non-Xbox ones), among the other things it's worse at. It can be a bit of an issue when you're stripped of good features because of (alleged) moneyhatting forcing you to use a barebones store.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about which storefront it's on, I'm not skipping on that game. Hopefully the Epic store is solid by the time the game launches.
Just buy it from Uplay and Ubisoft gets 100% of the transaction. You will be using Uplay anyways.

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it need competition when it's best in class in basically every aspect by a far margin compared to everyone else? Its feature set isn't even close to being matched by anyone else. All this does is force fragmentation, which hurts the consumer.

Steam may have the best feature set from a consumer stand point, but clearly there is enough money on the line from a Publisher perspective for them to start experimenting with other models compared to Steam. There will be some chaos in the short term as it sorts itself out. Steam is becoming a victim of their own success now that PC has grown large enough for major players to make moves and grow their market share. It will take time but will ultimately move back toward consumer friendliness once the war for storefront revenue share is settled.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Explain why.
I wait for that. Explain me what needs to be done and how does moneyhatting games will make things better.

Because I have something to reply to that bullshit:
unknown.png

Games not coming to Steam means Valve may finally take a hard look at their revenue sharing with developers.

That's why we're saying competition is good.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fragmentation was always gonna happen in the digital market place in the long run. just look at the development of services like netflix. as soon as it was / is profitable enough the big guys want their own lunch rather than share it

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
This situation is fucking disgusting. It's not like it's going to be epic launcher exclusive, they still going to sell it on Uplay, so epic paid Ubisoft SPECIFICALLY to not release it on Steam. Division 2 is not a struggling indie who needs additional marketing, they just want to take it hostage for those who prefer to buy it on Steam before. And this really doesn't make sense outside just to fuck with Steam customers, people who didn't give a shit about Steam would buy in on Uplay anyway. Sweeney is a fucking asshole who is trying to create chaos on PC market

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Lol @ thinking that a publisher that has accepted money hats from platform holders will miracously not take a money hat from another publisher that is currently making just as much money as said platform holder.

Like, I'm not sure you are aware, but there's this thing called Uplay where Ubisoft gets 100% Of the money. Surely if the cut was the issue it would be Uplay exclusive.
lol, do you actually believe the bolded? Ubisoft are more business-savvy than EA. They understand the benefits of reaching a market outside their own ecosystem. Epic offers a more bespoke selection that allows their offerings to stand out among the crowd. Ubi clearly understands the benefits and downsides to making the switch, and has determined that it's going to be a worthwhile risk. Reducing this down to a moneyhat is ignoring that Ubisoft is the most forward-looking of all the AAA's and likely has a grasp of the situation.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Steam may have the best feature set from a consumer stand point, but clearly there is enough money on the line from a Publisher perspective for them to start experimenting with other models compared to Steam. There will be some chaos in the short term as it sorts itself out. Steam is becoming a victim of their own success now that PC has grown large enough for major players to make moves and grow their market share. It will take time but will ultimately move back toward consumer friendliness once the war for storefront revenue share is settled.
Suuuureeee... Call me when Epic Store or any other launcher has the same, or many of the features, Steam has.