• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I don't mind, in fact, I applaud initiatives like this. Steam needs competition. Monopolies are never good.

Yes, the store lacks features but I'm willing to give them time to get it up to standards.

Explain why.
I wait for that. Explain me what needs to be done and how does moneyhatting games will make things better.

Because I have something to reply to that bullshit:
unknown.png

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dunno i just find it weird that so many ERA user are only worried in PC threads about the 30% cut but not for console manufacturer.

Im sure it's just pure coincidence. ;)
No one is "worried."

Consoles are walled gardens with no competition. If you want to sell your game on PS4 you have to play by Sony's rules. There's no potential for another store to put the heat on Sony and make them lower their prices.

PC is an open platform. Different stores can compete with each other, to the benefit of consumers. If the result of this competition is a lower average cut from digital storefronts, then you might see some action being taken by console manufacturers.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: System Wars
It's not really fair, and is extremely childish, but I think watching pc gamers get upset by store-front news is my new hobby :)

I know...I know...steam offers lots of features that others don't, and it's got a much better consumer protection policy (for refunds, it doesn't care too much about kids gambling for csgo knife skins).

We're already at 8 pages of one line glorious takes such as #NoSteamNoBuy.

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling
Good. Get all triple-A big budget games off steam. Steam should only be for indie games and early access survival games.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Someone brings you evidence and now it's about "You never know !" ? Really ?
All of your posts in this thread make you come off as a bit of a loon mate. You've not posted anything to convince me that Ubisoft are being paid by Epic to put The Division 2 on the Epic Store. Until news comes out that such a thing happened, maybe cool it with the conspiracy theories yeah? A subsidiary of THQ Nordic is not the same as one of the largest publishers in the industry.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand why people get so worked up over this. I myself only use Steam and GOG, but if a game is not released on them I just skip it and move on.
the good thing for me personally so far is that i had absolutely zero interest in any of the games that epic moneyhatted to come to their store so far... its gonna betough tho when they bribe muh animu games, but i doubt they do that as they seem to be only interested in a certain very popular subset of developers / games

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol @ the people in this thread thinking Epic moneyhatted Ubisoft, of all things
Lol @ thinking that a publisher that has accepted money hats from platform holders will miracously not take a money hat from another publisher that is currently making just as much money as said platform holder.

Like, I'm not sure you are aware, but there's this thing called Uplay where Ubisoft gets 100% Of the money. Surely if the cut was the issue it would be Uplay exclusive.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not really fair, and is extremely childish, but I think watching pc gamers get upset by store-front news is my new hobby :)

I know...I know...steam offers lots of features that others don't, and it's got a much better consumer protection policy (for refunds, it doesn't care too much about kids gambling for csgo knife skins).

We're already at 8 pages of one line glorious takes such as #NoSteamNoBuy.
When the launcher is shit and doesn't offer anything of use, it's deserved. fuck the epic store.

Lol @ thinking that a publisher that has accepted money hats from platform holders will miracously not take a money hat from another publisher that is currently making just as much money as said platform holder.

Like, I'm not sure you are aware, but there's this thing called Uplay where Ubisoft gets 100% Of the money. Surely if the cut was the issue it would be Uplay exclusive.
Exactly. Something else is at play on this and if it was uplay exclusive than I could understand, this is pretty shitty.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
"Monopolies are never good" I said as I bought several hundred games on sale for 85% off during steams peak.

"Competition is good" I said as I downloaded my 27th launcher and put my credit card info in.

In this case you didn't see the negative effects of Valve's monopoly (because they kept their consumer friendly strategy) but developers did.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
But these games have a 12-months exclusivity deal. Do you think that devs decided to sign that out of good will?

No. They signed that deal because they'll keep more of the profits. There's a big difference in the splits. I can see moneyhatting a few desperate Indies but the price tag to a AAA dev expecting to sell millions just to get people to try your launcher doesn't make any financial sense. It makes less sense than moneyhatting on consoles because you aren't getting someone to buy your closed ecosystem. Even if they try your launcher, if they don't like it, they won't use your launcher again unless forced to. On the other hand, buying a console for a 3rd party exclusive means other purchases will likely be made through that ecosystem.

Moneyhatting big devs isn't a sustainable business model for launchers. It'll never pay itself back. Whatever Epic could afford to pay would be peanuts compared to overall sales profits. It's the margins that matter. Likely Ubisoft is making a play to get Steam to offer more competitive margins.

thirtypercent

Oct 18, 2018
R6:Siege is regularly in the top 5 most played games on Steam but sure Ubi, good luck giving Steam the finger.

Oh I don't mind, in fact, I applaud initiatives like this. Steam needs competition. Monopolies are never good.

Steam isn't a monopoly and has lots of competition. See Fortnite which kinda started this whole mess. And did you know that you can buy Ubi's games on Origin? Oh and Uplay obviously.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not policing anyone. I'm just saying if someone is that concerned about revenue split, I hope that person NEVER buys a physical game then. Because otherwise, they'd just be full of shit. Basically putting your money where your mouth is.
Do pubs actually get more money from digital sales on console? I had assumed the hardware holder took most of it but I'm probably mistaken. Personally I'm all digital so I'd be happy if my buying habits were beneficial to publishers, espescially smaller ones.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
First they announced Ashen, and I did not speak out-because I did not want Ashen.
Then they announced Hades, and I did not speak out-because I did not want Hades.
Then they announced The Division 2, and I did not speak out-because I did not want The Division 2.
Then they announced Splinter Cell...I'm on board,take my money.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
People really gonna say to give the Epic Store a chance for its lack of features cause it only just launched when Steam in 2003 had more features than the majority of these launchers lmao

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I was gonna get it on Uplay anyway. I like their client more for Ubi games and they have a good discount going with the Uplay points thing.

The Epic client is too barebones for me to even consider getting it there.

I'm not sure why some of y'all are so in favor of a Steam monopoly over PC gaming. It's really simple to just launch another application to access your purchase. This is good competition and hopefully it continues to so Valve will be forced to improve the Steam experience.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes, the store lacks features but I'm willing to give them time to get it up to standards.
If you think steam is a monopoly, you have no idea what the fuck you're talking about in the first place.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
More companies need to move to the epic store. Valve takes a huge hit in revenue. Forced to go back to half life 3.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
"Monopolies are never good" I said as I bought several hundred games on sale for 85% off during steams peak.

"Competition is good" I said as I downloaded my 27th launcher and put my credit card info in.

Lol but wheres the nuance? The inbetween. Sure the monopoly seems better from your consumer perspective, but what about the developers who needed to heavily discount their game in the first place to have a chance at being seen on Steam? Of course, I'm sure most dont care and will say they should have made a better game or something but thats not healthy for the industry either.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this case you didn't see the negative effects of Valve's monopoly (because they kept their consumer friendly strategy) but developers did.
I'm interested when those same developers notice the negative effects of epic buying exclusivity because it will happen and I bet they will be crying than.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure why some of y'all are so in favor of a Steam monopoly over PC gaming. It's really simple to just launch another application to access your purchase. This is good competition and hopefully it continues to so Valve will be forced to improve the Steam experience.
Another clueless hot take.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Steam is not a monopoly. You can literally buy keys for games from 20 different store fronts of which Valve sees 0% of the sale.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

uplay has been the better option than steam to buy Ubi games for quite some time now.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
All these people mentioning Steam is a monopoly will give me a heart attack.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Why does it need competition when it's best in class in basically every aspect by a far margin compared to everyone else? Its feature set isn't even close to being matched by anyone else. All this does is force fragmentation, which hurts the consumer.

Bisonian

Oct 27, 2017
All the steam versions of Uplay games do is provide a link to your library, and something you can double click to launch Uplay. You can buy it from Uplay (for cheaper than Steam, because it's always cheaper there) - and just create a link through Steam with a few clicks and it's exactly the same.

It's fine and great to act all hyperbolic but I wanted to get this message out to everyone so that we can calmly move on to the freaking out about microtransactions part of the conversation. I would hate for everyone to miss that.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
All of your posts in this thread make you come off as a bit of a loon mate. You've not posted anything to convince me that Ubisoft are being paid by Epic to put The Division 2 on the Epic Store. Until news comes out that such a thing happened, maybe cool it with the conspiracy theories yeah? A subsidiary of THQ Nordic is not the same as one of the largest publishers in the industry.

You've been moving goal posts all other the place though.
I've been telling you there's been a lot of cases of a 12 months timed exclusives. You told me it's a conspiracy theory.
I've been showing you store pages showing that. You told me it's a conspiracy theory.
Heck, you've been proving that yourself by posting the remove steam page. You're telling me it's a conspiracy theory.
Someone has shown you one of the dev explaining the deal going on. You're telling me it's a conspiracy theory.

I don't know what to tell you, but I know you'll tell me it's a conspiracy theory.

Do pubs actually get more money from digital sales on console? I had assumed the hardware holder took most of it but I'm probably mistaken. Personally I'm all digital so I'd be happy if my buying habits were beneficial to publishers, espescially smaller ones.

They do.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Like, I am not upset about this particular game because I do not actually care for the franchise.

I just dislike this trend. I dislike the idea that I cannot simply buy a game on the store I want, with the features I want.

I will get over it eventually, but I additionally dislike how much people are tripping over themselves to minimize this.f

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Still don't understand the hate for the Epic Launcher / Store. I'll definitely be getting The Division 2, but probably on PS4

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I know about Uplay, but I buy Ubisoft games on Steam.
And? You original comment was about exclusivity.
Not being on steam doesn't make it exclusive to Epic store, that''s like saying Ubi games were exclusive to steam until now.

As many have stated Ubi games were always cheaper to buy on uplay (or almost the same price when considering regional pricing, I say this from my personal experience with Indian store), and since uplay was required for everything buying on steam it's really a different kind of situation than other Epic moneyhatting in recent few weeks.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Ahh truly excellent for the PC marketplace, yes, this is what all PC gamers need and want

get fucked

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
there's no 30% cut for big publishers, but nice try

Shitty regional pricing makes.it.more expensive
Shitty 2 refunds a year policy.
No Linux
No offline mode

Fuck that shit.

Epic's launcher doesn't have an offline mode? Wow it's even worse of a launcher than I thought! And I thought Bethesda's launcher was bad!

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
It's almost like Epic is actively trying to make me dislike their service rather than to make me interest in it.
Completely agree.

At first, I was genuinely optimistic that Epic would add value to the PC ecosystem through new store features, better consumer pricing. etc.
Now its clear they're just buying sh!+.

Yea for publishers and dev teams. But I don't like the PC space having fragmented storefronts if I personally don't benefit.
(The humor is that everyone involved in this conversation - including me - is after their own gain; I don't want yet another launcher.)