• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is there evidence that Epic is shelling out money to publishers on top of just plain having much lower retail cuts? Or y'all just talking out your asses?

Because to me it just looks like Epic is winning over publishers by charging a way smaller cut on their store.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

#KillSteam

Again, how is a post like this not actioned?

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I'd guess what Ubisoft would really want is for Steam to offer better terms. They can use Epic to put a bit of pressure

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Is there evidence that Epic is shelling out money to publishers on top of just plain having much lower retail cuts? Or y'all just talking out your asses?

Because to me it just looks like Epic is winning over publishers by charging a way smaller cut on their store.

Yeah, 12 months exclusivity window is coming out of nowhere.

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Forgive the conspiracy type thinking here but tencent did buy some shares from ubisoft which prevent a takeover correct? Since tencent does own a sizeable share of epic, there's a strong connection there. Just saying.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm more surprised Ubisoft isn't just only selling the game on Uplay. I figured that would be the end goal for them. Epic must've struck a decent deal for Ubisoft to put the game on their platform.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking fuck this.
Why are Ubi even doing this? They would be getting a ~80% cut with Steam anyway with the new revenue sharing scheme anyway?
Yeah. The new rules were specifically designed to prevent this exact circumstance.

I can at least understand indies selling out to Epic. But this is stupid and senseless.

Deleted member 4044

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now I can buy Ubisoft games from GreenManGaming from now on instead of holding out for Steam sales, Id rather use Uplay directly than touch Epic's garbage store.

Pretty sure that's the most desirable outcome for Ubi Soft, so maybe that's the real play here.

I couldn't care less what launcher a game is on as long as it runs well on PC. And for everyone so up in arms about exclusivity, when will I be able to purchase Artifact on Origin?

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I hope you guys know that if this was still on steam it would have been a 80/20 cut and for some reason I guess that 8% was enough to jump ship and I doubt it I'm pretty sure this was on epic asking them or paying them to put it on epics store. Not the first time a publisher gets pushed into it and not the last.

It's fucking dumb and I want epic to stop this childish shit. .

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Means I effectively have to pay about 30-40% more than steam bcz Epic doesn't support regional pricing?
Cool I guess. Easy skip for me.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
PC Gamers to consoles gamers and MacOS users: "Enjoy your walled gardens and limited options I guess, I'd rather have freedom".

Also PC Gamers: "WTF no Steam no buy".

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I don't think moneyhatting is the right word for why this is happening. Epic has been open about their split being much lower. It's why some 3rd parties are taking the gamble of moving over. It's their right to make that move. It's your right to choose whether or not to buy. Being angry that this is "allowed to happen" is being mad that capitalism is allowed in gaming and being mad that governments don't regulate game companies to force everything on Steam.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really interested in the game but this sucks. The Epic Games Store doesn't have regional pricing, so yeah, Steam is still way better than Epic Games buying exclusives.

The article says nothing about Ubi having a timed exclusive

Every game coming out on EGS first has a 12 month exclusivity. There's no reason for this to be different.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
So weird. If I do get the game I will just get it through Uplay. Don't like how Epic is pushing their store with holding games off steam.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
PC Gamers to consoles gamers and MacOS users: "Enjoy your walled gardens and limited options I guess, I'd rather have freedom".

Also Visanideth: "Fuck people from poorer regions that Epic Store nor uPlay support!"

That's not an answer. Why do you personally not like it?

Im not him, but a lot of people cant buy it for a reasonable price.

They also cant refund as many titles as they want on Epic Launcher.

They also dont have Achievements on the Epic Launcher (Steam and uPlay achievments sync for the latest uPlay games).

They also cant play it in BPM (because for some reason games purchased on Epic Launcher wont work in Steam BPM even as non-Steam games).

etc.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
People wanna buy it in their currency for a good regional pricing and with all the features Steam offers.
From my experience with Indian steam store, Ubi games don't benefit much from regional pricing much because the price difference are small to non existent in contrast to other games where the price can be half or less than half. uplay already does 20% discount.

This situation is perplexing because uplay and steam worked really well and off store sales were all uplay sales anyway. But it's not as bad as other games/launches because uplay is a mandatory platform for all Ubi games and the platform itself is actually quite nice.

Deleted member 4044

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think moneyhatting is the right word for why this is happening. Epic has been open about their split being much lower. It's why some 3rd parties are taking the gamble of moving over. It's their right to make that move. It's your right to choose whether or not to buy. Being angry that this is "allowed to happen" is being mad that capitalism is allowed in gaming and being mad that governments don't regulate game companies to force everything on Steam.

Yeah but this take doesn't generate as many views on YouTube

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you guys know that if this was still on steam it would have been a 80/20 cut and for some reason I guess that 8% was enough to jump ship and I doubt it I'm pretty sure this was on epic asking them or paying them to put it on epics store. Not the first time a publisher gets pushed into it and not the last.

It's fucking dumb and I want epic to stop this childish shit. .
Only thing we can do as consumers is to not buy games from their store. Also, don't redeem their free games too.
Developers will have to make a choice: accept Epic's bribe or put their games in different storefronts to sell their games.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017

some devs have confirmed a payment from Epic for the exclusivity

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Yo that's fucking nuts.

Ubisoft stepping past their own launcher in order to get on epic's launcher. Wowzers.
If you're gonna ditch Steam why not just exclusively be on Uplay at that point? Weird.

Yeah...this might be the first major dumb gaming move of 2019. Like...maybe promote your own launcher? It's like they don't realize the Epic's launcher is competing with their's...this is such short term thinking on their part.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe we live in a world where corporation are put first than consumers.

I mean, it's still a business decision, and if it was said by a developer I could understand the implication. But considering the people rejoicing here are average joe it's kinda baffling

If there is one common trend that has gone forever then it's dumb consumer running into the open knife from multi billion dollar companies while cheering for them.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Can't say I am surprised at all. Lot of the big publishers have been leaving steam.
Hopefully Bandai Namco doesn't answer any phone calls from epic.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely crazy! With Ubisoft making this move, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before other companies follow. I just hope this means that Ubisoft will use Epic's cross-platform tools for Division 2, even if it isn't at launch.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017

PC gamers aren't asking for games to be exclusive to Steam. Freedom means games being on every storefront and storefronts competing on their own features and prices, not limiting where you can buy the game.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

"Ubisoft and Epic said they will "also partner on additional select titles [coming to the Epic Games Store] to be announced during the coming year."

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What salt? Do you really think that Epic paying 3rd party devs and publishers to pull their games away from Steam is healthy competition? I'd love to hear your explanation if so.

Like many have said here..

Many publishers have been disgruntled with Valve for quite some time. Why keep doing business with them when a new competitor is offering you a better deal?