• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VerySerious

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, I thought the Epic Game Store was going to be pretty much all indies and Epic's own games. Did Epic say anything about bringing games from the big studios to the store?

I imagine it'll come to Steam eventually, though; the install base is too large to ignore.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
That's a bold strategy after Ubi did so well on Steam last year. That must be quite the moneyhat.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
This isn't as big of a deal as it first seems. The official launcher for the game is still Uplay.
Steam and Epic are always "third-party" for Ubisoft games.

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if Epic offers a lower margin, why not put it there. Ubi sees digital pc stores as just doors, so why not go through the cheapest one to them?
Still, I haven't bought a Ubi game since FC5, so I wish them luck.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could someone explain why people seem to hate the Epic Store so much? Isn't it better to developers than Steam?
Fuck devs, I want to use one launcher for everything.
/s but hopefully nobody really thought that was a real statement.... Hell it aint even exclusive to epic, its on 2 platforms (epic/uplay)

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Disruptive behaviour, modwhining
That thread is already a shitshow full of console warriors. Of course mods won't do anything about it again. :")

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the clarification.

Unless there's an Epic Store sale, I don't see a reason why to get this on the Epic Store if it's an opening the client-from-within-a-client scenario like other Ubisoft games. But I get why Ubisoft would want to get this game in front of all the eyeballs of Fortnite players, and to forgo a store that takes a much bigger cut of sales. And plus they probably got that exclusive partnership check, whatever it's worth.

From a consumer standpoint, it sucks that we'll miss out on the typical GMG and similar sales we would've gotten otherwise with a Steam release. Other than that, I usually prefer to get Ubi games direct so I don't have to deal with that client-from-client launching.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
They're tired of paying the Valve tax every time they sell a copy of the game.

the funny thing is they are already selling their games on their own service with 0% cut

yet they feel theres something to gain by putting it on epics store instead of steam

all those fortnite players aren't coming to division 2 ubi

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
And it starts.

Look at the Brightside. Soon so many of you will be saving so much money!

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If you guys read the statement, its not exclusive to Epic store.

and who said Epic money hatted it?

Please don't jump to conclusion and jump on someones statement without first reading the OP or know what your talking about..

The page was removed from Steam. There's a whole PR about it with Tim Sweeney talking.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
This is ridiculous. F*ck Epic with their moneyhats, and f*ck every dev and publisher who agree with this. No more Division 2 for me.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
lol @ the people in this thread thinking Epic moneyhatted Ubisoft, of all things

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Could someone explain why people seem to hate the Epic Store so much? Isn't it better to developers than Steam?
It largely comes down to people being stubborn and only wanting their library on one platform.

The Division 2 runs through Uplay regardless of where you buy it so I feel like people are making mountains out of molehills here. Just buy the Uplay version and then use the "add a non steam game" to add it to your steam library, it's the same difference more or less.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR

People want all their games in one place and are apparently willing to boycott publishers to have that.

Personally, I think someone's needed to light a fire under Valve's ass for a while now (it's easy to be complacent when you're the largest game distributor by a wide margin), and I'm fine with Epic being the company to do that.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Enjoy your dead game. Good luck having this game hit division 1 sales numbers regardless.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely perplexing decision !
uPlay was the one store that played nice with steam and being a AAA publisher they were already making like 90% margin on steam plus all offstore sales were uplay codes on which they made high margin as well.

That said though, people will just end up buying this on uPlay a lot of people (including steam diiehard users) now just buy games directly through uPlay as it ends up cheaper due to 20% uplay point discount and you need to have uplay regardless of which platform you buy an Ubi game on. So yea it won't "die" because people actually use uplay and like it.