• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
40 hours of content sounds like weasely way of saying you could play it for 40 hours instead of it being 40 hours from start to finish.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Nope. They never mentioned how long it would be before. They just said it would be better.

Also, love the Monica Rambeau/Photon/Pulsar/Spectrum avatar.

Photon/

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Really? That's like double that of the first, isn't it? Will definitely be picking this up then. I liked it for its campaign.

ImperatorPat

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Division is an RPG so rpg-level length seems expected.

And yeah I assume that's with the assumption people do most missions on the map to unlock power ups plus finish the story.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
If there's plenty of things to do in Division 2, then I'm happy and ready to go. I know I only spent 2 hours at best in the beta, but the gun fights was still pretty solid. Can't wait to see what Division 2 has to offer.

Deleted member 43514

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2018
Especially since the endgame according to the beta is you have to fight for everything you just fought to claim against the Black Tusk. That endgame mission was HARD.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
The original The Division had a great and engaging story. The issues presented itself when you finished it and got to the end game.

Now, Massive has said multiple times that they have a huge focus on end game content.

That, coupled with a 40 hour campaign, makes things look really good.

Oct 26, 2017
From what I've seen you don't just upgrade your base of operations like the first game, you actually build up survivor communities as well. It's nice to see a developer not treating the story/campaign element of an online game as a throwaway addition to get out the way as quickly as possible.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
How much of that time is spent slowly and artfully circling the camera around your character every time you step into a new environment?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I felt the first game's campaign was fairly rote and uneventful, hopefully this one's deeper. Definitely picking it up down the line to play through it.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
These number needs context...like how good was the player that needed 40 hours to complete it.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The campaign in the original was meaty but 40 hours is too damn long before you get to the fun parts.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds about right, I spent 40ish hours in the first playing co-op and doing side stuff and then a little more in the dlc.

I liked it well enough but again I got it on a stupid sale physical for like $14, so I may wait again.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
I felt the first game's campaign was fairly rote and uneventful, hopefully this one's deeper. Definitely picking it up down the line to play through it.

If SkillUps video is anything to go off of, you're not going to be very impressed with the story. Sounds like it's not very deep. Obviously it's just one guys opinion but he's usually fairly spot on in my experience.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
If SkillUps video is anything to go off of, you're not going to be very impressed with the story. Sounds like it's not very deep. Obviously it's just one guys opinion but he's usually fairly spot on in my experience.
I agree with some of the things SkillUp said in that video but the beta was a very small slice of the story.

You can't get a sense of how good or poor the story will be with such little information.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Eh it's all about end game anyway, story is just there to keep you from hitting it immediately

Also sucks if true, people don't typically roll one character and no one wants to do 40 hours every run through.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018
I agree with some of the things SkillUp said in that video but the beta was a very small slice of the story.

You can't get a sense of how good or poor the story will be with such little information.

I totally agree. Like I said I'm not taking his word as gospel but I played the beta as well and while a vertical slice isn't indicative of final release it was definitely not very engaging from what I played.

Epilogue

Alt account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
The original The Division had a great and engaging story. The issues presented itself when you finished it and got to the end game.

Now, Massive has said multiple times that they have a huge focus on end game content.

That, coupled with a 40 hour campaign, makes things look really good.

....What story? Wasn't there like two cut scenes?

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Eh it's all about end game anyway, story is just there to keep you from hitting it immediately

Also sucks if true, people don't typically roll one character and no one wants to do 40 hours every run through.
With a ton of loadout slots and increased stash space, I feel the need to create 'mules' will be lessened.

They will also let you customize your character at any time, although I think the initial face/gender/skin color choice may be locked (hopefully they'll include full, unrestricted customization).

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I hit 44h in the first before I hit endgame content. Ran it solo and did nearly all of the side content.
The story in the division 1 is the side content, learning about the world from the phone calls, security tapes & other trinkets was great and having a few of them cross reference each other towards the end really pulled it all together for me.
Based on the beta, it looks like D2 will have the exact same structure.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference how long the story is? You're either running missions in the story, or you're running missions in one of the other modes. It seems like the only difference is whether or not there are cutscenes and bespoke dialogue to keep you company.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
A 40 hour cover shooter. Can't say wether that's a good thing or not, but judging by how they talk about storytelling I don't have any hope for it.