• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 10, 2019
D1 in New York at Christmas time just worked so well for atmosphere and bringing the player into it's world. D2 has a gorgeous DC to experience but can lack that atmosphere that D1 had. Where D2 makes an impression on me is with it's AI and more so friendly AI.

Quick story, I was hunting down all the masks during a play session and I had the 4 vs 1 hunt and had my ass hand to me. So I went back a second time working out what skills and a plan to use. I dropped the first one fast but one of them launched a drone that started to wreck me. Getting behind cover, dropping a armor kit and about to take on the 3 when a friendly patrol came by and actually pulled two of them away from the fight. I finished the one and dropped the other two with their help.

I do think D1 is the better game but D2 has its moments, just wish it had a lot more.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
I have 200+ hours in both D1 and D2.

D1 does setting and story so much better than D2. NYC at Christmas is such a great setting and the individual stories it tells through the ECHOs are really cool.

D2 does gameplay and specifically shooting much better than D1, Washington D.C. is not as interesting a location, and the lack of care and attention that is given to the story is really disappointing.

Sums up my thoughts on both quite well.

My hours on Div 2 are overtaking the first, but it's baffling to see its narrative take such a direction that ignores any follow up to Aaron Keener's antics (until EP 3) while meandering with what the Black Tusk are up to.

No character here holds a candle to the BoO folks in Div 1, and Manny needs to shut the fuck up.

Division 2: better game mechanically in every way, and a better world map in terms of layout.

Division 1: better atmosphere and story.

The sequel isn't compelling because it rarely feels a if you're participating in a disaster response effort. The lack of JTF units operating around the city. Even Division safehouses being abandoned. The colonies of civilians never go anywhere story wise.

The series in general has a problem with generic, uninteresting enemies. By part 2 it just got too repetitive.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Division 2 is better than D1 if you count how both games launched. D1 was miserable until they shaped it up. But the settiing and atmosphere of D1 is far superior and with all of its updates D1 has more meaningful content. D2 has the potential to surpass D1 but Ubi has to ptut he work in like the did 1. I really really hope they do Make part 3 and the bring back what made part 1 so good.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
The thing to remember is most people are comparing Division 1 end state to Division 2 before the first year is up. Division 1's lowest lows were far worse than Division 2s so far, with really dreadful grinds, overpowered shotgunner NPCs and completely toxic PVP metas. Its end state corrected most, if not all of this, but as someone who played through all of it, it's important to remember that...it really sucked sometimes.

It would have been nice if Div 2 launched with every mode and every lesson learned from Div 1, but that's probably not realistic. For those that gave up on Div 2 early, I recommend hopping back in. There was recently a large update that re-balanced a lot, dropped time to kill of PVE content, added in Target Loot (so you can do specific missions/areas/content to go after specific brands or gear/weapon types) etc. The build variety is far, far better now than it was, and the time it takes to put together a decent build when in World Tier 5 is more like a couple of hours instead of a month of cursing RNG.

Pros of Division 1:
- Winter in New York was, and still is, a unique setting.
- Partly because it was a new IP/world, and partly because the writing was just better, a lot of the lore/collectibles were more interesting.
- Very simple loot grind (in its final state). There were very clear paths to builds (mostly centered on Gear Sets) and if you get an okay piece you can grind to improve it. Division 2 doesn't have optimization (at least yet) and the RNG is far more extreme. That said, Div 1 added optimization in its final stretch as a game, as adding it early would cancel a lot of the reasons to grind. So it's hard to say this will remain the same.
- PVP has a higher time to kill and the Dark Zone is far larger, allowing better players to dominate Dark Zones/gives time for skill to really shine and win encounters. In Division 2, the time to kill is small enough that it's really hard to dominate in the same way - if you're being focused by a couple of players, you're probably out of it. I would say Div 2 PVP is far inferior in modes, moment-to-moment gameplay and areas to do battle in.
- Because the game had a multi-year life already, it gained some important modes that make it seem like the superior game in endgame: Last Stand (more interesting PVP mode), Survival (repeatable timed mode, with elements regarding temperature, hunger, thirst), Underground (repeatable timed mode with procedurally-generated areas) and Resistance (kind of like Horde mode - though it felt under-developed to me).
- The Global Events were fun for endgame, as they forced player to play differently - things that modified headshot damage, or caused NPS to explode or favoured close combat/vs far etc. Once everyone had their preferred builds, at least this gave us reason to change 'em up. Loot wise, it wasn't as good as Targeted Loot is these days, though.

Pros of Division 2:
- The mission design, in-mission locations and combat encounters are far superior in variety and tension.
- The NPC's tactics are far superior (they flank, they rush, you have to adapt, etc.). Basically, Div 2's PVE content feels like a step further past Resistance Mode in Div 1.
- More open world activities to do once the game is over.
- In early endgame, it's far better - there's an entire map reset, variations on missions, repeatable open world activities, etc.
- Basically, I'd say the Level 1 to endgame experience is far superior, outside of the fact that the setting isn't as interesting.
- It has a raid with more coming. While granted, this is for a small userbase, as someone who has completed it dozens of times, it is, to me, far more fun to group up with people to coordinate trying to beat it faster than any content in Div 1's (PVE) endgame was. It went from "everyone have DPS and good aim" to finish the raid, to coordinating timed shots with a variety of support builds to finish it fast. It isn't a perfect raid, but as the DPS raid, it's fun. I hope the next one is a little more mechanics heavy and a little less about DPS/sponginess.
- Newly added Targeted Loot gives players a lot of reasons to log in daily - you can seek out specific builds pretty easily now, though RNG makes Chests and Backpacks pretty tough to min max still. It's a bandaid to a problem of RNG is still pretty intense on some items, but it does indeed help a lot.
- Division 1's endstate really amounted to chasing one of a handful of builds with little room for creativity (Striker, Reclaimer, Predator's Mark, The House, etc.), especially when going after Legendary or Incursion content. Division 2, right now, feels more balanced with guns and gear. Most brand sets can roll most talents, most guns in a class are within reasonable proximity of each other in power levels, etc. Basically, if you have a build that more or less works together towards an idea (DPS or Skill damage or triggering a status effect before doing damage), it will be viable in all but the Raid.
- Hardcore mode drops tomorrow. Permadeath. This will completely change the feel of Division PVE content. As it stands, it feels like Rambo in endgame, with zero consequence to dying. Permadeath should make combat encounters and builds change up quite a bit. Again, a niche mode, but it should make the game interesting for streamers and those of us who play the game still and are looking for a different feel.

So yeah, Div 2 won't match Div 1 in atmosphere, seems like everyone agrees. Other than that, I'd say that it currently mostly trails Div 1 in modes/particularly *interesting* repeatable content and PVP. But those things weren't at launch for Div 1 either, and most of them only became particularly fun to play towards the end of the game's life when it had settled and fixed everything. The devs have said that there's more modes/content coming after episode 3 (expected in January), and that repeatable activities for PVE and PVP/DZ balancing alike are a focus.

My hope is that 6 months from now it'll be "Division 2 is better in every way but setting to Division 1." Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Division 2 is a better all around game because they made so many QoL improvements over the first game (except the Dark Zone, which is a bit of a step back), but Division 1's snowy NYC atmosphere was infinitely more atmospheric and interesting. The blizzards in the first game were mindblowing.

I get why they went with a summer setting for D2, but I actually think D2 looks worse than D1 did. The snow made a huge difference. D2 also has some of the worst and most noticeable texture pop-in I have ever seen in a game, whereas I hardly remember seeing any in D1.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I played Division 1 for probably 300 hours or so, Division 2 I got to the max level (standard level 30 or whatever) and never touched it again. It just wasn't anywhere near as good.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Old thread, but it got me interested in these games. With them currently being on sale on PSN, Is just the base games enough to enjoy 'em or should I splurge?

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The Division 1 wins in atmosphere.

The Division 2 wins in everything else, at least for me.

I keep saying that Division in Tokyo + Snow would be a 100/10 game.

Old thread, but it got me interested in these games. With them currently being on sale on PSN, Is just the base games enough to enjoy 'em or should I splurge?

Base Games are fine, in Div 2 you can play almost everything without the SP. Division 1 has some extra modes but are not necesary.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Crazy to think that with all the work they put in to improving the systems and content for Division 2, then game was essentially sunk early in development when they decided to abandon a snowy New York setting.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I came here to praise how greatly they recreated NYC as a fellow New Yorker, but you don't seem to think that way lol I mean obviously it's missing a bunch of blocks but honestly I'm yet to see a more realistic version of NYC in a video game (and yes I have played the new Spider Man).

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
The D1 is a much better game, with a more interesting world, and crucially the very excellent survival mode that I will play forever as long as the servers are still running. I was excited for D2 but just couldn't get into it.

Grassy

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought Division 2 today in the EGS sale, $18 for the Ultimate Edition. I really liked the Division 1, so for that price I couldn't turn it down.