• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
If you're driving on 295, please be prepared for icy conditions. It seems the streets of DC are currently covered in snowflakes.

In truth as a guy who was into radical politics in DC for a large chunk of my youth, watching the proud boys get wrecked by BIKE COPS is endlessly entertaining.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017
Not the immediate worry, but now I can just see the virus emanating out from DC for us around. And all things considered DC's been doing pretty good.

They can't let our representatives back in the Capitol without a super cleaning that place is toxic.

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The DC police may have caved to terrorists attacking the capital but if those people had been caught speeding on one of their traffic cameras, you can bet that the police would have charged them with lightning fast speed.

LouieGeetoo

Oct 27, 2017
The DC police may have caved to terrorists attacking the capital but if those people had been caught speeding on one of their traffic cameras, you can bet that the police would have charged them with lightning fast speed.
AFAIK, DC city police aren't responsible for protecting the Capitol building and grounds, and probably aren't even allowed to. That's the jurisdiction of Capitol Police.

EDIT: I guess city police did help with the Capitol Building situation? Jurisdiction is confusing.

Last edited:

Hattoto

Jun 26, 2020
Does anyone know any plant nurseries in the area that take in indoor house plants for rescuing?

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
DC isn't a swamp. It's that all the other parts of the country flush their filth down to here. These chuds need to get out of here. My coworker from Connecticut was down to oversee a construction project and there were a bunch of maskless Trump assholes at his hotel at Pentagon City.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

hm can somebody explain this? L through Independence and 3 to 20 is.... all of DC downtown. how do i commute lol

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Is the whole city basically locked down? My husband used to work on F Street so we're very happy he's been WFH for the past year.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ya so i ride a bike to work and they just wouldn't let me through, had to go around this morning

but then in afternoon coming home i was basically able to take my normal route???

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else get woken up around 2am by a lot of jet activity? Several fighter jets went over and then something huge (probably a transport).

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
street closures are actually just getting stupid at this point

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck are you gonna make a DMV OT without including the food of our people?

o.jpg

Amen.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone doing anything for inauguration tomorrow?

Murderland

sorry

Sorry, not sorry.
It's a shame because it has some really cool Art Deco architecture and the harbor area is pretty cool. Oh, and has one of the best hospitals in the world.
But it also has a park that's notorious for how many bodies are dumped there.

Edit: Just going to watch the inauguration on TV. Is there anyone on here who lives in the restricted area?

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the latest map said that oh actually there will be parts of the zone you can come in from, so I may F around and find out tomorrow, not sure yet

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Sorry, not sorry.
It's a shame because it has some really cool Art Deco architecture and the harbor area is pretty cool. Oh, and has one of the best hospitals in the world.
But it also has a park that's notorious for how many bodies are dumped there.

Edit: Just going to watch the inauguration on TV. Is there anyone on here who lives in the restricted area?

I actually quite like Baltimore. Lots of fun places!

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Wanted to thank everyone for the driving roads recs. Didn't get to use any as a car deal fell through but hope for better luck in the future.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
literally all i'm saying is, would it have killed them to leave the decorations up for, like, a f*cking day? like, they're basically 65% gone and they haven't even taken fences down yet

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
last updates i saw today said that models have quickly changed their minds and said 0 inches
Sigh. My hourly forecast is still showing overnight snow Wednesday, which could accumulate a bit since it'll be 29 or so. But I'll wait and see what the Capital Weather Gang says this week.

Have we discussed yet what a treasure the Capital Weather Gang is? I love reading their explanations

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Sheesh, in the (IT) job market down here it seems like things are impossible if you don't have a clearance.

Every job either requires a clearance or that you know somebody or has 300+ applicants within a day.

And of course a clearance requires you to know somebody or have a job that requires one already.

Just venting. Gotta snag something soon because I'll have to move in a couple months if not!

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Sheesh, in the (IT) job market down here it seems like things are impossible if you don't have a clearance.

Every job either requires a clearance or that you know somebody or has 300+ applicants within a day.

And of course a clearance requires you to know somebody or have a job that requires one already.

Just venting. Gotta snag something soon because I'll have to move in a couple months if not!

I ran into that when I switched to Government contracting from private. It's a catch-22 and I know how frustrating it is. I ended up working for one of the big defense contractors who put me into a Secret position and then moved me up later.

Sigh. My hourly forecast is still showing overnight snow Wednesday, which could accumulate a bit since it'll be 29 or so. But I'll wait and see what the Capital Weather Gang says this week.

Have we discussed yet what a treasure the Capital Weather Gang is? I love reading their explanations

I am getting 1/2" tonight and now nothing the rest of the week. Boooo

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA

Hopefully you can find one that will hire/sponsor for clearance. They are out there. In which area(s) are you looking? And what sort of job, exactly?
It's difficult, too, because I think once people get into that realm, they tend to shift around the community. The pay bump is definitely attractive. But what that means is many positions they don't want to spend the money to bring someone in and then have to fund the clearance process, especially if there's already someone out there who's qualified/cleared. It's tens of thousands of dollars for them.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Was looking at census data for our area and noticed that the population growth of Fairfax County in the last 10 years (6.1%) has not only lagged vastly behind Arlington County (14%), Prince William County (17%), and DC (17.3%), but we're actually growing more slowly than the state of VA as a whole (6.7%).
This is baffling to me - the economy is good here so you think it'd attract a similar level of growth but that hasn't been the case over the past 10 years.
My uneducated guess is that Fairfax County has become expensive enough to push many people out to PW and Loudoun yet it's not a desirable place to live for more affluent people who choose to move to Arlington or DC. But that's just a guess - I'd like to dig more into the data and see how the housing supply has changed during that time in comparison to surrounding areas.
To me it feels like there has been a lot of housing development over the past decade, but I don't think it's been enough to bring down prices. There's plenty of opportunity to increase density and walkability here - ideally we'd have half a dozen areas like the mosaic district in this county.

Data is here. Would love to hear if anyone else has insights

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Was looking at census data for our area and noticed that the population growth of Fairfax County in the last 10 years (6.1%) has not only lagged vastly behind Arlington County (14%), Prince William County (17%), and DC (17.3%), but we're actually growing more slowly than the state of VA as a whole (6.7%).
This is baffling to me - the economy is good here so you think it'd attract a similar level of growth but that hasn't been the case over the past 10 years.
My uneducated guess is that Fairfax County has become expensive enough to push many people out to PW and Loudoun yet it's not a desirable place to live for more affluent people who choose to move to Arlington or DC. But that's just a guess - I'd like to dig more into the data and see how the housing supply has changed during that time in comparison to surrounding areas.
To me it feels like there has been a lot of housing development over the past decade, but I don't think it's been enough to bring down prices. There's plenty of opportunity to increase density and walkability here - ideally we'd have half a dozen areas like the mosaic district in this county.

My off-the-cuff guess is that it's related to density and access to the district. Arlington has seen a TON of new construction around the metro corridors and has become the defacto place to live if you're young, want to be near the district and nightlife, but don't want to actually be IN the district.

I'm not as familiar with PW & Loudon but maybe they're just benefiting from having more affordable single family housing stock? Like, if you want to be near the district you can get an apartment in Arlington. If you want to get more.for your money you buy a house in Loudon. Fairfax is a strange in-between -- more expensive than Loudon & PW but not as accessible to the district & public transit as Arlington.

Fairfax is upzoning and developing quickly around the silver line corridor, which will probably be appealing to folks who work in Reston. But like...who wants to live AT Tyson's Corner? It's a good mall, but c'mon.

A lot of FCPS teachers I know live in Loudon because it's cheaper and they wanted space for kids. The ones who owned homes in Fairfax bought 10+ years ago.

Last edited:

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017

Our transportation access sucks relative to Alexandria and we're not cheap enough to be worth the tradeoff of living farther out, IMO. As someone living in Burke, I've got to drive 20-30 minutes just to reach the metro, and that's another 40 minutes to get into DC. Highways are a good 20 minutes of driving on Fairfax County Parkway or local roads to reach 495. The only saving grace for where I live is that the VRE station is within a mile's walking distance but it's pricey just to get to the regular metro stations and much more roundabout than just driving where I want to go to boot. Maybe with Amazon's headquarters being right by the VRE we might get some more investment in public transport to make the area more attractive.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
My off-the-cuff guess is that it's related to density and access to the district. Arlington has seen a TON of new construction around the metro corridors and has become the defacto place to live if you're young, want to be near the district and nightlife, but don't want to actually be IN the district.

I'm not as familiar with PW & Loudon but maybe they're just benefiting from having more affordable single family housing stock? Like, if you want to be near the district you can get an apartment in Arlington. If you want to get more.for your money you buy a house in Loudon. Fairfax is a strange in-between -- more expensive than Loudon & PW but not as accessible to the district & public transit as Arlington.

Fairfax is upzoning and developing quickly around the silver line corridor, which will probably be appealing to folks who work in Reston. But like...who wants to live AT Tyson's Corner? It's a good mall, but c'mon.

A lot of FCPS teachers I know live in Loudon because it's cheaper and they wanted space for kids. The ones who owned homes in Fairfax bought 10+ years ago.

You're probably right about the housing in the outlying counties - many people can't afford to buy in Fairfax anymore, especially if they want more space. Though prices in Loudoun are barely lower than Fairfax anymore ($508k vs $563k for the median value) - but I'd also bet that the price/sqft is still lower in Loudoun.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
What's the night looking like where y'all are at?

I'm near Fairfax and there's some snow mixing in with the rain and ice pellets now.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I had freezing rain and now snow, but I don't think it's going to amount to much. I'm up in Germantown.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Hopefully you can find one that will hire/sponsor for clearance. They are out there. In which area(s) are you looking? And what sort of job, exactly?
It's difficult, too, because I think once people get into that realm, they tend to shift around the community. The pay bump is definitely attractive. But what that means is many positions they don't want to spend the money to bring someone in and then have to fund the clearance process, especially if there's already someone out there who's qualified/cleared. It's tens of thousands of dollars for them.
Currently live in College Park (basically), so I've applied around and including DC and NoVA. I have experience in System Administration for large organizations so I'm sure something will bite eventually! I hope!