• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
As far as WV, I've only been to Snowshoe and that was a long time ago. It was, at the time, the best skiing in the area - although it's pretty far away.
Most of the other areas are barely mountains covered in ice. I have nerve damage and can't ski anymore though so I'm pretty out of the loop.

Yeah our friends that want to go say it's way better than what's around here. I've only been to liberty and massanothin'. Also made me realize I've never been to a good resort with long runs.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
Whats your guys favorite thing to do on the eastern shore? Favorite vacation spots/restaurants etc

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
anyone know any good driving spots in MD? Like Top Gear widely roads? I normally go up garrison forest in Baltimore city/County

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah our friends that want to go say it's way better than what's around here. I've only been to liberty and massanothin'. Also made me realize I've never been to a good resort with long runs.

I've hit every ski area around here, and then I made the mistake of going to Colorado. Turns out skiing is a lot easier on snow. LOL
And also a lot more fun when you are actually skiing and not riding lifts constantly.

Whats your guys favorite thing to do on the eastern shore? Favorite vacation spots/restaurants etc

My inlaws have a house in Rehoboth Beach so we go up there even in winter. It was a lot more fun before COVID of course, but there's a ton of good restaurants. We get take out or eat outside in the cold and pretend we're at a ski resort.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
National Harbor here! I've been here for 7+ years, moved from Hampton Roads. My wife loves it there and I love it here so we're at a fork in the road. I'll never live in Richmond and neither will she, so we're just chilling for the moment. LOL

The fact that the nearest CookOut is 70 miles away is .. :(

Don't get me started. Nearest Waffle House is in Dumfries? UGH. And then CookOut is 25+ miles from there? UGH UGH.

Trying to decide on what to eat tonight; in the mood to try something different, but I'm not driving into the city. Too cold for all of that. LOL

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i saw the planets from my doorstep, i'm basically neil degrasse tyson now

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
anyone know any good driving spots in MD? Like Top Gear widely roads? I normally go up garrison forest in Baltimore city/County

From Baltimore if you take Falls Rd up to Alesia/Lineboro area, then take Traceys Mill Rd to go west, right on 30, left on E Deep Run Rd. If you follow all the way to Old Hanover, you'll be right next to 97. If you head south, then left on 496 (Bachmans Valley Rd), you can take that a ways and turn left on Saw Mill Rd E, which turns into Rinehart Rd. This will then, surprise, come back to Deep Run Rd E. So you have yourself a loop. You can fairly easily get back to Falls Rd, Westminster (if you know your way out/around there... I do not), or even drop all the way down from 97 onto 70.

Those roads are some of my favorite on a bike. I saw the only Ducati Desmosedici I've ever seen in the region. Falls Rd, by its location, will sometimes have exotics on it. I can tell of some others leading back toward Frederick county, but not sure if you're interested.

Edit: not sure I'd call them Top Gear roads. If you make the drive to Berkeley Springs, WV, and go down route 9 to the "fork" and back up, that's semi Top Gear-like!

Last edited:

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure my house is going to float away.
This rain is crazy.

Edit: Sweet, now I have mud - soon to be frozen mud.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2018
MD's notorious humidity makes it feel like mid-40s where I'm at. Didn't even have to wrap up on my 7-11 run, just threw on an old hoodie.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
Shoutout to the fake mall set in Fairfax County that is the setting for an action sequence at the beginning of Wonder Woman: 1984.

pollo

Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I bout to get some Christmas dinner (takeout obviously) at Taste of Hong Kong

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
I love scootin' around Arlington but damn when it's cold you REALLY feel that shit. Need to start remembering to wear gloves.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
So I may be accepting a job in Rockville over the next couple days and would need to move to the area. Anyone in Rockville who could suggest what would be good neighborhoods to look for apartments? I would ideally be looking for rent around 2k a month (based on what I have seen from my brief searches).

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
Sup y'all. St. Louisan here that misses the fuck outta some Georgetown Cupcakes.

i lived in Arlington for a couple years and northside was my main haunt. I miss that comfy place.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
So I may be accepting a job in Rockville over the next couple days and would need to move to the area. Anyone in Rockville who could suggest what would be good neighborhoods to look for apartments? I would ideally be looking for rent around 2k a month (based on what I have seen from my brief searches).

I grew up in Rockville, but it's changed so much I don't know much anymore. The White Flint area has been crazy with development, and downtown Rockville, near the court house, has nice apartments now and shops/restaurants. Both have easy access to Metro.
Hopefully someone else lives there currently and can give more insight.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for all the driving road recs. Can't way to try some out. Was getting some numbers for a Subaru BRZ but it fell through so hope to get a GTI or something.

Threadkular

Dec 29, 2017

In general, that part of Montgomery County is super well to do and anywhere you stay is going to be pretty nice and fairly safe. Especially since you're going in comfortable with the high rent. There's lots of grocery stores (Wegmans apparently coming soon), good variety of restaurants, and a Microcenter!

If you have kids the schools are like top in the country (though I guess that adds competitiveness/anxiety for the kids to take on)

If anything the only downside I'd complain about living there out of college was the general older population being somewhat suburban and high cost of living. It's great now though. And you can always take the Red line to Dupont or Addams Morgan if nightlife is still your thing.

Long term it may also get overpopulated as they keep developing more and more, but no need to worry about it now. Amazon East had here as a potential spot but that's definitely not happening thank god.

Last edited:

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
In general, that part of Montgomery County is super well to do and anywhere you stay is going to be pretty nice and fairly safe. Especially since you're going in comfortable with the high rent. There's lots of grocery stores (Wegmans apparently coming soon), good variety of restaurants, and a Microcenter!

If you have kids the schools are like top in the country (though I guess that adds competitiveness/anxiety for the kids to take on)

If anything the only downside I'd complain about living there out of college was the general older population being somewhat suburban and high cost of living. It's great now though. And you can always take the Red line to Dupont or Addams Morgan if nightlife is still your thing.

Long term it may also get overpopulated as they keep developing more and more, but no need to worry about it now. Amazon East had here as a potential spot but that's definitely not happening thank god.
Thanks for info. I am from Buffalo so I will not lie I looked into what the Wegmans status was as one of my first bits of research, haha.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Haha, well regardless there's one 15-20 mins north of Rockville in Germantown. Though live down here long enough and that'll seem like a "long drive".

I live in Germantown. -_-
We're a glorified truck stop with a massive population and nearly every restaurant is a chain - and not the good ones. And you know what every town center needs in the middle of it? A Mercedes Benz dealership. They redid the town center and instead of making it all shops, apts, and restaurants like Rockville and Crown Farm have been doing, they plunked a car dealer right in the middle.
They also decided that building a massive eyesore called Top Golf was just what our already fugly suburban hellscape needed. Now the ugliness towers over the area which I guess completes the look they were going for.
If you can't tell, I hate it here and I live in the nice part over by the soccer park.

COVID has made the drive to Rockville way easier though...

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
It's probably far for you but around Harper's Ferry there are some amazing backroads to drive. Western Maryland has the best drivers roads in the state.

Can you name any particular ones? I like Harpers Ferry Rd (Maryland side) that comes out by the C&O Canal. Backroads around there can also be a good way to get to Shepherdstown, WV (a liberal hippy college town in...West Virginia).

I live in Germantown. -_-
We're a glorified truck stop with a massive population and nearly every restaurant is a chain - and not the good ones. And you know what every town center needs in the middle of it? A Mercedes Benz dealership. They redid the town center and instead of making it all shops, apts, and restaurants like Rockville and Crown Farm have been doing, they plunked a car dealer right in the middle.
They also decided that building a massive eyesore called Top Golf was just what our already fugly suburban hellscape needed. Now the ugliness towers over the area which I guess completes the look they were going for.
If you can't tell, I hate it here and I live in the nice part over by the soccer park.

COVID has made the drive to Rockville way easier though...

That Top Golf netting thing has been up for some small eternity I feel like. I had no idea what it was for. When I was told a Top Golf opened in Germantown, my response was, "Where???"
I have to say it doesn't feel like there's much of a "town"/shop feel to me between here (Frederick) and Bethesda. Did I miss somewhere in-between? I've heard the phrase "downtown Gaithersburg" before, but image searching that pulls up results that look like a shopping center/mall.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Can you name any particular ones? I like Harpers Ferry Rd (Maryland side) that comes out by the C&O Canal. Backroads around there can also be a good way to get to Shepherdstown, WV (a liberal hippy college town in...West Virginia).

That Top Golf netting thing has been up for some small eternity I feel like. I had no idea what it was for. When I was told a Top Golf opened in Germantown, my response was, "Where???"
I have to say it doesn't feel like there's much of a "town"/shop feel to me between here (Frederick) and Bethesda. Did I miss somewhere in-between? I've heard the phrase "downtown Gaithersburg" before, but image searching that pulls up results that look like a shopping center/mall.

The newest part of Gaithersburg is an area called Crown Farm. It's pretty upscale, lots of shops, restaurants and housing. They are still building sections of it. The actual town center of Gburg is not great.
Urbana is super built up now too and that's between Frederick and Germantown.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
The newest part of Gaithersburg is an area called Crown Farm. It's pretty upscale, lots of shops, restaurants and housing. They are still building sections of it. The actual town center of Gburg is not great.
Urbana is super built up now too and that's between Frederick and Germantown.

Pumpernickel and Rye in Urbana is apparently good (for what it is). If you haven't checked it out, I'd recommend Monocacy Crossing.

OP
OP
Pikachu

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i ride a bike to and fro work on streets that are closed

hmmmm