• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Oh hi, ResetEra!
1Mp2xe9.png

The real life story of writer/director Tommy Wiseau, the man behind what is often referred to as "The Citizen Kane of Bad Movies," The Room, is brought to life, chronicling the odd film's troubled development and eventual cult success.

What the hell is this?

The Disaster Artist is a film based on a book of the same name, which is based on the filming of cult classic, The Room.

That doesn't help me at all.

If you're unfamiliar with the original film, I recommend getting acquainted with it beforehand! Tommy Wiseau (director of the original) says that The Disaster Artist can be enjoyed without it, but I think your experience will be a lot more fulfilling, if you see The Room first.

Here's one of the most famous scenes from The Room to give you an idea of what it's like. It's quite common to watch the film in a group of people (better yet, they do live screenings monthly in many cities in the US) and riff the film. It has a similar culture to Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Okay, I've seen the The Room. Can I see this now?

You're all set! If you want to see the source material for this film, I recommend listening to the audiobook version read by Greg Sestero himself! He does imitations of Tommy (which are perfect) and his mother (with her French accent), and that makes it a lot more fun than just reading it, I feel.

Is this like a typical James Franco/Seth Rogen film?

The intended audience for this film is a bit different. I, myself, am not a fan of his typically, but they've put a lot of work into this to accurately depict the weirdness of The Room's development.

Cast
y5Cf0Ha.jpg

James Franco - Tommy Wiseau ("Johnny" in The Room)
Dave Franco - Greg Sestero (Mark)
Ari Graynor - Juliette Danielle (Lisa)
Josh Hutcherson - Philip Haldiman (Denny)
Jacki Weaver - Carolyn Minnott (Claudette)
Seth Rogen - Sandy
Zac Efron - Dan Janjigian (Chris-R)
June Diane Raphael - Robyn Paris (Michelle)
Andrew Santino - Scott Holmes (Mike)
Nathan Fielder - Kyle Vogt (Peter)
Megan Mullally - Mrs. Sestero
Sharon Stone - Iris Burton
Also appearing : Bob Odenkirk, Tommy Wiseau, Greg Sestero, Lizzy Caplan, Hannibal Buress, Adam Scott, J.J. Abrams, Judd Apatow, Zach Braff, Bryan Cranston,

I can't find who's playing Steven, so maybe he's cut from the film. It makes sense, since he wasn't supposed to be in the The Room and just randomly replaces Peter, anyway.

Directed by James Franco

Trailers

Release Date
Australia 30 November 2017
UK 1 December 2017 (limited)
Ireland 1 December 2017
USA 1 December 2017 (limited)
UK 6 December 2017
Philippines 6 December 2017
USA 8 December 2017
Argentina 21 December 2017
Netherlands 21 December 2017
Mexico 22 December 2017
Spain 29 December 2017
Germany 2 January 2018
Portugal 4 January 2018
Finland 12 January 2018
Norway 12 January 2018
Brazil 25 January 2018
Greece 25 January 2018
Poland 26 January 2018
Denmark 1 February 2018
Sweden 9 February 2018
Nothing yet, Japan, sorry. ( ノД`)シクシク…

Reviews
Rotten Tomatoes: 95% | Metacritic: 78
(Click for more up to date reviews)
Review thread on Era

Extra: Inside Jokes for The Room Viewing
A Viewer's Guide To The Room

Ddijn8l.jpg

Hi, doggie!
You're my favorite customer.
Bye.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for this movie. Haven't seen the Room in film but enough reviews and clips to be familiar with it.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
This is my first OT, and I can't use photoshop. Please don't tear me apart. If you'd like anything added or fixed, please let me know!

--

For fans of The Room wondering how things stack up, here's a comparison video of a few scenes. Some are a bit too much, but I'm mostly impressed.

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the Room when I get home tonight. Gonna try and see this sometime this weekend.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Super excited for this.
Been meaning to read the book but haven't gotten around to it.
Just showed my bf The Room with Rifftrax a month ago so we're ready for watching this weekend!

OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
You want five fucking minutes Denny?
Bp84PnA.jpg

Chris-R is played by Zac Efron.

Super excited for this.
Been meaning to read the book but haven't gotten around to it.
Just showed my bf The Room with Rifftrax a month ago so we're ready for watching this weekend!
As I recommended in the OP, the best way to experience the book is the audiobook read by Greg Sestero. His imitations of other people (like Tommy and his mother) are gold.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not releasing here. Its not. Its bullshit.

Theater owners betray me.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you fed up with this world?

I am. Hahahahaha.

:(

It's supposed to open up wider next week

Nah its not coming here (India) at all. Usually smaller/indie films like these only get releases if they get Oscar noms. So either it will get released around Feb/March if it gets a few nods or not at all.

Which means I gotta wait for a blu ray most likely. Which fucking sucks cause I really REALLY wanted to see this. The room is one my absolute favorites. :(

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You just reminded me that I've been meaning to pick this up on audible. Thanks.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
You know, they say that, um...chocolate. Is the symbol. Of love.

I've been waiting so long for this film

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I saw this film at TIFF earlier this year, and my goodness it is AMAZING.
Lives up to all the hype and then some. It's a great film and definitely deserves whatever awards it gets nominated for.

At the premiere, it was said perfectly:

"If you've never seen the room, this movie is a great prequel. If you have seen the room, this movie makes a great sequel."

See it as soon as you can, it's incredible.

THERE ARE POST CREDIT SCENES. If the cut is the same as the premiere, the whole run of the credits has the side-by-side shot comparisons from the original film and what they filmed for The Disaster Artist, and then there is also another scene after the credits finish... and it's great. Anyways, hows your sex life?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aurica

Aurica

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Anyone planning to see the movie tonight, don't plan too much. It may not come out right.
I'm so happy to have this OT and that I love Lisa so much
Yeah, man. Yeah, you are very lucky.
Me underwears.
My favorite things to yell in screenings at this part are "Fuck you, Mike!" or the classic "Sestosterone!"
I tell people at screenings my theory is that when Mark causes people to fall, they lose their role in the film.
•Mike loses his ability to speak.
•Peter disappears forever (likely dead)
Hell, him pushing Tommy is likely what really kills him.

Last edited:

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it tonight. I loved it. Still can't believe this movie actually happened.

I also just noticed this: The Room is the best selling "romance" Blu-ray on Amazon, and the DVD is #15 overall!

MLVhylr.png

(though I will never buy the Blu-ray after what Tommy did to the cover)

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am. Hahahahaha.

:(

Nah its not coming here (India) at all. Usually smaller/indie films like these only get releases if they get Oscar noms. So either it will get released around Feb/March if it gets a few nods or not at all.

Which means I gotta wait for a blu ray most likely. Which fucking sucks cause I really REALLY wanted to see this. The room is one my absolute favorites. :(

Nice to see another Indian here, which part of the country you at?
But ya, it's kinda sad it's not releasing here but would people even go? I mean I don't think most folks here are savvy enough to GET the film
Then again, it's a movie about how another terrible movie was made so it could be "educational" in a way or just a story of this weird guy from America/Poland

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Is there any mention of when a home release is likely? I have been hearing about The Room for years and the trailer for TDA pushed me over the edge, but I want to watch them both one after another.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
The UK release date is today, but the cinemas near me are only listing showings for the 6th and 7th December. I guess it'll be having a limited release? Will have to try and go after work on one of those days.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Beyond excited for this. Tempted to get a black wig and turn up with my copy of the book

The UK release date is today, but the cinemas near me are only listing showings for the 6th and 7th December. I guess it'll be having a limited release? Will have to try and go after work on one of those days.

Yep, 1st Dec limited release (likely around London). I know some cinemas had it as exclusive screenings at the start of this week. 6th Dec is the proper release date across the whole UK.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen The Room. Is it streaming on like Netflix or something?
If you have a local indie theatre they may doing showings of it occasionally, its a movie you really want to see with other people around. its not great to watch on your own but with friends or strangers to laugh and react at the strange genius of it all its really a very fun experience. There is nothing quite like it.