• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yea I initially loved the game and its super mysterious atmosphere, and played it quite a lot (without ever getting a trophy, wtf) but then hit a puzzle which I just couldn't solve even after hours, and I didn't feel like looking it up on the internet, so I just quit and deleted the game from my PS4.

Thematically this game is right up my alley, but some puzzles are just a drag and really mess up the pacing and with this the whole feel of the game.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't find the act of solving a puzzle its own reward, then it's definitely not for you.
It's rewarding up until the point where you just feel like you're getting stuck on every major path, and even when you solve a puzzle you just get stuck again on the subsequent one.

OP
OP

Z-oo31

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
BTW, my progress so far is erecting two laser beam towers. I only just got the game from Epic's free giveaway.

I think what makes this tedious for me is the fact that many of the puzzles have a single solution.

Whereas puzzle games like Infinifactory are a lot more enjoyable because players can come up with various solutions to reach the same end goal.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sticking with the same mechanic for literally every puzzle in the game didn't work for me. It's the polar opposite of something like Super Mario Odyssey, which is constantly pushing you forward with new mechanics.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I loved this game, but I wish the world had more meaning... the tapes/recordings just made me roll my eyes.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
The Witness is my Game of the Generation so far. I was incredibly engrossed in the experience from beginning to end.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
BTW, my progress so far is erecting two laser beam towers. I only just got the game from Epic's free giveaway.

I think what makes this tedious for me is the fact that many of the puzzles have a single solution.

Whereas puzzle games like Infinifactory are a lot more enjoyable because players can come up with various solutions to reach the same end goal.
This game is more about learning how to read and decipher a language than it is about learning how to speak it, if you get my meaning.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the game a lot. Maybe it's just me but it was the Tetris puzzles that turned me off. I felt like it was the only part where the tutorials failed to really explain it. I had to look up the rules for it since I just couldnt get around understanding it

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
It's rewarding up until the point where you just feel like you're getting stuck on every major path, and even when you solve a puzzle you just get stuck again on the subsequent one.
thats how it is with puzzles that increase difficulty as you go

gotta chew over the problems sometimes

thats why i like hard sudoku puzzles where they give you only, like, 25 numbers filled it

gotta think about it for a while, and it feels good when i eventually hit a stride filling them in

Jan 11, 2018
Probably my second favorite puzzle game of all time behind Portal 2. Definitely not a game for everyone though, so I get the complaints.

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The game needed some kind of codex to track the 'rules' so to speak of the different puzzles (after you get through them, of course). I took a couple month long break from the game and trying to pick up where I left off was literally impossible. It had all left my head by that point. I guess that's sort of the crux of the game, for better or worse. It makes zero effort to usher the player through its content. You either get it or you don't and tough shit if you don't.

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jonathan Blow should put an easy mode so anyone can complete the puzzles and reach the end of the game.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I enjoyed the game a lot. Maybe it's just me but it was the Tetris puzzles that turned me off. I felt like it was the only part where the tutorials failed to really explain it. I had to look up the rules for it since I just couldnt get around understanding it

It's not just you. When I ended up looking into them, it seemed like their rule set is what people were stuck on the most.

I kept a notepad nearby and every time I thought I had it, I was wrong again. I eventually looked up at least 5 to 10 solutions in a row, without it making sense to me I should add, and lost interest.

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, it's pretty great all around, though the real highlight of the game is the exploration and learning about the rules of the world.

I played this and Talos Principle back-to-back, and still haven't decided which of the two is my favorite puzzle game of all time (probably Talos).

BTM

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
completing the timed challenge thing with the music was amazing

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't disagree any more. The amount of variation they got out of line puzzles is immense. Also your progression in the game world is tied only to your knowledge of the game rules not any arbitrary gating which is genius. Some of the "environmental" puzzles are reaching a bit and the last sequence for getting 100% is serious bullshit but overall it's a splendid, unique, clever game

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
The game is amazingly great, on several levels. There are so many holy shit moments in it, it's impossible not to respect Blow and the rest of the team.

It's a masterpiece. Period.

To those who say it's not rewarding or satisfying...you never ended "the challenge", did you? I still have goosebumps when i hear that song..
I think that there's no way that people who are unhappy with the game would get to that part.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
completing the timed challenge thing with the music was amazing
i really liked when
i found out the puzzle you complete right before the "invisible" maze ends up being the path you take

Last edited:

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Sticking with the same mechanic for literally every puzzle in the game didn't work for me. It's the polar opposite of something like Super Mario Odyssey, which is constantly pushing you forward with new mechanics.

If you think the mechanics in each puzzle set don't change I'm not sure what game you're playing. It's like saying every level in Mario is the same because you jump and run.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I think the world design and how the puzzles bleed into the world is amazing but the puzzles themselves are awful and unfun.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Super satisfying until it becomes completely inaccessible.

Made by one mind, for one kind of mind. Admirable, but cold game, absolute chore after just a few hours.

xillyriax

Game Test Analyst
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
The sound puzzle
where you have to go by the pitch of the bird chirps
frustrated me to no end cuz I think my tv speakers where too shit to really cleanly deduce it and made me drop it. I was really enjoying it up to that, but I haven't been able to go back to it for more than fifteen minutes since.
same here. Had the girlfriend give it a go and took her 2 tries o.o

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I feel the exact opposite.

I love this game. It feels like one of the truest examples of how a game can be art, not just through the storytelling, but also the environment.

It oozes love and compassion, but also fear and also uneasiness of an entire island, just frozen in an instant.

It's one of the single best games I've ever played.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
The sound puzzle
where you have to go by the pitch of the bird chirps
frustrated me to no end cuz I think my tv speakers where too shit to really cleanly deduce it and made me drop it. I was really enjoying it up to that, but I haven't been able to go back to it for more than fifteen minutes since.

Yeah.

I will say that while the game does have some annoying puzzles, you have to realize that not everyone can solve every puzzle. Which I like. I'm not the best with sounds either, but my brother got it pretty damn instantly.

Once the environment becomes part of the puzzle, I'm amazing at it. But my brother just cant seem to see the solution.

PowerUp

Mar 30, 2018
Holy crap, I got this game from the Epic Games Store giveaway, and some of the line puzzles are very difficult.

But the problem is that the difficulty is very tedious - to a degree in which I've never felt about any other difficult game I've played.

I think this is where the design really fails. And even when I finally solve a hard puzzle, I get little satisfaction because I know the entire game is comprised of the same type of puzzle.

Anyone else feel like this game is a complete chore?
Agreed,
That's why I gave up when it came out on PS4. Never understood the hype

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
This game is a testament of how a super duper smart genius of a design means fucking nothing if the whole thing is boring.

It's a mind blowingly smart game design and a fucking chore to play.

Congrats, I guess.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I guess it really just comes down to how much you enjoy puzzle games for the puzzles. They're well constructed puzzles in an atmospheric setting that's pretty much it. Unfortunately it gives me motion sickness hardcore and I couldn't complete it myself.