• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar
tenor.gif

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
The source material being really damn good helps, and then throw in all of the talent involved between the actors and Scorsese.

Oct 16, 2020
Terrible movie. Moaning and fucks in place of a proper script. Every actor competing in a scenery eating contest.

Only bad Scorsese film I've seen.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
An absolute all-star cast with everyone on top of their game. It's tied with Wolf of Wall Street as my favorite Scorcese movie.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, an amazing movie. And an amazing Scorsese film at that. I was glad he finally got an Oscar out of it, even though it was lllooonnnggg overdue.

Oct 25, 2017
Big thing I only recently thought about. Queenan's almost forgotten about once he
dies.

But that was the case in Infernal Affairs too. When can we talk about that movie.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Entertaining, but really took issue with how "Hollywood" they took the original film. Infernal Affairs had a better ending because it didn't go overboard with the needless twists and turns, nor did it have any of the love triangle bullshit thrown in by The Departed.

Vastly prefer the originals.

Also still peeved that there was barely any mention of Infernal Affairs when this was winning Oscars.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I love how closeted Damon is in this movie. Ten minutes pass and he still has to drop the slur on them firefighters to prove he's in fact, not gay.

Also, Walhberg is great in this. Wtf are people smoking

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
Terrible movie. Moaning and fucks in place of a proper script. Every actor competing in a scenery eating contest.

Only bad Scorsese film I've seen.

I agree with this, I'm always in the Minority in this film. But then again, I tend to hate films where the resolution is "kill everyone off." Like.. ok, why did I bother watching this two hour film when it has no resolution?

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
This is such a weird movie. I can't decide if I love or hate the campiness? It's got some nice shots and the cast kills it, but it also drags in some parts and I feel like it sometimes wants to be taken more seriously than it deserves. Definitely worth a watch but also far from Socrese's best or most significant work. Although among Leo/Scorsese team ups it at least didn't put me to sleep like Gangs of New York.

greenbird

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely prefer Infernal Affairs by a comfortable margin, but The Departed is pretty good as far as Hollywood adaptations go.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never seen it. I am waiting for the Special Edition cut that removes the rat.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
prefer the original still but it is a damn fine film.

and marky mark was great in it, its crazy out of everyone hes the one that got an oscar nom for acting

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
It's an OK movie but you have to be a masochist to watch a two hour plus film about Bostonians.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
This was the moment where Jack Nicholson transfered his power, and Leo basically slowly transformed into him.

Oct 28, 2017

rycisko

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Some things haven't aged the greatest but still one of my favorite Scorsese movies ever. Up there with Goodfellas & Gangs of NY with ease.

"How bout a smoke? You want to smoke? What you don't smoke? What are you one of those fitness freaks? Go fuck yourself"

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I liked it when i was younger. After that i watched the Infernal Affairs movies back to back.

I tried to watch The Departed again last year and it just... i didn't find it very interesting.

Nov 9, 2017
The Departed and Wolf of Wall Street are similar in my book. Sub-par Scorsese flicks that are very entertaining on the first watch. Better than most movies, but they feel like Scorsese trying to entertain using extreme language, drug use, and violence because that is truly what Americans adore.

Movies like Taxi Driver and Goodfellas are actual masterpieces. These are just fun romps.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's Wahlberg at his absolutely Wahlbergiest. It works for the movie but he doesn't deliver the range, charisma, or screen presence of any of the other major actors in the movie.
Na, Wahlberg at his most Wahlbergiest is Transformers.

In the Departed, his obnoxious swagger works as the character is well written and directed.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Boston based on this movie? Anyway the last 15 minutes of this film are hilarious