• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you believe that paying for PS+/XBL pays for multiplayer servers?

• Fuck yeah bro

Votes: 172 12.6%
  • Fuck no

Votes: 1,190 87.4%

• Total voters

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I don't really play online so just associate it with getting games each month. £2.90ish a month for a couple of random games? Yeah okay.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
The question is, what do Nintendo spend their online paywall money on?
See the whole premise of this question is kind of the mistake the OP is getting at.There is not exactly such thing as companies spending particular revenue streams on particular other things.

They have total projected (and actual revenue), and also a budget for spending on whatever. These are related, but it's not like they say we are making product x to fund y. They make product x to get more revenue. With the additional revenue they may decide to fund y. If they think putting more money back into x will increase revenue further, they will. Or they may fund something else or increase dividends

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's a common myth that misunderstands the economics of these services, although objectively speaking, they do cost time, resource, and capital to run. Infrastructure, security, content distribution, enforcement...the list goes on. There's a lot of moving parts so really, while in an ideal world they would be free everywhere, companies are within their right to charge a cost of entry.

Sure, they're making hand over fist but the market has decided that a luxury service is worth the asking price so there's not much more to discuss. Consumerism is a helluva drug.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It's 2021 and PS store continues to be slow-loading shit that's even worse than e-shop. As if I needed to be more conviced that PS+/Gold funds are used for anything other than filling the coffers.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
wow. people are actually defending this!
never imagined i would see the day.
even not comparing it to steam these services literally provide no value.
i only have plus because i have to for online play.

Shock32

Oct 27, 2017
I pay for the closed system as far as cheaters and reducing the toxic bullshit. Sony and MS seem pretty proactive in reporting and punishing people.

Playing on line and the ps+ sales are just an added bonus.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Naw, it pays for network infrastructure and support/development.

It's why I can now get Gigabit download speeds on PS5 off the PS Store.

It's also how console developers can sell hardware that would cost significantly more for a comparably specced PC. And as someone who isn't interested in the mechanics or upkeep of building one, I don't mind since I can get PS+ cheaper via deals if I'm patient.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Naw, it pays for network infrastructure and support/development.

It's why I can now get Gigabit download speeds on PS5 off the PS Store.

What's your download speed on your PS5? My DLs are quick AF, but I'm not sure they are taking close to full advantage of 1GB download I pay for.

Sometimes I see I get 200mb+ on the PS5. I have Cat8 cables (overkill I know), Gigabit ports on router.

Rick44-4

Oct 8, 2020
Why didn't people complain back in the 360 days, you didn't even get games then. I blame those people for allowing us to be in this situation.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
What's your download speed on your PS5? My DLs are quick AF, but I'm not sure they are taking close to full advantage of 1GB download I pay for.

Sometimes I see I get 200mb+ on the PS5. I have Cat8 cables (overkill I know), Gigabit ports on router.
I downloaded the Maiden demo in under 40 seconds. So it was pretty close.
I have 1.5Gig internet, but capped at 1Gbps due to Ethernet.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
No, its just a platform service. You basically pay if you want to be part of that platform, if you find any value, then your going to pay for it. Some just want to simply play online, I do believe that part of the service should be free. It has been in the past on Nintendo and PS platforms.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird, but for me I've never associated paying for PS+ as paying for online, since I've had the service pretty much since its inception. I've always associated it with PS+ discounts and the monthly game collection.

I think it's because I play online games so rarely.

Nintendo's plan on the other hand, I absolutely associate with online since I need it to play online games with my wife.

Never cared about Xbox Live, so no association there either way. I have Game Pass Ultimate and even that I don't associate with paying to play online.

I think I'm also way more desensitized to paying to play games online since technically I started doing that in 2001 with FFXI.

With all that said, I do wish online was free for those that play online games a lot!
This is where I am too. It kind of irks me thinking that I'm paying for something I don't use (the online part), but if it means I gotta pay for cloud syncing on some platforms, etc., plus the 'free' games and discounts, I'm OK with it. That being said, I would never pay the full asking price that they want per month/year and wait for deep sales on the subscriptions.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
In some situations it actually does, though. Services like Playfab have relay servers which you ordinarily have to pay the usage costs for, however are free for any usage from Xbox Live accounts.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
I never believed it paid for servers, but it has to pay for something right? Keeping everything running and running well for years and years isn't free. In the 360 days it was years ahead of anything else as far as ease of use for multiplayer parties and chat and things. The real issue I see is that it hasn't evolved enough...like, not much at all. Which makes me wonder why it's still around when it could be justified better as Gamepass only.

xbox live as a service is just antiquated these days, but that money is probably very important to MS as far as maintenance, updating hardware and most importantly, salaries for people working on Xbox Live related things.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I'm okay with paying for PS Plus for two reasons:
1) Online play and the games they give
2) I hope it can contribute to Playstation Studios making the great games that they do. When the day comes they stop making PS games I care for I'll stop paying for this service.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
Video games are my escape from having to deal with other people; I do enough of that at work. The idea of paying for the 'privilege' of multiplayer is doubly hilarious to me.

asmodejan

Oct 27, 2017
I've never thought the money pays for servers. Having said that your comparison isn't like for like. Valve don't sell heavily subsidised hardware.
Let's see, Sony and Microsoft sold about what ...170 million consoles (PS4 + Xbox One) since 2013? It's hard for me to believe that Sony and Microsoft took a hit on every single unit sold. Maybe they did, but a PS4 and Xbox One S are retailing for $300 right now. Anyway, what about accessories, are those subsidized, too? I'm asking, because I don't know.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one believes it "pays for servers", but it does help Sony and MS take losses on new consoles at launch

And it is undeniable that PSN got much better once they started charging for it, I remember free PSN and it was rough

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Let's see, Sony and Microsoft sold about what ...170 million consoles (PS4 + Xbox One) since 2013? It's hard for me to believe that Sony and Microsoft took a hit on every single unit sold. Maybe they did, but a PS4 and Xbox One S are retailing for $300 right now. Anyway, what about accessories, are those subsidized, too? I'm asking, because I don't know.

Accessories tend to be one of the areas console makers make money.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
Is there a source/twitter thread for this? I've just never heard anyone think they're paying for multiplayer servers.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
You don't even have to look at PC, the argument doesn't make sense even just within the scope of consoles. Third party games manage to maintain servers just fine. Not like they're getting a cut of PS+/Live profits.

Oct 28, 2017
It blows my mind that people actually subscribed to PS+ on PS3.
PS+ was actually good on PS3. Better than good. I still consider it the gold standard for value in gaming subscription services.

I do not pay for it on PS4. PS+ turned to shit quickly in PS4's life. It was essentially a trojan horse on PS3 so that people wouldn't complain when they introduced the online paywall. That's why PS+ value was as unbelievable as it was on PS3.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
In some situations it actually does, though. Services like Playfab have relay servers which you ordinarily have to pay the usage costs for, however are free for any usage from Xbox Live accounts.

Yup, that's a really good example. But you'll get little to zero responses to this as it doesn't fit the narrative. Stop shilling and fall in line!

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
It was consumers that allowed this to happen. During the 360 gen people were happily paying for XBL Gold by the tens of millions with no complaints or even a question as to why there was a charge. I remember wondering back then why people were so complacent about it. I paid for XBL gold too but I wasn't happy about it and didn't understand why everyone else was.

Xbox had the multiplayer shooter market in North America cornered because it offered the superior experience. Maybe the superiority of the experience vs the free option is why people didn't mind paying. The trail was blazed, path was paved for others to follow and now it's the new irreversible standard.

Sony boiled the frog on me too. I had PS+ on PS3 before Sony aped Microsoft with the pay wall. It was a great value at the time. Then all of a sudden, without even feeling it or noticing I'm now paying basically just for PS online as the "free games" offered are nothing like what it was when PS+ started. Makes me wonder if the original PS+ on PS3 was a Trojan horse to roll out online pay wall. I don't have a crystal ball but would not at all be surprised if game pass and the value it's offering right now is a Trojan horse too - and recent events aren't helping dissuade that.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
No one believes it "pays for servers", but it does help Sony and MS take losses on new consoles at launch

And it is undeniable that PSN got much better once they started charging for it, I remember free PSN and it was rough
That's the thing though. It might not pay for the individual game servers but it definitely pays for all of the PS and Xbox infrastructure.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I never did believe it. It's always been a super cheap way to rent a couple games I might not have tried each month and get discounts of the games I actually want.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
To insinuate that the cost doesn't go towards paying for any infrastructure and is instead all profit is completely absurd. There is certainly a profit margin but it's not all profit. Maintaining a massive network and digital infrastructure like Xbox live is not free.
Well said. The money is a great profit for them, but also pays for some servers and all that. Should it be cheaper? Absolutely, but straight up denying that the money doesn't pay for PSN, XBL, ... is ridiculous.
Heck, even old MMOs that are barely alive can still keep their servers online. There's also the whole indie scene with MP.
You can't compare the workload of a dying MMO to three of the biggest onlineservice in gaming. The more users you have, the more servers you need. Btw, Xbox is literally keeping old games alive and indies can take advantage of XBL and PSN.
This is definitely not always true. Third-party publishers *have the option* of putting up their own servers, but they don't have to. EA and Activision often do that, but most games don't. The platform holder (Sony, MS, Steam, etc.) offers the tools and servers to handle matchmaking, leaderboards, stats, achievements/trophies, cloud saves, plus additional features like messaging and voice chat.
As you said there are many advantages indies for example can take advantage of. Again should PS+, Gold cost so much? No. Is there a huge profit in for these companies? Yes. But some of the money is going into these services, systems, servers, ... Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony provide to developers and consumers.
Why didn't people complain back in the 360 days, you didn't even get games then. I blame those people for allowing us to be in this situation.
Why didn't we complain in the Sega days, because they started it.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I don't understand the argument that they don't. We are paying Microsoft. They have one wallet. Microsoft does have servers that they pay for. Whether or not that specific money covers just that or goes to somewhere else...it doesn't really matter. Microsoft both TAKES money from us and PAYS money towards maintaining servers. The distinction you're making is irrelevant.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
Were servers a true selling point back during XBL's debut on XB1? I was willing to pay in the 360-era because their experience was so much better at the time.

Jonscrambler

Nov 13, 2017
Torrance,CA
Also amazes me people justify paying a subscription because of digital sales discounts... when these games after the discounts are pretty much the same "discount" price on other platforms

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have also heard some people say that you are paying for secure online gaming by paying for psn/xbl. They claim that keeping hackers/cheaters off of consoles is the reason why Sony/Microsoft charge for this shit. I don't buy it. I have seen hackers and cheaters on these services. Just not at the same level as PC. Hell COD4 on xbl was full of hackers at one point.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Were servers a true selling point back during XBL's debut on XB1? I was willing to pay in the 360-era because their experience was so much better at the time.
i'm confused by what you mean...original xbox or xbox one?
if you mean original xbox, the unified online system was what you were buying. iirc everything was just p2p connections, but even having a storefront on a console to buy map packs or xbla games was nuts.

ps2/pc online games were the wild west in comparison. ps2 had different accounts for every game and was just more of a hassle. it was free though and can't say I didn't play a ton of ratchet deadlocked and socom. PC did have some cool matchmaking/server finding apps like gamespy and xfire, but there was nothing unified and steam as a platform was still a pipe dream even when 360 launched

it's just an annual service fee/tax on the console at this point, and has been for over 10 years. we all suck it up and keep buying consoles too. at this point we take for granted all the features over the years added on these platforms, but it still doesn't justify the pricing to me