• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
How are we on the third page of this thread and we still have people forgetting that there's a segment of the population that can't be vaccinated for medical reasons and are reliant on others getting it?
I'd still love to see proof on who can't get vaccinated due to medical reasons. If it is due to allergies, there are two kinds of vaccines that don't share allergens. if it is due to weak immuno system, then it is fine because none of the vaccines have a live virus.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
There's 2 studies referred to in that link I just posted that have same results might wanna click it

AZ is 60% efficacy against delta after 2 shots
Pfizer is 33% after first shot, 88% after second.
I dont know why you ignored the posters question "Efficacy of what?" and instead just posted a link including that info but keep referring to the 60%.

The 60% figure for AZ concerns symptomatic disease, it still protects against hospitalization over 90%.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Every kid in 5th grade or younger is dependent on herd immunity (and the continued hope that variants are relatively non aggressive against children). Important to keep in mind.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'd still love to see proof on who can't get vaccinated due to medical reasons. If it is due to allergies, there are two kinds of vaccines that don't share allergens. if it is due to weak immuno system, then it is fine because none of the vaccines have a live virus.
"Can't" was probably the wrong word to use. They could get vaccinated, but the concern is more that their body won't be able to generate a sufficient immune response to be considered protected, rather than them being infected by something in the vaccine.

Obi Wan Jabroni

alt account
Banned
Dec 14, 2020
"Can't" was probably the wrong word to use. They could get vaccinated, but the concern is more that their body won't be able to generate a sufficient immune response to be considered protected, rather than them being infected by something in the vaccine.

That's why herd immunity - which we probably won't achieve at this point - is so important. That's how you protect the people who can't get vaccinated.

Anti-vaxxers are the fucking worst.

antipod

Oct 30, 2017
This is data from a week ago:

smartselect_20210614-tijfp.jpg

Maybe it's just me but I don't find these kind of diagrams saying much except that there are fewer vaccinated that needed emergency care. But it doesn't tell us about why that is so. As a saying: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'.

Because it doesn't tell from how many that had the disease who was hospitalized. Also, there is a higher chance of people getting vaccine taking the disease seriously so they are more likely to keep distance, use a mask and so on.

Also, age isn't included in the graph. Underlying diseases and other risk factors isn't included.

Those that are having an increased risk most likely got vaccinated and older people are at a higher rate vaccinated as they (at least her in Sweden) got their shot(s) first.

KungFuKunta

Banned
Jun 7, 2021
What was the level of severity of disease in those vaccinated.

I don't know. I don't like the data from the UK so far

If I'm reading these right over 40% of the Delta deaths have been double vaccinated so far. Someone help me decipher these if I'm wrong.

pWnkasM.png

34 unvaxxed and 26 double vaxxed

Last edited:

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
It's unfortunate but short of forced vaccinations I don't know what else we can do for these people. If you lived through the past year and a half, and still don't want to get a vaccine to stave it off... you're delusional.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Long covid is still a thing that people seem to just be completely ignoring, surging cases even with a smaller surge in hospitalizations/deaths is still a terrible thing.

UK for example
www.theguardian.com

376,000 people in UK have had long Covid symptoms for at least a year – ONS

Data shows marked increase in self-reported cases of symptoms lasting 12 months or more
The ONS estimates 1 million people in private households in the UK were experiencing symptoms of long Covid in the four weeks to 2 May. About 650,000 people had their day-to-day activities affected by long Covid, with 192,000 of these saying this had been limited a lot.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020

If I'm reading these right over 40% of the Delta deaths have been double vaccinated so far.

People already explained how you've horribly misinterpreted the UK data, why are you bringing up the exact same point again?

no, you are not reading these right.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018

If I'm reading these right over 40% of the Delta deaths have been double vaccinated so far. Someone help me decipher these if I'm wrong.

pWnkasM.png

Seriously, do we have to explain the age demographics of those double-vaccinated in the UK to you again?

92% of deaths prior to vaccinations in the UK were in the over 60s. The over 60s are now over 92% double-dosed, and comprise the majority of the entire 'double-dosed' group.
The unvaccinated in that data sample are those who've declined a vaccination, and then primarily those under 30 who've only just started being vaccinated here (and who were less than 1% of deaths prior to vaccination).

You are going round and round and round, in multiple threads, misrepresenting data, stating you understand what people are saying when they correct you or provide the required context... and then doing it all over again.

Deleted member 9207

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is data from a week ago:

smartselect_20210614-tijfp.jpg

Notice the bottom column.

But besides this do I really need to explain why a statement like "anyone dying from covid now is ignorant" is fucking ignorant?
The bottom column includes anyone that has received one or two doses. It is important to understand that you're not fully protected as soon as the needle comes in contact with your skin.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Long covid is still a thing that people seem to just be completely ignoring, surging cases even with a smaller surge in hospitalizations/deaths is still a terrible thing.

UK for example
www.theguardian.com

Data shows marked increase in self-reported cases of symptoms lasting 12 months or more

What's the data on long covid in vaccinated people

The crux of the situation is that vaccinated people seem to maintain good protection across all variants. Thanks to antivaxers covid is not going away entirely so at some point we have to decide if we want to enter permanent lockdowns.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
What's the data on long covid in vaccinated people

The crux of the situation is that vaccinated people seem to maintain good protection across all variants. Thanks to antivaxers covid is not going away entirely so at some point we have to decide if we want to enter permanent lockdowns.
While more comprehensive research into the impact of vaccination on Long Covid symptoms is needed, the existing preliminary evidence is growing, showing that it reduces symptoms and can prevent Long Covid emerging by up to 30 per cent.

And not everyone can get vaccinated yet like kids under 12 who can still get long covid.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you and your google skills know more than these officials and experts?
Nice!

He's been fear mongering in basically every positive COVID thread about how we are doomed. It's tiring at this point after being on the front lines for a year that people just don't want to accept any positive news.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Huh? No that's not true at all AZ has the efficacy of around 60% for Delta after 2 doses. That's 30% less than the mRNA. There's a huge difference

The virus is being spread by young people, largely who haven't been vaccinated yet. Even if you keep banging on about this 60% figure, which you continue to provide without context, it is still more successful a vaccine than any flu vaccination we have produced in years. It is preventing hospitalisation to the same degree as Pfizer in this country (i.e. mid 90% efficacy). The Delta spread has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the vaccines here, it is primarily because young people are mixing and aren't protected, and because the strain is far more contagious, we have a surge of cases.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017

pWnkasM.png

So that's 26 double vaxxed deaths in 4 months? And I hate to say this as it used to be a right wing talking point but these are deaths with covid, not of covid. All of our double vaxxed people in the UK are generally old and people will still die despite being vaccinated.

KungFu needs to catch at least a warning this point. Continues to ignore any data that doesn't support his wild fearmongering across multiple threads

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017

UK for example
www.theguardian.com

IMO nobody is having a relevant discussion about long covid right now. It's daft. When the list of symptoms includes anxiety, depression and sleeplessness it's too wide reaching. We're asking people if they've suffered depression or anxiety during a pandemic? No wonder the numbers are so high. But until there's a proven link that covid caused those issues and not the societal pressures of a global pandemic, it's daft to discuss numbers like this

Edit: and I say this as someone still suffering health issues following a covid infection 15 months ago

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
wish they'd get the child vaccine out.

only thing keeping me from saying 'fuck all you morons.' and living life.

KungFuKunta

Banned
Jun 7, 2021
So that's 26 double vaxxed deaths in 4 months? And I hate to say this as it used to be a right wing talking point but these are deaths with covid, not of covid. All of our double vaxxed people in the UK are generally old and people will still die despite being vaccinated.

KungFu needs to catch at least a warning this point. Continues to ignore any data that doesn't support his wild fearmongering across multiple threads

Wait a minute so your point is because old people die anyway we're going to discount this data? It shows 40% of deaths since February with delta vaccines are are double vaccinated. What am I reading wrong exactly?

The fact that the numbers are low only means the variant is not that prevalent yet let's see if they scale once deaths go up. But the amount of hand washing of data in this thread and other threads is ridiculous.

The fact of the matter is you can no longer say only unvaccinated are effected by this virus and it's clear that's pissing some people off here.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a minute so your point is because old people die anyway we're going to discount this data? It shows 40% of deaths since February with delta vaccines are are double vaccinated. What am I reading wrong exactly?

The fact that the numbers are low only means the variant is not that prevalent yet let's see if they scale once deaths go up. But the amount of hand washing of data in this thread and other threads is ridiculous.

The fact of the matter is you can no longer say only unvaccinated are effected by this virus and it's clear that's pissing some people off here.
My point is that people will still die despite being vaccinated. Plus those deaths aren't always because of covid. When a number is as low as 26 in 4 months (less than 1 every 4 days) you can't use that as a model for what will happen elsewhere

Edit: as an example, the UK has 450 cancer related deaths a day. That's around 54,000 deaths in the period we're looking at here. It's not unreasonable to assume that some of those 54,000 people will have had Delta in the 28 days prior. Then they are counted in these figures. Which you're using to assess vaccine success.

KungFuKunta

Banned
Jun 7, 2021
My point is that people will still die despite being vaccinated. Plus those deaths aren't always because of covid. When a number is as low as 26 in 4 months (less than 1 every 4 days) you can't use that as a model for what will happen elsewhere

That report is for DELTA RELATED DEATHS. Not for natural causes. WTF are you arguing that the report made by government health professionals mixed up delta deaths with deaths of natural causes?

The report doesn't even specify the age groups, the amount of reaching you're doing is astonishing.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I don't follow. It appears that Vaccinated people are less likely to catch the virus and less likely to be hospitalized. And you'd think those of those hospitalized, a smaller percentage would pass away in the hospital.

Ah, I clearly misinterpreted your question! Mea culpa. I suspect you'd have to know a whole lot more to answer your actual question. Are vaccinated people less likely to contact healthcare professionals? Less likely to be referred to the hospital early? Are they treated as less likely to have a serious case? I can see a lot of possible reasons, but there's not going to be any evidence to support them without someone following up.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018

The fact that the numbers are low only means the variant is not prevalent yet let's see if they scale once deaths go up. The amount of hand washing of data in this thread and other threads is ridiculous.

Seriously, it is not 'hand washing' just because other people have actually made the effort to understand the context of the numbers. And people have repeatedly told you what you're reading wrong, you're just continually either ignoring it, not understanding it, or disregarding it because it isn't as negative as your opinion.

No one is denying Delta has more immune escape, and makes the efficacy of vaccines go down - they're just also stating it has a much, much lesser effect after two doses (as proven by multiple studies).

It's not a case of 'they're old people and would die anyway', it's a case that where breakthroughs occur (and they do, because vaccines aren't 100% effective), the resultant deaths will likely still mostly be in the 'double vaccinated' group, because over 92% of covid deaths in the UK are in those who are over 60, and we've double-vaccinated approaching 95% of them.

You are correct in saying the report 'doesn't specify the age groups', but the whole point is that we know the age breakdown of the double-vaccinated group, because we know who we've double-vaccinated. The UK have moved down through the age groups. Those above 60 are basically double-dosed. We're mopping up second doses on 50-60s now. And we've just started first doses on the under 30s. So we know that those who are 'fully vaccinated' are mostly the older people.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
That report is for DELTA RELATED DEATHS. Not for natural causes. WTF are you arguing that the report made by government health professionals mixed up delta deaths with deaths of natural causes?

The report doesn't even specify the age groups, the amount of reaching you're doing is astonishing.
It lieteraly says in the report that it's from the PHE daily data which is all deaths with a positive test in the 28 days prior? Another thing you've pulled out of your ass? This is getting daft now

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
IMO nobody is having a relevant discussion about long covid right now. It's daft. When the list of symptoms includes anxiety, depression and sleeplessness it's too wide reaching. We're asking people if they've suffered depression or anxiety during a pandemic? No wonder the numbers are so high. But until there's a proven link that covid caused those issues and not the societal pressures of a global pandemic, it's daft to discuss numbers like this

Edit: and I say this as someone still suffering health issues following a covid infection 15 months ago
There is a breakdown of symptoms.

Here's some for symptoms >12 weeks
~400,000 Weakness/tiredness
~350,000 Shortness of breath
~250,000 Difficulty concentrating
~200,000 Memory loss or confusion

Trying to play it off as just people being anxious/depressed due to the pandemic is messed up.

And then you have this
news.yahoo.com

COVID-19 may cause loss of brain tissue; Delta variant fuels steep infection rise in England

The following is a roundup of some of the latest scientific studies on the novel coronavirus and efforts to find treatments and vaccines for COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus. Even mild cases of COVID-19 may lead to loss of brain tissue, according to findings from a long-term study...
Most of the COVID-19 survivors had had only mild-to-moderate symptoms, or no symptoms at all, while 15 had been hospitalized. Among the COVID-19 survivors, researchers saw "significant" loss of gray matter in regions of the brain related to smell and taste - the left parahippocampal gyrus, left orbitofrontal cortex and left insula. Some of the affected brain regions are also involved in the memory of experiences that evoke emotional reactions, the researchers noted in a report posted on medRxiv on Tuesday ahead of peer review. The changes were not seen in the group that had not been infected. The authors said more research is needed to determine whether COVID-19 survivors will have issues in the longer term with their ability to remember emotion-evoking events.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
There is a breakdown of symptoms.

Here's some for symptoms >12 weeks
~400,000 Weakness/tiredness
~350,000 Shortness of breath
~250,000 Difficulty concentrating
~200,000 Memory loss or confusion

Trying to play it off as just people being anxious/depressed due to the pandemic is messed up.
And then you have this
news.yahoo.com

COVID-19 may cause loss of brain tissue; Delta variant fuels steep infection rise in England

The following is a roundup of some of the latest scientific studies on the novel coronavirus and efforts to find treatments and vaccines for COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus. Even mild cases of COVID-19 may lead to loss of brain tissue, according to findings from a long-term study...
I'm not trying to "play it off". Jesus. I'm saying that the conversation is muddied because I believe we're counting people that have symptoms that aren't caused by covid. I'm not denying it's existence. I'm just saying until we understand the causes and effects of long covid better, throwing round stats for the number/percentage of people infected doesn't mean much

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018

And once again, you seem to insist you know more about the situation and data reporting in the UK than people in the UK, because you've looked on Google and seen a few tweets.

The definition of a covid-related death, as used in all UK data, is when someone has had a positive test in the preceding 28 days. This applies to pretty much everything, including our data dashboard, PHE data, and the government report you're frantically posting screenshots from.

If someone suffers a stroke, or a heart attack, or has cancer, or anything, and tests positive for covid (or in this case, specifically the Delta variant) in the preceding 28 days, it will be counted in these figures. So if they were taken to hospital because they were dying, but picked it up while in hospital before death, they would count in this data.

Personally, I think the majority of the deaths showing up in that table will be actually be a result of covid. Possibly the overwhelming majority. But we don't know for certain, because of the definitions we use, and that there has to be a cut off somewhere.

Heck, if you won't believe me or the other posters who've tried to tell you this, try this:

That's Meaghan Kali, commenting on the report from two weeks back (the first one you kept posting everywhere, with twelve deaths in the double-vaccinated). She's an epidemiologist for Public Health England, and one of the people who actually produces the report each week that you're screenshotting.

KungFuKunta

Banned
Jun 7, 2021
Seriously, it is not 'hand washing' just because other people have actually made the effort to understand the context of the numbers. And people have repeatedly told you what you're reading wrong, you're just continually either ignoring it, not understanding it, or disregarding it because it isn't as negative as your opinion.

No one is denying Delta has more immune escape, and makes the efficacy of vaccines go down - they're just also stating it has a much, much lesser effect after two doses (as proven by multiple studies).

It's not a case of 'they're old people and would die anyway', it's a case that where breakthroughs occur (and they do, because vaccines aren't 100% effective), the resultant deaths will likely still mostly be in the 'double vaccinated' group, because over 92% of covid deaths in the UK are in those who are over 60, and we've double-vaccinated approaching 95% of them.

You are correct in saying the report 'doesn't specify the age groups', but the whole point is that we know the age breakdown of the double-vaccinated group, because we know who we've double-vaccinated. The UK have moved down through the age groups. Those above 60 are basically double-dosed. We're mopping up second doses on 50-60s now. And we've just started first doses on the under 30s. So we know that those who are 'fully vaccinated' are mostly the older people.

I still don't understand the pushback here as to why I shouldn't be concerned about these numbers?

Are you saying that if Covid deaths spike that drastically in double vaccinated senior citizens that would not be concerning because they're in a high risk group anyway?

Last edited:

KungFuKunta

Banned
Jun 7, 2021
And once again, you seem to insist you know more about the situation and data reporting in the UK than people in the UK, because you've looked on Google and seen a few tweets.

The definition of a covid-related death, as used in all UK data, is when someone has had a positive test in the preceding 28 days. This applies to pretty much everything, including our data dashboard, PHE data, and the government report you're frantically posting screenshots from.

If someone suffers a stroke, or a heart attack, or has cancer, or anything, and tests positive for covid (or in this case, specifically the Delta variant) in the preceding 28 days, it will be counted in these figures. So if they were taken to hospital because they were dying, but picked it up while in hospital before death, they would count in this data.

Personally, I think the majority of the deaths showing up in that table will be actually be a result of covid. Possibly the overwhelming majority. But we don't know for certain, because of the definitions we use, and that there has to be a cut off somewhere.

Heck, if you won't believe me or the other posters who've tried to tell you this, try this:

That's Meaghan Kali. She's an epidemiologist for Public Health England, and one of the people who actually produces the report each week that you're screenshotting.

So at this point we're using the right wing arguments of all deaths being tracked in people who happen to have covid as well to prove to me why this data isn't concerning?

This is the level of optimism we're at now era?

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care at all if the stupid anti-vaxxers all die off from the Delta variant, but the real problem is if it leads to more virulent mutations that the vaccines aren't effective against. Plus, it's never a good idea to expose kids to a virus needlessly as we don't know if there will be any long term health consequences, some kids are immunocompromised, etc.

Sunbro83

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand the pushback here as to why I shouldn't be concerned about these numbers?

Are you saying that if Covid deaths spike that drastically in double vaccinated senior citizens that would not be concerning because they're in a high risk group anyway?
1 death every 4 days is "spiked drastically in senior citizens"

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure what you want people to say. Vaccination does not mean you are immune from anything. You still have every chance to catch the thing, and a much lower chance to die from it. No one promised us we are invincible. Stronger strains having a batter chance of killing double vaccinated people shouldn't be surprising either. In the grand scheme of things, we are far better off than we were six months ago.

MaffewE

Feb 15, 2018
So at this point we're using the right wing arguments of all deaths being tracked in people who happen to have covid as well to prove to me why this data isn't concerning?

This is the level of optimism we're at now era?

That's the first time in my life I've ever been called 'right wing'.
And you're blatantly just not even reading any more. It's like every post you read, you forget every single preceding one.

I've agreed that Delta spreads more and has an impact on vaccine effectiveness.
I've said that personally, I'd be happy for restrictions in the UK to continue until everyone has had the chance to be double-dosed, and would be fine for mask wearing to continue possibly longer than that.
I've stated that I think that possibly the overwhelming majority of the deaths recorded in the data from that report are covid-related, though we literally can't tell for certain due to limitations in the data.

Stating that there are limitations in the data, that the deaths breakdown isn't surprising given the age demographics of our vaccination program, that you shouldn't be comparing proportional percentages when saying things have 'tripled', and above all, that you're misunderstanding the situation in the country that I live in and you do not, is not being right wing, or being overly optimistic. It's correcting you on misinformation.

Please, for the sake of everyone else in this thread and across the forum as a whole, calm down, and at least try to analyse the data with the associated context.
Because right now, as highlighted in my last post, you're literally disagreeing about the contents of a report with one of the people who produced the actual report.

KungFuKunta

Banned
Jun 7, 2021
I'm not sure what you want people to say. Vaccination does not mean you are immune from anything. You still have every chance to catch the thing, and a much lower chance to die from it. No one promised us we are invincible. Stronger strains having a batter chance of killing double vaccinated people shouldn't be surprising either. In the grand scheme of things, we are far better off than we were six months ago.

I don't want people to say anything. I'm concerned that there is another wave coming and vaccinated people are not as protected as we previously thought.

The pushback I get here at this point is literally either right wing talking points or complete denial.