• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
D35eJETW0AAlffc.jpg

Component was the GOAT for the longest time, but I think composite was the most common video connect for consoles until HDMI debuted.

SVGA support was always niche outside of PC monitors (only on high end TVs).

And parallel was the "jack-of-all-trades" on the PC for years, even if external SCSI had much better performance.

Any favorite ports that you used more than others?

Apr 9, 2019
CLT
This is not what I thought it would be.

DVI Video was my mainstay in the late 90's and early 2000's, though parallel got a lot of play in my parents' basement.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I should hang this in every office at my work so I won't have to explain how a HDMI or a network port looks like on the phone.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A native ethernet port would be perfect for the switch

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
D35eJETW0AAlffc.jpg

Component was the GOAT for the longest time, but I think composite was the most common video connect for consoles until HDMI debuted.

SVGA support was always niche outside of PC monitors (only on high end TVs).

And parallel was the "jack-of-all-trades" on the PC for years, even if external SCSI had much better performance.

Any favorite ports that you used more than others?

Where does this go in:
sega-262-scart.jpg

Never seen a thread fail so fast.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
How about those coaxial RF ports? 🤮 .

You younguns have no idea what we had go deal with

OP
OP
Syriel

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
How about those coaxial RF ports? 🤮 .

You younguns have no idea what we had go deal with

Channel 3? Channel 4?

Channel 3 worked best for me, but still had to wiggle the able every so often.

Making the RF -> Composite upgrade was like the jump from 480i -> 1080p. GLORIOUS CLARITY!

The other fun thing about RF was that if you imported from Japan, you had to use Channel 99.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
everytime I'm reminded of my old tvs, I get a little lot sad. Back when I was a kid Pop got me a "TV" for my room that was 32 inches (huge for me), but he told me it wasn't really a tv, but some kind of monitor. I just remember it had all sorts of inputs I didn't know what they did. I asked him about it not too long ago but he couldn't remember much about it, only that "Man... that thing was expensive."

Then more recently after having it shipped back from Italy, I had a great flat screen (not flat panel) 29inch Panasonic CRT tv that was great and I'm pretty sure had multiple component inputs. I left it on the side of the road when I moved out of a house in 2009 some buddies and I were renting. Some dude picked it up before we even got inside.

Now I'm stuck with what my parents were going to throw away a few years ago and I was like "I'll take it." Some cheapo 19 inch CRT with a single set of composite inputs and broken buttons on the front and a built-in DVD player...

Siggy

Dec 12, 2017
I saw a video the other day explaining how the SNES controller ports worked and how different devices like the lightgun were operated through it. It was pretty cool, here's a little screenie:

ajOLo11.png

Recommended video & channel:

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like the right thread to ask (maybe, LOL). I was just given a power bank, but no documentation, no model number to google. In addition to USB ports, it has this odd one. What is it?

Strange_port_zps84ygqvno.jpg