• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Just because someone "sits on their ass all day" doesn't mean it isn't as exhausting as anything that has you stand. I bug my mother, who is a forklift driver, that she "just sits around" but I know for a fact even that is A LOT more than just "Sitting for 8 hours, driving around and pushing levers".

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm reading this wrong but are you really trying to justify something bad with something else bad? Why not accept crunch is wrong and retail employees should be paid more/treated better as well? Why are you that eager to defend crunch? I mean you say you aren't doing that but it feels like you are.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Using your brain to code stuff is also exhausting op, you should try using it before creating a thread

not to sound like an asshole, but I don't think people realize how physically exhausting thinking can be when you do it on the level required to engineer software, for like a day at a time. It's not just "oh my head is tired," you are physically exhausted, just the same as if you were running or doing physical labor.

An aside, but when I worked at blockbuster in college, I loved restocking the shelves which everyone would bitch about doing, because I could zone out and go into flow, and I'd use the opportunity to do a task that didn't require much thought, so I could think about how to structure my graphics engine I was working on at the time.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Retail work is nothing compared to to being on call and undercover 24 hour a day in a secret international government cooperative organization dedicated to stopping extraterrestrial invasions. Consider yourself lucky OP.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Well the title of the thread was a giveaway that OP values 'hypocrisy' higher than the issue at hand, reading thread removes any doubt lol.

Quality whataboutism here, actually a few bingo points here, take it through legal channels, I'm not for crunch etc. We don't have to wait for the video game industry to be a worse job than retail or any other job before caring about crunch in the video game industry.

And yes while I typed this I did nothing, not a thing, to stop the deforestation of rain forests or child slavery. I'm a monster.

wearejoel

Jan 21, 2020
Naughty Dog is one of the biggest beneficiaries of crunch in the industry. It has been well documented so it's not even a question. See Crunch is technically overtime and OT, as long as it's paid, isn't illegal so a lawsuit for employees isn't a viable option, the time and money spent would sink them. Most companies will say that crunch is "optional" but the same company will nurture a culture that revolves around pressure by either verbally praising those who "put in the extra work" and slyly exposing those who don't crunch as weak. The average hours for crunch are 60 hours minimum with some employees working 12-14 hour days while skipping meals, sometimes sleeping at their desks and fracturing relationships in the process. Never, ever compare your scars with another in an effort to compete over who has it worse. The employee who leaked this was obviously a very disgruntled one and unfortunately let his/her anger take the wheel and make a really bad decision. Because once an investigation is finished and that employee is found, (only a matter of time), Naughty Dog has every right to pursue damages

Status
Not open for further replies.