• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are no hate boners ITT though, so maybe wait until they pop up until you rage on them.

Nah, I'm not going to pick apart every post I see, people are allowed opinions, I'm just getting ahead of the same old hot takes.

Kojima? Crunch? I wish....

There is a reason why he takes too long to develop games..

Death Stranding has literally one of the fastest turn arounds for a game considering he had to build a new studio and make an all new AAA IP.

Only MGSV was long and that was cuz of having to develop a whole new engine, and it still wasn't absurdly long in development compared to most AAA games.

What hate? Which posts are you referring to?

Posts that usually appear in Kojima threads.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This seems like typical Kojima stuff though, a stilted translation of a cool phrase he's trying to coin. I don't interpret this as "crunch time!"

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
The Death Stranding team is the core team that has been with Kojima since the original Metal Gear Solid developed since the mid-90's... ...you are not going to change their nature at this point. And crunch is hard to avoid as you will want to put extra personal effort on a labor of love when coming close to release. I mean, they are all top of their class & craft. As long as the veterans don't force the young players to stay long then I don't see anything wrong with this practice.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I'm not going to pick apart every post I see, people are allowed opinions, I'm just getting ahead of the same old hot takes.
Usually getting ahead of hot takes only results in bating them.

Also I think it's fair to say Kojima isn't exactly in tune with certain things, like the way he spoke of Quiet's design. Just because he's a genius, doesn't mean he shouldn't be criticized.

The Death Stranding team is the core team that has been with Kojima since the original Metal Gear Solid developed since the mid-90's... ...you are not going to change their nature at this point. And crunch is hard to avoid as you will want to put extra personal effort on a labor of love when coming close to release. As long as the veterans don't force the young players to stay long then I don't see anything wrong with this practice.

This is true, though.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I love crunch in my work. Means there is plenty of overtime to go around and I get a nice pay packet at the end of it. 60 hour weeks are not bad at all

It's not always a bad thing and as long as it's optional and paid I see absolutely no issue.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I love crunch in my work. Means there is plenty of overtime to go around and I get a nice pay packet at the end of it. 60 hour weeks are not bad at all

It's not always a bad thing and as long as it's optional and paid I see absolutely no issue.
Hey man, if you want to get that money I won't stop you but...
"60 hour weeks are not bad at all"

what

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
After reading that tweet, the only logical next step is to ban Death Stranding discussion from this forum.

If you don't agree, you are part of the problem. Whatever it is.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Reading something written in English by Kojima is like...

cat-drugs-cat-freaking-out-spinning-around-spin-14232665570.gif

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really irresponsible OP. You're jumping to conclusions here. Creating a thread with the title "Kojima Productions enters crunch" and then linking to that incoherent tweet which, given who Kojima is, could mean anything, is so stupid.

Hell, it could be crunch, but we don't know that for sure. Relax.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Every developer: We are entering the last phrase of our development, please wait for our release. Thanks.

Kojima: Release day is set and now the days of Hades are awaiting for our team. But experiencing such luxury phase is the same as being in a heaven. It was zero start but I realized I didn't lose anything by looking at everyone's reactions. Thanks again.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really irresponsible OP. You're jumping to conclusions here. Creating a thread with the title "Kojima Productions enters crunch" and then linking to that incoherent tweet which, given who Kojima is, could mean anything, is so stupid.

Hell, it could be crunch, but we don't know that for sure. Relax.
I think it's absolutely clear it means crunch, imo. In that they're coming into the end-game of development and it's all hands on deck, all eyes forward.

The issue is that crunch is not always toxic, with a positive environment with good pay and support it can be something that benefits the development and the staff.

Dark-Cloudz

Oct 28, 2017
London
I get that this is a sly reference to what happens when you die in the game, but this is absolutely about crunch - what else could it be about?

'Hellish days are ahead for our team'

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I don't really think likening crunch to the Hades reference in the game is anything tone-deaf. I did raise my eyebrow at whatever the hell he likens to being in heaven. I suppose he means to say the fact that the game is making it in the first place?
Not even Hideo is clueless enough to announce crunch time on twitter
He also announced when he got fired from Konami with a game-reference. It's his style.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Irresponsible? What?

I'm just sick of people on here projecting accusations like this as fact without any solid evidence, which leads to false narratives being spread.

If you'd made a thread saying "Is Kojima Productions entering crunch?", inviting actual discussion about the tweet then fine but you didn't. Instead you started with an assumption of crunch positioned as a fact, which sets the tone of the thread. That's what's irresponsible.

I think it's absolutely clear it means crunch, imo. In that they're coming into the end-game of development and it's all hands on deck, all eyes forward.

The issue is that crunch is not always toxic, with a positive environment with good pay and support it can be something that benefits the development and the staff.

I agree that crunch isn't always toxic but that's something a lot of people on Era don't actually understand, instead just using all the horror stories from Jason Schreier's articles as evidence of the industry norm.

It varies drastically from developer to developer for sure. I've experienced it a few times myself and my company has looked after me and compensated me very well as a result.

I see crunch like I see projects and essays I used to do at uni. No matter how much I planned etc. time always creeps up on you and you end up pulling all nighters to get it done. And that's just you on your own. It becomes even more complex on a multi million dollar, multi year, 200-300+ person project.

Dark-Cloudz

Oct 28, 2017
London
I'm just sick of people on here projecting accusations like this as fact without any solid evidence, which leads to false narratives being spread.

If you'd made a thread saying "Is Kojima Productions entering crunch?", inviting actual discussion about the tweet then fine but you didn't. Instead you started with an assumption of crunch positioned as a fact, which sets the tone of the thread. That's what's irresponsible.

What is your alternative interpretation of the tweet? I can't even think what else it could mean? without an alternative explanation, I think the thread title stands.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It seems like a reach to assume he's just going to put out a tweet letting everyone know that the team is gonna start crunching. With that said, I hope there isn't any for the game but I wouldn't be surprised if there is.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Where are you getting this from because I can't find anything?
Can you please explain how you know this?

What does it mean instead?

I've lived and worked in Japan for nearly 6 years now. I can speak the language. I have never, ever heard this term.

Yet Hades is brought up in the Death Stranding trailer.

I'm not attacking you here but even a quick google of this would show you that it's nonsense.

Talax

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in Budget Preparation and there's a two month period where we do 12 hour work days.
Maybe it's different in other countries but personally I don't mind this because I know it's a limited known period of overtime. I have never seen a goal based job that doesn't involve overtime.

I feel like people overreact on doing overtime but again maybe it's something a little accepted over here which is why my opinion differs.

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
By that logic majority of ERA speaks perfect Japanese de arimasu.

Seriously. I'm guessing that the authors of those posts are either monolingual or American, or both.
I'm sure Kojima would have "bothered to learn" English on a fluent level if he wasn't so busy being a top Konami exec or making some of the world's most loved videogames over the last few decades.

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Given the ambiguity of the tweet, I've tweaked the title to use the language used by Kojima.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Are there [m]any creative fields without crunch phases toward the end of some projects and nearing deadlines?

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
You can't just go around claiming developers are crunching based off of a vague tweet. That's a serious statement to make, and a really shitty post.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yeah, fuck this thread. I'm not saying KojiPro doesn't resort to crunch (it's likely they do but that's more of a problem with the Japanese workforce as a whole) but making serious accusations based on a massive leap like this is fucked up.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Are there [m]any creative fields without crunch phases toward the end of some projects and nearing deadlines?
Very few, and even small indies do it. It's always a matter of scheduling though, but most developers go through the phase of leisurely tweaking and building a game until the release plan falls in their lap and then "oh shit we gotta crunch it".

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
What is your alternative interpretation of the tweet? I can't even think what else it could mean? without an alternative explanation, I think the thread title stands.

I honestly don't know, that's my point. Broken English that's really vague. It could for sure mean they're crunching, but positioning the thread like this with a hard accusation doesn't seem too smart to me. That's all.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate the title change, but it now renders the thread useless as it is based on a tweet...that says nothing. At this rate every tweet from industry personnel should get its own thread.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, fuck this thread. I'm not saying KojiPro doesn't resort to crunch (it's likely they do but that's more of a problem with the Japanese workforce as a whole) but making serious accusations based on a massive leap like this is fucked up.
Serious accusations, irresponsible, what next? We're discussing on a forum and you're free to express differing points of view, but some of you are taking it as if I let a kid die or provoke the Chernobyl disaster. Talk about hyperbole...