• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ClutchAnderson

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I loved working holidays when I was working at an IT help desk. Someone would normally bring a console, we'd order food or w/e and it even seemed like the end users calling in were more chill haha.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This! I always work these days, because nothing is going on anyway....so why take off?

Bingo. If I was traveling that would be one thing, but otherwise I'm working! Also, if I work Friday from home (which is dead) I get another vacation day to use. Can't beat that.

Coolluck

Oct 27, 2017
I'm working today too but am in autopilot mode. Enjoying these really slow times since it's not quarter or year end for us. Will do some last minute chores before the in-laws arrive tomorrow. Unfortunately have to work Friday but it'll be the same story with a blessing from the boss to peace out at lunch.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
This is like around the worst time of year to start a new job for me personally. I've been working at a new job and because of this time of year, I haven't been able to go through the normal routines and training that my position requires. People I need to interact with or train with are all constantly out due to them using their PTO, getting sick since it's flu season or Covid, being broken up by these short holiday weeks, people in holiday mode already…. And I'm remote so it feels extra hard and distant than being in the office. I don't think I'll be able to find my rhythm until after New Years. Just want this day to go by. 😪

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It's technically my 3rd day at my new job, had a quick meeting with my boss only for him to tell me to log off and enjoy the long weekend because all the access my job requires hasn't been setup yet, and most of the team is on PTO so I can't really do anything.

Gonna spend the time finishing No More Heroes 3 and watching season 2 of The Boys.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Just found out we will be at work Fri, but since most of the office wont it will probably be another free day.

This is like around the worst time of year to start a new job for me personally. I've been working at a new job and because of this time of year, I haven't been able to go through the normal routines and training that my position requires. People I need to interact with or train with are all constantly out due to them using their PTO, getting sick since it's flu season or Covid, being broken up by these short holiday weeks, people in holiday mode already…. And I'm remote so it feels extra hard and distant than being in the office. I don't think I'll be able to find my rhythm until after New Years. Just want this day to go by. 😪
I was in the exact same situation last year.

WFH, and my first day was the week before Thanksgiving, lol. And my very first day I started a day too early...because it was so hectic I didnt get the email for my actual start date, lol.

Things didnt get normal until Jan.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Librarian, it's mad slow but there's a single person here browsing.

Like, lady, go home - why are you even here

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Totally, and I'm busy as hell. Trying to focus on the concept of for everything I can get done today the less Monday Alice has to do.

Oct 25, 2017
We close 2 hours early the day before Thanksgiving for.....some reason.
I usually close on Wednesdays, so I instead had to wake up 2 hours earlier and work normal hours.
Only day of the year this is a thing. Last year I forgot and showed up late.
It's pretty much dead.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
Always worked the day before Thanksgiving. Hell, went to school the day before Thanksgiving too. Only time it was part of vacation was in college.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Just found out we will be at work Fri, but since most of the office wont it will probably be another free day.

I was in the exact same situation last year.

WFH, and my first day was the week before Thanksgiving, lol. And my very first day I started a day too early...because it was so hectic I didnt get the email for my actual start date, lol.

Things didnt get normal until Jan.

Yeah, it's pretty terrible. But the company has been so backed up already, they don't blame me or think much if I'm not performing to the best of my ability with what I was given lol.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I work from home and wrapped up everything I need to do yesterday lol. So I having an unofficial vacation day lol.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I have to correct the work done by my coworkers and for some fucking reason my boss decided that today is a good due date for our 2021 self-assessment (while they're off on PTO). So I'll be working late into the day.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
This is why my company either doesn't hire in November thru December, or at least won't onboard people until the new year starts.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Yeah I'm working today too. I could have taken a PTO day but everyone stops working at noon anyway so its not bad. I also am still working from home. Gotta get my turkey brine going here soon...

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I think I've had Thanksgiving WEEK off once in my adult working life.
That said, I haven't had to work on Black Friday in 15 years, so not complaining too hard 😎

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
This is why my company either doesn't hire in November thru December, or at least won't onboard people until the new year starts.

Yeah I've worked for companies who did the same but when the opportunity presents itself and of course you need to get paid, you can't always predict when you'll be hired lol.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Took a day of PTO today and Monday so I'll be rocking a 6 day weekend. Watched the first two episodes of Hawkeye this morning and I'm going to see the new Ghostbusters movie soon.

Oct 27, 2017
Flight was delayed yesterday, then got re-routed mid-air. Had to lay over, found a place to stay on the recommendation of a fellow traveler. Took the commuter rail this morning and a connecting bus the rest of the way to the airport. But these flights aren't going my way right now. About to try and rent a car, hope it's not a long walk. Wish me luck.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I work retail and work the closing shift today. Thankfully my store is closed tomorrow, but I'll be there at 7am on black Friday and Saturday.

The company has a rule that nobody, from the lowest-ranking full-timer up to store managers, is allowed to take any vacation days between November 1st and mid-January because of how busy we are. It's all-hands-on-deck for the next two months.

Bleh.

Irnbru

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I had it off, but since my gf is working, just doing documention working I need to catch up on anyway lol. Best day to do it tbh

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Decided to take a vacation day today because I knew I wouldn't be able to get anything done.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I took today off, but seeing as I'm WFH and literally my entire team took today off too, I likely could've clocked in and just not done much of anything. Oh well. Guilt-free is best.

Hopefully those of you working today at least have tomorrow off

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I actually just did about an hour of work which was unexpected for today. About to do a long lunch and then clock out at 2.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I'm at work and I aint't doing shit.

D-jzQEwW4AAeO8j.jpg

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I work from home but it's dead silence in terms of emails and assignments. Soooo yeah.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at work and it's fairly busy, but I'm about to head out on vacation next week so no one is really expecting me to pick up much work. Anything I pick up is going to get handed off to someone else later, so I'm mostly doing cleanup on other people's work.

Oct 27, 2017
I have the whole week off paid. I don't think my company's going to do this next year though, usually it's our slow period so we planned it, but we have been so busy that we are pushing back work to have this week off

solisolisoli

Jul 30, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
I work in the videography business and I have 30 videos to edit between today and christmas. Not complaining at all. I can work from home and take little breaks to be with my family.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I always work the day before thanksgiving. But as you say the office is a ghost town. We get tomorrow off and I did take PTO for Friday as well.

To be honest, being home today would be kind of miserable as we always host our families for Thanksgiving at our house so at home right now there is a whirlwind of cooking and cleaning and chaos. I would probably be put on cleaning detail if I were there, so working today is better for me, personally.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm at the office too. we are having smoked turkey, may open a bottle of something or other later. FedEx just picked up all outgoing packages so we are GOLDEN. browsing steam right now for sales.