• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Official PR - https://www.bandainamcoent.co.jp/pdfs/USA_DARK SOULS III_Surpasses 10 Million Units in Sales Worldwide.pdf
From PR: The timed worldwide release of DARK SOULS III, along with its support of 13 languages, brought players from around the world together to enjoy the game. Even after 4 years since its release, DARK SOULS III is active and strong due to the support of the many player communities established for the game, thus leading to the sales of over 10 million units and counting. The DARK SOULS series has cumulatively surpassed 27 million in sales, and has proven its deep-rooted popularity as an IP with the sales of various themed merchandise and goods, from action figures to apparel, and more.

A very impressive feat considering where the souls series started. The unique change in game-style from other titles on the market and its multi-platform releases I think added a lot to the series overall sales. We've come quite a long way from the days of petitioning a PC port of Dark Souls 1 for example.

Last edited:

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
It's pretty incredible that we live in a reality where a series like Dark Souls will have entries that individually sell better than the newest Gears, Halo, Tomb Raider, and Resident Evil games.

Officially bigger than Final Fantasy. :o

Also, yeah, this too. That's more than FFXV as well right? Dark Souls III has outsold that, Gears 4 and 5, Halo 5, Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 7 (and RE2 and 3 ofc, but those are newer so it's not as fair of a comparison).

Christ, imagine the budgeting and resources dedicated to Dark Souls III compared to titles like Halo and Tomb Raider. I bet the entire DS franchise was developed on a budget cheaper than Halo 5.

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely insane numbers for what is essentially an ostracizing series given its difficulty relative to most AAA games.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how much this series has grown. Was so niche initially.

Interested to see Demon Souls remaster on PS5 assuming it launches exclusively. Elden Ring is probably further out.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Damn its almost like they found a unique formula that sets their games apart from the pack and it built them a strong fanbase and they have zero reason to do things differently just because video games are hard.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
holy fucking shit are you kidding me

10 MILLION

so happy for from software, and pleasantly surprised that the market actually came through here.

elden ring is gonna be massive.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
The only non Nintendo Japanese console game that has done better is Monhun. Well deserved.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Amazing

But honestly, with that kind of money an Orchestra for the next game wouldn't be asking to much now? ;)

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Souls is weird because it's obviously super popular but it doesn't feel big outside of the internet. Like I don't meet people in my real life that talk about Dark Souls, like they might about Final Fantasy or Resident Evil or something. But I'm glad it's doing well.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Considering it's over 10 years since Demon's Souls, I would have figured I would burnout on FROM's formula by now, but they just keep getting better. Sekiro knocked my socks off and Elden Ring is one of my most anticipated games, they just need to keep doing what they do.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Neat-o! Discovering the Smouldering Lake in DS3 is one of my favorite moments in the medium.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
Man I remember in 2013 when there was like one other person in my school who knew what Dark Souls was and I was desperately trying to shill it to everyone. Now it's huge. Amazing how far it's come.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Huh, 27M combined. There's only 3 titles, right? So that would mean that 1+2 represent another 17M, which is quite a crazy amount as well. Do we have more detailed numbers for those?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Also shoutout to the success of DS1 for opening the eyes of Japanese devs to their games being able to sell well on steam.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Also shoutout to the success of DS1 for opening the eyes of Japanese devs to their games being able to sell well on steam.

DS really was the turn-around for JPN games coming to steam wasn't it.
Feels like ages when something like Agarest War coming to steam was a HUGE deal and now it's common place lol.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Huh, 27M combined. There's only 3 titles, right? So that would mean that 1+2 represent another 17M, which is quite a crazy amount as well. Do we have more detailed numbers for those?

Well, there was Scholar of the First Sin, and Remaster of the original as well.

Hugely impressive though. Some people still think this series is niche!

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
The only non Nintendo Japanese console game that has done better is Monhun. Well deserved.
Jesus christ this is insane.

The two best selling (non-Nintendo) Japanese games are Monster Hunter World and Dark Souls III? Literally two of the most 'hardcore' series around? I find it so hard to believe and insane, yet here we are.