• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
I'm shocked no one has mentioned The Immortal. Or I missed it.

I mean it was instant death if you screwed up and lots of game mechanic s that had zero forgiveness like losing items forever if combined wrong.

Also fatal labyrinth is an honorable mention.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This bastard, cost me so many hours:

71%2BMJUlmfQL._SL1140_.jpg

Alien Soldier is a freaking masterpiece everyone should experience at least once in their timeline. It has a very deep and skill-based combat system that makes it a perfect fit for this thread except for the sci-fi theme, so props for thinking outside the box.

To anyone that hasn't played it: imagine one of the top-tier dev teams made a fantastic Genesis / Mega Drive game that was lost to time. Imagine they scrapped everything, except for the spectacular final stage and boss that uses some of the most high-tech effects available to the Genesis. Now repeat that process 20-30 more times, then string all these final stages together in order of difficulty: that's Alien Soldier.

If you don't believe me, watch a longplay. Click on random places of the timeline and count how many times you get a screenshot that looks like the final boss for another game.

Last edited:

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
This is a badass game.

But the NES Ninja Gaiden games were meant to be played fast. You have to be perfect and felt like a badass when it was all working but I am not sure it is equivalent to Dark Souls.

What you are saying is true, but the way I compare it is by a scale that assumes the evolution of gameplay concepts/mechanics over time; sometimes even due to the technical limitations. To me it seems like that requirement of learning / remembering the level and enemy patterns, married to fast reflexes, is something that can be seen as contributing to what eventually became Dark Souls.

Also, it was one of those games of the time that did a pretty good job with level boss mechanics.

I'll admit though that I only have passing interest in the Souls games, so perhaps I'm missing something.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
All ARPGs were Souls in the 8bit days.

Battle of Olympus
Clash at Demonhead
Crystalis
Final Fantasy Adventure
Gargoyle's Quest series
Golvellius
Legacy of the Wizard
Legend of Zelda series
Maze of Galious
Monster Land series
Neutopia series
Rygar
Xak series
Xanadu series
Ys series
and tons more

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Spiderman vs the Kingpin. If I recall, when you die, you have to repeat the entire game. I got to Kingpin but never beat him.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having gone away from this thread, thought a bit and come back, I'm sticking with my original pick of Castlevania.
Specifically the first and third games, plus Rondo of Blood for the 16-bit flavour.

The thing about Dark Souls is that it's punishingly hard, but it's also fair in its own specific way. You have to become a master of a) the mechanics and b) memorisation of every single detail of each "level" and how you can approach it optimally. It's a gauntlet, but it hasn't been designed to be specifically impossible, it just requires trial and error.

Traditional Castlevania is the exact same. The game presents you with a path from A to B, and spreads out hazards and tough enemies liberally through, deliberately making you stop, think and plan. It's hard in the same way as Dark Souls - you're presented with a situation that seems unfair, but the levels are intricately designed to make them achievable if you have enough time to learn them.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Not 16 bit but I was surprised how much King's Field felt like a really shitty playing Dark Souls.

Vince-DiCola

Banned
May 22, 2019
Culloden
I thought of Legendary Axe for this topic. It doesn't quite have the exploration aspect, but one thing it really has in common with Soulsborne is the emphasis on understanding mechanics and enemy patterns.

I've never played Moonstone, but after watching the video I'd highly recommend checking out Driven Out,. It definitely carries the spirit of methodical 1v1 combat, and sorta looks like it came from the same era too. 😂

I've added the cheesy/awesome trailer below.

This looks pretty cool.
Reminds me of The Bastards Tale quite a bit

I do wonder who holds the rights to Moonstone these days..

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I
Altered Beast. Probably more deaths than my first DS run lol

Great write up here...
www.gamesradar.com

Insane difficulty and joke endings - looking back at Altered Beast, 30 years later

As Sega classic Altered Beast celebrates its 30th birthday we look back at the divisive classic
Was at night tavern in Boston a couple years ago and they had altered beasts in the back by the bathrooms. On my way back to my table I stopped to play since it was free. Holy crap, good thing I didn't have to pay cause that wouldve cost a fortune to beat otherwise!

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
I
Was at night tavern in Boston a couple years ago and they had altered beasts in the back by the bathrooms. On my way back to my table I stopped to play since it was free. Holy crap, good thing I didn't have to pay cause that wouldve cost a fortune to beat otherwise!
Imagine hearing that soundtrack every time you go for a piss. Insanely jealous :D
I remember being utterly blown away by the graphics, and it's up there with Blood Money for difficulty!

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I'd argue Ghosts n Goblins/Ghouls n Ghosts is much the same (aside from getting stuff with a shit weapon). Its just down to learning levels and enemies, they are nowhere near as difficult as they are made out to be. Even clearing the game twice is a relatively simple task from my experience.

This is honestly true for a ton of games people claim are unfair. Many time they aren't, they just require more learning and recognition than other games. In genres like shmups learning patterns in tough games will translate to other games in that style too, just like learning how to play well in one Dark Souls game will help you in the other From games in that style.

Dark Souls games are very difficult but fair. Some of the games on this list are just unfairly difficult games.

Many of them aren't though, they are just more difficult. When we talk about unfair we'd have to go into some I Wanna Be The Guy fangame territory like BS, but even good players in that subgenre can hop game to game and do well.

time to git gud, kids

Still easier than Gradius 3 Arcade proper.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No mention of Kenseiden on the Sega Master System yet? (I guess it's more like Sekiro in theme). It's difficult, methodical, has defensive moves, and is focused on melee combat. It doesn't have experience points like Zelda 2 but if you fail the cruel bonus rounds to advance your character stats, you get sent back to the beginning.

Check it out. It's one of the best platform/adventure games of the 8-bit era.

kenseiden-ue-001.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly true for a ton of games people claim are unfair. Many time they aren't, they just require more learning and recognition than other games. In genres like shmups learning patterns in tough games will translate to other games in that style too, just like learning how to play well in one Dark Souls game will help you in the other From games in that style.
Agree with this 1000%. Again, maybe its just because I grew up with NES "hard" games, but several that are viewed as hard listed in this thread to me, are merely what I'd consider normal difficulty - Turtles is the one that jumps out the most that confuses me - especially the Dam level - because before you tackle that you get the opportunity to get pizza that heals you pretty much 100%, and since you can enter back into the level from the exit and grab said health for each turtle real quick, you should be at full health x4 characters going into it. Learning the bomb pattern is just that - pattern memorisation (and something I'll probably never forget) and any tough obstacles... well you have four turtles so just swap if one runs low. And then you have the first stage in level 3 that has a half and full pizza in it so you can easily heal any wounds from the previous level and go about your way.

Survivortype

May 2, 2018
Van City
The hardest SNES game I can rmb was Hook. The game was crazy hard with the flying mechanic.

For NES, Castle Quest was hair tearing to play. The entire game is a bad controlling platform where you have to find keys and unlock doors/chests.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Old games were really made for arcade,
in the Arcade days, the point was to extract coins out of players.
From the latest NES Work gaiden by JeremyParish the point was to extract a coin EVERY 3 minutes.
So yeah games were HARD AS BALLS back then.
Like if you hadn't put a coin in the last 3 minutes then the designers didn't their jobs.
Or in layman's terms, games weren't long so they compensated by being hard and some compensated HARD.

And my pick would be Ghouls & Ghost and affiliated (like Gargoyle's Quest subseries that end with the majestic Demon Crest).

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about Dark Souls is that it's punishingly hard, but it's also fair in its own specific way. You have to become a master of a) the mechanics and b) memorisation of every single detail of each "level" and how you can approach it optimally. It's a gauntlet, but it hasn't been designed to be specifically impossible, it just requires trial and error.

I think you're wrong about memorization. You don't have to memorize the particular level layouts at all; what you have to do is learn how the elements of the level behave, and plan your actions around that.

To more precise, both series are built around the deliberate use of high-commitment actions. There's no adjusting your trajectory once you've jumped in Castlevania, just like there's no interrupting your attack animation in Dark Souls. Playing well means observing your surroundings until you can to predict the right moment to take the right action, and then having the self-control to wait for that moment (Aaron Burr would have been great at both games). Memorizing the obstacles doesn't actually get you there, because you also have to use your understanding of your own constrained capabilities to plan around those obstacles. People run into trouble with Castlevania because they try to play it reactively instead of playing it deliberately, and then they get frustrated when they jump right into a Medusa's Head and blame it on the "bad controls".

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
The Souls series haves alot in common with (Super) Metroid. Yes, it's a whole different theme with Science Fiction <-> Fantasy, but the approach to the gameplay feels very similar.

Just played Super Metroid for the first time recently and I felt the same way. Even finding save rooms while exploring felt very souls like.

LoadRunner

Sep 19, 2020
ActRaiser_2_box_art.jpg

I remember this game having great atmosphere and difficulty, not sure how it holds up.

Flashback (Another World) was also Soulsesque to me as I memorized every enemy location and had a hard time with it. Haven't played it in years so maybe I was just bad at the game! Way different atmosphere obviously

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
They've already been mentioned a thousand times but it's Castlevania and Mega Man. I got into both of those games because I loved Dark Souls and wanted something of similar design, and they definitely scratched that itch. Plus the music is incredible in both