• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
fhtcbNS.gif

The Dark Pictures Anthology is a series of stand-alone, horror games, designed to present a new, terrifying experience on a regular basis. Each game is unconnected and will feature a brand new story, setting, and new cast of characters. The first in the anthology is titled Man of Medan. The anthology format gives Supermassive Games the opportunity to tap into a variety of horror sub-genres. The studio has already identified 39 that they would love to represent in the anthology, but that would take some time!

The story of Man of Medan starts off on a dive boat in the South Pacific. With a rumoured WWII wreck to find, and plenty of on-deck partying to be had, our group of 4 young Americans and their skipper Fliss get ready for what should be the trip of a lifetime…but it doesn't go quite to plan. As the day unfolds, and a storm rolls in, they find themselves trapped on board a ghost ship. Subjected to unimaginable stress and terror, they must try to find a way to escape the ship and its sinister history.

MOM_OT_GP._tab.png

MOM_GP_stuff.png

Players can take the role of each of the five protagonists, each with a different perspective, to explore and discover the mysteries of their terrifying situation – and make decisions that will change their lives forever.

Man of Medan, like all games in the anthology, is designed to be re-playable, with branching storylines, paths, and numerous endings designed to keep players coming back time and again. In fact there is more branching in Man of Medan than any of the studio's previous games. Players' decisions are vitally important for the survival of all characters, as all the playable characters can live, and any and all of them can die, depending on the choices you make at any turn.

Through the protagonists eyes you will uncover the secrets of the mystery surrounding the ill-fated boat. Figuring this out can save their lives – but whether or not they all escape is up to you.

MOM_OT_ch._tab_Multiplayer.png

MoM_ways_to_play_1.0.png

Players will be able to team up to tackle horrors in online and offline multiplayer modes for The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan. All games from The Dark Pictures Anthology will feature these two multiplayer modes in addition to the single player experience.

Shared Story Mode
- Share your story simultaneously with a friend in 2 Player online co-op
- Both players explore the world and make choices and actions that affect the outcome of the story and the fate of the characters you are playing
- Play through scenes from a different perspective to the single-player experience, sometimes together, sometimes apart in totally separate scenes revealing new information, locations and scares
- The decisions you and your friend make could be the one thing that keeps them all alive…

Movie Night Mode
- Play locally in a group of up to 5 players with one controller, pass the pad and play the character of your choice in turn
- Each player takes charge of the movement, decisions and choices of one of the five main characters
- Will you make decisions just to save your own character? Or try and keep everyone else alive?
- At the end of your playthrough, your actions and impacts throughout the playthrough will be judged
– with achievements & rewards for each player

MOM_OT_ch._tab_2.0.png

MOM_Ch._mol._temp._julia_final.png

MOM_Ch._mol._temp._conrad_final.png

MOM_Ch._mol._temp._fliss_final.png

MOM_Ch._mol._temp._brad_final.png

MOM_Ch._mol._temp._alex_final.png

MOM_OT_info._tab.png

Man_of_Medan_info_1.0.png

MOM_OT_ch._tab_studio.png

Supermassive Games are an independent game developer with a reputation for innovation in both storytelling and VR. They have released a number of successful titles and are best known for the critically acclaimed PS4 hit Until Dawn. Founded in 2008, the studio is now home to over 150 talented individuals working across a range of storytelling and VR titles.

The studio has received numerous awards, including a BAFTA for Until Dawn, and was included on the prestigious Deloitte UK Technology Fast 50 and Technology Fast 500 lists in 2013. The studio also works with GamesAid, other charities and educational establishments.

With a passion to deliver both high-end interactive drama and boundary-breaking VR, Supermassive Games is carving a unique and exciting path in the games industry.

MoM_studio._slide._1.0.png

MOM_Re._1.0.png

IGN - 7

It's not easy to keep everyone alive in Man of Medan, and you won't necessarily want to, especially in 2-player co-op.G

Gamespot - 6

Man of Medan is a thinner, flawed follow-up to Until Dawn that is saved by its online co-op mode.

USGamer - 3/5

With Man of Medan, Supermassive builds on the foundation established in 2015's Until Dawn. While the core of the game remains the same, driven by dialog, choices, and quick-time events, the developers has added some multiplayer action to the mix. The two-player online Shared Story is the primary highlight here, allowing two players to simultaneously determine the course of the story. Unfortunately, the story itself isn't as good as the horror yarn spun in Until Dawn.

Destructoid - 7

Supermassive Games is quickly proving that they have a knack for high budget adventure projects that many studios simply do not. I have no idea when the next "Dark Pictures universe" entry is coming, but I'll be waiting for it.

GamesBeat - 88
I think this is much more fun and takes advantage of the fundamentally social nature of the choose-your-adventure style gameplay in Man of Medan.

MOM_OT_ch._credits_2.1.png

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
That title LOL. I am drowning in my backlog but will definitely get it at one point. Is there a video of the preorder theme?

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I loved Until Dawn and can't wait to play through this with my wife on Monday. Even if it's half as a good as Until Dawn, its the perfect type of game that my wife can play because she's terrible with modern controllers and we love horror, good and bad.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
so thinking about playing this with a friend tomorrow night. Just one question regarding the multiplayer
So in Movie night Mode, if you play with just 2 players, who will choose what happens to the other 3 characters that weren't chosen? Or are these split up between the two players? I won't be able to convince my budy to shell out the money for another copy so online coop is out of the question unfortunately...

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
so thinking about playing this with a friend tomorrow night. Just one question regarding the multiplayer
So in Movie night Mode, if you play with just 2 players, who will choose what happens to the other 3 characters that weren't chosen? Or are these split up between the two players? I won't be able to convince my budy to shell out the money for another copy so online coop is out of the question unfortunately...
In Movie night mode you and your friend will choose which character (or characters) to play, then simply pass the pad whenever that character is the focus of the game.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
In Movie night mode you and your friend will choose which character (or characters) to play, then simply pass the pad whenever that character is the focus of the game.
So each player can choose more than one character to play? So for example Player one can play as characters 1,2,3 and Player 2 as Characters 4,5 ?

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The guy from Little Hope reminds me to someone but I don't know to who lol.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
looking forward to this despite the fair-to-middlin' reviews.

question: why does everyone seem to forget about 'hidden agenda' which is absolutely one of the best party games going?

Axiom

Oct 25, 2017
Loved Until Dawn, I think it's the best of its type.
The Movie night mode style is exactly how we played Until Dawn anyway.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I hated Hidden Agenda. Just the most tired, bland cop movie tropes, and having to play the game with a laggy phone app was just a terrible decision. The game had these timed pixel hunt moments where I literally couldn't find three interactible items on the screen in time because the controls didn't work well enough. And then I made a choice towards the end which instantly locked me into a total wet fart of an ending, and found that with no checkpoints the only way to see another ending is to play the entire, unskippable thing from the beginning. Absolutely dreadful.

But I really liked Until Dawn, so I guess I'm hoping Man of Medan is more Until Dawn, less Hidden Agenda. Hopefully I'll be getting my copy tomorrow.

bitunoriginal

Oct 27, 2017
Just arrived in the post - can't wait to play. My girlfriend absolutely loved Until Dawn so I'm hoping this is going to be a winner. She's not really into gaming but she really enjoys these kinds of games.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I noticed my preload on the PS4 had like 2-3 other patches applied, does anyone know if that fixed the performance at all?

OP
OP
Angie

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I'm tempted, but I'm going digital until the full collection is available! I've got my fingers firmly crossed and I'm pestering everyone I know to buy it too.
I believe the game will have a good word to mouth, especially once the youtubers and streamer start playing it, and movie night could be awesome as party game.
And I'm glad you are doing that. Trust me I been annoying some people on discord until they buy it lol

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gah Steam is fuckin with me saying it's unlocking in 5 minutes, then pushing back every time.

Thadeus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice OT! Quality of the OT's has dropped recently with some of the recent games =P

Can we expect some gifs much?

40325.jpg

Vagger

Oct 29, 2017
The opening song was very nice! And a nice callback.
The game so far feels very much like UD, just a smaller game and episodic-like and with a different engine. Can't wait to play more!