• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017

The journey begins as darkness rises. Join three Gelfling heroes on an epic quest to save their world.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance premieres August 30.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What the hell is this? Never heard about it, but it looks beautiful.

The Dark Crystal is a movie that came out in 1982 from the jim hensen company,

they're working with netflix to bring a prequel series to the platform, using tons of practical effects and puppets like they did in the 80s film

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
The original movie was one of my all time favorites as a kid, will check this out for sure.

OP
OP
WhySoDevious

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
I really hope they include some behind-the-scene featurettes cause that's something I want to watch as much as the series itself.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Gelflings... moeesiia gelfings.

Holy shit, it's been years since saw the OG movie and this looks like a proper fusion of puppetry and CGI.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
WHAT??? This looks wonderful omg. And it has Anya Taylor-Joy and Nathalie Emmanuel in it???

I might have just teared up a little.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm 40 years old and somehow have never seen The Dark Crystal... this looks fantastic though. I think I need to watch the movie before this releases.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Some of those characters have surprised pikachu expressions and I couldn't help but laugh. But lots of those designs are gorgeous. I'll give it a show

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
One thing this will have over the film is thanks to digital wizardy they'll presumably be able to always stick to puppets and not have to switch to live actors for wide stunt shots (it's a little jarring in the film when the puppet suddenly switches to an obviously real person climbing a rock or running or whatever).

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
That looked like straight fire.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Well you can do a lot more in a series format than you can in a single movie runtime.

it wasn't a function of limited running time so much as the original film being far more interested in worldbuilding than in actually populating that world with interesting characters (far from the first or last fantasy/SF to fall prey to that problem). Main reason why I found Labyrinth to have aged much better out of Jim Henson's two 1980s fantasy films

sophora

Oct 29, 2017
Just re-watched the Dark Crystal on netflix recently, this trailer gave me goosebumps. Reminds me a lot of the designs and puppetry of the movie but with so much better tech we have now. Can't wait to see this in August.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
it wasn't a function of limited running time so much as the original film being far more interested in worldbuilding than in actually populating that world with interesting characters (far from the first or last fantasy/SF to fall prey to that problem). Main reason why I found Labyrinth to have aged much better out of Jim Henson's two 1980s fantasy films

True true, the movie def has issues. This looks very promising and hopefully doesn't succumb to similar pitfalls.