• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen Evangelion so I can't comment much on the difference but the first translation reads more naturally at a glance.

As an aside, "The show still had the iconic original theme, and Casey Mongillo did an excellent job voicing the main character, Shinji Ikari". This is so cool to hear. I worked with Casey on a mod for Skyrim way back in 2013 so it's really nice to see them working on such a big project! A shame about this translation stuff. The translator sounds like... yeah.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
"His defense of a more "literal" translation is under further scrutiny by people who noticed that every instance of "terrorist" was replaced with "leftist" or "left-wing terrorist." "

When ur translator is a Trumpist

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The homoerotic subtext is entirely blatant in the original Evangelion. People arguing it could be translated as "like" seem like they've never watched the show, let alone the movies.

Well, too bad.

This is a Japanese show from the 90s. Not every single piece of dialogue needs to be filtered through American sensibilities as to not specifically make leftists think it's a dig at antifa.

1) The world is larger than America. Nobody outside Japan is going to understand what "leftist" refers to in this context. Hell, new generations in Japan probably won't, either.
2) This kind of "don't localize, literally translate everything" nonsense is what gives us "senpai-chan" weeb fansubs.

Oct 27, 2017
The homoerotic subtext is entirely blatant in the original Evangelion. People arguing it could be translated as "like" seem like they've never watched the show, let alone the movies.

Yes because you can never show romantic feelings by saying you "like" someone. Some of you seem like type to tell someone you want to date or having feelings for by "I you love you" right off the bat

"His defense of a more "literal" translation is under further scrutiny by people who noticed that every instance of "terrorist" was replaced with "leftist" or "left-wing terrorist." "

When ur translator is a Trumpist

The tweet is gone. You sure that wasn't what was originally said?

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
The dub wasn't bad but this change is a big stain on it, even ignoring it represents some form of queer representation in an era that had almost none, why would Shinji be suicidal in EOE because Kaworu said "i like you"
Gee, who knows. What say we look at the last couple months of this kid's life and see what we can puzzle out...
(Timeline source is suspiciously overly-specific, but it's in the ballpark, so I'll run with it...)

Shinji spends 16 hours in an Angel, contemplating death by asphyxiation, and alternating between panic attacks and hallucinations. Fluke near-death-experience Eva fuckery ensues. The psychological trauma is enough to start tanking his sync rate.

A week and a half later, he's made to crush and mangle his friend by proxy. Understandable rage ensues, and his father orders him rendered unconscious.

Shinji spends the next couple of days in jail. He decides to cut ties and bail on everything. Then another Angel attacks, and he sees innocents get crushed under the decapitated head of Asuka's Eva, followed by Rei's Eva getting wrecked. Kaji guilts him into jumping back into an Eva, where more psychotic-break Eva fuckery gets him absorbed. A month later (subjectively, nothing[?]) it squirts him back out, naked and traumatized. A couple days later, he finds out that Kaji got plugged.

Another week later, Shinji gets to sit impotently and listen to Asuka getting mindfucked. Thereafter, Asuka is clearly very damaged, and falls into a depressive spiral, to which Shinji gets front-row seats.

Half a week later, Rei kills herself to take out an Angel. Misato figures that gross violations of trust are an acceptable method for consoling grief -- Shinji doesn't approve. Then a couple days later, Rei un-dies. Shortly thereafter, Ritsuko reveals that everything they've been doing is a lie, Rei is a creepy quasi-human soul-puppet, and she turns the Ayanami fishbowl into a meaty horror-show in front of him.

Shinji decides that hobo-ing around NERV is preferable to Misato's brand of surrogate parenthood. What few civilian friends decide Tokyo-3 is too dangerous and leave. Shinji is left is an emotional basketcase, bereft of an emotional support network -- simultaneously desperate for and terrified of emotional intimacy.

Then Kowaru shows up one morning, talking like he's auditioning for a role in a Matrix sequel. By evening, he's providing the trappings of close friendship to a boy desperate for them -- mostly by steamrolling Shinji's reticence by acting overly personal/familiar (as a creature with no ego barrier or concept of personal space might do...). The next day, Kowaru unveils his betrayal, surprising absolutely no one (except Shinji). He holds everything hostage, and forces Shinji to kill him (mirroring the proxy maiming of Touji, but for real this time).

Shortly thereafter, Shinji finds out about Asuka's suicide attempt and catatonia.
So, over the course of about two months, Shinji has:
  • two near-death experiences,
  • two psychotic breaks,
  • a month as an egoless fluid,
  • a friend crippled at his own hands,
  • one squadmate in a depressive spiral,
  • the other squadmate killed and revealed as an undead Lovecraftian horror,
  • one quasi-surrogate-parent dead,
  • one surrogate parent (and superior officer) violating trust,
  • one actual parent violating trust,
  • learned everything he's been fighting for revealed as a lie,
  • lost what little emotional support structure he has left,
  • had friendship offered and betrayed in the worst possible way, when he was most vulnerable,
  • that depressed squadmate? just took a knife to herself.
Clearly, Shinji has no reason to be emotionally fragile. At all.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having watched Evangelion for the first time ever via the Netflix release -- I don't fully get the big problem with the change. Even with this new translation, it's pretty clear the romantic relationship forming between Shinji and Kaworu.

From my first-time-watching perspective, I like the more subtle nature of the lines. Kaworu literally comes and goes in a single episode. To me, it seems too... abrupt to jump straight to 'love' within such a short time period. Also that feels like too firm of a statement to explain the relationship on screen. I think that 'like' seems appropriately nebulous and awkward -- which, really, is how any relationship that new would really be.

I think it's overblown to jump to calling a more nebulous phrasing within an obvious burgeoning queer relationship as 'erasing the queerness'.

The problem with the relationship there is not the words used -- it's the short period of it, and the lack of time to really flesh it out and watch it grow naturally -- and that's not a problem with any translation, but one of scripting and pacing.

That is, unless the point of 'love' is that is was such a firm statement that is normally inappropriate so early in a relationship -- but I didn't get that sense watching it.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Gee, who knows. What say we look at the last couple months of this kid's life and see what we can puzzle out...
(Timeline source is suspiciously overly-specific, but it's in the ballpark, so I'll run with it...)

Shinji spends 16 hours in an Angel, contemplating death by asphyxiation, and alternating between panic attacks and hallucinations. Fluke near-death-experience Eva fuckery ensues. The psychological trauma is enough to start tanking his sync rate.

A week and a half later, he's made to crush and mangle his friend by proxy. Understandable rage ensues, and his father orders him rendered unconscious.

Shinji spends the next couple of days in jail. He decides to cut ties and bail on everything. Then another Angel attacks, and he sees innocents get crushed under the decapitated head of Asuka's Eva, followed by Rei's Eva getting wrecked. Kaji guilts him into jumping back into an Eva, where more psychotic-break Eva fuckery gets him absorbed. A month later (subjectively, nothing[?]) it squirts him back out, naked and traumatized. A couple days later, he finds out that Kaji got plugged.

Another week later, Shinji gets to sit impotently and listen to Asuka getting mindfucked. Thereafter, Asuka is clearly very damaged, and falls into a depressive spiral, to which Shinji gets front-row seats.

Half a week later, Rei kills herself to take out an Angel. Misato figures that gross violations of trust are an acceptable method for consoling grief -- Shinji doesn't approve. Then a couple days later, Rei un-dies. Shortly thereafter, Ritsuko reveals that everything they've been doing is a lie, Rei is a creepy quasi-human soul-puppet, and she turns the Ayanami fishbowl into a meaty horror-show in front of him.

Shinji decides that hobo-ing around NERV is preferable to Misato's brand of surrogate parenthood. What few civilian friends decide Tokyo-3 is too dangerous and leave. Shinji is left is an emotional basketcase, bereft of an emotional support network -- simultaneously desperate for and terrified of emotional intimacy.

Then Kowaru shows up one morning, talking like he's auditioning for a role in a Matrix sequel. By evening, he's providing the trappings of close friendship to a boy desperate for them -- mostly by steamrolling Shinji's reticence by acting overly personal/familiar (as a creature with no ego barrier or concept of personal space might do...). The next day, Kowaru unveils his betrayal, surprising absolutely no one (except Shinji). He holds everything hostage, and forces Shinji to kill him (mirroring the proxy maiming of Touji, but for real this time).

Shortly thereafter, Shinji finds out about Asuka's suicide attempt and catatonia.
So, over the course of about two months, Shinji has:
  • two near-death experiences,
  • two psychotic breaks,
  • a month as an egoless fluid,
  • a friend crippled at his own hands,
  • one squadmate in a depressive spiral,
  • the other squadmate killed and revealed as an undead Lovecraftian horror,
  • one quasi-surrogate-parent dead,
  • one surrogate parent (and superior officer) violating trust,
  • one actual parent violating trust,
  • learned everything he's been fighting for revealed as a lie,
  • lost what little emotional support structure he has left,
  • had friendship offered and betrayed in the worst possible way, when he was most vulnerable,
  • that depressed squadmate? just took a knife to herself.
Clearly, Shinji has no reason to be emotionally fragile. At all.
The last few episodes of NGE Shinji did harden up a bit after Kaji's little speech to him, Kaworu is 100% what sent him into a deep depressed state.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
If anyone is interested, the Polish translation still uses the "love" word:

Kaworu: "Darzę cię czcią."
Shinji: "Czcią?"
Kaworu: "Czyli miłością."

Which means, in rough translation:
Kaworu: "I honor you."
Shinji: "Honor?"
Kaworu: "It means love."

So it's a problem with the English translation (which, in general, looks really stilted and unnatural) rather than new translations in general.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Neither the plot nor the new subs give any context to foreign viewers about 1995/2015's Japanese politics. If you have to start doing Japanese history lessons for your script to not seem shitty to the people you're making for, you fucked up. Know your audience.
In Japan at the time leftist terrorist groups were more in the public eye due to the red army which was active during Anno's most impressionable years.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017

1) The world is larger than America. Nobody outside Japan is going to understand what "leftist" refers to in this context. Hell, new generations in Japan probably won't, either.
2) This kind of "don't localize, literally translate everything" nonsense is what gives us "senpai-chan" weeb fansubs.
1. The conversation was specifically about Americans taking issue with the use of leftist and trying to paint the use as a dog whistle for the alt-right. Yes, the world is bigger than just America. That's my point.

2. This isn't a literal translation, you're the one asking for a literal translation. This translation took the word "sect" and translated it to show what the author meant with "sect" since it was referring to a specific use of the word and not just the general concept of "sect".

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having watched Evangelion for the first time ever via the Netflix release -- I don't fully get the big problem with the change. Even with this new translation, it's pretty clear the romantic relationship forming between Shinji and Kaworu.

From my first-time-watching perspective, I like the more subtle nature of the lines. Kaworu literally comes and goes in a single episode. To me, it seems too... abrupt to jump straight to 'love' within such a short time period. Also that feels like too firm of a statement to explain the relationship on screen. I think that 'like' seems appropriately nebulous and awkward -- which, really, is how any relationship that new would really be.

I think it's overblown to jump to calling a more nebulous phrasing within an obvious burgeoning queer relationship as 'erasing the queerness'.

The problem with the relationship there is not the words used -- it's the short period of it, and the lack of time to really flesh it out and watch it grow naturally -- and that's not a problem with any translation, but one of scripting and pacing.

That is, unless the point of 'love' is that is was such a firm statement that is normally inappropriate so early in a relationship -- but I didn't get that sense watching it.

I disagree. Kaworu's presentation in that scene is very tranquil and composed, nothing about him really conveys that he's an awkward or unsure kid. So given that, I think Kaworu's calm manner needs to be sufficiently contrasted with a bolder admission or statement, to not seem relatively aloof! Otherwise it almost comes across as an older brother, one old enough to have an excess of perspective or clarity (relative to Shinji), basically saying "you know what kid, you're alright!"

Anno said something about Kaworu being like an idealized version of Shinji, and that poise is one of the things responsible for how Kaworu is able to so casually close the distance between them, a distance that a more reserved or unsure personality wouldn't be able to traverse so easily. So maybe if English had a common or available word to convey something between like and love, this wouldn't seem so pronounced, but given that Kaworu isn't a normal kid and doesn't really recognize conventional boundaries between people, I think love seems entirely apropos.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
1. The conversation was specifically about Americans taking issue with the use of leftist and trying to paint the use as a dog whistle for the alt-right. Yes, the world is bigger than just America. That's my point.
My point is that it's absurd to assume only American leftists would take issue with it. I'm Spanish (i.e. neither geographically in America the continent, nor an English speaker), and I do take issue with it.

You are saying "they should not localize this for the sake of Americans", when it would be for the sake of literally everyone not in Japan. You are using "America" to mean "not Japan"; I take much more issue with that than with the supposed condescension in actually doing his damn job as a localizer.

2. This isn't a literal translation, you're the one asking for a literal translation. This translation took the word "sect" and translated it to show what the author meant with "sect" since it was referring to a specific use of the word and not just the general concept of "sect".

This is the opposite to your original point that the meaning should be left as close as possible to the original. It's surreal to me that you're OK with the translator localizing "sectist" as "leftist" rather than "terrorist". Either you localize it ("terrorist"), or translate it ("sectist"); both are at least understandable for a foreing viewer, much more than "leftist". Using arcane knowledge of Japanese politics entirely unknown to viewers to "pseudo-localize" its meaning but not its intent is the worst of both worlds.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is the opposite to your original point that the meaning should be left as close as possible to the original. It's surreal to me that you're OK with the translator localizing "sectist" as "leftist" rather than "terrorist". Either you localize it ("terrorist"), or translate it ("sectist"); both are at least understandable for a foreing viewer, much more than "leftist". Using arcane knowledge of Japanese politics entirely unknown to viewers to "pseudo-localize" its meaning but not its intent is the worst of both worlds.
Why would it not carry its intent when it's closer to who was originally meant by "sect"?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
My point is that it's absurd to assume only American leftists would take issue with it. I'm Spanish (i.e. neither geographically in America the continent, nor an English speaker), and I do take issue with it.

You are saying "they should not localize this for the sake of Americans", when it would be for the sake of literally everyone not in Japan. You are using "America" to mean "not Japan"; I take much more issue with that than with the supposed condescension in actually doing his damn job as a localizer.
My comments and the ones I was replying to were all within the context of Americans taking issue with the translation because of American politics. I'm sorry if a conversation that wasn't about you didn't include you. I can't go back in time and tell the people I was replying to to change what they said.

Why would it be translated to terrorists? The sentence is expressing that a sect committed a terrorist attack. If you you say terrorist twice then it changes the meaning of what was said (it also sounds goofy) and if you leave sectist then you change the historical context which the line was written.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is interested, the Polish translation still uses the "love" word:

Kaworu: "Darzę cię czcią."
Shinji: "Czcią?"
Kaworu: "Czyli miłością."

Which means, in rough translation:
Kaworu: "I honor you."
Shinji: "Honor?"
Kaworu: "It means love."

So it's a problem with the English translation (which, in general, looks really stilted and unnatural) rather than new translations in general.
Yeah, they used the word, but they've completely wrecked the preceding sentence, turning it into a clunky non sequitur. They've also twisted "favor/grace" into "worship/honor."
I wouldn't use a bad translation to find "problems" in another.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it transition well in translation to our culture? Does it mean the same thing? Is it integral to the plot?
The answer to all three of your question is. It's completely immaterial.

Art shouldn't contort itself for different times. It what it was is. Especially for a bunch of insecure children.
That because you're insecure.

It's not some conspiracy.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
That because you're insecure.

It's not some conspiracy.

Or, and bear with me here, your condescending armchair psychoanalysis isn't worth the bytes it's stored in, and I simply don't like "leftist" being used as a shorthand for a terrorist group.

Crazy, I know. :O

The term is simply incorrect in English. You wouldn't refer to them as "leftists", even in normal conversation. You would refer to them as the (Japanese) New Left, because otherwise nobody is going to know what the fuck you're talking about. It's the exact same thing in a localization; if the international audience has no hope of knowing what the characters are talking about (where a Japanese audience presumably would), you have failed as a localizer. Period.

I'd love to see you try to get a job as a localizer by telling the interviewer you're perfectly fine leaving a translated product unintelligible because "art shouldn't contort itself for different times". :D

Last edited:

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or, and bear with me here, your condescending armchair psychoanalysis isn't worth the bytes it's stored in, and I simply don't like "leftist" being used as a shorthand for a terrorist group.

Crazy, I know. :O
You know, i was a little too harsh. I apologise.

Just getting a little tired of reading people, screaming it's some kind of right wing attack, ya know.
I mean, the term is simply incorrect in English. You wouldn't refer to them as "leftists", even in normal conversation. You would refer to them as the (Japanese) New Left, because otherwise nobody is going to know what the fuck you're talking about.
Legit (not snarky) question. How would you have translated while keep both the original intent, as well it being succinct.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
I'd think most people don't want their enjoyment of a narrative subjected to unnecessary constraints simply for the purpose of maintaining some kind of idealized notion of genealogical purity. And if they were that passionate about that, they'd probably feel compelled to consume it in its original language.

I think you're missing my idea - it not about a notion of "purity". The idea is to give exposure to Japanese language (and therefor culture) in a more easily digestable way than simply studying the language the normal way. It's a teaching method. Basically, it's the same idea as the videogame Rocksmith, but for language. The wonky grammar is left wonky so that reader (or listeners) get a feel for both how the grammar works and how vocab is used to construct ideas.

But I do agree - it's not for everyone. It's for people who are interested in language specifically.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
You know, i was a little too harsh. I apologise.

Just getting a little tired of reading people, screaming it's some kind of right wing attack, ya know.

Legit (not snarky) question. How would you have translated while keep both the original intent, as well it being succinct.

If you're going for accuracy, the New Left, the Sect or the shin-sayoku would be more accurate, more understandable to someone who knows the context, and at least incite curiosity in anyone that doesn't.

If you're going for understandability, "terrorist" is frankly more than enough; the specific real-life Japanese movement that the terrorists are from is not particularly relevant to the plot and doesn't merit a detour to explain it to non-Japanese viewers. If you absolutely, positively need to be more specific, "far-left terrorist" or even "antiglobalization terrorist" would also be immediately understandable for an international audience.

"Leftist" is neither understandable to an international audience nor sufficiently precise even to someone aware of the New Left. It literally fails at every possible level.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're going for accuracy, the New Left, the Sect or the shin-sayoku would be more accurate, more understandable to someone who knows the context, and at least incite curiosity in anyone that doesn't.

If you're going for understandability, "terrorist" is frankly more than enough; the specific real-life Japanese movement that the terrorists are from is not particularly relevant to the plot and doesn't merit a detour to explain it to non-Japanese viewers. If you absolutely, positively need to be more specific, "far-left terrorist" or even "antiglobalization terrorist" would also be immediately understandable for an international audience.

"Leftist" is neither understandable to an international audience nor sufficiently precise even to someone aware of the New Left. It literally fails at every possible level.
Those are much better.

Again, i apologise for snapping at you.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
the gayest things you can do in anime ranked
  1. hold hands
  2. be worthy of their grace
  3. touch noses
  4. blush when someone speaks about them getting cancer
  5. say you're just cousins

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Are you arguing that the translator should have made the term more vague so American liberals wouldn't feel insulted because theyre too simple minded to understand context?

Are you a secret alt-right boy? Because you sure sound like one.
As to the the terrorist thing, I was under the impression it was a reference to the Aum Shinrikyo, which sure, you can call leftist and ignore it was a religious sect.... IF you're the type of person you likes to mislead people and have an agenda.

Oct 27, 2017
As to the the terrorist thing, I was under the impression it was a reference to the Aum Shinrikyo, which sure, you can call leftist and ignore it was a religious sect.... IF you're the type of person you likes to mislead people and have an agenda.
Weltall Zero's post above is a far better explanation than "translator wanted to get digs at us lefties because he's right wing."

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wat

it wasnt a religous sect, it was literally a leftist movement

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
The translator is an idiot who think that translating should be done word for word and without adapting the text to different grammar rules and such (for example "berserk" became "fury state" which doesn't make any sense in italian). It was basically the equivalent of a shitty fan-sub. Even the voice actors and the dub director complained about not being able to understand what they were supposed to say.

The guys is notorious for this, he also translated all the Ghibli movies and they're terrible too.
If you would stop talking out of your ass it would be better. The Italian adaptation is sure super crunchy but nothing on it "doesn't make sense" (unless that part they screwed up with confusing Gendo/Shinji but that wasn't the translator's fault but whoever further adapted the texts the translator gave)

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
If you would stop talking out of your ass it would be better. The Italian adaptation is sure super crunchy but nothing on it "doesn't make sense" (unless that part they screwed up with confusing Gendo/Shinji but that wasn't the translator's fault but whoever further adapted the texts the translator gave)
Sure man, if you say so.

Oct 27, 2017
So I just got to the part that everyone is upset about and I don't get it? Doesn't the like/love change actually make more sense since the characters literally just met like a day ago?

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The only thing changed was love to like? Everything else seems to be the same. I thought more would be cut. Seems pretty minor to me and the effect is still the same.

Their one or two episode "relationship" still seemed pretty "queer" to me.

I didn't know this character was only in 1 episode, wow.

So was he actually an Angel or not?

This show is confusing.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
The only thing changed was love to like? Everything else seems to be the same. I thought more would be cut. Seems pretty minor to me and the effect is still the same.

Their one or two episode "relationship" still seemed pretty "queer" to me.

I didn't know this character was only in 1 episode, wow.

So was he actually an Angel or not?

This show is confusing.
Having heard about the controversy and then finding out that the result was changing love to like, I get where you're coming from, but when you consider the context it is pretty blatant.

That moment is about Shinji getting validation through love. It's the first time he's experienced that from another person, in sharp contrast to his garbage father.

Changing it to "like" doesnt prevent the interaction from being homoerotic, but it's still a change that doesnt make much sense.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Having heard about the controversy and then finding out that the result was changing love to like, I get where you're coming from, but when you consider the context it is pretty blatant.

I see what you're saying. I expected a lot more when I heard about this news back when it first popped up.

I don't consider it much of a censorship cuz the homoerotic undertones are clearly still there. It seems the translator was arguing for it being more accurate? Or, open to interpretation?

I actually thought a shower scene was cut out or something.

Did Shinji reciprocate those feelings at all? The whole thing with this character is weird. For years and years online I've seen random images of this character like he was a big thing but he's almost nothing. I get that it's an important moment for Shinji but even the show itself forgets about it in the following episodes.

Such a weird show. I don't understand it but I want to.

This show is loaded with very Japanese style rhetorical/philosophical ideas but I have to ask if any of this really goes anywhere.

Guessing there's a ton of different analyses online out there?

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I see what you're saying. I expected a lot more when I heard about this news back when it first popped up.

I don't consider it much of a censorship cuz the homoerotic undertones are clearly still there. It seems the translator was arguing for it being more accurate? Or, open to interpretation?

I actually thought a shower scene was cut out or something.

Did Shinji reciprocate those feelings at all? The whole thing with this character is weird. For years and years online I've seen random images of this character like he was a big thing but he's almost nothing. I get that it's an important moment for Shinji but even the show itself forgets about it in the following episodes.

Such a weird show. I don't understand it but I want to.

This show is loaded with very Japanese style rhetorical/philosophical ideas but I have to ask if any of this really goes anywhere.

Guessing there's a ton of different analyses online out there?
I don't think the show does the best job of delivering its ending message, largely due to budget constraints and production issues.

It's worth watching End of Evangelion but also just reading a bit about Anno's intention with the ending. Lots of important concepts like AT fields and the human instrumentality project aren't properly explained in the show.