• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Daily Dot has published an article about a new Netflix documentary about a highly obscure Christian organization who has been working behind the scenes for 80 years in turning the U.S. into a theocracy, this organization is called Fellowship Foundation—also known as the Family. The Daily Dot reports this documentary is 5 hours in total length:

In Netflix docuseries The Family, director Jesse Moss delves into the once-secretive world of the Fellowship Foundation—also known as the Family—that is a Christian organization with a devotion to using politicians to evangelize the world.

The docuseries is based on the research and writing of Jeff Sharlet, a religious scholar who stumbled upon the Family by chance in 2002, when he spent time living at a remote compound in Arlington, Virginia, called Ivanwald. The "brothers" who lived at Ivanwald were young men and new recruits for the Fellowship—who believed they were followers of Jesus and doing God's work by serving His elected leaders: politicians. Sharlet chronicled his time at Ivanwald and information he discovered via two books, The Family and C-Street.

Led by the late Doug Coe—popularly referred to as the "Stealth Billy Graham"—the Fellowship Foundation fundamentally operates as an invisible theocracy in Washington, D.C., recruiting politicians to join the family and using influence to affect legislation. It's remained mostly behind the scenes, although you've probably heard of its biggest annual gathering: the National Prayer Breakfast.

The Family, however, unpacks how exactly the Fellowship derives from scripture and turns into yet another political entity abusing faith to obtain power. Firstly, the Fellowship waters down the Bible and distributes its own book that includes just the four gospels and the book of Acts. Secondly, the docuseries argues that the Fellowship ascribes to the belief that politicians were not just elected by U.S. citizens, but are imperfect vessels chosen by God to lead. This belief—along with the idea that when you sin, you only need to repent to be forgiven—gives elected politicians a way to avoid accountability when they stumble in office and uplifts the belief that God only chooses a select few, not everyone. The organization goes as far as to recall on King David and how even after he raped Bathsheba and ensured the death of her husband, God allowed him to remain king.
Cumulatively around five hours long, The Family attempts to unpack and scrutinize over 80 years of activity conducted by the Fellowship Foundation and its constituents.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
King David and how even after he raped Bathsheba and ensured the death of her husband, God allowed him to remain king.

I just want yo say that there are some fucked up things in the Bible.

And I will watch this documentary.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Despite its overbearingly bombastic editing making it look conspiratorial, this doc really isn't revealing a Stone Cutters "invisible hand" that secretly bends government to its will. It really seems to be reporting on a very believable Christian fraternity that simply doesn't like publicity and functions as a lobbying firm.

If you trained a camera on offices representing pharmaceuticals, electric utilities, teacher unions, and defense contractors - you would see the same wide spectrum of powerful people. K Street just lacks a creepy mansion and the 20-something interns aren't treated like frat pledges.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I think characterizing what this group does as lobbying is grossly inaccurate. They recruit and groom politicians and wealthy people by convincing them that their wealth and power elevates them in the eyes of Jesus. They more or less advocate the prosperity gospel and see wealth and power as proof that you are chosen by God to do his will.

That is incredibly dangerous, it harkens back to the days of divine right monarchies. That is not simply religious lobbying, it's a corruption of everything this country was founded on. Those people are dangerous and should be exposed for what they are - corrupters of not only the teachings of Jesus, but of the principles of our government as well.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I think characterizing what this group does as lobbying is grossly inaccurate. They recruit and groom politicians and wealthy people by convincing them that their wealth and power elevates them in the eyes of Jesus. They more or less advocate the prosperity gospel and see wealth and power as proof that you are chosen by God to do his will.

That is incredibly dangerous, it harkens back to the days of divine right monarchies. That is not simply religious lobbying, it's a corruption of everything this country was founded on. Those people are dangerous and should be exposed for what they are - corrupters of not only the teachings of Jesus, but of the principles of our government as well.

I just watched the series and I agree.

Jesus + nothing.

And it elevates the notion that only certain people are "chosen" and if you're chosen, then you can do no wrong.

They claim to just be doing work "in the name of Jesus" while meeting with some of the most brutal dictators and despots. And you see the movements they started in Uganda and Romania that they deny having to do anything with.

Being in Canada I was surprised to hear the name "Wilberforce" in one of the episodes as I was sure I ran across it before.

The Wilberforce project, previously known as Alberta Pro-Life, was active in supporting UCP nomination candidates, some of whom ultimately ran and were elected as MLAs.

Wilberforce project political director Cameron Wilson won't disclose how many candidates his group backed, or how many were successful

And yep they're here as well. They don't have an agenda, not at all they say.

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix is pretty hit or miss with their series, and fall more towards the miss category with movies, but their documentaries are usually pretty good

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this on Reddit but look who's in the background during the Mark Sanford press conference:

d6QL3xm.png

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Fiancee is watching this now. No wonder our country is so fucked up.

A group whose founder claimed God revealed to him that the leader of a successful strike was a Satanist and Soviet spy which kicked the whole thing off has influence in DC.