• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'm still never gonna understand the digging up super old tweets thing. Things that many people thought were "ok" to say a long time ago aren't seen as "ok" now. That doesn't make it right though but I'll never understand the extreme outrage when this happens.

I could get it if these things were like 3 or 4 years ago but not really 9 or 10

Last edited:

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
This is just flat out not true. Rupaul has had issues with transphobia in the past, and what the drag community does, does not change how that word has been used against trans people, which she is clearly referring to here. It has been an insult against us since long before 2011, and just because society at large wasn't listening to the people affected does not change that.

I didn't mean to take away that the word was used in a negative connotation and had a negative history and has always been a perjorative.

My main point was that people were using the word far more freely back then up until very recently and that attitude around it have changed.

JealousKenny

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
You need to nuke your Twitter once you become mainstream, every celebrity should know that by now. No amount of good behavior or work will help you once shit like that from years back gets unearthed. Just delete it all then close the account and make a new one.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
do u want fake apologies though if someone's opinion hasn't changed inside?
The whole apology thing is meaningless if her tweeting behavior doesn't change. I think most people believe this old stuff doesn't reflect her current behavior, so it's not going to be very hard to say something like "I was dumb and said things I shouldn't have, some of the most egregious of which was directed toward trans people. I am sorry to those I have hurt and offended and will continue to work to do better". Like, if she ain't tweeting transphobic stuff now...it's probably a sign that her apology is reflective of that change in behavior. Go figure.

Anyway I was going to come in here and say that I thought this must have been from her days when she was with MMA guy War Machine, and realized that all this time I've been confusing Chrissy Tiegen and Christy Mack

TheFuzz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Excusing Transphobia, History of Severe Infractions
It's just the trans ones that are questionable. Everything else is nothing than an average comedian would put on Twitter or in one of their sets. Who cares?

Why are those the ones that are 'questionable?'

It's old stupid stuff people said. How it affects you now or what we think is acceptable shouldn't matter. If you think the trans thing wasn't something a comedian would say 10 years ago then you had your head in a hole.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The juxtaposition of generic "taylor swift dates and dumps people for material" jokes, sarcastic comments poking at conservative fears of gay marriage, and other levels of harmless-to-edgelord shade alongside genuinely awful transphobic and sex-negative stuff is so weird in these tweets.
right??

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I couldn't possibly care less about the "saying mean things about successful artists" tweets, but the handful of transphobic ones are... yeah, not great. Hopefully she owns up to those.

Error404

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Excusing Transphobia, Account in Junior Phase
Why are those the ones that are 'questionable?'

It's old stupid stuff people said. How it affects you now or what we think is acceptable shouldn't matter. If you think the trans thing wasn't something a comedian would say 10 years ago then you had your head in a hole.

I only say questionable as in, I could see where some folks would be bothered by it. Me? I don't give a shit, nothing she said in those tweets seems outrageous.

Jan 18, 2018
I agree with you but still feel the need to point out the irony of posting that on Era.
Im not on era for the sole purpose of canceling somebody. Twitter by itself wouldnt be bad if it wasnt for the toxic environment it has slowly been growing into. Twitter and era are two different things, but i see what you are trying to say.
Era has interesting discussions, and theres also the element of being able to conversate with others that have the same interest as i.
And on another note, theres not much i can do while holding a sleeping newborn so when im stuck i find myself here.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
I think this whole thing is stupid. People say dumb shit; especially in the early days of social media. No reason to retroactively go apeshit. Literally zero. Like, there is no arguement, whatsoever, that someone could make about how this affects them right now. Like: "I'm mad this person said this thing years ago that I don't agree with." Ok? What is calling them out going to change? It will literally make no difference.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I see this nasty trend of trying to nail people for dumb bullshit they said years ago is taking off, as we all knew it would after the James Gunn fiasco.

Now all manner of no-life losers can fancy themselves big game hunters. All you need is an abundance of time and a grudge, and perhaps you'll be the next troll to take a celebrity down! Fun times.

Everyone who does this shit should have their full social media history bared to the world. See how they like the impossibly high standard they've set for others.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mean to take away that the word was used in a negative connotation and had a negative history and has always been a perjorative.

My main point was that people were using the word far more freely back then up until very recently and that attitude around it have changed.

I got called a Tranny and was attacked in the street.

This was in the late 80s. It's a word of hate.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand this culture of cancelling/dragging a person over old as hell jokes.
She tends to always joke about stuff in the news and pop culture crap. At the age she made these tweets (7-8 years ago) I would have found them funny. Not anymore. I grew up, she seems to have too. Give her a chance to respond at least.

The world is fucked and so much bad shit is happening. People need to stop investigating the past of this woman, James Gunn, and Doja Cat. JFC! 😜

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
Some of those are harmless. The "beautiful day in NYC. . ." tweet seems to be parodying gay marriage opponents, insulting celebrities isn't inherently a big deal, etc., etc.

She clearly, though, had massive blindspots when it came to trans issues and slut shaming. With the former, it's clear transness was at least outside her comfort zone, and her understanding of it crude and marginalizing; with the latter, she was straight up hateful, feeling free to call women whores and directly shame them simply for the sin of promiscuity.

It's not particularly surprising, honestly. Her has-it-togetherness always seemed to have a certain traditionalism to it, a certain capacity for judginess, and the combination of those two rarely comes without some baggage. I'd hope that, in the time since those tweets, she's expanded her bubble, sought out understanding, and put some of her more misguided impulses in check.

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017
Thank fuck for this, she's always acted so holier-than-thou. Glad to see her being taken down a few pegs.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to pretend there aren't bad ones in there, but what a poor selection by that person to make their point. Most of them are just making fun of/having an opinion on celebrities, and one is straight up trolling the GOP...

They've just gone hell for leather trying to get as many tweets as possible, which dilutes the message when it draws focus away from the actual shit ones.

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2019 is gonna be about digging up dirt on people isnt it?

Im okay with that, regardless if they changed or not. Its interesting to see who has changed and who has stayed the same.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uhm, I'm pretty sure that tweet about gays being able to marry and it being anarchy is a joke. Some people still need that sarcasm detector.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Some of those tweets aren't the least bit problematic. They're just making fun of celebs.
one of them requires to know about the rumor that Lady Gaga was a man that was before people knew of a clip of her on a MTV (prank?) show with dark hair appeared.

wait one of them is just making fun of tea party people. did people really just pick some random ones to throw in there as well?

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Meh, they're nothing special. And considered her views on Trump this is probably being put out there by the wrong people and for the wrong motives.

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Is that woman in the op supposed to be Chrissy Teigen?

I googled her bc I had no idea who she is and the pictures look nothing like the woman in the op.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow she's both homophobic and transphobic.Fuck her.
I'm preeeeetty sure that tweet about gay marriage was sarcasm and poking fun at conservatives who react like that. Other than that I won't argue that her more controversial ones are indeed more... problematic. Having said that there are definitely some tweets there that are completely inoffensive and their inclusion puzzle me completely.

Let's not forget she's also a huge Trump critic (she boasts loudly that she got herself blocked by Trump on Twitter even) so I can't shake the feeling this was a dirty campaign against her by the usual suspects not unlike that of James Gunn's.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it looks like she's change so I think a warning should suffice.

...a "warning"? I didn't know the internet had been given the collective authority to police and moderate people's bloody Twitter feeds.

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. You've got people trawling social media accounts looking for anything questionable at all so they can try to kill the career of whatever celebrity they've set their sights on. This Chrissy Teigen has nearly 67000 tweets and because less than half a dozen from eight years ago are bad, it's something we should care about or pay attention to or demand apologies or send out "warnings" for?

This is pathetic. Searching through 67000 tweets to find anything that can be used against someone is pathetic. Believing we have any authority to police other people's social media accounts is pathetic.

Yeah she wrote some bad things in the past and if she wants to own up to that then it can only be a good thing, but in no way shape or form can or should we demand or place the expectation upon her to do so for our approval. This isn't fucking 1984 and everything we write or say should not be monitored and censored and sanitised lest someone drag any of it out into the open, even ten years later, like a pair of dirty underwear for the world to punish you for.

This whole thing is so stupid and not only are folks normalising it but they're encouraging it and taking part in it like a mob with pitchforks and torches regardless of who is being targeted or why. I guess getting to feel morally superior for a few minutes is worth ruining someone's career for?

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Some posts in here are more problematic than Chrissy could ever post. "Just famous for marrying a singer is some vile sexist shit". Her modeling work is so hot it'll melt your retinas when you look at her.

That said she should most definitely apologize for the transphobic tweets that shit has no place in society.

Also Lana del Rey is sick now.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
You know those people who are famous but you have no idea what they look like or what they do

Yeah, this person is that for me... I'm still not sure what a Chrissy Teigen is

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
it's funny that they have tweets like "lana del mehhhh" mixed in with the transphobic stuff as if it's just as bad
lol exactly what I thought reading them. Like they only found 3 tweets that are a real problem, but they couldn't just post 3 and had to inflate that shit.
But I guess pop stans will take more issue with "miley cyrus makes me appreciate taylor swift" than her calling people "tranny"

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
You need to nuke your Twitter once you become mainstream, every celebrity should know that by now. No amount of good behavior or work will help you once shit like that from years back gets unearthed. Just delete it all then close the account and make a new one.

If all I did was win a modest amount in the lottery making me even somewhat public, at least locally, I'd scrub then nuke all of my social media. I can only imagine how far I'd go if I were to become legit famous.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Why is it 'good' that people found some problematic tweets from her years ago? You seem so petty. Did she do you wrong or something?

Just seems weird that you seem so happy.
Good, in a sense that let's hope this stop her from being shoved into our faces everywhere Kardashian-style, at least a little.
She's an annoying glorified "social media celebrity".

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
These tweets are old enough that I don't care. Nothing she said was so heinous as to not believe she could grow past it.

I'm convinced this was started by Britney Spears fans after she recently tweeted that her new song is bad or something. The replies to that were intense.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bueno! I love this so much. People can change but, in order to do we have to expose them for who they truly are. Dig into their pasts, find everything they said and air it out.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
WTF

Our President of the United States Trump is still standing for vocally "grabbing them by the p#ssy" and people want to cancel Chrissy because of her sarcasm and PerezHilton.com-comments-section of celebrity shade? Her trans wording needs an update but I don't think any of it is done from malicious intent.

This all seems like the workings of pop star stans, Alt-Righters, and/or Russians who know nothing about sarcasm. Cancel them.