• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Yep, definitely agreed. There's still a weird attitude around it, I think some people haven't got the memo that it's alright now. When I built my new PC I would usually use it to go download Chrome but I've just stuck with it now. Great browser.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
If you tend to use more Microsoft services than Google services, then yeah, Edge is definitely the way to go. My only real complain with it is that some sites claim to be incompatible with it and suggest that you use Chrome, but I suspect that's just an oversight in terms of how those sites detect your browser.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. It's impressive how fast it can download other browser's setup files. Hope Microsoft keeps working to get that time time even further down.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly been using chrome forever and never decided to shop around I guess, "what's not broken blah blah blah". Although I do notice chrome is fucking resource thirsty. it swallows up everything I have, as I also tend to use a lot of tabs.
Yep. That was one of the biggest reasons I ditched Chrome for Edge. I usually have a ton of tabs open and Chrome is a beast.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Edge is absolutely incredible as a browser. Still some issues but I enjoy it more than Chrome in nearly every aspect. It and Vivaldi are the top two Chromium browsers for me.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Yee I switched to edge during the spring of this year, and I've been quite happy with it

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Needs more sorting features for Bookmarks and Passwords like Firefox, but otherwise very solid.

Had been using Firefox as my main browser since the IE8 launch debacle back in 2009 until this year when I switched to Edge with Firefox Nightly on the side. On that note, Mozilla have been quite disappointing of late.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
I'm first and foremost a safari user as a Mac user, but I still dabble in other browsers for work and stuff. and I like edge a lot but I almost feel like it has too many features now...and chrome is just chrome. Same as I always remember it just better. Which I kind of appreciate. Don't get me wrong, Chrome is all bloat behind the scenes but that's just my take.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this a copy/pasta?

No, it's the result of spending over half a decade fixing shitty bugs on broken Microsoft browsers.

They had many chances to set things right, instead they repeated the same mistakes multiple times.

While web technologies were trying to move forward, Microsoft's browsers were like pulled-up handbrakes and it was all because of how convenient, or inconvenient in this case, Microsoft made it to update their browsers or help people use more modern ones. Even if Edge is considerably better and a very competent browser, they are pushing people to use it the same way they did with Internet Explorer and I've seen the end of that road three or four times. It's never good.

Last edited:

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
I still use Firefox as my main - don't see that changing, just don't love the Chromium base, but Edge has totally replaced Chrome as my secondary/backup browser. I use Chrome as my backup on my Macbook - but if Edge is also good on MacOS.. I may need to try that. Safari is total garbage.

Also for some reason its the only browser a lot of streaming apps will allow for full resolution rather than restricting to 720p or lower (Hulu, come on now) on Windows so it gets a lot of use from that for me as well.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
if they didn't went with google on ManifestV3, id totally see myself using it as my main, but with Firefox not dropping adblockers and the perf improvements on the last 3-5 versions, i don't think ill be dropping it anytime soon.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I've been thinking of switching to Edge for a while. I've been using Firefox on my PC for years but I hate how sluggish it's become over time, it feels like it never unloads the RAM it's used even after closing multiple tabs.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I only use it for 4k video watching. Otherwise, I'm on Firefox. Maybe I should look into Edge more

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I have yet to see any decent reason to leave Firefox.
I mean now I think about it, Edge is the only PC browser that allows you to stream from netflix and amazon prime and stuff in 4k
whenever I watch netflix in the edge browser the quality is way better

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
If I didn't read this forum, I'd probably be totally unaware of Chrome as a "resource hog." Never felt my computer get slow or laggy when using Chrome. Sorry but it's overblown. Now that I'm on an M1 Pro machine, there's literally no chance I'll ever have performance problems because of Chrome.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Edge is fantastic. Replaced Chrome for me and haven't looked back. Unrelated but I remember it would keep crashing my entire computer, and the culprit was not Edge but... Proctorio, a spyware app my college makes us install. Once I got rid of it never crashed since.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
If I didn't read this forum, I'd probably be totally unaware of Chrome as a "resource hog." Never felt my computer get slow or laggy when using Chrome. Sorry but it's overblown. Now that I'm on an M1 Pro machine, there's literally no chance I'll ever have performance problems because of Chrome.

I mean, just check your resource logs. The proof is in the pudding.

I was a huge chrome fan, for years. But it was around 2017 that I started noticing 60-80% of my ram being eaten up by Chrome. And this was back when I was running with a pretty barebones laptop.

Now I have a pretty decent rig. And I still have Chrome for testing and work, so I use it fairly often and my current PC has good enough specs to run it pretty smoothly.

But still, it blows my mind that Edge can match Chrome feature for feature while being way less resource intensive.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
It's been my browser of choice since just after it came out (the new one, of course). It is fantastic.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup I switched over from Google Chrome and never looked back. It has some issues on IOS, but it still generally works pretty well there as well.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I went browser hopping last year and ultimately settled on Vivaldi for a couple of reasons

• I need a browser that offers sync support.
  • I need a browser that has AdBlock built in on the Android version
  • I need a browser that works on Android, Windows and Linux (I dual boot between Windows and Zorin OS)
Vivaldi hit all of those for me and I've been super happy with it.

Now that Edge has a Linux version, it'll be my go-to if I ever decide to move on from Vivaldi, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Nov 30, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Trolling across multiple threads, recently warned for similar behavior
Why are we supporting a company that is going all in on NFT's?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I still use Firefox as my main - don't see that changing, just don't love the Chromium base, but Edge has totally replaced Chrome as my secondary/backup browser. I use Chrome as my backup on my Macbook - but if Edge is also good on MacOS.. I may need to try that. Safari is total garbage.

Also for some reason its the only browser a lot of streaming apps will allow for full resolution rather than restricting to 720p or lower (Hulu, come on now) on Windows so it gets a lot of use from that for me as well.
That's exactly my use case. Firefox (or Waterfox once it updates to the new backend since it's all but inevitable) as the main, Edge as the backup browser. I still have Vivaldi installed with the hope that it'll one day take over from Firefox, but it lacks too many things to make that a possibilty.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
This thread convinced me to finally give it a shot. Imported all my stuff from Chrome and it feels pretty nice, though I will likely miss the Google ecosystem I use for everything else, at least for a while.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
I try to use Edge when steaming Netflix 4K but the video stream consistently breaks with what looks like encoding glitches.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
It's objectively resource heavy. Extremely memory hungry. It's bloated.

I don't think there's a browser that's worse in that respect. I think Firefox comes closest but still trails last I checked.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, OP. Best thing MS makes next to VS Code. Tab grouping and tab sleeping are a life savers.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Vivaldi's my main browser for work, as the feature set is extensive and I like options and customization.

However, for work, Edge is the best. It's the most compatible browser with what I use, and my bookmarks and such are saved in the cloud.

Yesssss.

Wide monitor here. I don't know if any other browser has this feature, but when Edge brought out the vertical tabs? Changed the game for me.

Vivaldi has the vertical tabs feature too. It's VERY nice and I was happy to see Edge adopt it. Here's a picture of it in action on Vivaldi in Windows 11:

vivaldi_d1xlpusjdyj8kqx.png

Last edited:

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I tried out Edge a while back, but scrolling was wonky in that it kind of populated the page as I scrolled, like a short draw distance in a open world game.

Does it still do that?

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I tried out Edge a while back, but scrolling was wonky in that it kind of populated the page as I scrolled, like a short draw distance in a open world game.

Does it still do that?
Edge was a bit buggy when it first came out.

I can almost guarantee performance will be aces for you currently. When they moved to Chromium backend, things really came together. But even before then non-Chromium Edge was hitting above its weight for a while too, imo.

They really did a bangup job.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Yep I use it on my work computer, switched early last year after chrome was just a massive resource hog. It's great and I get free reward points.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I mean now I think about it, Edge is the only PC browser that allows you to stream from netflix and amazon prime and stuff in 4k
whenever I watch netflix in the edge browser the quality is way better

One of the main benefits is 4k streaming on (most of) the streaming services.

There are ways around it with extensions for other browsers but it's convoluted to say the least.

Odd, I wonder why that is? It's not going to bother me in the slightest as I don't have a 4K monitor (only upgraded to a 1440P ultrawide earlier this year) and it's going to be another few years before I do, by which time the other browsers will surely have sorted themselves out. But it is odd that only Edge can do it, natively or otherwise.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Edge is great, for all the reasons already mentioned.

I'm also gonna put a vote in for Bing. I switched from Google to Bing a couple of months ago when I was "degoogling" and while I'd have preferred a more privacy focussed search engine, only Bing is able to reach the same level of result quality as Google. It's not quite there yet with some of it's cards, but overall I really enjoy the experience there.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using Edge for a few months, and it's great, basically just a better Chrome. My only problem is that its Android version drains my battery crazy fast for some reason (like 100-0 in half an hour), so no sync for me, but oh well.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's a better Chrome, same engine and (imo) better ui. Great browser for development.

But I'll always stick to Firefox, too, as I don't want to work in a web world with two browser engines driven by mega corps (Apple and Google). Urgh.