• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
The vast majority of gaming companies don't even give you the license/right to stream their games, but are happy to accept it because of the marketing opportunities that brings. Though that could change at any moment, and there's certainly been cases in the past where developers have gone after streamers under DMCA for reasons or no reason, and it's entirely legal.

The RIAA certainly aren't seeing any marketing opportunities from the use of their members content, and quite understandably want to be paid.

I mean, I understand how it's developed, but no one would bat an eyelid at a streamer getting hit with a DMCA takedown if they were just playing Metallica's DVD of Live Shit: Binge and Purge, but you slap a game over the top and everyone thinks it's fine and Metallica have no rights anymore? That it's sufficiently transformative? It's a weird situation to be in.

Are you a member of the RIAA? I don't see how that's a reasonable take. Just because a company owns a song that shouldn't mean that are able to bully and cajole everyone else to pay for them money for every existence of the those sounds and that shouldn't mean that their song rights supersede everyone else's. Someone plays music in the background while your streaming, they own the whole content. We're basically at the stage where the RIAA owns sound waves, which is way beyond what copyright was intended for.

It basically is rentiering of soundwaves, 🤔, we really are close to the end game of capitalism. The companies "struggling" for revenue sit on these assets perpetually, and look for more ways they can gain revenue from them and they don't create much new content and stifle others from creating new content.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
The DMCA is hilariously outdated with respect to how media is consumed in 2021.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There were muted portions on the night of the Presidential inauguration celebration on Twitch.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
If anything, it certainly improved whatever shit those dinosaurs were playing.
I wish people and companies would not use music from shit organisations. Just let them die in the past, like all the rest of the dinosaurs.
Your title suggests you're at least somewhat older. Your post suggests you're an edgy teen. Huh.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Didn't know there was a Metallica performance. Gonna have to watch it. Love Metallica. One of the few bands I went to go see live (the others being Paramore and Foo Fighters).

Oct 25, 2017
Full VOD of this with chat replay is still available

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Starting at 1:11:30

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I wish people and companies would not use music from shit organisations. Just let them die in the past, like all the rest of the dinosaurs.

Do you have some personal issues with Metallica or something ? Did they do something to you ? Yeesh, such a strong reaction to a music band

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
4a4.gif

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
Old age is relative.

I remember being 25 and thinking 30 was old. I mean I vaguely remember that, it was quite some time ago now...

Metallica have always been old though.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Im glad it happened to Metallica because I can't think of a single thing more appropriate than this sweet divine karma

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah someone is going to have to recap why there's significance to this happening to Metallica specifically.

Edit: Grief, thanks for pointing it out. No idea how I forgot about that, lol. I was thinking this was something new that happened recently. Whoops.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yeah someone is going to have to recap why there's significance to this happening to Metallica specifically.

Edit: Grief, thanks for pointing it out. No idea how I forgot about that, lol. I was thinking this was something new that happened recently. Whoops.

Because they have a history of going nuclear, and them appearing without any sort of warning is putting the livelihood of so many streamers at risk. Screw that shit. There were many, many people across the different services restreaming the event. For what. To get their channels closed down and demonetised because of some stupid song?

Jamaro

Oct 27, 2017
Because they have a history of going nuclear, and them appearing without any sort of warning is putting the livelihood of so many streamers at risk. Screw that shit.There were many, many people across the different services restreaming the event. For what. To get their channels closed down and demonetised because of some stupid song?
Yeah if this was getting other people in trouble because they were inadvertantly violating DMCA or whatever with Metallica being a surprise pop up on a stream they were restreaming, that sounds like a mess.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

EDIT: People really don't like this post. 🤣

Lol what did they do to you?

Feb 24, 2018

Because it's the truth (both your general point and Metallica being crap) (:

Really it's one of the only ways things will change is if other organisations who can make their own or go elsewhere. It takes groups like RIAA's power away from them and forces them to change or die.

DOWN WITH THE MESOZOIC!!!! UP WITH THE CENOZOIC!!!!!!!!

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Is there a reason that DMCA takedowns have become much more aggressive recently (especially on streaming platforms like Twitch)? It was always an issue, but I don't know if there's a tangible reason or event in the past year or so to point to as the catalyst. A new algorithm?
From what I've heard from either Devin Nash or Harris Heller ,cant remember which one, (they analyze things going on with twitc) it has a lot to do with covid. They said that some musicians started streaming on twitch and that along with greatly increased viewership caught the eye of the music industry. That's why it went off like a bomb all of a sudden and had everyone scrabbling to delete shit .

BradleyLove

Oct 29, 2017

People don't like this post because it's ageist. Particularly like how you self-congratulate yourself on your ageism.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
As a streamer, the continued aggression of DMCA and copyrights on both twitch and youtube is ridiculous. I wanted to stream a playthrough of life is strange until i realized the 90% of the soundtrack is music that twitch will strike and then completely mute my videos. Theres a "streamer" mode for the game that removes the music, but it isnt worth it. Music creates so much of the atmosphere in games.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss Mixer. It still boggles my mind people still use twitch with these kinds of issues when there were more alternatives.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

EDIT2: This was in a way expressing frustration against their previous actions and the high possibility of streamers that were restreaming the event getting hit with DMCA strikes because these people are known to do so. Never mind me, I guess it was stupid of me to post this and it's best to not engage further.

Can someone elucidate me on the subject? In what way was Metallica ultimately wrong with their case vs Napster? They were fighting for the right of music ownership and distribution. In a forum where even supporting piracy is a banable offense I'm confused how we are defending Napster here.

I'm not supporting the RIAA and the DMCAs that have been happening, it's ridiculous, but I'm confused how Metallica became a terrible organization somehow (or that they are dinosaurs, when if anything they have been very progressive with the way they distribute music compared to other bands from their time).

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Can someone elucidate me on the subject? In what way was Metallica ultimately wrong with their case vs Napster? They were fighting for the right of music ownership and distribution. In a forum where even supporting piracy is a banable offense I'm confused how we are defending Napster here.

I'm not supporting the RIAA and the DMCAs that have been happening, it's ridiculous, but I'm confused how Metallica became a terrible organization somehow (or that they are dinosaurs, when if anything they have been very progressive with the way they distribute music compared to other bands from their time).

As I said, it was stupid of me to word my frustration that way. :D

Basically it boils down to: streamer gets permission to restream BlizzCon from Blizzard. Blizzard decides to play a Metallica song during BlizzCon. Streamer never really got permission for that song to be streamed. Now they get hit with DMCA and potentially lose the income that was literally putting food on their table.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

Many were mad at who was doing it (ultra rich Metallica). But pretending Napster and other music stealing sites weren't going to get whacked anyway is naive.